Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8483982 12/22/21 08:42 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Plain & simple, Ol' Thump got hisself punked. Someone did something to him that he couldn't imagine doing to someone else.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Hudbone] #8484007 12/22/21 09:18 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Plain & simple, Ol' Thump got hisself punked. Someone did something to him that he couldn't imagine doing to someone else.

Yelp, especially since he told them why. It stinks that it makes everyone look bad, and closed another hunting opportunity door

I’d be mad in his shoes also.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8484017 12/22/21 09:27 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I just don't get it. I've hunted a lot of different ranches alone in the blind with numerous deer that were off limits, and never shot one of them. When in doubt, don't shoot (I do understand honest mistakes happen). In this case though, this guy knew that buck was off limits and didn't care. Pretty messed up. Anyway....

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8484255 12/23/21 01:30 AM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Man I have had the sorriest friends since way back bang

A really close childhood friend of our family had a couple of hundred acres just south of Blooming Grove that had about a 16 acre lake on it full of fish.
He told me I could fish it whenever I wanted to and could bring some friends as long as they do not litter or go out there without me.

Well I took a group of my buddies out there, explained the rules no littering or coming out there without me per the land owner.
We had a great time, caught a lot of fish, drank a lot of beer life was good until those azz wipes went out there without me and left a bunch of beer cans on the property.

One of the neighbors saw them leaving the place music blaring and called in, the eldest brother went out there got pissed rightfully so and that ended the fishing out there.

texas Faith, Family and Freedom flag

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8484302 12/23/21 02:11 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I am with you Ol Thumper, people get stupid when it comes to shooting bucks. I have even seen the " I thought it was a doe" when a giant buck was on the ground.
A family friend was hunting at my brothers place a while back. He was given instructions and pictures of a seven pointer that he could shoot, or any doe.
He shot a monster 10 pointer... at 25 yards. He is a friend and still comes around, but has never been allowed to shoot at another animal of any kind.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8484612 12/23/21 11:50 AM
C
Catperch Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
C
I have had 2 guests on my place in the 3 years I've been hunting it. 2 guests and 2 injured bucks. One was from my 69 year old dad shooting it in the butt running away from him and blowing out his crotch and telling me he missed a doe. I killed the buck a couple weeks later to figure it all out. If someone hunts with me, the only direction i give them is that it has to be legal and ethical. If they kill the state record while hunting on my lease I'd be jealous but happy for them. With that said, I'm not a big antler managing guy and happy to see a decent buck in the thick woods of East Texas, although there are many. I don't blame Ole Thump a bit though in his situation. That's why I hunt alone, but I'm a loner and the close friends I do have all have their own leases to hunt anyway.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: skinnerback] #8484758 12/23/21 02:55 PM
TurkeyHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by skinnerback
I just don't get it. I've hunted a lot of different ranches alone in the blind with numerous deer that were off limits, and never shot one of them. When in doubt, don't shoot (I do understand honest mistakes happen). In this case though, this guy knew that buck was off limits and didn't care. Pretty messed up. Anyway....

It’s because you can be trusted to behave like a guest and respect the landowners wishes.

To be determined
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8484782 12/23/21 03:17 PM
K
Ktexas14 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
Originally Posted by skinnerback

It’s because you can be trusted to behave like a guest and respect the landowners wishes.

It is pretty wild how some people just dont know how to be a guest anywhere really. Take what you are offered and no more. It really isnt that hard.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8484814 12/23/21 03:43 PM
A
Auctioneer1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
That’s why I don’t let guests on the place period.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ktexas14] #8484823 12/23/21 03:49 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Ktexas14
It is pretty wild how some people just dont know how to be a guest anywhere really.

It's not going to get better. Extremely few parents are teaching their children a dam thing about it. A friend's little kid recently spoke to me (the hunt host) in a way that, if I were the little guy in that situation, my butt woulda been yanked out of that chair by my dad, taken outside, and made to ache for a week. Instead, his name was just called, not even that loud, oh, but in a stern tone. realmad

These parents are not doing their children any favors. I've seen it in my brother's own children. They do not find what you'd call a successful, or even happy life. But I digress.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8485446 12/24/21 03:55 AM
C
cos Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Been there and done that. Great experiance for the kid despite the circumstances. One day you may have chance to explain to him when he gets older about respecting other peoples property. I now print out my rules now and hand it to guest. My rules include a fine now. It has worked so far.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8485472 12/24/21 05:20 AM
K
kkfish Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
I have a buddy that has a small lease to hunt and has great fishing. I help him do a lot and he carries me to hunt and mostly fishing. He doesn’t carry many and we do some hunting in texas and keep it to me and him. This topic reminds me of why. U know how u have a buddy then they have one and next thing u know it’s outta control so we keep everything to ourselves which works best. He has several fishing spots and I would never even think about making any my own. Some folks are that way about hunting and fishing period. When I deer hunt with him I mainly just watch cause ain’t shooting anything unless it’s bigger than what I have and let his girls shoot those deer. He earned those places not me so I follow his rules and all works fine. We drink more beer and have fun more than anything. Some folks want a picture on social media and will do almost anything to get it so we keep it close. Loose lips sink ships is what happens around here.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: 603Country] #8485473 12/24/21 05:23 AM
H
HS2 Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted by 603Country
Way back when I did hosting hunts, I ran across every kind of hunter, from great to awful. One guy I can never forget. We told all guests that it was 8 points or better, then put them in the box stands. Later that morning we picked them up, and one guy had shot a 4 point. I’d have fussed at him, but he was truly shaking with buck fever. I had never seen that degree of shaking before, particularly an hour after he had shot. It was his first deer, and he was way beyond counting antler points. He was my guest, and I knew him well, but I didn’t give him much of a fuss..

The first time I was ever in a blind with a gun and saw a deer, I got buck fever pretty bad and all I saw was a doe. I started shaking, heart was pumping, I got nervous, started sweating even though it was about 27 degrees. But I didn’t shoot it because I had been told not to shoot any does. Even though someone gets nervous and wants a deer, it does not justify violating clear rules.

Podcast: Reasoning Through the Bible
ReasoningThroughTheBible.com
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: scalebuster] #8487029 12/26/21 03:07 PM
B
bigolebutt Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted by scalebuster
It’s just a deer. Not worth losing a friend over.

Be happy for your friend, not like he shot your prized steer

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: kkfish] #8487057 12/26/21 03:56 PM
W
WestTN_TX Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Originally Posted by kkfish
I have a buddy that has a small lease to hunt and has great fishing. I help him do a lot and he carries me to hunt and mostly fishing. He doesn’t carry many and we do some hunting in texas and keep it to me and him. This topic reminds me of why. U know how u have a buddy then they have one and next thing u know it’s outta control so we keep everything to ourselves which works best. He has several fishing spots and I would never even think about making any my own. Some folks are that way about hunting and fishing period. When I deer hunt with him I mainly just watch cause ain’t shooting anything unless it’s bigger than what I have and let his girls shoot those deer. He earned those places not me so I follow his rules and all works fine. We drink more beer and have fun more than anything. Some folks want a picture on social media and will do almost anything to get it so we keep it close. Loose lips sink ships is what happens around here.

I have an "acquaintance" like this. He has never hunted, wants to hunt, but honestly just wants to shoot a buck to put on Instagram. He turned down the opportunity to shoot a doe two years ago and that told me all I needed to know. He's mid 30's and I suggested to look into some adult mentored hunting programs. He responded with "That's remedial s***."

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8487944 12/27/21 06:02 PM
B
BrazosHunter Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I'm afraid that this is just a sign of the times.. very little personal integrity left in the average Joe...

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: WestTN_TX] #8487950 12/27/21 06:07 PM
K
Ktexas14 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Originally Posted by WestTN_TX
Originally Posted by kkfish

I have an "acquaintance" like this. He has never hunted, wants to hunt, but honestly just wants to shoot a buck to put on Instagram. He turned down the opportunity to shoot a doe two years ago and that told me all I needed to know. He's mid 30's and I suggested to look into some adult mentored hunting programs. He responded with "That's remedial s***."

I dont get it, i went to an acquaintances property, I was just happy for the opportunity and super excited to get a doe last year. People dont understand how to appreciate the opportunities anymore .

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide