Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: hunting the Brazos river [Re: aerangis] #8082057 12/09/20 12:21 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by aerangis
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I would encourage the OP to throw himself fully into reading the laws, knowing the terminology and being certain where you are at all times. I would have missed out on some great hunts and really good deer if I had not done this myself.

Good advice right there.

Something to keep in mind is even IF you can hunt, the risk of getting charged with the offense of Trespass by Projectile is enormous. It stands to reason that a GW would cite someone for the offense if the opportunity presented itself, and most GW's aren't known to be forgiving or magnanimous when dealing with the public. Their propensity for issuing citations with nothing more than circumstantial evidence places the burden on the defendant and that burden can be expensive.

You're right. But, getting a ticket doesn't make you guilty. Trespass by Projectile happens all the time on leases but doesn't get written often. Reckless hunters on a public river would likely see the citation in the absence of anything else a GW could write you for. As they say you may beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride. Trespass by projectile seems to be easy to beat if you're actually innocent of it, but who wants the hassle of going to court over it?

Be right, know where you are, study the definitions (gradient boundary), know the local game warden, tell him when you're going in case you need him, have good intentions.......minimize your hassle factor.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: hunting the Brazos river [Re: Brandonreas11] #8082123 12/09/20 01:36 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
These came off a lease with Brazos river frontage. It's been some years ago.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: hunting the Brazos river [Re: Daddybigbuck] #8082151 12/09/20 01:50 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Daddybigbuck
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted by huntwest
Not all rural public land is legal to hunt on. Many think it is OK but it is still illegal.

That’s a fact and knowing this river like I do it would be very difficult to keep your bullets from leaving the river onto private on both sides......

We have Brazos River frontage and I agree with Pitchfork Predator... I see where guys hunt the river in our area but I don't know how its done or how successful they are.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice pics

Re: hunting the Brazos river [Re: Brandonreas11] #8082251 12/09/20 02:56 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
My earliest memories are being on our lease we called Brazos Bend. They had it 20 years. I grew up on it, and we lost it when I was 21 years old and had been a paying member since I was 17. Dad started taking me when I was five in 1967 and the season I turned 17 and had a job and saved enough $ to pay my dues and be a member was something special. This place was huge, and had the Brazos on three sides. A huge wheat field near the river. I remember seeing 90% does, and a few small bucks, zero turkeys and we didn't know what a wild hog was. We fished, dove hunted, deer hunted, shot coyotes, built a cabin, learned to drive, shoot, drink, cook and towards the end turkeys showed up and we hunted them. Saddest day of my life was when the rancher turned his operation over to his son in and law and we were out. Out of Graham, at Bunger make a left turn and drive to our gate about 7 miles down that gravel county road. Our lease went all the way to the river. People hunted the river, but there was nothing we could do about it. It wasn't often, but it happened. I wish I knew 1/2 then of what I know now about hunting. I would have killed a monster every year. That was a special place.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: hunting the Brazos river [Re: Brandonreas11] #8082277 12/09/20 03:12 PM
C
Chaseh Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Which area of the brazos are you planning on hunting? I think this is a fairly important question.

Feel free to PM me. I'm an airboater and hunter and have navigated quite a bit of the brazos from south of PK through Waco area and down towards the coast. In most areas, we have high banks and bluffs and if you trespassed by projectile, it was because you are being a dum-bass. It also helps to know and ask the local game wardens. Quite a few have hunted with us, and know what and where we hunt - with out issues I should add!

Re: hunting the Brazos river [Re: Brandonreas11] #8086786 12/12/20 07:30 PM
C
CatchinBass Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
Looks like fun

Re: hunting the Brazos river [Re: Brandonreas11] #8087094 12/13/20 12:24 AM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Even if you shoot one in the river bed it's probably gonna run onto private land to die. Then when you go to track it you'll be trespassing. Doesn't sound like an appealing proposition to me.

Re: hunting the Brazos river [Re: Brandonreas11] #8090746 12/15/20 08:39 PM
S
Schpanky Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Hunted a lease with Brazos river frontage for years. Every year the river hunters dominated opening and Thanksgiving weekends....we would not go near other than to check for trespassers...waste of time hunting with so much traffic. The game warden would come watch the river bottoms from one of our blinds so we got to know him pretty well. During the time we had this lease, we did not see anything other than does and a bunch of hogs taken by river hunters.

Having said that, I saw my largest buck to date in the Brazos river bottoms and once all of the locals went home, we hunted the river bottoms along our lease. Most of the big deer killed were not in the river bottoms but on the banks which would present a problem for a river hunter. Could you take a nice buck in the river bed?....yes.....is it likely?....no (unless you know where they're crossing... whistle

Re: hunting the Brazos river [Re: Chaseh] #8090748 12/15/20 08:42 PM
S
Schpanky Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Chaseh
Which area of the brazos are you planning on hunting? I think this is a fairly important question.

Feel free to PM me. I'm an airboater and hunter and have navigated quite a bit of the brazos from south of PK through Waco area and down towards the coast. In most areas, we have high banks and bluffs and if you trespassed by projectile, it was because you are being a dum-bass. It also helps to know and ask the local game wardens. Quite a few have hunted with us, and know what and where we hunt - with out issues I should add!

You've probably passed by me many times over the years...I do a lot of kayak fishing below Whitney...always wanted to ride and/or drive one of those airboats....looks like a blast

Re: hunting the Brazos river [Re: Brandonreas11] #8099760 12/22/20 09:49 PM
J
Jsarmory Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Good area if you know where you and what you're doing. As others have mentioned, be careful!

Re: hunting the Brazos river [Re: Schpanky] #8102300 12/24/20 08:32 PM
C
Chaseh Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Originally Posted by Schpanky
Originally Posted by Chaseh

You've probably passed by me many times over the years...I do a lot of kayak fishing below Whitney...always wanted to ride and/or drive one of those airboats....looks like a blast

Big green air ranger, winter time I usually wear a motorcycle helmet. Flag me down next time! They are a hoot for sure

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide