Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Sand_Fly] #8467969 12/06/21 04:40 PM
E
ElkOne Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
Iv'e got 2 girls and a boy who all hunt, they all hunted with their mom or me, until I thought it was appropriate to hunt with others, roughly age 10 to 12. As I said before I wouldn't even think about taking the girls to a deer lease, unless Mom and other women were present. Just my 2 cents.

ElkOne
Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Sand_Fly] #8467975 12/06/21 04:50 PM
J
jdangler Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I am into my 3rd year on a lease with some other older gentlemen that have been on that lease since 2001 or so. They have been nothing but supportive about bringing kids out to the lease, daughters included. Many of them started their grandkids (who are now teens/college aged) hunting out there years ago and enjoy seeing the kids out there and interacting with them.

If my kids weren't welcome at a lease, then I would be looking for a different one. As a guest hunter the OP has to respect the rules of the paying members, but if he and his daughter were invited, then other lease members should respect that as well.

Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: flintknapper] #8467982 12/06/21 05:00 PM
T
TLew Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by TLew
While I don't think the Uncle is right, I also don't think you have a grudge to hold. As a guest, it's a privilege to go out to the lease in and of itself, even with family involved.

If you at some point procure a spot on the lease then take your daughter and don't worry for a minute what anyone else thinks -- you're her parent.

It would depend on the structure of the lease and the 'normal' activities. Some places folks barely see one another and there is little interaction between members. Other places there is more comradery and a gathering of members at a certain locale on the property at certain times. So even IF he were a member (with certain rights)....having the right to do something isn't always the wisest thing.

And I would submit...'not worrying about what anyone else thinks' could result in blatant disregard for the wishes/wants/rights of the other members. But....these days...'courtesy' is all too often thrown out the window for sake of what an individual wants.

For the folks that couldn't interpret the comment, if the lease rules say you can bring a kid (son's are obviously welcome) then a lease member should be able to bring their daughter and not care what anyone else thinks. The courtesy part comes in what you do when you bring them. You don't have to hang around the campfire, go to the peeing trees, or let your son/daughter be a nuisance.

Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Sand_Fly] #8467985 12/06/21 05:01 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I can see it both ways. There are still deer leases where men can be men, and others that are more family oriented. Pick the one that suits you best.

I may be old school but I hope there will always be those escapes where straight men and women can enjoy each other's same sex company.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 12/06/21 05:05 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: flintknapper] #8467993 12/06/21 05:10 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Sounds to me as if he is just concerned that a little girl in camp might disrupt the normal 'goings on' of what is often the 'boys' getting together.

There IS sometimes conduct (at deer camp) that includes men urinating outdoors, drinking, telling off-colored jokes, cursing....etc. Depends on the group of course.

Personally, I'm with the Uncle on this one....and think as a parent you are oversensitive to the message he was trying to send.

I understand wanting to include and encourage a Daughter or Son to enjoy outdoor activities. I raised a Daughter also...but she was not allowed to actually go afield with me until she was 7 yrs old. I own my property and do the majority of my hunting there....so no restrictions or other concerns for me. But I wouldn't even entertain the thought of taking a very young child into a largely adult group setting...at the risk of disrupting things.

It would be different if it were AFTER SEASON and other members (which you are not) were having 'family outings'. Even then...I would ask the others if it was OK. So....perhaps I am the dissenting voice here, but IMO I think you are being too sensitive about what was said and you seem to be harboring some disdain already for your Uncle. Just my .02 on it.

Very well said flint

Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Sand_Fly] #8468016 12/06/21 05:29 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
I told him she would be fine since she helped me blood trail a deer the week before and is very comfortable in the outdoors and likes it.

The OP has a place to hunt with his daughter, so why not take her there and not complain about following the rules?

Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Texas Dan] #8468034 12/06/21 05:49 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I can see it both ways. There are still deer leases where men can be men, and others that are more family oriented. Pick the one that suits you best.

I may be old school but I hope there will always be those escapes where straight men and women can enjoy each other's same sex company.

As if a man cannot be a man around lady folk. Total crap. real men are likely better defined & recognized by how they are when the other gender is nearby.

Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Sand_Fly] #8468050 12/06/21 06:18 PM
B
BenBob Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Whoever flips the bill for the lease gets to make the rules and maybe the uncle is being rude to the guest about his daughter coming to the lease to show him that he should be willing to ask his Uncle before being offended that his daughter was not welcome.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Sand_Fly] #8468054 12/06/21 06:24 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I believe the brother of the uncle, the grandfather of the lil' girl, is also a lease member. if neither are in charge, the lease boss should be the ultimate authority.

Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Hudbone] #8468061 12/06/21 06:34 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

As if a man cannot be a man around lady folk. Total crap. real men are likely better defined & recognized by how they are when the other gender is nearby.

Surely you recognize that how a group of guys act without women around is often not the same as when there are women (or 5 year old girls) around.

Maybe Dan and I are in the minority, but almost every guy I know acts differently when their daughters or wives are around.

Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Sand_Fly] #8468063 12/06/21 06:36 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Men need to be just that, men. Acting is not how it should be.

Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Sand_Fly] #8468065 12/06/21 06:39 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Last week, the Zanster brought his three year old daughter and Skolie Jr brought down his two year old daughter. Both men came as their respective father's guests. I was way so proud of them. I am not even going to be bringing my grandsons down until they are 5. Both of those lil' princesses dud just fine with neither being a burden at camp. in fact, quite the opposite.

Last edited by Hudbone; 12/06/21 06:40 PM.
Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Sand_Fly] #8468069 12/06/21 06:43 PM
S
Sand_Fly Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
As far as the lease members and rules go, a member is allowed one guest and most members have young kids and grandkids of all ages that the majority of the time come out with the members and will often shoot the members trophy or cull buck for the year. The lease members are not the type of crowd that gets drunk, obnoxious and vulgar. They are usually in bed by 8:30 or 9pm. As far as my uncle goes, he is not the owner nor the lease manager, just a member. I would have not mentioned bringing her out to the lease if I didn’t think she could handle being around the lease members. Some children boys and girls don’t want to be in the woods at all, mine just happens to like it and wants to go.

Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Sand_Fly] #8468077 12/06/21 06:52 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Some of the mindsets detailed within this thread have a better shot at killing hunting than PETA ever could've imagined.

Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Hudbone] #8468082 12/06/21 07:00 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Some of the mindsets detailed within this thread have a better shot at killing hunting than PETA ever could've imagined.

Now there's some drama for ya. wink

We are hashing out the logistics of the OP's position and learning more about the situation and events as we go.

No one is trying to dissuade anyone from encouraging children to have interest in the outdoors and hunting. Only WHEN and HOW it is appropriate in each setting.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Sand_Fly] #8468085 12/06/21 07:03 PM
S
ssmith Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
looks like you are hunting for free an complaining about the rules .

Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Sand_Fly] #8468088 12/06/21 07:09 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Men need to be just that, men. Acting is not how it should be.

I don't smoke cigars around my girls, or say off-color jokes, or have political arguments, or curse, or drink a little too much.

Maybe some do.....or maybe they don't do any of those things at all. Acting has nothing to do with it.

Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Hudbone] #8468091 12/06/21 07:12 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

Homie your perspective is skewed, when I’m with the boys I act totally different sitting around a fire talking chit than if women are around. If you don’t your an odd duck and that’s cool but don’t talk chit about guys that do and damn sure don’t hold the guy paying the bill to different standards than you do when he hasn’t payed a dime.

You comparing us to PETA is a total F’n joke to but carry on rofl

Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Sand_Fly] #8468092 12/06/21 07:13 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
I don't pose at home or at deer camp.

Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Sand_Fly] #8468093 12/06/21 07:16 PM
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E
Not worth getting pissed off over

Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Ol Thumper] #8468095 12/06/21 07:19 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper

Homie your perspective is skewed, when I’m with the boys I act totally different sitting around a fire talking chit than if women are around. If you don’t your an odd duck and that’s cool but don’t talk chit about guys that do and damn sure don’t hold the guy paying the bill to different standards than you do when he hasn’t payed a dime.

You comparing us to PETA is a total F’n joke to but carry on rofl

I don't think so, seems the intention is to exclude girls and not so much about a man being a man. Perpetuating the hunting lifestyle is more than just a selfish, ego driven men's pursuit and its future will be in part, dictated by females. The opportunity to get a lil' girl out there in the wild should be welcomed and desired, not discarded so some "man" can smoke a cigar.

Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Sand_Fly] #8468096 12/06/21 07:19 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
not pissed, just caught off guard.

Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Sand_Fly] #8468105 12/06/21 07:29 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
let a lil' girl hunt and she could turn into this -
[Linked Image]

Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Sand_Fly] #8468106 12/06/21 07:29 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
So because some opinions don’t align with yours we’re wrong and worse than PETA? Are you serious? That’s a crock of [censored],, my wife and daughter have first dibs on any deer we have and I bend over backwards to fill thr tags first but we have 2 weekends a year with me and my buddys having some man time and I would presume the uncle enjoys his man time in the woods paying for the lease without concerns of women being around so you can’t really fault him for it IMO,,

Pay up for shut the heck up seems like a great solution to me,, it’s always the ones getting something for free that seem to bitch the most, I’m not bashing the OP but anyone that would even post some nonsense like this with no money invested should tell you all you need to know.

Re: Getting this off my chest. [Re: Sand_Fly] #8468109 12/06/21 07:33 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
The uncle is attempting to maintain his own desires to the detriment of his niece. Not how it should work. He'll have enough time without her.

I hate PETA and that comment about many's accustomed manners which have unintended side effects go hand in hand.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide