Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rant about roofing contractors [Re: Kevin_M] #8307117 06/28/21 07:56 PM
D
DannyB Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
OP, You might want to ask your insurance agent how metal roofs are handled on hail claims now. I've heard everything down through the years and really don't know. One agent years ago told me it could be dented up, but if not leaking, no claim. A standing seam roof has a little more flat smooth area between ridges than other metal roofing products.

I know the great looking black standing seam roof on our office would not look good if dimpled up like a golf ball after a hail storm.

Re: Rant about roofing contractors [Re: Kevin_M] #8307126 06/28/21 08:03 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Silverado Roofing Group LLC in McKinney. They are a little far for the OP in Bell County but others in the DFW area may be looking. They did a GREAT job for me on a house I use to own in Carrollton. Mike & Wendy Odell are good people.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Rant about roofing contractors [Re: DannyB] #8307131 06/28/21 08:14 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by DannyB
OP, You might want to ask your insurance agent how metal roofs are handled on hail claims now. I've heard everything down through the years and really don't know. One agent years ago told me it could be dented up, but if not leaking, no claim. A standing seam roof has a little more flat smooth area between ridges than other metal roofing products.

I know the great looking black standing seam roof on our office would not look good if dimpled up like a golf ball after a hail storm.

I am going through a hail related roof claim. I asked my agent about metal roofs, and he explained it thoroughly. They will insure it, but require you to sign a cosmetic damage clause. They won’t cover cosmetic hail dents, it has to be leaking, or be penetrated by the hail.

Re: Rant about roofing contractors [Re: 68rustbucket] #8307134 06/28/21 08:23 PM
K
Kevin_M Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
K
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

I am going through a hail related roof claim. I asked my agent about metal roofs, and he explained it thoroughly. They will insure it, but require you to sign a cosmetic damage clause. They won’t cover cosmetic hail dents, it has to be leaking, or be penetrated by the hail.

Oh, it leaks... There are some underlying details/circumstances. I got the property well under asking price and bought it as is. The inspector did not see anything of concern with the roof or pretty much anything for that matter as it was as dry as a popcorn fart during the inspection and there was no way you would know it leaks like it does unless its raining pretty hard. As far as insurance goes, even with a 1% deductible, its cheaper to pay out of pocket than try and file a claim.

Re: Rant about roofing contractors [Re: Kevin_M] #8307154 06/28/21 08:40 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
After the tornadoes in Canton several years ago my insurance company paid out because of the dents in the ridges of my metal roof.
confused2

Make America Great Again

Re: Rant about roofing contractors [Re: 68rustbucket] #8308534 06/30/21 05:37 AM
B
BDB Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B

Some carriers are and some are not, its not across the board but that it could be one day.

Re: Rant about roofing contractors [Re: BDB] #8308569 06/30/21 11:19 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by BDB

Some carriers are and some are not, its not across the board but that it could be one day.

Typically, with grade A companies, it is the choice of the consumer. Some put it in their policy language and you have to pay extra to remove the cosmetic damage exclusion. Others provide it as an endorsement and it will show up as a discount.

They all pretty much work like this - the Discount comes with a Cosmetic Damage Exclusion for the peril of hail and only for hail. If hail pits, dents or otherwise mars the appearance of the roof without damaging the functional integrity of the roof to keep the home dry, then no claim will be paid. If the hail damages the roof preventing it from performing its intended purpose, then a claim will apply.

Some love it and the savings it provides while others won't have it.

Re: Rant about roofing contractors [Re: Kevin_M] #8308716 06/30/21 01:33 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Thanks for the professional explanation Hud!

Re: Rant about roofing contractors [Re: Kevin_M] #8308763 06/30/21 02:01 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Insurance companies got tired of paying out on roof claims with people never actually repairing/replacing the roof because functionality was still there. This "behavior" led to all sorts of issues.

Re: Rant about roofing contractors [Re: Kevin_M] #8308802 06/30/21 02:41 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Btw, bought our roofing material May 26th. Still waiting.

Re: Rant about roofing contractors [Re: Kevin_M] #8308808 06/30/21 02:45 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Still waiting on my class 4 HP shingles.

Re: Rant about roofing contractors [Re: 68rustbucket] #8308850 06/30/21 03:28 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Still waiting on my class 4 HP shingles.

You too Rusbucket? confused2

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Rant about roofing contractors [Re: Hudbone] #8309019 06/30/21 06:25 PM
B
BDB Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Insurance companies got tired of paying out on roof claims with people never actually repairing/replacing the roof because functionality was still there. This "behavior" led to all sorts of issues.

While that was an issue the bigger reasons were roofers out hustling and nocking doors and targeting metal, because they know of the payout on them if that roof were hit in the past with hail. With a mortgage involed its hard to pocket money and most people do not own their home. Manufacturers touting warranties even with hail dings yet roofs getting bought simply because of cosmetic dings....and some of these dings are what we call "pepper" dings. The metal roofs were sound yet getting bought....and the IA's were more tickled than the roofers! Its not very hard to find a ding on a metal shingle/panel if its been around awhile, or some still go by the 10x10 rule.

EVERY ROOFING COMPANY is a metal roofing expert up until the contract is signed....then they scramble to find an installer....usually by contacting the supplier or manufacturers.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide