Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8482145 12/21/21 01:25 AM
F
Fltmedic Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
That stinks, sorry to hear this. I’ll probably sit with most ppl who hunt our place for that reason. My BIL who has never hunted to my knowledge wants to shoot a deer. He may not want to once he finds out I’ll be sitting next to him. And we will need to walk to the blind that’s about .5 mile away. He’s a big boy and I’m not sure if he’s gonna be excited about walking that distance in the dark across rocky terrain. We shall see. I’m not willing to let him go at it alone especially not knowing much about deer. We shall see if he’s still game once he gets the details.

Don't take life so seriously, you'll never make it out alive!
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8482218 12/21/21 02:35 AM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
I’m sure some of you have bad stories about guests or friends killing the wrong deer but I had a cluster screw ball mess over Thanksgiving with family coming to hunt and I learned my lesson doing that, or so I thought hammer I let a long time friend that has hunted his entire life take his kid hunting this morning to go after a specific 8 point and he called to say they can’t find him so I go down and help them look for it. Guess what, they mistook the 8 point at 40 yards for a 12 point that I had showed him pictures of to watch out for since he shows up daily. I was beyond pissed off but I acted happy for the sake of the kids hunt and told him I was proud of him but I took dad aside afterwards and it wasn’t a pleasant conversation. I’m even more pissed off he put me in that situation, the days of letting anyone hunt without me in the stand with them are 100% over and I’m not getting in the blind with anyone so the gigs up. Rant Over

I 100% agree, it is all about respect. I hunt on a close friends place and Will not take a shot without consent ( low fence fair chase). I know it is the State of Texas deer but I am on his property.

MUST BE RESPECTFUL.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8482266 12/21/21 03:00 AM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
You handled it with class with the kid. And I'm sorry you're experiencing issues with guests.
Once upon a time being a guest was my only option and only shooting what I was told, even just getting to go and enjoy camp was a privilege. So the concept of violating a friendship that way does not compute for me.
Having my own land I have opportunities to share with friends and it is something I'm happy to do. Especially those who cannot afford to go otherwise. I had one wound two doe the other day and I wasn't happy. Especially about the bad shooting or his lack of concept about the implications. The fact those were deer another person wouldn't get to shoot. And the fact he expected justvthe shoot another the next morning. Now I'm not saying he won't get an invite back but next time I'll be clear he gets one deer, and blood counts as that deer recovery or no.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8482286 12/21/21 03:04 AM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Father typed up as set of rules and all guest hunters were required to read the rules prior to hunting.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8482359 12/21/21 04:09 AM
K
kkfish Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
That’s the kind of stuff that messes it up for everyone. I will say most folks know better and wouldn’t do that but just takes one genius.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8482388 12/21/21 04:26 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Nobody shoots a gun on my ranch unless I'm there with them. I learned that a long time ago.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Davis300] #8482411 12/21/21 04:58 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Davis300
One of the main reasons I quit letting “friends” hunt my place. People flat have no respect and very little common sense these days. I pay for the feed, I mow, I fix fences, feeders, 4wheelers, ruts, etc…for some friend or family to expect an invitation? GTFO….

Very true. I only let one person hunt my place...my BIL. When he stops by to get the keys I usually give him a gas tank and tell him to put gas in my buggy and the price of admission is a few bags of corn in the feeders. Works out well and so far he has taken great care of the place when I'm not there, plus I feel like if he has a little skin in the game he will appreciate it a little more.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8482464 12/21/21 11:15 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Wow, I would have said something in front of them all I don’t think I could have held off

Sorry man, that’s pretty sorry of him

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8482499 12/21/21 12:30 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
This is no different than leaving your wallet out at camp and a "friend" taking its contents.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Hudbone] #8482522 12/21/21 12:59 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Hudbone
This is no different than leaving your wallet out at camp and a "friend" taking its contents.

truth

You can't fix stupid
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8482537 12/21/21 01:19 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
When I had the youth hunt out here this year, the director of the program told me they once had a grandfather tell his grandson to shoot a nice buck, over the objections of the guide in the blind with them at the time. (It was a doe only hunt.) What's the poor kid going to do? He shot the buck. And, of course, they were immediately told to pack up there stuff and get off the ranch. The director said they have most of their problems with grandparents. I can't even imagine the arrogance of the sphincter grandfather. What a great example for the little boy.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Creekrunner] #8482540 12/21/21 01:24 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
When I had the youth hunt out here this year, the director of the program told me they once had a grandfather tell his grandson to shoot a nice buck, over the objections of the guide in the blind with them at the time. (It was a doe only hunt.) What's the poor kid going to do? He shot the buck. And, of course, they were immediately told to pack up there stuff and get off the ranch. The director said they have most of their problems with grandparents. I can't even imagine the arrogance of the sphincter grandfather. What a great example for the little boy.

Yeppers, spot on "I am just concerned with how whatever was told to the son was told to him. This could all be even worser than you guys are imagining. Apples don't fall far from a tree and there are many reasons for it."

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8482544 12/21/21 01:27 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
Originally Posted by DUKFVR
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Originally Posted by scalebuster
It’s just a deer. Not worth losing a friend over.

I would no longer be able to trust the guy. Inside the circle or out. Cross the line and you cross the line.

This!
one thing an honest mistake ,another to pull stuff like this. Would be hard not to call warden & file on him.

Just curious what the charge would be?

I am interested on this as well.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Texas Dan] #8482613 12/21/21 02:19 PM
Txhunter65 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Big deer will make people do stupid things.

Firearms have their role in that as well. A firearm can sometimes produce the same effect as alcohol in terms of changing someone's personality and demeanor. Mixing all three together (big deer, firearms, and alcohol) in the wrong person can lead to very bad endings.

Neither guns nor alcohol "change" a personality, the individual may feel the inhibition to act on their true personality has been removed; however, if anything all either do is expose the true personality that's been there all along. Don't blame the gun or the bottle, the responsibility lies solely with the individual.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Txhunter65] #8482617 12/21/21 02:21 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Txhunter65
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Big deer will make people do stupid things.

Firearms have their role in that as well. A firearm can sometimes produce the same effect as alcohol in terms of changing someone's personality and demeanor. Mixing all three together (big deer, firearms, and alcohol) in the wrong person can lead to very bad endings.

Neither guns nor alcohol "change" a personality, the individual may feel the inhibition to act on their true personality has been removed; however, if anything all either do is expose the true personality that's been there all along. Don't blame the gun or the bottle, the responsibility lies solely with the individual.

Spot on.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8482630 12/21/21 02:28 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
This one is complex. I lease out a lot of land to hunters. Deer hunting really exposes the character of some men. Odds are the old boy knew what was going down. An A-hole move. 30 years ago I extended that olive branch to one of my brother-in-laws. After discussing the rules with him, he said F it and shot a deer on the “no shoot” list. He is still the wife’s family and my sons uncle but we don’t hunt together. Not everyone recognizes or puts the same value on a trophy deer or even recognizes any significance. A fellow without a place to hunt most likely falls into that category. The real blame resided on my shoulders. I was the one that brought the fellow in the gate that couldn’t keep his foot off the gas….

Lessons earned are lessons learned.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 12/21/21 02:30 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Smokey Bear] #8482674 12/21/21 03:00 PM
Txhunter65 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
This one is complex. I lease out a lot of land to hunters. Deer hunting really exposes the character of some men. Odds are the old boy knew what was going down. An A-hole move. 30 years ago I extended that olive branch to one of my brother-in-laws. After discussing the rules with him, he said F it and shot a deer on the “no shoot” list. He is still the wife’s family and my sons uncle but we don’t hunt together. Not everyone recognizes or puts the same value on a trophy deer or even recognizes any significance. A fellow without a place to hunt most likely falls into that category. The real blame resided on my shoulders. I was the one that brought the fellow in the gate that couldn’t keep his foot off the gas….

Lessons earned are lessons learned.

Have to disagree again...

Its not about the value or significance a guest puts on a deer. Its about them respecting the value or significance you put on the deer. In this case in particular that value seemed to be very well established as I'm sure it is in most cases like this. Also don't feel most people without a place to hunt fall into the category of these A-holes. Being able to share comradery while hunting is a huge factor of what keeps it going and one of if not the main thing most of us value the most. You have to be able to trust people, if they choose to lose that trust its on them 100% you're not to blame unless you fail to explain the rules to them.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Txhunter65] #8482681 12/21/21 03:07 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
What I was getting at is someone that does not put enough value on deer hunting hunting to procure their own place to hunt does not see a trophy deer with the same reverence as I see it.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 12/21/21 03:09 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Smokey Bear] #8482751 12/21/21 03:50 PM
Txhunter65 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
What I was getting at is someone that does not put enough value on deer hunting hunting to procure their own place to hunt does not see a trophy deer with the same reverence as I see it.

I agree the vast majority of humans do not revere, respect, honor, or value most animal species the way the hunters who pursue those animals do. But when a guest comes to your ranch or lease it no longer becomes about their beliefs or value systems, it becomes about them honoring yours. Just as those of us who hunt in other countries do not try to impose our beliefs or traditions on other cultures we, or at least most of us, try to honor local customs and traditions. After all that's part of the reason we're there, to see how its done in other places, and if we don't like the way its done its not our place to pass judgement we're free to chose not to have that experience again. A non hunter or someone who hunts very little is somewhat like a foreigner in a different land when we bring them hunting. When an instance happens as described by the OP its a horrible thing. Betrayal, regardless of the circumstance, is one of the worst feelings you can experience especially when it involves someone you've know for an extended time and consider a close friend.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8482757 12/21/21 03:52 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Get a rope.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Smokey Bear] #8482776 12/21/21 04:02 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

This makes sense when you consider hunters make up such a small segment of the overall population. It would also make sense that at least some of these do not see themselves as being "serious" deer hunters, and even fewer who are serious in their efforts to manage wildlife and habitat.

I've never really thought about it but chances are any guests (especially those who are relative newcomers) that you take will likely not harbor a strong commitment to the sport or managing wildlife. While they may very well develop these values over time, for now they just see deer with horns.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 12/21/21 04:52 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8482918 12/21/21 06:56 PM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
A lot of good discussion and comments here. I hope that someone who needs these lessons gets to read over this and it helps them.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8482925 12/21/21 07:06 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
I'm just gonna say that you handled much better than I probably would have!!

I just do not understand how people pull chit like this and especially if this was someone you knew.
He would NEVER be invited back again...........EVER

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8483012 12/21/21 08:29 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
take your photo of the deer at the gate as that would be the last time you ever saw it.

Re: Trusting People Has Ended [Re: Ol Thumper] #8483022 12/21/21 08:39 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
I’m sure some of you have bad stories about guests or friends killing the wrong deer but I had a cluster screw ball mess over Thanksgiving with family coming to hunt and I learned my lesson doing that, or so I thought hammer I let a long time friend that has hunted his entire life take his kid hunting this morning to go after a specific 8 point and he called to say they can’t find him so I go down and help them look for it. Guess what, they mistook the 8 point at 40 yards for a 12 point that I had showed him pictures of to watch out for since he shows up daily. I was beyond pissed off but I acted happy for the sake of the kids hunt and told him I was proud of him but I took dad aside afterwards and it wasn’t a pleasant conversation. I’m even more pissed off he put me in that situation, the days of letting anyone hunt without me in the stand with them are 100% over and I’m not getting in the blind with anyone so the gigs up. Rant Over

No reason you still can't be friends. He just doesn't get to hunt any longer...He would be welcome to show up a camp with steaks and crown, but leave the rifle at home!

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide