Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Inherited guns [Re: Sewer rat] #8104243 12/27/20 01:16 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
As to the guns I am considering selling two of the three have never been shot and still have the tags on them.

If those two do not interest you, absolutely sell them. Use the money for something that does interest you. The proceeds for the new one are still from your dad. About the same as him selling his new rifles, and using the money to buy you something you want.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Inherited guns [Re: Sewer rat] #8104253 12/27/20 01:32 AM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
This is a tough question to answer. I have sold a few guns. I regret selling them, even though I purchased them for myself. I know I would really regret selling a firearm I inherited. However, as some people pointed out if you used the funds from the sale to purchase a new rifle you want you could view that as a gift from your father.

Re: Inherited guns [Re: Texican] #8104267 12/27/20 01:45 AM
S
Sewer rat Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Texican

I’d sit on them a bit longer before making any decision. Especially that you are now starting to get out hunting with your son, maybe he will want them as he gets more fond of hunting, etc.

Right now my son is using what was my Dad’s favorite and most used rifle. My son is a minimalist and huge saver. He thinks we should sell the ones we don’t want and buy mutual funds. He is 16 and works part time and invested over 10k this year.

Financially I am in no bind and could buy the new gun I want without blinking but I wouldn’t because I don’t like spending money unnecessarily. However in my mind it makes sense doing a trade of sorts to get a gun that is more desirable. I would never just sell the guns for cash to spend on something random.

Re: Inherited guns [Re: Sewer rat] #8104280 12/27/20 02:01 AM
L
leswad Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
I like your plan. Do you have kids that might be interested in the firearms you don’t want?

[Linked Image]

FJB
Re: Inherited guns [Re: Buzzsaw] #8104315 12/27/20 02:47 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
sell them

get something you want

i cant imagine your Dad disapproving

I agree

Re: Inherited guns [Re: Sewer rat] #8104330 12/27/20 03:17 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
He thinks we should sell the ones we don’t want and buy mutual funds. He is 16 and works part time and invested over 10k this year.

I'm out. Good luck Sir.

Re: Inherited guns [Re: Sewer rat] #8104332 12/27/20 03:21 AM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I would keep them or pass them to the next generation. Ultimately though, they are yours to do what you please with... once that stuff is gone, it’s gone....

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Inherited guns [Re: Sewer rat] #8104335 12/27/20 03:27 AM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Sorry about your dad. I think inherited guns should be shot and enjoyed. Since they are not something you have memories shooting with your dad, and you don’t think you will ever shoot them. I say sell them and use the proceeds to get something you will.

Last edited by Greg; 12/27/20 03:42 AM.
Re: Inherited guns [Re: Sewer rat] #8104338 12/27/20 03:34 AM
T
TAB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
I inherited a few rifles from my father. Some I remember from my childhood and will never let go but others he acquired later in life and I never saw them until I was cleaning out his safe after he passed. I am a pretty sentimental guy and in general am hanging on to everything that was his.

On to my dilemma. Some of these newer guns of his I never would conceivably shoot. He had a couple 300 win mags and I don’t like the recoil nor do I ever hunt anything big enough to need them. He also had several varmit calibers like 204, 22-250, etc and I can’t envision needing more than one of them.

I was thinking maybe sell three of these guns that I would never use and buy myself one really nice custom rifle that would be my go to deer rifle. On one hand selling some things I wouldn’t use to buy something I would seems pretty smart but I am worried I may regret it at some point down the road. Thoughts?

I found myself in this very same situation, and I kept what was important to me and sold the rest..
I have no regrets, however my dad and I both have always been traders with guns and that is most of the hobby.. it’s the journey so to speak..

Not knowing what could potentially bug ya down the road, might be best to hold off for a time and make sure you have the right mindset.

Sorry to hear you lost your dad, never a easy thing no matter how old or the circumstances.

Re: Inherited guns [Re: skinnerback] #8104356 12/27/20 03:54 AM
S
Sewer rat Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by skinnerback
He thinks we should sell the ones we don’t want and buy mutual funds. He is 16 and works part time and invested over 10k this year.

I'm out. Good luck Sir.

I hear you. My son was very close with my dad as he lived just down the road but dad died when he was ten so they don’t have a lot of hunting memories together and the guns and stuff don’t have a lot of meaning to him. I hope to change that in the coming years but what happens to dad’s and my collection when I croak is a valid concern. My son is very responsible and I can’t envision him doing something foolish with the guns but at least as of now he doesn’t cherish them like I do. I have taken him hunting four times in the past two weeks and plan to go a lot next week as well so hopefully that will change.

Re: Inherited guns [Re: Buzzsaw] #8104366 12/27/20 04:03 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
sell them

get something you want

Buzz is correct.

Re: Inherited guns [Re: Sewer rat] #8104373 12/27/20 04:07 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I received 4 from my father. 1 was the first shotgun I ever fired. I kept that one, but the rest were ones he acquired later in life and we had no shared history so I sold those.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Inherited guns [Re: Sewer rat] #8104375 12/27/20 04:08 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

I'm out. Good luck Sir.

I hear you. My son was very close with my dad as he lived just down the road but dad died when he was ten so they don’t have a lot of hunting memories together and the guns and stuff don’t have a lot of meaning to him. I hope to change that in the coming years but what happens to dad’s and my collection when I croak is a valid concern. My son is very responsible and I can’t envision him doing something foolish with the guns but at least as of now he doesn’t cherish them like I do. I have taken him hunting four times in the past two weeks and plan to go a lot next week as well so hopefully that will change.

Keep on taking him hunting Dad, and to each their own Keep making those memories Sir. up

Re: Inherited guns [Re: patriot07] #8104384 12/27/20 04:17 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by patriot07
sell them

get something you want

Buzz is correct.

Yep, sell your family heirlooms and get something you want......

Then sell them...and sell them too....and sell them too....

and not make any memories with that rifle that can be passed down. The scratches & dents, the blood, all of the animals killed by numerous family members and friends with the same rifle mean nothing to some folks.

Re: Inherited guns [Re: Sewer rat] #8104387 12/27/20 04:21 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
My pops guns go from his safe to mine but I grew up hunting with some of those and I was probably the last one to fire a few of those guns. He has not bought many recently so I cannot honestly answer but I would sell those you never were in the field with him with and get a custom. Just my opinion and I am pretty sentimental from what my friends say.

[Linked Image]
Re: Inherited guns [Re: skinnerback] #8104389 12/27/20 04:23 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

and not make any memories with that rifle that can be passed down. The scratches & dents, the blood, all of the animals killed by numerous family members and friends with the same rifle mean nothing to some folks.

I wouldn’t get worked up over it, obviously we think about this stuff differently than they do. Maybe they didn’t have the same relationship with their dad, maybe they did but I’d sell everything I owned before I sold any gun my father owned.

Re: Inherited guns [Re: Sewer rat] #8104391 12/27/20 04:25 AM
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Sell those that don't trigger an emotion or feeling. Those things can't be fabricated. It's obvious you loved and respected your dad, not having a strong tie to a few of his guns doesn't mean otherwise.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Inherited guns [Re: skinnerback] #8104398 12/27/20 04:32 AM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by patriot07
sell them

get something you want

Buzz is correct.

I was only talking about the guns which the OP was asking about - the ones his dad got later, didn't use much, and had little to no sentimental value compared to the ones he bought earlier that had a lot of sentimental value.

My dad never took me hunting and I have little to no connection to him with guns. Golf is a much bigger connection between the two of us. But my granddad was a western-style cowboy who I idolized as a kid, and I'll never sell the guns I have that were his, even though none of the guns have any connection to shared experiences with me and him. If I was the OP and I had a handful of guns with lots of sentimental value and a handful of guns with none, I'd sell the ones with none and buy something you want, and keep the ones with lots of sentiment. That's all I was saying.

Re: Inherited guns [Re: Ol Thumper] #8104402 12/27/20 04:42 AM
S
Sewer rat Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper

I wouldn’t get worked up over it, obviously we think about this stuff differently than they do. Maybe they didn’t have the same relationship with their dad, maybe they did but I’d sell everything I owned before I sold any gun my father owned.

I get it I do. I would never sell a gun a remember dad using. I also have a gun that mom shot several elk with and a few guns that were my grandfather’s and I wouldn’t think of selling them. The guns I am considering letting go are ones that my dad acquired after I was an adult and that I never saw him use. Dad went to a lot of banquets - DU, elk foundation, NRA, etc. I think these “newer” guns he either won or bought at these events and as far as I know never shot them.

Re: Inherited guns [Re: Sewer rat] #8104406 12/27/20 04:49 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Do your research and price them accordingly Each gun must have a mission.

[Linked Image]
Re: Inherited guns [Re: Ol Thumper] #8104410 12/27/20 05:05 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper

I'm not worked up over it Sir, to each their own and I agree with you.

I hunt and make memories with my rifles, and can't imagine selling them all the time like some on here.

Some folks make memories, others make profits.

Whatever floats your boat. up

Re: Inherited guns [Re: Sewer rat] #8104411 12/27/20 05:07 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
If someone handed a rifle down to me I would not let it go for all the gold in Fort Knox. Keep them in the family and pass them down.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Inherited guns [Re: Sewer rat] #8104419 12/27/20 05:38 AM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
Mixed emotions here. scratch

If a gun is an heirloom passed down over time across generations, then no, they shouldn’t leave the family. Period. I actually bought an ”heirloom” gun from a guy on this forum hoping that some day he sees the error he made and asks to buy it back. Until them it’s a wall hanger in my office.

On the other hand, I did inherit about a dozen guns from my wife’s dad that I sold most of and put the money to better use. ( I did so with his blessing.) Frankly, all but 3 were junk, and I didn’t want them taking up what little safe room I have.

Bottom line, I’m a bit like 2Beez. In my safe each gun has a job, or some significant family history.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Inherited guns [Re: 10 Gauge] #8104422 12/27/20 05:49 AM
S
Sewer rat Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
If someone handed a rifle down to me I would not let it go for all the gold in Fort Knox. Keep them in the family and pass them down.

What if you inherited fifty guns and some of them were of no significance to either you or the person who passed them down?

I would rather lose my left nut than some of the guns I got from dad but others really don’t mean much to me.

Re: Inherited guns [Re: Sewer rat] #8104425 12/27/20 06:06 AM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
To me an “heirloom” is something that means something and has value to you. A never fired rifle with the tags still on it that I never knew about holds very little value to me. Especially if it’s something I would never shoot and have no need for.

You should do what ever makes you happy.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide