Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Exotic prices [Re: dirthawker] #8272200 05/21/21 12:36 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Some people are not only experts at things they’ve never done, but experts also at things they will never do.

Last edited by maximus_flavius; 05/21/21 12:36 PM.
Re: Exotic prices [Re: maximus_flavius] #8272445 05/21/21 03:28 PM
I
intohunting Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
I
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
Some people are not only experts at things they’ve never done, but experts also at things they will never do.

happy3 Ain't that the truth.

Re: Exotic prices [Re: Mike Honcho] #8272471 05/21/21 03:44 PM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Mike Honcho
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Daddy taught me a couple of things about traveling:

1). Do not look at the women when in a place where people speak different

2). Do not look down upon others who do things differently - that's all it is, different

Wise man!

I agree 100% with that up

Re: Exotic prices [Re: dirthawker] #8272618 05/21/21 05:37 PM
E
Eskimo36 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
E
I still don't think we have seen pictures from the OP's Texas hunts. I'm beginning to have my doubts....

Re: Exotic prices [Re: Eskimo36] #8273062 05/22/21 02:17 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Eskimo36
I still don't think we have seen pictures from the OP's Texas hunts. I'm beginning to have my doubts....

Because he never killed anything, he spent his time looking for land owners that would let him hunt for free rofl

Re: Exotic prices [Re: dirthawker] #8273583 05/22/21 10:31 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I got to thinking this afternoon about this thread. I was not going to get involved in it anymore. I raise exotics. Maybe not the type the one who started this crap worries about but in reality they are all in hunting terms "Exotics". Today I darted a Ibex to worm. treat mites and trim hooves. I checked snares and fixed the ones that armadillos or others had messed up. I guided for a number of years full time. There are certain hunters that the person who started this seemed to be worried about were shooting so called farm animals. Let me set the record straight. There are more hunters than you think that just want to shoot something. Most are not that proficient in any type of hunting. The so called taking of a "farm animal" is just fine with them. Probably this hunt will entice them to continue hunting and the next time hunt something different and maybe more difficult. I can not count the times I have hunted someone and they have told me. I just want to shoot something. I can make a hunt as hard as a person wants it to be. If a person is in a hurry and just wants an animal that is fine. If a person wants to to shoot a milk cow and make it hard I can do that. Don't blame guides, hunting services or outfitters for what they are offering or the prices they charge. Blame the person that pays to do the hunt.

Re: Exotic prices [Re: don k] #8273691 05/23/21 12:58 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by don k
I got to thinking this afternoon about this thread. I was not going to get involved in it anymore. I raise exotics. Maybe not the type the one who started this crap worries about but in reality they are all in hunting terms "Exotics". Today I darted a Ibex to worm. treat mites and trim hooves. I checked snares and fixed the ones that armadillos or others had messed up. I guided for a number of years full time. There are certain hunters that the person who started this seemed to be worried about were shooting so called farm animals. Let me set the record straight. There are more hunters than you think that just want to shoot something. Most are not that proficient in any type of hunting. The so called taking of a "farm animal" is just fine with them. Probably this hunt will entice them to continue hunting and the next time hunt something different and maybe more difficult. I can not count the times I have hunted someone and they have told me. I just want to shoot something. I can make a hunt as hard as a person wants it to be. If a person is in a hurry and just wants an animal that is fine. If a person wants to to shoot a milk cow and make it hard I can do that. Don't blame guides, hunting services or outfitters for what they are offering or the prices they charge. Blame the person that pays to do the hunt.

I've only been on one "farm animal" hunt, was an archery sheep hunt 20 yrs ago near Kerrville. Myself, and 19 other guys got together for a Fathers Day special they were running. After a short time riding around with our guide, I learned that this was no hunt at all like I was used to. I picked out a nice Black Hawaiian Ram with the right colored tag in his ear, followed him around until he let me get within range, and I killed him. I was the first of the group to take an animal, and was done for the weekend. You know what? Besides the chiggers & ticks that trip was a lot of fun. I had more fun helping new hunters with their animals/cooking & drinking beer, than I did killing that sheep. I never badmouthed the operation. It wasn't a hunt to me (was for some of the guys) it was a killing, and I enjoyed the heck out of it. It was something different & new. That place also had free range axis, but was out of my price range at the time so I had to pass. I'd do it again just as an excuse to get together with friends. up

Re: Exotic prices [Re: dirthawker] #8273722 05/23/21 01:20 AM
Txhunter65 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
I don’t think there’s really anyone to blame. There’s a need, the market fills the need. Like you said different hunters have different experience levels and different expectations. We all grow with our experiences and those expectations change. I’d say yes there are instances where outfitters/guides mislead hunters on what can be expected; however, I’d bet more often hunters don’t communicate their expectations and that is the real reason for the dissatisfaction with a hunt. I think most outfitters/guides strive to fulfill dreams after all that’s what we’re really after, we’ve all dreamed of each and every hunt before we ever step foot on the property we’re going to hunt. Like you said if you’re aware of the clients expectations you can make a hunt for a milk cow hard.
Unfortunately there’s always going to be crooks in every profession thinking we’re going to put an end to con artist is about the same as thinking we’ll put an end to racism. While saying we’re going to end both sounds good both are evil and you’ll never stamp out evil.

Re: Exotic prices [Re: dirthawker] #8274830 05/24/21 12:32 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I agree with you Don and Tx, it's from those hunts that we as customers learn what to ask. At least there are forums these days to learn what to ask an guide service so we ca better understand what we will get out of the hunt.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Exotic prices [Re: dirthawker] #8278629 05/27/21 11:31 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
[Linked Image]
Another reason some think prices are too high. Blame the coyotes not the outfitters. Coyotes got this antelope less than 200 yds. from my house last night. After the big freeze I had 5 antelope left . Now I have 4 thanks to a coyote.

Re: Exotic prices [Re: dirthawker] #8278630 05/27/21 11:33 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Oh, and not a lot of mud from the big rain we were supposed to have gotten.

Re: Exotic prices [Re: dirthawker] #8278863 05/28/21 11:07 AM
D
Dimitri Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
dirthawker,

1. Of course you are entitled to your opinion. But be open to the facts presented by those who have first-hand knowledge/experience breeding the sheep and/or the outfitters who sell them

2. Before you book a hunt find out everything that is important to you. Whether it is the facilities, size of property, terrain, prices, high vs low fence, population numbers, how tame or wild/skittish the game is, likelihood of shooting the animal on your wishlist and how long the hunt needs to be to achieve that etc etc. If there is something you don't like then pass up and move onto the next potential venue/outfitter.

3. A farmer can charge what he likes for his game and there are countless factors affecting his price. But it makes sense for him to charge at much as the market will tolerate (given his set-up) in order to maximise his profits. That's what most businesses do. It is his right to charge what he likes and your right to pass up if you don't like the price.

4. You do have anomalies that pop up every now and then and that may affect prices and availability more dramatically than usual. Not sure if there is an anomaly affecting the sheep you are after at the moment. In SA we had colour-variants. One year farmers were getting around R700 on average for impala ewes from local hunters and 2 years later game capturers were offering farmers R4,000 for their impala ewes (sold on to farmers who put black impala rams - trading at R70,000 + per head - onto them). So, rather suddenly impala ewes were not available to hunt at all or only available at R2,000 - R4,000 each. Of course the prices were expensive but to expect the farmer to sell at R700 a head was plain ridiculous when the market was offering so much more. The wheel turned, the colour-variant pyramid crashed and normal prices returned in the space of a few years. Perhaps conditions will change in the future and you might find prices more acceptable.

Re: Exotic prices [Re: dirthawker] #8278902 05/28/21 01:00 PM
S
soooo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

We should get free exotics to go along with a college education. Money for nothing and the chicks are free.

Re: Exotic prices [Re: soooo] #8280099 05/29/21 10:43 PM
Txhunter65 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by soooo

We should get free exotics to go along with a college education. Money for nothing and the chicks are free.

I’m with this guy!

Re: Exotic prices [Re: Txhunter65] #8280562 05/30/21 05:01 PM
I
intohunting Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Txhunter65
Originally Posted by soooo

I’m with this guy!

Biden to issue goat vouchers to stimulate the economy.
[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide