Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
Metal Shed\Shop Build #8496684 01/06/22 06:01 PM
nak Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
From this thead before Christmas..

We are moving forward with putting in a 25' x 30' x 10' Shop/storage building in the next month or so. ...which pales by comparison to the great Barndo Build thread...but there has been some great info and advice in that tread, so I'm starting one for my build.

We are in Wise County, so no building code, permits, or inspections to worry about. We do have an HOA, and the ACC request, along with drawing, was submitted to them two weeks ago. There are similar building in the subdivision, so hopefully there will not be a problem with the approval.

This is probably a 2-year project. Building w electrical this year. Interior will be next year.
I have a history of going significantly overboard\overbuilding with previous projects. The required spousal approval for the project was secured based upon assurances that I will keep the budget under control, and that she will maintain oversight on the scope. wife

We've reached out to a number of places for quotes, based on the following:
25' x 30' Red Iron structure,
10' side walls, 4/12 pitched gable roof.
One 8'x12' overhead door with foam insulated panels, one 4'x7' walk door, and four 3' x 3' double pained windows.
No insulation
Slab - #3500 psi concrete and rebar on 18" centers.

The vehicle door will go on the 30' side, 2' off the wall. The personnel door goes on the 25' gabled wall, opposite of the vehicle door. No window on the wall facing the back of our lot.

So far, the best looking quote is from JNC Metal Works, and they can potentially do the work in mid Feb. I got one cheaper quote, but it was July - Aug.

I want to make sure I am covering the bases before we start work.

The building for 1] storage, to get stuff out of the garage. (Zero Turn mower and other lawn\gardening stuff, shelves and shelves of storage totes. Big power tools) 2] At least some of the storage space must be climate controlled (per spousal unit). 3] Workshop area, with a permanent reloading bench. 4] Room to work on a vehicle, without having to move other stuff out or block access to the stuff already in the building.

Save the suggestions that I build something big enough to store an RV. The location of this shop would not be conducive to getting an RV in\out.

Slab
2" PVC conduit to bring in underground elect.
While I do not 'plan' on putting in water and septic, I'll get them to rough in a toilet flange and a water line into the back corner.
3' ramp leading into the 8'x'12' door
Anything else that needs to go into the slab, that would be a pita later, if I do not do it now?

Building
No insulation by the builder. No ridge vents
2'x'2' frame for potential gable vents on both ends, but the opening will not be cut out.

Originally, I was going to finish out and AC a 10 X 16 space for a work area and reloading bench. But after the wife insisted she wanted additional climate controlled space for storing some of her stuff, we've arrived at just foaming the entire building, and building a dedicated reloading bench, plus a general purpose work bench, along one 25' wall. We will not enclose the area, instead we will just heat\cool the entire building.

The current plan is to do 2" of closed cell foam on the walls and ceiling (after the electrical is done}. and put in a 1 ton Mini Split ( maybe this year, but probably next year)
Any thoughts on 1 ton being enough? In addition to the insulation, the building will be well shaded in the summer. It does not have to stay 72 year round. Since the plan is to pretty much run it year round, the AC does not need to be able to cool the shop down rapidly.

The entire shop will get 8' plywood or OSB attached to the sidewall grits. (Likely a next year project). I'm saying we are only going 8' to save money. I am hoping the wife will want to go the full wall height once she sees it bolt
I'd love 3/4" plywood, but not at todays prices. I will probably end up with 1/2. That is sufficient or hanging light stuff from the walls. Big [censored] will just have to be free standing.

Will probably paint the exposed foam, but I will let my wife bring that up also.

How much lighting for something this size. There are some 72 watt 8' LED strip on Amazon that might work.

I am trying not to go overboard with the electrical.
One 50 amp 120/240 near the vehicle door for the welder and anything else crazy that might be needed. Wresting with code on this. That technically needs a GFCI, but EVERY time I have seen a GFCI on a welder or 50 amp RV plug, they have been a constant PITA de to nuisance trips.
Two 20 amp circuits for GFCI protected plugs around the entire building.
A 20 amp circuit for the lights, door opener, and AC
A 20 amp circuit for a couple of outside outlets.
A 20 amp spare.
This lets me stay within the 6-throw rule, so I do not need a panel with a main breaker.
I plan on going with a 6 space, 70 amp, main lug panel, fed from a 70 breaker in the house.

OK Hive Mind, Tell me what I am doing right and wrong...

Last edited by nak; 01/06/22 06:07 PM.

NRA Lifer / Member TSRA
Life is too short to go quail hunting with the wrong folks.
Re: Metal Shed\Shop Build [Re: nak] #8505223 01/16/22 07:04 AM
B
Blank Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
Sounds pretty good all around. The non-standard 4'x7' personnel door is a waste of money. A standard 3'0" x 6'8" is plenty big, way cheaper, and you have a roll up door for anything bigger!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide