Page 70 of 152 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 151 152
Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Dzhitshard] #8351643 08/14/21 06:52 PM
H
Hard8Choppers Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted by Dzhitshard
Does anyone have the spec for minimum performance velocity on the Lehigh 110 controlled chaos?
It's not listed on the WC site and I would like to smash some math & figure out some effective ranges before I triple my per shot bullet cost.

I don't get 10" .308 & the 8" AR uppers in a caliber that isn't designed for subs. Other than shooting subsonic rounds the only other redeeming quality that comes to mind is that they may hide a little better under a trench coat. It's not like I'm not on the SBR or pistol train being I have my share of them but in a HAM'R it's like cobbling a 3 cylinder Geo Metro motor in a Classic muscle car.

scratch

I like your analogy with the cars. I look at that same analogy inverted though. It's like sticking a supercharged LS into a Geo Metro with a one gallon gas tank. You're not going to go far but you'll get as far as you can with an awesome punch.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: SDTurner] #8351651 08/14/21 07:08 PM
H
Hard8Choppers Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Originally Posted by SDTurner
In regard to your 8" question - I haven't run my 110CC load through the chrono, but I have run the Hornady 110 SP and a couple of others.

Here's some numbers for comparison.

Hornady 110SP
8" - 2360
11" - 2500
16" - 2695

Speer 123 gold dot
8" - 2300
11" - 2405
16" - 2540

Speer 150gr BTSP
8" - 1960
16" - 2240

Speer 125 TNT
11" - 2290
16" - 2510

Lehigh 110 CC
11" - 2470
16" - 2640

Thanks for that info. I need to look at that Hornady 110SP round more. I've maybe been to set on the Lehigh CC because the 115gr version for the blackout is the only round that made sense for me. I like all the options the HAM'R has.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Hard8Choppers] #8351686 08/14/21 07:51 PM
D
Dzhitshard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by Hard8Choppers
Does anyone have the spec for minimum performance velocity on the Lehigh 110 controlled chaos?
It's not listed on the WC site and I would like to smash some math & figure out some effective ranges before I triple my per shot bullet cost.

I don't get 10" .308 & the 8" AR uppers in a caliber that isn't designed for subs. Other than shooting subsonic rounds the only other redeeming quality that comes to mind is that they may hide a little better under a trench coat. It's not like I'm not on the SBR or pistol train being I have my share of them but in a HAM'R it's like cobbling a 3 cylinder Geo Metro motor in a Classic muscle car.

scratch

I like your analogy with the cars. I look at that same analogy inverted though. It's like sticking a supercharged LS into a Geo Metro with a one gallon gas tank. You're not going to go far but you'll get as far as you can with an awesome punch.

OK, you have a supercharged v8. Cool in the drive way to show your friends but it can't make it from the Christmas tree down to the end of the 1/4 mile track with the fuel you have.
It's the same with 8" HAM'R losing the velocity and terminal performance on target before it reaches out to 100yds.

I don't have anything against truck guns or even short barrel truck guns, but I have zero need for a truck gun that can't dramatically increase the range of a cary gun. 3" of barrel length nearly doubles the effective range of all these projectiles because it pushes them over expansion velocities so much farther.

Side Note, Since length while fighting from inside of a vehicle is so important I will pay American greenbacks for video of someone uncorking a couple 2300+ fps rounds out of an 8" HAM'R from inside an enclosed vehicle.
crazy
I am not responsible for any of the after effects of such an action though. wink

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Dzhitshard] #8351718 08/14/21 08:38 PM
H
Hard8Choppers Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H

scratch

Lehigh has it on their site as, Bullet Minimum Velocity (fps) 1500.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8351920 08/15/21 01:17 AM
D
Dzhitshard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
That is almost surely not the minimum fragmentation velocity. If they fragged at 1500fps I can't see how would they get into the boiler room on a hog without fragging early when they are pushed at 2500fps?

If they market like Barnes that is probably the lowest impact speed for the tip to deform & will need another 200-400 fps to reach the beginning of the window for full potential.
PS, They have those same velocities listed for their .30cal match CC copper solids and every other CC bullet I've checked. It leaves me wondering if that's the minimum speed they want their solids pushed so they don't get sued for a shooter blowing up the gun with a squib.

I'm honestly leery of anything claiming full potential under 2000fps. There are several videos I've seen pig hunters shooting these CC in 300blk (supers) and it seems sort of obvious from the way some of the animals hardly do more than twitch as they run out of view that there's a velocity/terminal performance threshold not being met.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8351960 08/15/21 02:52 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Glad I didn’t sell, got the ammo plant setup and cranking them out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: tenyearsgone] #8352084 08/15/21 11:49 AM
Wilson Combat Online Content
Boar Meister
Online Content
Boar Meister
Originally Posted by tenyearsgone
The more I read this thread and other articles the more I want one. I always thought 300 blk was a stupid round unless you're shooting a suppressed sbr, but this seems to have a good punch. I just bought my first barrel from WC (6.5C), so hopefully, it performs great and gives me the confidence to buy another barrel.

Do these larger .30 caliber rounds tend to heat up the barrel fast? The largest AR-15 caliber I have currently is a 6.8. I see a "ranch" model that interests me, but looks awfully skinny.

Most of my personal guns have our light Ranger profile (.675") and I haven't seen any degrading of accuracy or POI shift when shooting two consecutive 6 shot groups, I always let the bbl cool after 10 shots max when shooting groups so I don't know after that. When I shoot more than 10rds at hogs they are normally running and precise accuracy isn't anything I'm thinking about.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Dzhitshard] #8352092 08/15/21 12:01 PM
Boar Meister
Online Content
Boar Meister
That is almost surely not the minimum fragmentation velocity. If they fragged at 1500fps I can't see how would they get into the boiler room on a hog without fragging early when they are pushed at 2500fps?

If they market like Barnes that is probably the lowest impact speed for the tip to deform & will need another 200-400 fps to reach the beginning of the window for full potential.
PS, They have those same velocities listed for their .30cal match CC copper solids and every other CC bullet I've checked. It leaves me wondering if that's the minimum speed they want their solids pushed so they don't get sued for a shooter blowing up the gun with a squib.

I'm honestly leery of anything claiming full potential under 2000fps. There are several videos I've seen pig hunters shooting these CC in 300blk (supers) and it seems sort of obvious from the way some of the animals hardly do more than twitch as they run out of view that there's a velocity/terminal performance threshold not being met.

I've been hog hunting exclusively with the Lehigh 110gr CC over the past month and every hog I've shot has been DRT with barely a kick. The longest shot was 220yds. My load is pushing the bullet at 2620fps MV. The way the CC works is that it has to hit fluid to expand, so no matter how fast it impacts it doesn't start expansion/fragmentation until it's inside and impacts fluid in the animal.

Regarding "some of the animals hardly do more than twitch as they run out of view" this is the way a hog normally reacts if hit anywhere except the brain or spine. Trust me, a hit to the center of the neck will drop them 100% of the time and a center hit on the shoulder will kill them 100% of the time, they just normally run 10-50yds.. A hit anywhere else normally results in a non recovered hog.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8352204 08/15/21 02:17 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I was not an AR shooter till about 1 1/2 ago. I asked Mr. Wilson what I should purchase and I followed his suggestion and I am glad I did. I have reached the point that I reach for the 300 Ham'r nearly every time I head to the woods. I have always been a bolt guy and still like my 7-08 but the ability to get several shots off in a very short time helps with the elimination of more hogs. On July 13th of 2020 I had heart surgery (4 bypasses) and my heart surgeon told me NO SHOOTING till after the 13th of OCT. I fudged! Mr Wilson suggested a new load so I loaded them up and headed to the range with my warden (wife) to test fire them first. Long story short version, I was sitting in the deer stand on MLD opening morning and connected using a 110 grain cup & core bullet.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8352274 08/15/21 03:32 PM
I
IRUAK88 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I
@Mr. Wilson, all of this talk of LH made me look around for some other options and I stumbled across this fine looking company. I was wondering if you've tried any of their products?

https://hammerbullets.com/product/308-cal-124g-hammer-hunter/

Perhaps I missed it in this ever growing thread.. but the bullet specs and heck even the name suggests it would make for an awesome load!

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: KRoyal] #8352309 08/15/21 03:57 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Originally Posted by KRoyal
Glad I didn’t sell, got the ammo plant setup and cranking them out.

[Linked Image]

up One off your smarter decisions wink

Looking good Royal!

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: IRUAK88] #8352424 08/15/21 06:29 PM
Boar Meister
Online Content
Boar Meister
Originally Posted by IRUAK88
@Mr. Wilson, all of this talk of LH made me look around for some other options and I stumbled across this fine looking company. I was wondering if you've tried any of their products?

https://hammerbullets.com/product/308-cal-124g-hammer-hunter/

Perhaps I missed it in this ever growing thread.. but the bullet specs and heck even the name suggests it would make for an awesome load!

No I haven't tried them, WC has very strong ties to Lehigh

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Wilson Combat] #8352448 08/15/21 07:00 PM
D
Dzhitshard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
That is almost surely not the minimum fragmentation velocity. If they fragged at 1500fps how would they get into the boiler room on a hog without fragging early when they are pushed at 2500fps?

If they market like Barnes that is the lowest impact speed for the tip to deform & will need another 200-400 fps to reach the beginning of the window for full potential.
PS, They have those same velocities listed for their .30cal match copper solids and it leaves me wondering if that's the minimum speed they want their solids pushed so they don't get sued for a shooter blowing up the gun with a squib.

I'm leery of anything claiming full potential under 2000fps and realistically I'd expect 2100ish+ impact velocity will be needed with their non scored bullets to reach it.

It's hard to know because most people shoot gel at standard distance.
Originally Posted by Wilson Combat

I've been hog hunting exclusively with the Lehigh 110gr CC over the past month and every hog I've shot has been DRT with barely a kick. The longest shot was 220yds. My load is pushing the bullet at 2620fps MV. The way the CC works is that it has to hit fluid to expand, so no matter how fast it impacts it doesn't start expansion/fragmentation until it's inside and impacts fluid in the animal.

Regarding "some of the animals hardly do more than twitch as they run out of view" this is the way a hog normally reacts if hit anywhere except the brain or spine. Trust me, a hit to the center of the neck will drop them 100% of the time and a center hit on the shoulder will kill them 100% of the time, they just normally run 10-50yds.. A hit anywhere else normally results in a non recovered hog.

My intent wasn't to question CC performance but to give an example of why the bullet wasn't going to work magic in an 8" gun.

I don't have any doubt the CC work remarkably well on animals when it's impacts them above minimum fragmentation velocities. No one who sees it questions that anymore than they would question that a CNS shot is the preferred 1st round shot placement on a hog.

It's the assumption that some have that a CC will perform the same from 1500fps to 2600fps that I am saying will likely not happen.

I've shot enough hogs past 100yds with HAM'R and x39 to notice there was an anomaly with the hog responses from the videos of the 300blk impacts compared to mine or most any that are shot with appropriate impact velocities. I'm not saying that it's a CC bullet failure or any shot placement problem of those 300blk hits not having much effect on hogs. Caliber is irrelevant if the bullet isn't moving fast enough to perform as designed.

The intent of design on the CC is to fragment from cavity pressure exceeding hoop strength. What I am suggesting is that if that hoop strength was light enough to explosively fragment after 3-4" of penetration on an animal at 1500fps it's also likely going to be of light enough construction that the nose is going to fold or fragment on impact of anything at 2500fps.

There are literally probably close to 100 pics and videos of hogs taken with CC from members here that show results from close range shots on hogs from 6.5 & .30 caliber rounds. Pretty much all of those demonstrate that is not the case. With that in mind I think it's a reasonable conclusion to state that the cavity construction on this 110gr HAM'R CC projectile isn't likely going to allow explosive fragmentation at the low velocities a 8" gun is going to yield out past 50yds.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Dzhitshard] #8352930 08/16/21 06:59 AM
S
SwatDude1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted by Hard8Choppers

scratch

OK, you have a supercharged v8. Cool in the drive way to show your friends but it can't make it from the Christmas tree down to the end of the 1/4 mile track with the fuel you have.
It's the same with 8" HAM'R losing the velocity and terminal performance on target before it reaches out to 100yds.

I don't have anything against truck guns or even short barrel truck guns, but I have zero need for a truck gun that can't dramatically increase the range of a cary gun. 3" of barrel length nearly doubles the effective range of all these projectiles because it pushes them over expansion velocities so much farther.

Side Note, Since length while fighting from inside of a vehicle is so important I will pay American greenbacks for video of someone uncorking a couple 2300+ fps rounds out of an 8" HAM'R from inside an enclosed vehicle.
crazy
I am not responsible for any of the after effects of such an action though. wink

Have you actually run the ballistics? The Lehigh isn't the best choice for the 8-inch IMO. Based on data published by Bill on this forum, the Hornaday 135FTX was made for the blackout and expands down to 1400 fps. Also based on data from Bill, this round will do 2147fps from the 8-inch barrel. That makes it a 275 yard round with 626 ft-lbs left. This beats the heck of of Federal 9mm 147gr HST at the muzzle of a Glock 17, which I bet my life on every day at my last career. With that said, if you are engaging someone from your car at that distance, you'll most likely be taking a visit to court because you should have made a u-turn instead. shocked
I actually run a Rugged Micro on my 8" HAM'R with 135 HB and wouldn't hesitate to fire it inside my truck. Again, based on Bill's posted info, this round is is still over 1000 ft-lbs at 125 yards. It has the benefit of slightly higher velocity than the FTX and a bit better BC, with the trade off it is a harder bullet with better glass and car door performance. His info from the manufacturer gives it a 1600 fps MEV which boasts an effective range of 225 yards . Wish I'd had this setup for an entry gun back in my SWAT days. Don't even think about running an 8-inch with a 5.56. Even the Black Hills 50gr TSX designed for SBR's only has about a 25-50 yard range out of an 8-inch pistol. I know because I own it and run the Black Hills in it. I can tell you it has way more sound and fury than the 300 HAM'r out of the 8-inch. I know for sure the 50gr TSX will go through level III body armor. I haven't tested the 135HB from the 8-inch yet to see if it will. My gut says it will.

Last edited by SwatDude1; 08/16/21 07:13 AM.
Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8352999 08/16/21 12:05 PM
D
Dzhitshard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
"Hornaday 135FTX was made for the blackout and expands down to 1400 fps"

I suppose depending on what it impacted it could "expand" @ 1400fps but again that word is really subjective in the marketing material in this industry. The last time I was in the Hornady lab I was told the FTX line is designed to begin expansion at 1500fps but needs 1700fps+ for the frontal area to increase expansion enough to be effective on game.

I've seen a lot of dead dudes with ice pick entry and exits and I've seen quite a few men go back to doing what they were doing with holes made from the same rounds. It's all shot placement, black magic and luck in the end. If I have the option of using something that I don't have to carry on my belt I'll chose to have something that gives me the best chance of leaving a softball size hole in whatever I'd need to be shooting.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Dzhitshard] #8353008 08/16/21 12:12 PM
Boar Meister
Online Content
Boar Meister
That is almost surely not the minimum fragmentation velocity. If they fragged at 1500fps how would they get into the boiler room on a hog without fragging early when they are pushed at 2500fps?

If they market like Barnes that is the lowest impact speed for the tip to deform & will need another 200-400 fps to reach the beginning of the window for full potential.
PS, They have those same velocities listed for their .30cal match copper solids and it leaves me wondering if that's the minimum speed they want their solids pushed so they don't get sued for a shooter blowing up the gun with a squib.

I'm leery of anything claiming full potential under 2000fps and realistically I'd expect 2100ish+ impact velocity will be needed with their non scored bullets to reach it.

It's hard to know because most people shoot gel at standard distance.
Originally Posted by Wilson Combat

My intent wasn't to question CC performance but to give an example of why the bullet wasn't going to work magic in an 8" gun.

I don't have any doubt the CC work remarkably well on animals when it's impacts them above minimum fragmentation velocities. No one who sees it questions that anymore than they would question that a CNS shot is the preferred 1st round shot placement on a hog.

It's the assumption that some have that a CC will perform the same from 1500fps to 2600fps that I am saying will likely not happen.

I've shot enough hogs past 100yds with HAM'R and x39 to notice there was an anomaly with the hog responses from the videos of the 300blk impacts compared to mine or most any that are shot with appropriate impact velocities. I'm not saying that it's a CC bullet failure or any shot placement problem of those 300blk hits not having much effect on hogs. Caliber is irrelevant if the bullet isn't moving fast enough to perform as designed.

The intent of design on the CC is to fragment from cavity pressure exceeding hoop strength. What I am suggesting is that if that hoop strength was light enough to explosively fragment after 3-4" of penetration on an animal at 1500fps it's also likely going to be of light enough construction that the nose is going to fold or fragment on impact of anything at 2500fps.

There are literally probably close to 100 pics and videos of hogs taken with CC from members here that show results from close range shots on hogs from 6.5 & .30 caliber rounds. Pretty much all of those demonstrate that is not the case. With that in mind I think it's a reasonable conclusion to state that the cavity construction on this 110gr HAM'R CC projectile isn't likely going to allow explosive fragmentation at the low velocities a 8" gun is going to yield out past 50yds.

I'll be at the Lehigh PA plant next week, I'll ask a lot of ?s

But based on my personal experience with the 110gr CC so far I have no doubt that it will perform as advertised down to an impact velocity of 1800fps and probably less. The only way to really know is to shoot them at distance since you can't download the velocity and shoot them up close due to the reduction in spin rotation which will give you inaccurate results. I'll try to get this done soon.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8353157 08/16/21 02:02 PM
S
SDTurner Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Bill,

In all my testing of the 110CC the petals of the bullet break off and create separate wound channels spiraling off on their own and the base continues on penetrating maintaining about 60 to 70 grains of recovered weight in the base alone.

What have you seen in testing on game and have you recovered any projectiles?

Thanks

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8353628 08/16/21 10:14 PM
J
jbcuster Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
Precision Reloading has 8 lb of CFE BLK in stock.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: jbcuster] #8353630 08/16/21 10:16 PM
J
jbcuster Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
J
https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!l=PDH&i=CFEBLK8

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Dzhitshard] #8353634 08/16/21 10:19 PM
S
SwatDude1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S

I suppose depending on what it impacted it could "expand" @ 1400fps but again that word is really subjective in the marketing material in this industry. The last time I was in the Hornady lab I was told the FTX line is designed to begin expansion at 1500fps but needs 1700fps+ for the frontal area to increase expansion enough to be effective on game.

I've seen a lot of dead dudes with ice pick entry and exits and I've seen quite a few men go back to doing what they were doing with holes made from the same rounds. It's all shot placement, black magic and luck in the end. If I have the option of using something that I don't have to carry on my belt I'll chose to have something that gives me the best chance of leaving a softball size hole in whatever I'd need to be shooting.

Other than 12-gauge 00 tactical buckshot at close range (won't penetrate body armor), if you want softball size holes, you could carry this on your belt...

[Linked Image]

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: SDTurner] #8353736 08/17/21 12:18 AM
Boar Meister
Online Content
Boar Meister
Originally Posted by SDTurner
Bill,

In all my testing of the 110CC the petals of the bullet break off and create separate wound channels spiraling off on their own and the base continues on penetrating maintaining about 60 to 70 grains of recovered weight in the base alone.

What have you seen in testing on game and have you recovered any projectiles?

Thanks

That's been my experience too. The only recovered bullets were shot into water and each time no matter if the distance was 50yds or 150yds 4 peddles and the base were recovered. In game I haven't tried to dig anything out, they just die DRT

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8354415 08/17/21 07:42 PM
D
DUKFVR Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
Took my new 300 Ham'r out yesterday evening for the 1st time. Had a boar about 160 lbs cone out. 130 grain HHC .
DRT right through shoulders. So far, so good!

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: SwatDude1] #8354712 08/18/21 12:28 AM
D
Dzhitshard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by SwatDude1

Other than 12-gauge 00 tactical buckshot at close range (won't penetrate body armor), if you want softball size holes, you could carry this on your belt...

[Linked Image]

I'd consider pocket carry with that but then that sunshade would make it look like, well you know. roflmao

Please excuse my "subguns are sub guns and they aren't rifles" tirade. As true as it is this isn't the venue for that sidebar.

More DJ videos please.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: DUKFVR] #8354780 08/18/21 01:14 AM
M
MC68 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Originally Posted by DUKFVR
Took my new 300 Ham'r out yesterday evening for the 1st time. Had a boar about 160 lbs cone out. 130 grain HHC .
DRT right through shoulders. So far, so good!

Nice work!

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #8355626 08/18/21 08:14 PM
M
Mike McInnis Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
I received my Ranger barrel. I built the upper and shot it today in a lower with a WC flat spring and carbine buffer. i am a happy camper. The 130HHC WC load had just enough recoil to let you know that you are onto something good. The only components I have are SRP, Hornady 125 FMJ, FC formed brass, and CFEBLK. I worked up to 25.5 grains of powder and am wondering if I should try to work all the way up to 27 grains of powder without MSRP. The primers in all the fired shell cases look about the same, that is handloads and factory. What do you suggest?

Last edited by Mike McInnis; 08/18/21 08:16 PM.
Page 70 of 152 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 151 152
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide