Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 41 of 42 1 2 39 40 41 42
Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: GasGuzzler] #9084133 07/31/24 02:13 AM
Derek Offline
Fert Squirter
Fert Squirter
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
Twice as much on Amazon than at Lowe's but no Lowe's close. Dang I was in Denton yesterday. Oh well, road trip I guess.

Found my Stonewall bag. Let me break it down as easy as possible. Going off the label here. Fertilizer amounts you can FAFO with. Herbicides you don't. 0.68 Lesco Stonewall is 5.05lbs per year max rate at 1000sq feet. Some labels and different AI's might/well explain how long your expected length of control is. Prodiamine is my favorite. Dimension/dithiopyr is another good one. Shorter residual. Lots of other ones.

So let's breakdown 0.68% Lowes Stonewall. Rounded numbers here. Acre is 43.500 square feet.. So 220lbs max per year per acre divided by 43.5 is 5.05lbs per 1000.sq feet. That's the label rate. Divide that by 2 and you have your 2 apps per year rate. Dimension, Gallery, Halts, all have their own label and different Pre's AI's. As I mentioned. None of these are 100% and some better than others. Know your weeds(best you can) and always have post options.
[Linked Image]

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #9084215 07/31/24 11:49 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
In stock and cheaper than Lowe's at the Prosper SiteOne but that's even farther than Denton or Sherman. SiteOne's is 0.43% and the Lowe's is 0.68% which the difference you mentioned a couple times I guess. I just put down 15-5-10 with no herbicide this past weekend so I should be fine on the low dose of Stonewall by the 15th (likely 8-17 or 8-18) as it looks like its fertilizer component is not huge.

Pass the gravy.

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #9084246 07/31/24 01:12 PM
Derek Offline
Fert Squirter
Fert Squirter
The price of the Siteone 0.43 and the Lowes 0.68 will breakdown to be the same cost per 1000sq feet.

5000sq feet. Siteone 0.43 you'll need 20lbs at a total cost of $12.40
5000sq feet Lowes 0.68 you'll need 12.5lbs at a total cost of $12.50

Don't bother about the fert analysis of the 0-0-7. It's just some potassium used as carrier.

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #9084748 08/01/24 11:26 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Pretty much figured all that.

Pass the gravy.

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #9086142 08/04/24 02:50 PM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
So I found CLICK HERE locally. How does it compare to the previously mentioned products? It's a 0-0-7 made by the same company (Lesco). Below is a pic of the chemicals. I cannot get a clear pic of the chems in the stonewall off the internet.

[Linked Image]

Pass the gravy.

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #9086232 08/04/24 06:22 PM
Derek Offline
Fert Squirter
Fert Squirter
It’s on the lower end as quality goes for pre. That’s the same as Scott halts. It’s what everyone used until Prodiamine was invented. Pend has a short soil residual. If you were going to use it I would divide the yearly max rate by 4 and apply it every 3 months. You probably wouldn’t find anyone on the “pro” side that uses Pend anymore. TruGreen doesn’t even use it lol

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #9089341 08/10/24 01:46 PM
Ol Thumper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
So this year I want to do everything by the book so when do we put out the fall pre emergents and exactly what is used?
Second question is if the lawns heavily watered from the irrigation system or rain will it need to be done again? I’m finding the pre emergents are seemingly wearing off with the amount of rain we get up here and I end up fighting weeds before the next round is due, any idea bossman Derek?

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #9089380 08/10/24 03:54 PM
Derek Offline
Fert Squirter
Fert Squirter
I’m doing pre next weekend. Next 2-3 weeks is good. I like prodiamine. Stonewall 0-0-7 at Lowe’s. There are other versions of it. Including another Lesco Stonewall sold at Siteone another one called Barricade. Those are all granular. I spray it. You can split up your apps to overlap for better protection. It’s tough to do with granular because the six month rate of Lowe’s Stonewall is 2.5-3lbs per 1000. It would be tough to divide that in half and spread 1.5lbs evenly over 1000. If you’re spraying it, it’s much easier to divide apps out and apply every three months. You could get a lower % active ingredient granular where you need to spread a higher amount and that would be easier to spread evenly. Let me know what product you plan on using and ill calculate the amount to use and a base quarterly date target for you

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #9089669 08/11/24 04:38 AM
Ol Thumper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
My product plan is whatever’s best in a spray application per your recommendation , I drive by SiteOne every day so adding more chemicals to my lab isn’t a problem roflmao One of these days they’ll be calling me for chemicals lol

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #9089703 08/11/24 11:21 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Derek said August 15th a page or two ago so I am settling for next weekend. Can't get to Denton or Sherman for the chemicals until Saturday. Using the acre size of my lot and converting to square feet, then subtracting the approximate size of my driveway, flower beds, porches, house, and garden ... looks like I have about 8600 sq/ft of lawn. That works out almost perfectly for exactly one half of a 45 pound granular bag of Lesco Stonewall from Lowe's.

I have regular lawn maintenance today plus I am putting in my Asian jasmine in the shaded area under my live oak. Watered the ground really well yesterday evening in prep. 18 little pots to plant.

I will post a before picture then a picture of the plantings ... then maybe a few progress pics as it comes in.

Pass the gravy.

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: GasGuzzler] #9089749 08/11/24 01:14 PM
Ol Thumper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Derek said August 15th a page or two ago so I am settling for next weekend. Can't get to Denton or Sherman for the chemicals until Saturday. Using the acre size of my lot and converting to square feet, then subtracting the approximate size of my driveway, flower beds, porches, house, and garden ... looks like I have about 8600 sq/ft of lawn. That works out almost perfectly for exactly one half of a 45 pound granular bag of Lesco Stonewall from Lowe's.

I have regular lawn maintenance today plus I am putting in my Asian jasmine in the shaded area under my live oak. Watered the ground really well yesterday evening in prep. 18 little pots to plant.

I will post a before picture then a picture of the plantings ... then maybe a few progress pics as it comes in.

If your anywhere around Whitesboro or close to it I can pick up whatever you need from SiteOne and meet up one day this week on my way home, I drive by it daily and come up 377 and head east on 82 to Paris daily as well. Happy to help out if needed,

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #9089759 08/11/24 01:27 PM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
If your anywhere around Whitesboro or close to it I can pick up whatever you need from SiteOne and meet up one day this week on my way home, I drive by it daily and come up 377 and head east on 82 to Paris daily as well. Happy to help out if needed,

Hey, that's really cool. Might take you up on that someday. My 14 year old daughter wants to go to Denton because it's uncommon for her mom to pick Denton over Sherman. Mom doesn't like traffic but I can get to Denton and back quicker, saving me at least 9 minutes over a trip to Sherman.
clap

Before and adfter 18 little plants in the ground and watered.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Pass the gravy.

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #9089778 08/11/24 02:04 PM
Derek Offline
Fert Squirter
Fert Squirter
My product plan is whatever’s best in a spray application per your recommendation , I drive by SiteOne every day so adding more chemicals to my lab isn’t a problem roflmao One of these days they’ll be calling me for chemicals lol

0.40oz by weight per 1000 Aug 15th/Feb 15th. Or 0.20 Aug/Nov/Feb/May. Like I’ve mentioned in the past I don’t really care too much about broadleaf pre emergent as those are easy to kill post. If you want to buy isoxaben/gallery for broadleaf control you can. It’s pricey.

https://www.solutionsstores.com/pro...V-zEIBR1G1QjdEAQYASABEgJNRvD_BwE#156=879

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #9089965 08/11/24 09:53 PM
Ol Thumper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Ok I checked and I have all of it including the Gallery already so next weekend’s spray time, thanks Daddy Derek clap

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #9090187 08/12/24 02:38 PM
Derek Offline
Fert Squirter
Fert Squirter
Ok I checked and I have all of it including the Gallery already so next weekend’s spray time, thanks Daddy Derek clap

Gallery at 0.50oz by weight per 1000 will give you 4-6 months control. Sometimes gallery doesn't dissolve the best. I let it sit in the bucket of water for a while before I mix. I always strain through a paint strainer into the tank on all mines unless I'm just mixing liquids.

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #9090570 08/12/24 10:30 PM
Ol Thumper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
If you get up to the northern Dallas area or if I make it down that way you have a nice steak dinner coming for helping me and everyone else on here up

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #9090579 08/12/24 10:37 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Hey Derek. Can you put down Grubex and pre-emergent on the same day?

FKH - Lets Go Kamelhoe
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Jimbo1] #9090629 08/12/24 11:55 PM
Derek Offline
Fert Squirter
Fert Squirter
Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Hey Derek. Can you put down Grubex and pre-emergent on the same day?

Sure. But your dates would rarely align that you would do that. Grubex should be put out in the late spring around late April. So, if you're on a split pre program and your second app of pre in May then sure. Grubex doesn't kill the grubs in the soil. It kills the new grubs as they try to enter into the soil.The other thing it does is control armyworms. It takes a while for the granulars to breakdown get watered in, barrier formed and root absorbed up to the leaf for armyworm protection. That's why you go out early with it for later control. Applying grub ex now will basically do nothing. If you have grubs now go with Dylox and water it in well. Lowes has a good granular of it.

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #9091389 08/14/24 02:32 AM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
With good water and lots of heat and sun which grass is going to prevail in a lawn where they all reside?

San Augustine
Bermuda
Bahai

Make America Great Again

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #9091565 08/14/24 02:29 PM
Derek Offline
Fert Squirter
Fert Squirter
Probably St Aug. It can choke out most grasses when it's doing well. Personally I would kill off the Bahia and let the bermuda and St Aug fight it out. Bahia seed head season would drive me insane.

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Derek] #9091729 08/14/24 05:20 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Derek
Probably St Aug. It can choke out most grasses when it's doing well. Personally I would kill off the Bahia and let the bermuda and St Aug fight it out. Bahia seed head season would drive me insane.

With LOTS of water and sun, healthy St. Augustine seems to choke out everything else in my yard.

My 100' x 75' backyard was already St. Augustine when we bought this place 6 years ago. This house was a weekend home for folks who lived 3.5 hours away so the yard was very neglected - but the grass flourished with an automatic sprinkler system. When we moved in, we did the other side of the house with 16 pallets of St. Augustine. I would NOT have gone this route if we didn't have unlimited free water from the lake. I have my mower set high and it seems to like it.

I did learn a lesson last year about just how fast a fungus can ruin a lot of grass if you aren't paying attention!

Last edited by Marc K; 08/14/24 05:20 PM.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Marc K] #9091998 08/15/24 01:26 AM
Derek Offline
Fert Squirter
Fert Squirter
Originally Posted by Marc K

With LOTS of water and sun, healthy St. Augustine seems to choke out everything else in my yard.

My 100' x 75' backyard was already St. Augustine when we bought this place 6 years ago. This house was a weekend home for folks who lived 3.5 hours away so the yard was very neglected - but the grass flourished with an automatic sprinkler system. When we moved in, we did the other side of the house with 16 pallets of St. Augustine. I would NOT have gone this route if we didn't have unlimited free water from the lake. I have my mower set high and it seems to like it.

I did learn a lesson last year about just how fast a fungus can ruin a lot of grass if you aren't paying attention!

Nailed it. Watering and disease prevention is key with St Aug. Bermuda you can neglect it and it will go dormant and bounce back fast with rain/watering/care. Aug will just die. With you being experienced on Aug what is your disease prevention/fert program look like? I think I would not be bagging, low(er) NPK inputs, watering/irrigation on point and watch it like a hawk for disease and make sure I try and stay ahead of that.

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Derek] #9092069 08/15/24 07:26 AM
D
drag13honda Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I’m doing pre next weekend. Next 2-3 weeks is good. I like prodiamine. Stonewall 0-0-7 at Lowe’s. There are other versions of it. Including another Lesco Stonewall sold at Siteone another one called Barricade. Those are all granular. I spray it. You can split up your apps to overlap for better protection. It’s tough to do with granular because the six month rate of Lowe’s Stonewall is 2.5-3lbs per 1000. It would be tough to divide that in half and spread 1.5lbs evenly over 1000. If you’re spraying it, it’s much easier to divide apps out and apply every three months. You could get a lower % active ingredient granular where you need to spread a higher amount and that would be easier to spread evenly. Let me know what product you plan on using and ill calculate the amount to use and a base quarterly date target for you

Derek, I picked up Stonewall at Lowes, is it not granular? In the bag it seemed granular to me, but I haven't opened it yet. Can you detail (or link to it if you've discussed it in length before) what your procedure is for spraying it on the lawn? Seems like it would work better for application if sprayed on as opposed to spreading. Also, what are your recommendations after applying (do you still water it in, since it was applied as a spray)? And when would it be considered safe for pets if sprayed on?

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Tbar] #9092094 08/15/24 11:25 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Tbar
With good water and lots of heat and sun which grass is going to prevail in a lawn where they all reside?

San Augustine
Bermuda
Bahai

No experience with Bahai but lots with the other two. I was St Augustine man for the last 20 years until mine decided to not come back strong this year in many areas. For years the SA was taking over for the Burmuda each year a little at a time. Although my back yard is still SA, the rest is mostly Burmuda after ONE failed year. Burmuda is harder to take care of (mowing it makes it look uglier whereas mowing SA makes it look better). I have to mow higher and more often with Burmuda because it's so short term sensitive to scalping. The solution for me is to level the earth it grows on. That's for another time. I have never had an issue with disease with either type of grass. I am converted to Burmudagrass for my front yard and still like St Augustine for the back. I have two mowers so there's no issue switching the equipment back and forth. I'd like to ensure LESS of the SA comes back next spring (in the front) so maybe by 2028 I can have one kind of grass visible from the street as Burmudagrass and St Augustine are VERY different colors and textures.

Pass the gravy.

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: drag13honda] #9092147 08/15/24 01:10 PM
Derek Offline
Fert Squirter
Fert Squirter
Originally Posted by drag13honda

Derek, I picked up Stonewall at Lowes, is it not granular? In the bag it seemed granular to me, but I haven't opened it yet. Can you detail (or link to it if you've discussed it in length before) what your procedure is for spraying it on the lawn? Seems like it would work better for application if sprayed on as opposed to spreading. Also, what are your recommendations after applying (do you still water it in, since it was applied as a spray)? And when would it be considered safe for pets if sprayed on?

The Stonewall is a granular product you spread out and water in. If you want to spray it you'll need the sprayable one and a backpack sprayer. It's not a product you could put in a hose end sprayer.
https://www.solutionsstores.com/pro...VoS3UAR0XoSBtEAQYASABEgK1q_D_BwE#156=879

Page 41 of 42 1 2 39 40 41 42
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide