Print Thread
LBJ Grasslands #8329919 07/24/21 02:05 AM
T
TheHeadTurkey Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Is hunting on LBJ National Grasslands still a thing? I saw a video where a guy shot a doe with a bow on the property and It looked like a pretty cool place to hunt. I looked it up and it's not in the public land booklet like the Caddo National Grasslands are. I looked for other links besides the tpwd public lnd booklet and I saw a thing from 2020 about a petition to ban hunting on the LBJ Grasslands. Did they go through with this petition? If they did then that's really annoying.

Re: LBJ Grasslands [Re: TheHeadTurkey] #8330079 07/24/21 12:23 PM
S
Sauerkraut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Nope. You can still hunt there. If you want to work, you can be successful. A good friend of mine got two bucks last year.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: LBJ Grasslands [Re: Sauerkraut] #8330152 07/24/21 02:04 PM
T
TheHeadTurkey Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
T
Do you need one of those 48 dollar permits to hunt on LBJ or any other kind of permit?

Re: LBJ Grasslands [Re: TheHeadTurkey] #8330670 07/25/21 02:29 AM
S
Sauerkraut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Not at LBJ, just a hunting license. My advice, find a larger area and walk farther than most people want to. Look for areas that don't have easy access. Better if you shoot a bow as you can get an early start on the season and it's legal to take a doe during bow season at LBJ. Missed a chance at a doe on my very first sit out there. I was being lazy and inattentive...she walked 10 yards in front of me and I wasn't ready.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: LBJ Grasslands [Re: Sauerkraut] #8331043 07/25/21 07:44 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Sauerkraut
Nope. You can still hunt there. If you want to work, you can be successful. A good friend of mine got two bucks last year.

That’s above average for that area

Re: LBJ Grasslands [Re: Biscuit] #8331155 07/25/21 10:24 PM
S
Sauerkraut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Biscuit
Originally Posted by Sauerkraut

That’s above average for that area

No doubt. He spends a lot of time out there. Don't know how he swings it with the Mrs.

Re: LBJ Grasslands [Re: TheHeadTurkey] #8337573 07/31/21 10:58 PM
nak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A word of advice folks...within the LBJ Grasslands, there is a 1500 acre area designated as a bird dog training area. The Valley View Group Campground is part of that area. Bird dogs are trained off-leash, trainers blow whistles and yell at dogs, there may be trainers on horseback, and they may be firing blank guns or shotguns over their pointing dogs.

This area gets heavy use year round, by both the horseback riders and dog trainers, but Bow Season is a month before the start of Quail Season . The birddog folks (like me) will be out in full force. Since it's still hot then, the dog folks will be out there at sunrise, or late in the evening.

The gates to this area have a small sign that says "Bird Dog Training Area" and/or "Harvesting of Bob White quail is prohibited".

Hike into this area before daylight and set up, and I can almost guarantee OUR DOGS WILL BUST YOU! They will probably bark at you, because they do not expect to find folks hidden in the brush, that do not move. Just talk to them, they are not aggressive and are used to hunting with strangers.

I have lost track of how many pissed off bow hunters I've seen dragging their gear out of bush in this area over the years. Some have cussed us. One threatened with his bow (bad plan). Most have no idea they are hunting in a area designed for off-leash dog training. A couple were under the impression the area was closed to everything but hunting during deer season.

There is plenty of other land out there. I think most of the folks we see have shown up at LBJ for the first time the morning of their first hunt. They are discouraged to find vehicles already parked at every gate and parking spot...all of a sudden they find gates with no vehicles, so in they go.

We all need to practice Whoa more.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide