Forums46
Topics538,081
Posts9,732,770
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8357368 08/20/21 04:09 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
We have a fairly large ranch and group of hunters who leave their stuff at the ranch year round (except weapons). Camp is a mile from the county road and 5 miles from a paved road. Thing is it is a working ranch and there is usually someone out there everyday. Sheriff told me once at another lease we were on that the thieves would first look for an electric transformer from the road, suggesting a camp site, and then hit it during the week.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8357374 08/20/21 04:13 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
And remember something I learned on here, even if you're leaving the gate open for a while with an unlatched combination lock - spin the dials so passersby won't be able to record the combination.

Having had several contractors off and on the place the last couple of years, it's amazing how few men, men that supposedly work on ranches all the time, can lock a gate properly or leave it like they found it. bang

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8359997 08/23/21 12:46 AM
H
Harkriscar Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I left my POLARIS at my property. Like you, I got tired of transporting it. My lease is large, and I’ve never seen trespassers or had a problem. But to be safe, I hid/parked it in a very remote spot off the beaten path. I didn’t think anyone would stumble across it. I was wrong. It was stolen after 3 weeks there. I don’t think any lock or container would deter a thief.

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Creekrunner] #8360057 08/23/21 01:30 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
And remember something I learned on here, even if you're leaving the gate open for a while with an unlatched combination lock - spin the dials so passersby won't be able to record the combination.

Having had several contractors off and on the place the last couple of years, it's amazing how few men, men that supposedly work on ranches all the time, can lock a gate properly or leave it like they found it. bang

Our neighbor in Batesville had the same combination on his lock from 1994-2003. On 03’ he sold the ranch and new owner kept the same combo.....still the same to this day.

Our combo lock was changed every month it seemed and we were the ones who had break-ins.....go figure.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8360136 08/23/21 02:30 AM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
JMHO- it really doesn't matter what part of the state you're in.
If there's not somebody trustworthy there all the time, you'll
get hit eventually. If you're not there full time, every neighbor
on the road knows when you get there and when you leave.
There's going to be some that are trustworthy, and some
that will be all over your place once you vacate. Some will
just roam around, others will hunt the crap out of it, even if
they have as much property or even more than you do.
Grass is greener and all that. It happens

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8360254 08/23/21 07:23 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I have seen so many posts on here about equipment stolen from someone’s deer camp. If I was a thief, a shipping container would be the first place to look. I would not leave anything of any value anywhere other than my home where I regularly stay, or where my family stays.

Any place that is not inhabited is gonna be robbed at one point or another.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Creekrunner] #8360258 08/23/21 08:18 AM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe

I have tested inline combination locks with ours at gates just to prove a point with hunting buddies. Spin the last dial one number at a time trying the lock. If that don't work put it back to the number it was found on, then do the same with the first dial. More often than not. Overwhelmingly more often than not, the lock will open within those 20 tries. If your only spinning one number on the lock to make it easier to get in next time. Bad guys know this trick. And at least one good guy too.

It has come in handy. Once I forgot the key to our lock inline with the ranchers combination lock. Yep, he only spun the last number. From then on I had the combination and never even bothered bringing the key. Another time bought a camper from a THF member. It was on a lease near mine and I was told where it would be and that the gate would be unlocked. Nope, someone leaving before I arrived had locked the gate. Same trick, I got in the gate long before I got the return text with the combination.

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8360358 08/23/21 12:32 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Prior to 2000, most combination locks were set to some year in 1900 'sthat was some significant year to the lock owner.

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: fishdfly] #8361240 08/23/21 11:46 PM
S
Stetsonoverton Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
one of my leases is still this way

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8361995 08/24/21 06:25 PM
S
Shotgun Willie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
We put up one of THESE signs at the driveway of our camp. Last year thieves stole a Ranger from one neighbor, drove it past our camp to the other neighbor, and filled the bed with a bunch of stuff stolen from the second neighbor's barn.

I don't know if it was the sign that kept them from coming into our camp, but the chances are good. Most thieves aren't going to take the chance on getting their picture taken. If nothing else, it's a cheap deterrent that will make them think twice.

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Sniper John] #8362669 08/25/21 05:17 AM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sniper John

I have tested inline combination locks with ours at gates just to prove a point with hunting buddies. Spin the last dial one number at a time trying the lock. If that don't work put it back to the number it was found on, then do the same with the first dial. More often than not. Overwhelmingly more often than not, the lock will open within those 20 tries. If your only spinning one number on the lock to make it easier to get in next time. Bad guys know this trick. And at least one good guy too.

It has come in handy. Once I forgot the key to our lock inline with the ranchers combination lock. Yep, he only spun the last number. From then on I had the combination and never even bothered bringing the key. Another time bought a camper from a THF member. It was on a lease near mine and I was told where it would be and that the gate would be unlocked. Nope, someone leaving before I arrived had locked the gate. Same trick, I got in the gate long before I got the return text with the combination.

Originally Posted by Sniper John

Those combination locks with the four wheels are junk. I can open virtually any of them with a little shim faster than I can enter the combination. At my job I usually have anywhere from ten to a hundred different locked gates to deal with on a project. I think I went through nine different locks today as an example. It always happens where someone screws up the chain on the gate and accidentally locks your lock out of the series. It might take hours or days to figure out who did it and get it fixed. Much easier to just open the lock and keep on trucking.

Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8363625 08/25/21 11:34 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
bouncing betty bolt

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Storing Equipment on Hunting Land [Re: Duck_Dogs] #8365907 08/27/21 09:09 PM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
On the insurance front...... read carefully, check it out,....... Some of those cheaper ATV/UTV insurances, don't cover the item when unattended off of your property.... had a buddy get burned by this; and a good friend that's an adjuster agreed; even with good companies, sometimes an extra policy is needed to cover this stuff off site

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide