Forums46
Topics538,024
Posts9,732,045
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: ATX_Firearms] #8427067 10/23/21 01:09 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
It’s fairly obvious who has been to Ltc class On a stop

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: Brother in-law] #8427222 10/23/21 05:13 AM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Brother in-law

Yep.

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: ATX_Firearms] #8427289 10/23/21 12:38 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Daddy never told me to hide things from the Police. My good buddy Hoggie, a retired DPS Trooper who has helped me beyond where he ever should, told me always to so inform. Smart enough to understand what I hear and dumb enough to do as told, it has served me well.

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: ATX_Firearms] #8427358 10/23/21 01:58 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Just got lit up, just now. It was all on me. I was hurrying back after gathering some necessary supplies in Leakey. On the back way to Rio Frio, I saw the lights come on. Met the LEO right there on the side of the road. He indicated what I already knew. I was driving "substantially over the speed limit". Handed him my TDL & insurance, apologized and told him I had a loaded firearm under the rear seat. He asked if I was going to use it on him. Replied in the negative indicating it wasn't there for him.

No issues and no problems..

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: Brother in-law] #8427359 10/23/21 01:59 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Brother in-law

How do you find time to stop anyone when you're sitting in the church parking lot sucking up the free wi-fi?

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: ATX_Firearms] #8427581 10/23/21 06:16 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Before I got my LTC, I would never inform unless I was asked. If asked I would always then inform what I had and where. No biggie. After I got my LTC I always inform when I hand over my TDL, LTC, & insurance card, because that’s what I was taught to do in class. Have never had a problem either way.

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: skinnerback] #8428880 10/25/21 03:19 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Before I got my LTC, I would never inform unless I was asked. If asked I would always then inform what I had and where. No biggie. After I got my LTC I always inform when I hand over my TDL, LTC, & insurance card, because that’s what I was taught to do in class. Have never had a problem either way.

With LTC it is the correct thing to do....though the penalty for not doing so was removed years ago.

I think most LEO just assume every person they stop is armed anyway.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: skinnerback] #8429274 10/25/21 04:56 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

No need to turn over insurance, they run your plates and lets them know if insurance is up to date

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: RedRanger] #8429295 10/25/21 05:16 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by RedRanger

No need to turn over insurance, they run your plates and lets them know if insurance is up to date

Not always...some insurance companies do a poor job of reporting status.

I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: ATX_Firearms] #8430016 10/26/21 03:27 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
I inform and was told I don't need that. I told him fine its 4 O clock, just wanted you to know. He was cool about it but it was awkward.

[Linked Image]
Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: ATX_Firearms] #8430375 10/26/21 04:03 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I had a crusty old DPS trooper ask me to hand him my holstered gun (in truck armrest) one time outside Austin. I proceeded to tell him I was an CHL instructor what a dumbazz request that was. I got a warning for speeding.

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: The Dude Abides] #8430391 10/26/21 04:10 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308
I had a crusty old DPS trooper ask me to hand him my holstered gun (in truck armrest) one time outside Austin. I proceeded to tell him I was an CHL instructor what a dumbazz request that was. I got a warning for speeding.

Oooh, a CHL instructor. LOL

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: Choctaw] #8430579 10/26/21 07:40 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Choctaw

Many years ago! Waste of time and a race to the bottom for sure.

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: ATX_Firearms] #8436306 11/02/21 12:15 AM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
I don't have a CHL, and keep a pistol in my truck pretty much all the time. I drive a lot, and as such get a speeding ticket now and again. I have never volunteered that I had a gun in the truck. Only been asked a couple of times if I had one, and replied the same way both times, "yes, it's under the console in a holster.". One trooper asked me to stand at the back of my truck while running my license then gave me a warning. The other trooper acted like he didn't really care, and gave me a warning.

But I roll all windows down, both hands on the wheel, etc when they approach and then speak to them like normal human beings, so I guess I'm not perceived as a threat.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: psycho0819] #8438346 11/03/21 11:17 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
[quote=psycho0819
But I roll all windows down, both hands on the wheel, etc when they approach and then speak to them like normal human beings, so I guess I'm not perceived as a threat. [/quote]

^^^^^

There ya go. up

Doing all you can to show the officer that you are not a threat and intend to comply, goes a long way with them.

Hands on wheel (or out window) as they approach, interior lights on (if dark out), respectful tone of voice and complying with commands...usually works out just fine.

Put the officer at ease....as much as that is possible.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: flintknapper] #8438484 11/04/21 01:02 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Hands on wheel (or out window)

I had a female Trooper get on the loud speaker and order me to stick both of my hands out of the window and don't move.

Was taking my two oldest kids (teenagers then) hunting down at the old place in Duval County and running a little late. Got a phone call, "Man hurry up everybody is waiting on yall so we can say the prayer and eat." Nighttime FM road middle of nowhere S Texas with no traffic, so decided to do 75 in the 65 (I normally never speed unless in Houston, then you have to). Anyway, passed one vehicle and yep, she lit me up. Fair enough. Pulled over right at my dirt road turn off. Standard procedure....windows down/lights on/truck off/keys on dash/hands on steering wheel. Loud speaker "Put your hands out the window, put you hands out the window farther and don't move." This was a first. Approaches & shines flashlight into truck. Looks at the AR w/night vision stuffed between console & seat/passenger side where my Son is sitting. Asks about rifle and if it's loaded, I answer and then tell her what other guns are in the truck and where they are located. Explain where I am going and what we are doing. She orders me out of my truck and had me sit in her vehicle, then pulls each one of my kids out of the truck and questions them individually to make sure our stories match. This was before I had my LTC. She was a good looking Senorita so was hoping she would frisk me grin but at the same time I couldn't help but start getting a little aggravated. Seriously with all of this?? I kept it cool though. Anyway, after 10-15 minutes of interrogation I was allowed to return to my truck with my kids in it and she gave me a warning. In her defense, she was alone in middle of nowhere S Texas and never know what you're going to run into. That explains her extreme caution.

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: Choctaw] #8438619 11/04/21 05:43 AM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Choctaw

That actually made me laugh out loud!

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: ATX_Firearms] #8442217 11/08/21 11:36 AM
Grizz Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
If you really want the contact to start off on the right foot, lead with "I didn't do it!" and call the officer "boss". laugh

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: Grizz] #8443275 11/09/21 05:13 AM
N
ntxtrapper Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Grizz
If you really want the contact to start off on the right foot, lead with "I didn't do it!" and call the officer "boss". laugh

I always loved the initial question of "What the f#%& did you stop me for ?" That never ended well roflmao

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: ATX_Firearms] #8444250 11/10/21 11:12 AM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Section 411.205 of the Texas Government Code is sometimes called the "duty to inform" law. The law says that if a person with a license to carry a handgun (LTC) is carrying a handgun and is asked by a peace officer to show ID, they must show both:

Their driver's license or other ID
Their handgun license

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: ATX_Firearms] #8444282 11/10/21 12:10 PM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
There is even less reason to have an LTC than there used to be and without one I only disclose if asked the way the 5th was designed...and it helps protect the 2nd.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: RedRanger] #8444348 11/10/21 01:23 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Your LTC has your drivers lic # on it also.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: RedRanger] #8444405 11/10/21 02:23 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Section 411.205 of the Texas Government Code is sometimes called the "duty to inform" law. The law says that if a person with a license to carry a handgun (LTC) is carrying a handgun and is asked by a peace officer to show ID, they must show both:

Their driver's license or other ID
Their handgun license

If carrying a firearm then I'll show both. If not carrying then they only get the DL.

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: GasGuzzler] #8444516 11/10/21 04:07 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
There is even less reason to have an LTC than there used to be and without one I only disclose if asked the way the 5th was designed...and it helps protect the 2nd.

Remember the LTC is received reciprocally by other states.

Re: Duty to Inform Police in Texas? [Re: Hudbone] #8444554 11/10/21 04:47 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler

Remember the LTC is received reciprocally by other states.

That, and just the hassle free purchasing of guns with a LTC is well worth it to me. Before I got my LTC, the last 2 guns I bought took 3 days and then 5 days to clear the background check. I've got a clean record so that was pretty aggravating. It sure is nice to be in and out quick when buying a gun.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide