Re: Kansas [Re: sqiggy] #8451225 11/17/21 02:04 PM
G
gettinbirdie Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
Originally Posted by sqiggy
I got back from Kansas yesterday. We were up around dodge city. I never seen so many hunters!!! Me and my brother got there on a Thursday night and scouted all day Friday. The place we picked out for the first morning, had about 3 other groups show up as well. We started off good on Saturday, but Sunday was a different story. Had 2 fields across from each other and at daybreak, we could hear roosters cackling everywhere. Only managed to get one rooster to get up. Told my brother it might be better if we start planning our hunt around Thanksgiving weekend and avoid the crowds.

It was insane- I’ve never seen so many hunters! Hopefully it settles down or I’ll be heading eastward for quail.
GL to you guys this season!

Re: Kansas [Re: scalebuster] #8451375 11/17/21 04:21 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by scalebuster
I got back from Kansas yesterday. We were up around dodge city. I never seen so many hunters!!! Me and my brother got there on a Thursday night and scouted all day Friday. The place we picked out for the first morning, had about 3 other groups show up as well. We started off good on Saturday, but Sunday was a different story. Had 2 fields across from each other and at daybreak, we could hear roosters cackling everywhere. Only managed to get one rooster to get up. Told my brother it might be better if we start planning our hunt around Thanksgiving weekend and avoid the crowds.

How many birds did y’all kill?

Well, we didn’t do as good as you, but a total of 8 guys in our group. We ended up killing 6 and let about another 6 or so get away. Shooting wasn’t to good. The quail we got into crapped on everybody. Only managed to kill one. Then on Sunday, only one rooster was killed. We had one dog and he pointed almost all the pheasants that we killed.
There was 2 roosters killed that were banded. The dates on the bands were 2019-2020!!

Re: Kansas [Re: sqiggy] #8451453 11/17/21 05:50 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Well, we didn’t do as good as you, but a total of 8 guys in our group. We ended up killing 6 and let about another 6 or so get away. Shooting wasn’t to good. The quail we got into crapped on everybody. Only managed to kill one. Then on Sunday, only one rooster was killed. We had one dog and he pointed almost all the pheasants that we killed.
There was 2 roosters killed that were banded. The dates on the bands were 2019-2020!!

That sounds pretty tough thanks for th report. We are headed up to Dodge City tomorrow. 3 men, 1 boy and 4 dogs. Hopefully it won’t be as crowded and we can locate some bird.

Re: Kansas [Re: scalebuster] #8451520 11/17/21 06:45 PM
Wildcat1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
We hunted north of dodge city in Quinter saw less birds than we have in the last 10 years. Ron

Re: Kansas [Re: gettinbirdie] #8451789 11/17/21 10:57 PM
D
danceswithquail Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Heading up Friday to SW KS, hope its at least spotty and we get the better side of spotty a couple of hours south of Quinter this weekend.

Re: Kansas [Re: scalebuster] #8452010 11/18/21 02:36 AM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S

That sounds pretty tough thanks for th report. We are headed up to Dodge City tomorrow. 3 men, 1 boy and 4 dogs. Hopefully it won’t be as crowded and we can locate some bird.

Check out the 2 fields just south of town off Saddler Road. Heard lots of cackling but couldn’t locate but 3 roosters. We hunted mainly west of town and those were hit hard. There’s some nice fields north of town but we never hunted them. With the amount of hunters in town, I’m sure they got hunted. Good luck and keep us posted.

Re: Kansas [Re: gettinbirdie] #8453762 11/19/21 07:44 PM
texasag93 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I was a guest with a group of 20 guys that started hunting together since 1972. Solid guys. Only 1 of the originals made it, but kids and grandkids of the original hunters were there.

The place they lease was being sold the Tuesday after opening day. All of that was cut like my front yard. They had a few other fields that they had access to.

The weather was awesome. Cold, but not bitter. Light wind in the morning that picked up as the day went on.

No dogs, so we just lined up and walked the fields with blockers at the ends.

We hunted all day Saturday and I was only able to hunt half of Sunday due to my drive.

No dogs, so we just lined up and walked the fields with blockers at the ends.

11 pheasant and 1 quail on Saturday and 5 (or 6) on Sunday for the group. We jumped a covey of quail (20-25) on Sunday.

As I am fond of saying, the animals are only part of the hunt. Hanging out with good quality people and the experience of being in the fields make a combination that is hard to beat.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide