QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
I don't kill yearling deer.......

This^^^^^ but photo is of two year old.

Why do you say that deer is a two-year old? Given it's December, he shows absolutely no sign of rutting. Neck is very slender, as is body. Rack is extremely spindly, no indication of mass; yearlings frequently lack dogcatchers, as this one does. Yes, his head appears to be a little bigger than usual but that could be the angle. Most every indication suggests this deer is 1.5 years old.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: freerange] #8093457 12/17/20 09:28 PM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by bphillips
Originally Posted by redchevy
Several years ago we shot a bunch of spikes. I feel like it affected the number of mature bucks we were seeing a decent amount, so we quit and seem to see more bucks now. I do shoot older spikes if i can. I have killed 2 that were at least 2 years old best we can tell comparing size to others, weight and teeth.

My definition of a spike is two unbranched antlers. if he has a fork he is no longer a spike to me.

Anyone who makes a habit of shooting spikes will see the same thing. 99.99% of them are just very young deer. There is no reason to shoot any of them

Red and bp Im right with you on this(sprigsss, stompy, Quit and Pitch too). However there will be many others that will disagree. In certain situations it may be the thing to do(STx will tell us) but for the vast majority of situations I agree with yall.

I will sometimes give an opinion but won’t argue with any of them over it. The deer we take are proof that our strategy works and that all that matters to me.

[Linked Image]
Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: TLew] #8093526 12/17/20 10:28 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
popcorn

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: TLew] #8093574 12/17/20 11:05 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
No

Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: TLew] #8093679 12/18/20 12:35 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
An old spike, yes

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: TLew] #8093703 12/18/20 12:52 AM
Texas452 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
The op’s picture I would cull or any long horn spikes
The short spikes/small deer we let walk
To each his own

Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: TLew] #8093713 12/18/20 01:04 AM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I still have not shot the 3 point that said I’d shoot. Plenty of chances, but I can tell that he’s very young. Last time I saw him, I just couldn’t do it.

Many years ago I shot a spike that was really old. Twisted spikes, gray muzzle, and few teeth. I know we ate him, but don’t remember if he was particularly edible.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: TLew] #8093720 12/18/20 01:06 AM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Any yearling (1.5) spike or little 4 gets a pass. If a deer appears to be 2 or even 3 years old and isn't an 8, it is not making it out of the yard. You might mis-judge a few, but by and large, you're doing yourself and your herd a favor,

Beer and whiskey, 'cause you can't drink bacon!!
Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: TLew] #8093773 12/18/20 01:52 AM
B
Big8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
If I have a good representation of 1.5 year old deer I don’t hesitate to take a spike, haven’t shot one this year but may this weekend depending on my FIL and what he does.

Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: TLew] #8094015 12/18/20 07:24 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I don’t see the point unless you’re doing some intensive management and have plenty of tags to do so.

Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: TLew] #8094151 12/18/20 01:49 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
We have too manage spikes, does, doe fawns, and bucks that fall behind. Sure we may take a few that have potential but the ones that are about to peak are the better for it. It's just good for the land and feed bill. We took employees and friends hunting this year to harvest at least 40 deer. Some got spikes, some got does, doe fawns and a few got over the hill deer. All part of the plan. Everybody had a good time and took venison home. Now the rut is on and with less does to chase the big boys should show themselves so we know what to plan for for next year.

Different age classes of bucks. I can take a mature one each year if they don't run off and hopefully one turns into a giant.
[Linked Image]

Which would you shoot? Nothing wrong with shooting spikes. All these were born around the same time, one is a runt and one has multiple points.
[Linked Image]

Too many deer on this corned road with more at the feeder and some down the road behind me.
[Linked Image]

He will be 6 next year and prime for the harvest.
[Linked Image]

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: hook_n_line] #8094179 12/18/20 02:05 PM
T
TLew Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
To follow up on my opening post, I personally wouldn't shoot the deer I put a picture up of. I want to see a 3 year old deer before it gets shot, and if it doesn't show good qualities (tine length, number of points, etc.) then it will be taken out.

I posted this because I like to hear opinions and what others do. I'm very appreciative of some of the posts that folks have put up because they show just how different situations can be that produce different management plans. This would be a prime example:

Originally Posted by hook_n_line
Too many deer on this corned road with more at the feeder and some down the road behind me.
[Linked Image]

I won't ever see that many deer in one spot where we hunt in central north Texas, so my management plan can't be like hooks.

Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: Sneaky] #8094206 12/18/20 02:24 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Sneaky
I don’t see the point unless you’re doing some intensive management and have plenty of tags to do so.

That’s it in a nut shell, it’s level 9 of a 10level program. 8 other levels etc that need to be addressed first, but it’s easier to justify shooting a spike in most minds as management, regardless of the actual outcome of it.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: TLew] #8094208 12/18/20 02:26 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
TLew, that’s the crux of it. IT DEPENDS. Too many variables and for the vast majority of hunters the answer should be like you and me, and most others on here, NO.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: TLew] #8094209 12/18/20 02:26 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
If your overrun with deer it seems like the best plan would be to take does. Out of the 10 or so deer a year we kill on our place i like for the majority of them to be does.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: TLew] #8094242 12/18/20 02:55 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
If you are at carrying capacity or above it then you have to manage the numbers. For example if you have a 45% fawn crop this....those new mouths are all above carrying capacity. You would want to take off the same number of 1.5yr or older deer to keep you at carrying capacity. You would want pull the bottom off of every age class of bucks if you are at your desired ratio. The younger your doe herd is the better off you are IMO. There are always more deer in the younger age classes than in the older age classes.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8094243 12/18/20 02:56 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

That’s it in a nut shell, it’s level 9 of a 10level program. 8 other levels etc that need to be addressed first, but it’s easier to justify shooting a spike in most minds as management, regardless of the actual outcome of it.

pot meet kettle you old spike killer...you been in the closet to long roflmao

Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: TLew] #8094251 12/18/20 03:04 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Yes, if the spikes are roughly four inches in length or greater.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: TLew] #8094267 12/18/20 03:21 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I will continue shooting them...no matter who it irritates rifle rifle

Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: stxranchman] #8094284 12/18/20 03:34 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by stxranchman

Definitely does not irritate me. Seems like the thing to do for some folks in some situations, just not the thing to do for everyone in every situation.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: freerange] #8094288 12/18/20 03:36 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B

Definitely does not irritate me. Seems like the thing to do for some folks in some situations, just not the thing to do for everyone in every situation.

me neither

Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: freerange] #8094295 12/18/20 03:45 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
TLew, that’s the crux of it. IT DEPENDS. Too many variables and for the vast majority of hunters the answer should be like you and me, and most others on here, NO.

It really does depend. If I hunted an area that had low deer density or a bad buck/doe ratio, I would never shoot a spike except for humane reasons.

We're in an AR county and have very high density. If I let a spike pass, I can't shoot him for 2-3 years until he gets to 13". At that point I have to choose whether to cull a low-end younger 13" buck or only shoot a mature trophy buck. So I let 2020's spike become 2022's problem. With a spike tag, I can take a mature deer this year (if I find one) AND eliminate a buck that is already at the low end of his 1.5yr old class. This is not wanton, I don't shoot the first spike I see. I hunt many times, use game cameras, and find likely deer to remove. I judge them against each other and against the other 1.5 yr-old bucks. If the numbers don't dictate availability, they get a pass. I've also hunted enough (40+ years) and witnessed enough deer, as well as thousands of goats and sheep, be born and raised. Lower-end animals that are stunted due to illness, death of their mother, or questionable genetics almost NEVER catch up to their peers, and if they do, you are usually waiting an extra year or more for them to do so. I'm not going to invest in a loser any longer than I have to.

Now, does this matter on 600 acres, when my neighbor on 240 acres has already killed three bucks this year? Arguably not. But just because my neighbor won't do the right thing doesn't mean that I shouldn't either. If I wasn't following our plan, two of those bucks wouldn't have been there to begin with.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: stxranchman] #8094302 12/18/20 03:49 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

pot meet kettle you old spike killer...you been in the closet to long roflmao

Every saint has a past and every sinner a future...

Still time to take the right path
grin

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: stxranchman] #8094335 12/18/20 04:17 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
If you are at carrying capacity or above it then you have to manage the numbers. For example if you have a 45% fawn crop this....those new mouths are all above carrying capacity. You would want to take off the same number of 1.5yr or older deer to keep you at carrying capacity. You would want pull the bottom off of every age class of bucks if you are at your desired ratio. The younger your doe herd is the better off you are IMO. There are always more deer in the younger age classes than in the older age classes.

up

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Do you cull yearling spikes? [Re: TLew] #8094591 12/18/20 09:00 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I don’t shoot them. I don’t get bent out of shape if some do. If I were shooting them though I would target the shortest spikes since they have the least amount of bone on their head. A quick story about what changed my mind:
We had a Snow White yearling spike. He was the only white deer on the 13,000 acre place any of us were aware of. We thought he was cool and all agreed not to kill him. At 6.5 years of age he was a 20 1/2” wide main frame 10 pt that scored in the mid 160’s. That told me you just don’t know till you know. We cull the really bad ones at three but most are given till four. We have strong age classes and a strong track record for producing more big deer on a per acre basis than almost all low fence properties in our region.

To the OP’s question: I judge the posted buck to be 1.5 years old. I would not shoot him unless he is much smaller than your average yearling. Ultimately it is your call. A trend we have seen with young bucks where I hunt is those that produce larger than average bodies early often also produce smaller antlers as a result of more bone going into growing a larger skeletal frame. Some but not all of these bucks really start to bloom at age 4. No way to know which ones it will be till it happens. Culling spikes is playing a game of odds. You will take out more that don’t have the genetics to get big but you will also kill some that have the potential to get to trophy size. Where I hunt it translates to culling a lot of 4 year old 8’s that top out in the 120’s and 130’s and they are a lot more fun to shoot than spikes. It depends on how much patience you and your group of hunters have. Deer are like people. Some are early bloomers and some are late bloomers. If you kill all the spikes, you only leave the early bloomers to hunt as mature deer. If you have enough trophy deer that you are not worried about killing some of the deer that will get big without knowing it then shoot them. If you want to identify all of them, cull at 4.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide