Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Binocular recommendation [Re: Sewer rat] #8112506 01/02/21 10:34 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I like what I’m reading about the Maven Binos. If I were gonna get a pair for hunting west Texas and spotting and studying game at 50-500 yds would my best bet be 10x50 or the 10x42? Or should I go 12x? I don’t have a spotting scope so looking for the best one for all around use.

Re: Binocular recommendation [Re: SapperTitan] #8114270 01/04/21 03:48 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by SapperTitan
I like what I’m reading about the Maven Binos. If I were gonna get a pair for hunting west Texas and spotting and studying game at 50-500 yds would my best bet be 10x50 or the 10x42? Or should I go 12x? I don’t have a spotting scope so looking for the best one for all around use.

I run 11x45. Pretty much best of both worlds between field of view and mag

I use to run then on a tripod mainly but recently switched to bipod shooting stocks with a quick connect bino harness pull out. Bog pod Top and bottom, with outdoorsman mini head

If you are truly glassing and stalking you will want bipod or tripod

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Binocular recommendation [Re: Sewer rat] #8118308 01/07/21 12:58 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Sapper, in that country I would think you would need a spotting scope. Of course you have no business killing another mule deer, so theres that....... Actually to anyone that think they want a spotting scope i would suggest considering getting a super zoom camera and it can take major long distance pics and serve as a spotter also. The Nikon p900, p950 and p1000 all zoom way farther than any spotting scope. They have a big view finder so you dont have to look with one eye. There ARE definite drawbacks if you are really a serious spot and stalker but its something to consider if you want a big zoom camera and a spotter and dont want to carry both.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Binocular recommendation [Re: freerange] #8120143 01/08/21 02:57 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by freerange
Sapper, in that country I would think you would need a spotting scope. Of course you have no business killing another mule deer, so theres that....... Actually to anyone that think they want a spotting scope i would suggest considering getting a super zoom camera and it can take major long distance pics and serve as a spotter also. The Nikon p900, p950 and p1000 all zoom way farther than any spotting scope. They have a big view finder so you dont have to look with one eye. There ARE definite drawbacks if you are really a serious spot and stalker but its something to consider if you want a big zoom camera and a spotter and dont want to carry both.

My canon powershot 65x optical zoom is good but doesn’t hold water to the Swaro STS 80 with iPhone/phone scope. Not even same planet. Now lower power the camera wins.

I only carry 80 Swaro with 60x when hunting from truck or utv

New iPhones and phoneskope work pretty well

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Binocular recommendation [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8120202 01/08/21 03:18 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

My canon powershot 65x optical zoom is good but doesn’t hold water to the Swaro STS 80 with iPhone/phone scope. Not even same planet. Now lower power the camera wins.

I will always yield to you on gear. The p1000 is 125 optical zoom with the big viewfinder(2"x3"?) I also gave myself some outs by saying there are drawbacks to the super zoom cams as spotters and i said IF IF IF you dont want to carry a cam AND a spotter you should at least consider the cameras. I also went the Iphone scope thing route but since photos are more important to me than the spotting I quit using. If I was a real big deal and hunted the mountains I would probably forego the big camera and use a spotter.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Binocular recommendation [Re: freerange] #8120246 01/08/21 03:47 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

I will always yield to you on gear. The p1000 is 125 optical zoom with the big viewfinder(2"x3"?) I also gave myself some outs by saying there are drawbacks to the super zoom cams as spotters and i said IF IF IF you dont want to carry a cam AND a spotter you should at least consider the cameras. I also went the Iphone scope thing route but since photos are more important to me than the spotting I quit using. If I was a real big deal and hunted the mountains I would probably forego the big camera and use a spotter.

Those are pretty high end and above my pay grade, I defer to STX on high end cameras. I will say in TX I always have my camera, out west it’s just more weight.

My little vortex 11-33x50 takes decent digicam photos but doesn’t touch big spotters.

I just try to advise against the redundancy in optics rabbit hole. No right or wrong really.

Re: Binocular recommendation [Re: freerange] #8121381 01/09/21 12:18 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S

I actually have a p900 I’ve used on occasion to get a better look at a deer. I also recorded that mule deer shot with it.

Re: Binocular recommendation [Re: Sewer rat] #8121648 01/09/21 02:51 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Sapper that’s good to know on the 900. I think your hunting buddy out there has a pretty good camera with probably a lot less zoom. I would be curious to know what both y’all have to say to how they compare(especially in that big country.)

Re: Binocular recommendation [Re: Sewer rat] #8121924 01/09/21 12:30 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
I bought a pair of these a couple weeks ago https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/vortex-diamondback-hd-binoculars-in-truetimber-strata and while at first I really liked them I just can’t see very well with them in low light. My eyesight isn’t the greatest but not horrible. I normally wear glasses but recently passed the vision test for my drivers license without them.

Using the binocs in the bright of day they seem ok but yesterday morning I was hunting with my son and it was 15 minutes past shooting time and we had three deer at the feeder 100 yards away, my son was hunting, and I was spotting. I couldn’t see them very well at all. They are 10x. Not sure if I need more magnification, better quality that grabs more light, or both.

Budget isn’t too much of a concern but I don’t want to just go buy the most expensive thing out there I just want something where I can see better when hunting with the kids.

There is a pair of older Zeiss 10x42's in the classifieds for $650. I and my son have had the same binocs for 25+ years. Excellent glass.

Last edited by snake oil; 01/09/21 12:30 PM.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Binocular recommendation [Re: snake oil] #8122249 01/09/21 05:56 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by snake oil
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
I bought a pair of these a couple weeks ago https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/vortex-diamondback-hd-binoculars-in-truetimber-strata and while at first I really liked them I just can’t see very well with them in low light. My eyesight isn’t the greatest but not horrible. I normally wear glasses but recently passed the vision test for my drivers license without them.

Using the binocs in the bright of day they seem ok but yesterday morning I was hunting with my son and it was 15 minutes past shooting time and we had three deer at the feeder 100 yards away, my son was hunting, and I was spotting. I couldn’t see them very well at all. They are 10x. Not sure if I need more magnification, better quality that grabs more light, or both.

Budget isn’t too much of a concern but I don’t want to just go buy the most expensive thing out there I just want something where I can see better when hunting with the kids.

There is a pair of older Zeiss 10x42's in the classifieds for $650. I and my son have had the same binocs for 25+ years. Excellent glass.

Hear ya, no need to have the latest and greatest necessarily. Although improvements in 'coatings' DO make a difference. More often than not....I just grab a pair of my old Pentax BINS, 8x42 DCF HRII or 8x56 DCR for 90% of what I do. They are fairly old school, but very good Japanese Glass.

[Linked Image]

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Binocular recommendation [Re: freerange] #8122774 01/10/21 02:20 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Sapper that’s good to know on the 900. I think your hunting buddy out there has a pretty good camera with probably a lot less zoom. I would be curious to know what both y’all have to say to how they compare(especially in that big country.)

PitchforkPredator uses a Canon SX60HS it’s a great camera but both his and mine struggle in low light conditions and neither has manual focus. Both take great pics at 200 yds with good light. The canon is quite a bit smaller but with less zoom so easier to carry.

Re: Binocular recommendation [Re: Sewer rat] #8122837 01/10/21 03:07 AM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I have a pair of 12x50 Vortex Diamondbacks and love them. I suspect what you use them for is relative to what you want to invest in. For sitting in a box blind, they serve me well. For those suggesting budget glasses should just be discontinued, perhaps you've lost some touch with the reality that not everyone can just go lay out a pile of money for them. I know guys that have spent $2,000+ on golf clubs and still can't break 100 on the golf course. Hahahaha

Re: Binocular recommendation [Re: Sewer rat] #8742828 11/26/22 06:51 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I went with the B.6 10x50s. So far I have no real problems with it. I’ve had little to no eye strain, glass is awesome, price is good for what you get, they are built very sturdy but not too bulky. The only thing I’ve notice is the objective eye cup turns a little too easy. Not really a big deal honestly but would be nice if it took a little more effort to twist so it doesn’t twist on accident.

Re: Binocular recommendation [Re: Sewer rat] #8742865 11/26/22 07:56 PM
H
Huntmaster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Each hunting situation requires a little bit different bino. In a dark blind, shooting 10 minutes before legal time, watching deer at 250 on a field, or at a shaded feeder 100 yards out— is a whole different ball game than a lightweight 10x42 quick, compact bino. Both have their place. But, when you’re trying to see if 2 big 10’s are different, both left brow tines curve to the left, but one curves at the top three inches. And you can rest the binos on the blind; go for the best you can afford. This totally excludes a lot of hunters on this topic. (No 600 yard shots at these deer) I am studying these: Meopta MeoStar B1 Plus 15x56 HD Roof Prism Binoculars vs. real costly brands. Their company is in the glass business.

Re: Binocular recommendation [Re: Sewer rat] #8743033 11/26/22 11:51 PM
4Weight Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Zeiss HD 10x42. Best I have ever owned.

Re: Binocular recommendation [Re: 4Weight] #8743056 11/27/22 12:25 AM
Superduty Offline
"The Regulator"
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by 4Weight

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Binocular recommendation [Re: Superduty] #8743064 11/27/22 12:36 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Superduty
Originally Posted by 4Weight

I just picked one of these up for 500 bucks NIB on FB Marketplace. Pretty nice glass, weight and size.

Re: Binocular recommendation [Re: Sewer rat] #8748380 12/03/22 01:43 AM
DustyArmadillo Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Bushnell has really stepped their game up. Try to look through a pair next time you're in the store.

Re: Binocular recommendation [Re: Sewer rat] #8748833 12/03/22 04:46 PM
H
howl Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
If you're just judging deer at a feeder use the scope on your rifle. This assumes you know they're deer before you point the gun at them.

10x is too much magnification to hold steady. 8x is the most. You can get an 8x that will work 45 min after sunset in the woods for less than $500 on sale and less than $1000 normally. The list of possibles get short when you start looking at eye relief suitable for eyeglasses and decent field of view; 20mm, 380'+.

All this discussion should tell you that you need to try for yourself. One way is to go to a big shop in the evening where they'll let you step outside. I've only ever been to one such shop. People tolerate far too much from sellers. The other way is to whip out the credit card and order your top three choices from an online retailer with free return shipping.

Optics Planet, though they are pretty much awful in every other way, will take a return that has been opened. When I want an optic for myself, I buy three and and compare them in the conditions I will use them. I know my stuff is going to work before I commit to buy it.

Re: Binocular recommendation [Re: Sewer rat] #8776389 01/08/23 06:38 PM
D
duffas Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
Gifted a Sig Zulu5 10x43 yesterday, nice, a bit heavy. Came with harness and chest pouch - no instructions on hooking it all up. Made in China but decent for my use. Better than the small Simmons I keep in range bag, smaller than the Bushnell variables I got years ago. Will work fine for taking on the ATV or in a stand.

Re: Binocular recommendation [Re: Sewer rat] #8778109 01/10/23 09:36 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
My 2 cents worth, I want my binos to be clear and bright out to the edges of the filed of view. When glassing I want to be able to pick out that antler tip in the edge of the view instead of having to run every inch of ground through the middle of the field of view. Saves a ton of time and eye strain.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide