Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: If you were to learn a trade [Re: RedRanger] #8361136 08/23/21 10:14 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by RedRanger
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
If your personal and financial situation allow you to spend a few years working as a helper and taking a pay cut, definitely electrician. My step-son is a licensed Master with a contractors license that does nothing but commercial work. Owns his own small business and does very well. Only problem he has now is the inability to grow his business due to the lack of licensed guys to hire. To start, be a helper that works for a very busy licensed master, take the classes and training, get licensed and you're on your way.

Contractor License? What state is this in? No such thing as a contractor license in Texas

Texas. I'll check with him, now I'm curious. He's been a Master for several years, and recently got something? Maybe I wasn't listening well. It was at the same time he set up his entity and it's in the company name.

Last edited by onlysmith&wesson; 08/23/21 10:25 PM.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: If you were to learn a trade [Re: RedRanger] #8361142 08/23/21 10:19 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Nursing may not be an option for you. That's a bachelors degree for a good job as an RN. Sounds like you need to work full time while transitioning. If you have the time and opportunity to devote to it, great career path. GPA needs to up there, not the minimums to graduate but higher than average for the really good positions. My wife has been an RN for 40 years, has managed a large unit for one of the largest public hospitals for 30+, and yes, there is huge demand. But, a BSN and a good GPA is only the start of getting an interview.

Good luck to you, sounds like you have the right motives.

You only need a 2 year Associates Degree to sit for NCLEX in Texas to become a Registered Nurse. Community College is cheapest place for that.

True. I stated it as a bachelors degree for a "good job" as an RN. Without a BSN, you'd have a hard time getting an interview with a good institution. And without an above average GPA it would still be an uphill climb.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: If you were to learn a trade [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8361189 08/23/21 11:10 PM
R
RayBob Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R

Nursing may not be an option for you. That's a bachelors degree for a good job as an RN. Sounds like you need to work full time while transitioning. If you have the time and opportunity to devote to it, great career path. GPA needs to up there, not the minimums to graduate but higher than average for the really good positions. My wife has been an RN for 40 years, has managed a large unit for one of the largest public hospitals for 30+, and yes, there is huge demand. But, a BSN and a good GPA is only the start of getting an interview.

Good luck to you, sounds like you have the right motives.

You only need a 2 year Associates Degree to sit for NCLEX in Texas to become a Registered Nurse. Community College is cheapest place for that.

True. I stated it as a bachelors degree for a "good job" as an RN. Without a BSN, you'd have a hard time getting an interview with a good institution. And without an above average GPA it would still be an uphill climb.

Not quite accurate in my experience. The BSN is more of an open door to management and obviously required for the nurse practitioner route which is the "in" thing.

BSN, AARN, ADSN, and Diploma RN all worked side by side with the same job descriptions and responsibilities. I even knew department directors with ADN and Diploma statuses. Level II and the regional trauma center. 350 bed capacity.

Despite the acute nursing shortage I still wouldn't recommend anyone going into the field at this time. Another huge issue is that the field is female dominated and their are estrogen related issues with that.

Re: If you were to learn a trade [Re: jhenderson] #8361191 08/23/21 11:12 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Learn how to weld and do dirt work. You’ll never run out of jobs.

Re: If you were to learn a trade [Re: bigbob_ftw] #8361192 08/23/21 11:12 PM
O
Old Rabbit Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
O
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Originally Posted by Bullfrog
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
I'd like to learn non-destructive testing.

The heck is that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nondestructive_testing

This field has expanded exponentially in the last 20 years. I went to trade school for Machine Shop Technology and Practice and went to work for a chemical refinery. We would get broken/damaged parts to repair by removing defects so they could be welded up and re-machined. The NDT folks got tired of coming to the shop every time we thought we had all of the defects removed, so they taught me how to do the testing. Then they would come and do a final (approved) test, they even sent me to get some certifications. Well they had an opening and I got transferred and it was off to school I went. I ended up with Level 2 certifications in UT, MT, PT, VT, Radiographic Film Interpretation, Material Analysis via Portable-XRF and became an API-501 Pressure Vessel Inspector and API-570 Piping Inspector. We contracted out the really high-tech and expensive equipment type of stuff such as IRIS and Eddy Current tube inspection, X-Ray-Digital X-Ray, etc, etc. Fun stuff and always something else to learn.

Re: If you were to learn a trade [Re: jhenderson] #8361433 08/24/21 03:00 AM
L
Lakhota Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
L
This job can be very wearing on the body I average around 5000 steps a day which is healthy however I’m in the sun so I wear a hat to block the sun. I drag water houses across roofs, pull 30 lb drums of refrigerant up and down, recovery tanks, nitrogen tanks, and parts.

You can’t be afraid of heights because you will be going up and down ladders which can be dangerous. I have fallen from two now the first I crushed my right heel the second was just two weeks ago when the ladder that was bolted to the building decided that it didn’t want to be attached to the building any longer. That one I got lucky and a eight foot fence broke my fall keeping me from going all the way to the ground.

Then there is voltage 24 volts will irritate you, 110 gets you attention, 208-220 pisses you off, and 460 is just plan scary and demands respect.

I prefer to be on a roof where I can catch a breeze most of the time opposed a 100° plus attic and insulation. Today I was at a rock quarry working under a oven used to cook the road base product working on a package unit that had at least an inch or two of the road base product inside the unit. It was a dirty and hot day!

Lazyjack mentioned Refrigeration I will second that we don’t do it but work with a company that does so I know some of those guys. They work hard as well but the environment doesn’t seem to be as extreme.

Don’t let any of that deter it is a good field/career that can but no one is going without heating or cooling now days.

Re: If you were to learn a trade [Re: jhenderson] #8361449 08/24/21 03:24 AM
R
Ranch Dawg Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Computers/ IT work. We have been headed down the World Wide Web for a while , ain’t ever gonna stop. Everything is high tech.

THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS.

F##K YOU JOE BIDEN !!!!! F##K YOU KH !!!!!!
Re: If you were to learn a trade [Re: leswad] #8361450 08/24/21 03:24 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by leswad
I hear you can make good money doing home inspections, and you can set your own hours.

This is true. When I get inspections for rental properties I pay $450 and it takes him a few hours. He can do 2 per day fairly easily.

Re: If you were to learn a trade [Re: DocHorton] #8361454 08/24/21 03:31 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by DocHorton
I hear you can make good money doing home inspections, and you can set your own hours.

This is true. When I get inspections for rental properties I pay $450 and it takes him a few hours. He can do 2 per day fairly easily.

Some do 4. He is young like me but that is something to really look into.

[Linked Image]
Re: If you were to learn a trade [Re: jhenderson] #8361465 08/24/21 03:38 AM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Elementary school PE teacher.

Re: If you were to learn a trade [Re: Bee'z] #8361492 08/24/21 05:11 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by 2Beez
Originally Posted by DocHorton

Some do 4. He is young like me but that is something to really look into.

4 inspections per day is too many and I’m sure it’s subpar reports. My go-to inspector will only do 2 per day, and sometimes only 1 if it’s over 4,000 square feet. But he also doesn’t use cameras on poles to check the roofs, he pulls out the ladder and walks them.

But I agree. Home inspector would be a good job as long as the market stays strong. 2 year apprentice I believe is what’s required before branching out on your own.

Last edited by BigPig; 08/24/21 05:12 AM.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: If you were to learn a trade [Re: jhenderson] #8361521 08/24/21 09:35 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
From what I saw and the report I got from my inspector 4 per day would definitely be subpar work. I think he was here 4 hours at least then generated the report.

Re: If you were to learn a trade [Re: jhenderson] #8361528 08/24/21 10:18 AM
B
Black Duck Dog Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
FIREMAN / Firefighter

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread