Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Hill Country stud [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8348469 08/11/21 10:09 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted by tlk
those pics were from early to mid July - so yeah I think he still had some to grow -

up up up

Sure hope one of your grandkids lays him down

I have 7 of them so should be interesting which one can take him - 6 of them are old enough to hunt so I cannot wait to watch this play out - and they are all competitive LOL

You can't fix stupid
Re: Hill Country stud [Re: tlk] #8348614 08/12/21 12:29 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Really nice deer in a great area. I drive on 962 from Round Mountain to 71 and have seen many deer in the area. Most seem to be on the south side of 962. Going to be a nice deer for someone....maybe there is a better one out there. up

Re: Hill Country stud [Re: tlk] #8348631 08/12/21 12:47 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
oldrancher on here has a place at Round Mountain.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Hill Country stud [Re: tlk] #8348661 08/12/21 01:11 AM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Walnut Creek runs through the middle of the place if that helps

Last edited by tlk; 08/12/21 01:14 AM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Hill Country stud [Re: tlk] #8348858 08/12/21 07:33 AM
M
MAP Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Had a new 5 year lease agreed on with LO and at last minute guy came in and offered crazy money to take over the lease. He asked me to stay on and I said "no thank you"

thats bs....where ya'll hunting on the galvan? I've heard alot of mixed results about that ranch

congrats on the new adventures with the grandkids, it'll probably end up being one of your favorite deer seasons ever

Re: Hill Country stud [Re: MAP] #8348886 08/12/21 11:03 AM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by MAP
Had a new 5 year lease agreed on with LO and at last minute guy came in and offered crazy money to take over the lease. He asked me to stay on and I said "no thank you"

thats bs....where ya'll hunting on the galvan? I've heard alot of mixed results about that ranch

congrats on the new adventures with the grandkids, it'll probably end up being one of your favorite deer seasons ever

No sir - it was part of the original Chittim ranch - the Las Cruces ranch on 481 -

You can't fix stupid
Re: Hill Country stud [Re: tlk] #8348908 08/12/21 11:41 AM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by tlk
those pics were from early to mid July - so yeah I think he still had some to grow -

up up up

Sure hope one of your grandkids lays him down

I have 7 of them so should be interesting which one can take him - 6 of them are old enough to hunt so I cannot wait to watch this play out - and they are all competitive LOL

roflmao roflmao

Nothing like a little sibling/family rivalry fo sho

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Hill Country stud [Re: MAP] #8348910 08/12/21 11:44 AM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by MAP

The Galvan would be like hunting the hill country when compared to the country tlk had. lol
I think the area tlk was in is probably the best WT hunting in the US when it comes to producing monster LF bucks.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Hill Country stud [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8348932 08/12/21 12:10 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by MAP

The Galvan would be like hunting the hill country when compared to the country tlk had. lol
I think the area tlk was in is probably the best WT hunting in the US when it comes to producing monster LF bucks.

over the 13 years I had it leased I ran across lots of guys who had hunted other major ranches like the Galvan. Many of them are quality ranches but I have to agree with you that Maverick County is the best there is.

Sometime back I researched the number of Boone and Crockett record book entries for all of Texas for the past 10 and 30 years and Maverick had the most entries in both typical and non typical of any county - on top of that Maverick is quite a bit smaller than most other counties so it is even more impressive. It is a shame that much of that area is being so adversely affected by the illegal traffic - when they are brazen enough to just walk up to your campfire at night demanding things then that gets a really uncomfortable

Last edited by tlk; 08/12/21 12:11 PM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Hill Country stud [Re: tlk] #8349347 08/12/21 05:16 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by tlk

over the 13 years I had it leased I ran across lots of guys who had hunted other major ranches like the Galvan. Many of them are quality ranches but I have to agree with you that Maverick County is the best there is.

Sometime back I researched the number of Boone and Crockett record book entries for all of Texas for the past 10 and 30 years and Maverick had the most entries in both typical and non typical of any county - on top of that Maverick is quite a bit smaller than most other counties so it is even more impressive. It is a shame that much of that area is being so adversely affected by the illegal traffic - when they are brazen enough to just walk up to your campfire at night demanding things then that gets a really uncomfortable

Basically the country that is encompassed in between Highways 83, 57, & 277 is just ridiculous...especially the northern 2/3s or so of it.
All the old Chittum country, Chaparosa, and surrounding area is just crazy good genetics coupled with great management along with great natural deer feed! lol

Re: Hill Country stud [Re: tlk] #8349373 08/12/21 05:34 PM
M
MAP Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
No sir - it was part of the original Chittim ranch - the Las Cruces ranch on 481 -

oh well that makes sense, I havent heard of the las cruces ranch but of course I know that area, really special place for monster framed bucks......always has been and always will be. There are several tracts of the old chittum for sale now, I guess the only problem with that area is lack of ground water.

I've always wondered where the top typical from Maverick county was killed at and just found out it was on the Gage ranch down there, that place just got listed for sale as well. I've always said that there are golden rings inside of the golden triangle and you hunted one of them.

Re: Hill Country stud [Re: tlk] #8349446 08/12/21 06:47 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
MAP, I knew the Picosa Creek Ranch was for sale. Which other pastures are up for sale of the original Chittum?
My buddies hunt the pasture to the west of it.

For a cool $10m it could be all yours.

Last edited by ILUVBIGBUCKS; 08/12/21 06:48 PM.

Re: Hill Country stud [Re: tlk] #8349619 08/12/21 09:11 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
interesting stuff - you are correct some areas had little ground water and no well water available - the place we leased had not only nice tanks on it but also had water pilas run all over the property -

below is a pretty cool summary of Mr Chttim and his ranch back in the day when it was all one piece - story was that he lived in San Antonio and would go out to his ranch - he would be on horseback and get lost and the cowboys would have to go find him and help him find his way home -

the El Tesoro ranch sold which was part of the old Chittim - 5 mill

https://historic.one/tx/maverick-county/historical-marker/chittim-ranch

Last edited by tlk; 08/12/21 09:13 PM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Hill Country stud [Re: tlk] #8350090 08/13/21 11:45 AM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by tlk
interesting stuff - you are correct some areas had little ground water and no well water available - the place we leased had not only nice tanks on it but also had water pilas run all over the property -

below is a pretty cool summary of Mr Chttim and his ranch back in the day when it was all one piece - story was that he lived in San Antonio and would go out to his ranch - he would be on horseback and get lost and the cowboys would have to go find him and help him find his way home -

Thanks for the link.
Definitely a historical Texas Ranch no doubt.
And the Dos Chimeneas Ranch house is on the texas historical list and is one of my my all time favorite deer camps for sure. Just a very neat place.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Hill Country stud [Re: tlk] #8351822 08/14/21 11:20 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted by tlk

I know a man in San Antonio who is related to Sam Maverick who is mentioned in this article. Interesting history on this man, supposedly Maverick county was named after him and he got the name because he would not brand his cattle.

Re: Hill Country stud [Re: tlk] #8352391 08/15/21 05:18 PM
M
MAP Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
that picture of the old house is cool, thats a ranch I wanted to hunt. They use to have a ranch website I think it was the chittum white ranch or something like that. If you have any old deer pictures from that place it would be cool to see them.

I'm pretty sure one of the chittums have a place outside of boerne, on the same road that tapatio springs is one. They have a big old house on the side of the road with the name at the front. There is also a very nice place on the road between new braunfels and boerne that I believe is owned by the white's.

I just cant imagine the deer that have lived and died on those ranches over the centuries that never saw a human or a feeder but where still monsters.

Re: Hill Country stud [Re: MAP] #8352401 08/15/21 05:37 PM
tlk Online Happy OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by MAP
that picture of the old house is cool, thats a ranch I wanted to hunt. They use to have a ranch website I think it was the chittum white ranch or something like that. If you have any old deer pictures from that place it would be cool to see them.

I'm pretty sure one of the chittums have a place outside of boerne, on the same road that tapatio springs is one. They have a big old house on the side of the road with the name at the front. There is also a very nice place on the road between new braunfels and boerne that I believe is owned by the white's.

I just cant imagine the deer that have lived and died on those ranches over the centuries that never saw a human or a feeder but where still monsters.

Yes that is one of the Chittim family members who lives on that road in Boerne

You can't fix stupid
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide