Forums46
Topics543,235
Posts9,796,044
Members87,448
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: Guy] #8073584 12/03/20 12:17 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Cool
Australia or Austria?

Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: huntwest] #8073642 12/03/20 12:50 AM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by huntwest
Cool
Australia or Austria?

Both. I did a ski season in Australia, and another in Austria. The first set of pic I posted is Australia, second set of pics was Austria. I didn't explain where I was in Australia, it was Perisher Valley. Definitely different skiing through eucalyptus trees. The Australia pics I posted was Smiggin Hole, bottom right of map below. I worked the lifts there and the pics are from the top snow cornice there at the peak, you had to hike to it.

[Linked Image]

Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: Guy] #8074336 12/03/20 03:55 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
You going to try and grow your hair out again wink

Seriously, have a great trip Guy...enjoy the trip!

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: Guy] #8077795 12/06/20 01:12 AM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Today was my first hunt of the season. It sucked, and from what I heard from the guys I hunted with today, I didn’t miss much the first split.

I enjoy skiing. It’s a lot of fun.

Do you need someone to run your boat this season while you’re on the slopes? banana

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: Duck_Hunter] #8078768 12/06/20 11:07 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

Do you need someone to run your boat this season while you’re on the slopes? banana

Well I got 2, the gatortrax and the momarsh. And I have to say, the thought of selling one has crossed my mind, and buying a bass boat/fishing boat/v-hull/maybe camo/outboard. I really struggle which one I would sell, lol. The logical/pragmatic side of me says keep the gatortrax, the emotional/adventurous side says keep the momarsh.

But when I'm really mad at them, it is nice to have 2 boats for backup. The biggest duck itch I have had so far this season is to hit some old walk-in spots I have not hunted in years. There is a lot to like about walkin hunting, especially when you got good spots that boats can't get to...use it to your advantage. Set-up and go is so simple, and great way to stay in shape.

Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: Guy] #8079683 12/07/20 06:04 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
"All my rowdy friends have quite duck hunting , and they seem to be more in to hitting the slopes........nobody wants get up at 2:30, everybody just wants to sleep on in.
I myself have seen my bluebird days, and I have seen my friends in the back of the hole...and I need to find me Guy who still wants to go....but nobody wants to get out and blow that call....and all my rowdy friends have settled down. And I think I know what that Guy meant when he sold his ole duck rig....and MoHunter still out there shooting drake pintail sprigs, and ducknbass still at the ramp fixing his brokendown chit.....

Still miss it?

Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: Guy] #8079873 12/07/20 08:00 PM
B
bassfishinglawyer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by aerangis

Skiing is fun if you're young. Old farts end up in the emergency room. Ask Sonny Bono how his last ski trip turned out.

No, not me, I know how to ski, and I ski under control all the time, I do not wreck. Sonny hit a tree at high speed, no helmet. I think of it in terms of throttle. Say scale 1 to 10, full throttle is 10. I say 7 you are starting to gas it, 8 to 9 you are really pushing it and wreck is very likely. I normally ski 5 max, that is half throttle. The clip below is me coming down the hill my daughter videoed it, this is NM Red River "The Face" March this year, it is black, it is step, but it is groomed.

This is a pic from the top of The Face.

[Linked Image]

She took the easy way down, then got a video of me coming down the The Face, I'm on the left side of the run. I'm going a 2 or 3 here, it was last run of day I was pretty tired. And I had not been skiing since 2003.

This is my daughter, her first time skiing, day 3, pretty steep blue run. She is probably going about a 6 or 7, and all most takes spill at the end, especially when I start stoking her.. roflmao

Girls always ski under control, guys over do it. Nearly all ski accidents are men. My son would not ski with us, he was going full throttle all the time, wrecking all the time too, and not listening to me.

Snow skiing, when keeping at half throttle, way safer than duck hunting, headed across the lake dark 30 in the morning in sub freezing temps, wreck and you probably die.

The Face is not bad UNLESS it gets icy (which it does a lot) - then you just slide down sideways. I love that last area you sent the video of - like heading to the right and going through the trees smile - Never seems to be a line at that lift.

I don't ski a ton but love doing it. I skied Sapporo, Japan ('72 Winter Olympics were held there) in 1986 - neat to do something different, but I prefer smaller places like Red River.

Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: BDB] #8080168 12/07/20 11:15 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BDB
"All my rowdy friends have quite duck hunting , and they seem to be more in to hitting the slopes........nobody wants get up at 2:30, everybody just wants to sleep on in.
I myself have seen my bluebird days, and I have seen my friends in the back of the hole...and I need to find me Guy who still wants to go....but nobody wants to get out and blow that call....and all my rowdy friends have settled down. And I think I know what that Guy meant when he sold his ole duck rig....and MoHunter still out there shooting drake pintail sprigs, and ducknbass still at the ramp fixing his brokendown chit.....

Still miss it?

Ha ha! I must admit, one thing I love about snow skiing is not having to get up a dark 30. Lifts open at 9am, so sleep in, easy into the morning with coffee, big breakfast, watch the sun rise over the mountains, ski all day, lifts close at 4pm, plenty of time to unwind, pour a whisky, start the BBQ, watch the sun set, pour another whisky and not have to worry about getting up at dark 30.

Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: bassfishinglawyer] #8080228 12/07/20 11:57 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer

The Face is not bad UNLESS it gets icy (which it does a lot) - then you just slide down sideways. I love that last area you sent the video of - like heading to the right and going through the trees smile - Never seems to be a line at that lift.

I don't ski a ton but love doing it. I skied Sapporo, Japan ('72 Winter Olympics were held there) in 1986 - neat to do something different, but I prefer smaller places like Red River.

The Face gets icy because it is steep, and many rookies ski it and "slide", that makes it icy. But best lines to take is off to the side, like the line I took, everyone goes down the middle. This was my first trip to RR, great spot, love it. If I went solo, I would ski that Platinum lift all day, and the run below in red. The top is black, bottom is black (The Face), groomer all the way down very nice. We stayed at Best Western, right there by the lift I circle it in red.

[Linked Image]

Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: jnd59] #8081739 12/09/20 12:45 AM
G
Greekangler Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted by jnd59
I've never hunted/scouted more and had fewer birds to show for it. I need to change up my scouting routine. It's not working this year. I haven't skied in nearly forty years. I do miss it sometimes but I agree with others. You need to see a doctor. I'm sure there's a pill or shot for that. Thorazene or some such concoction smile

Originally Posted by jnd59
I've never hunted/scouted more and had fewer birds to show for it. I need to change up my scouting routine. It's not working this year. I haven't skied in nearly forty years. I do miss it sometimes but I agree with others. You need to see a doctor. I'm sure there's a pill or shot for that. Thorazene or some such concoction smile

Sht happens. Half the birds, it’s called hunting migratory birds. I have shot limits 5-6 hunts, with my guests faring 1/2 as well on average. As you get older, you just soak in the sun, your fellow companions and four legged friends, and count your blessings.

[Linked Image]
Take a kid Huntin
Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: Guy] #8082157 12/09/20 01:54 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by aerangis

Skiing is fun if you're young. Old farts end up in the emergency room. Ask Sonny Bono how his last ski trip turned out.

No, not me, I know how to ski, and I ski under control all the time, I do not wreck. Sonny hit a tree at high speed, no helmet. I think of it in terms of throttle. Say scale 1 to 10, full throttle is 10. I say 7 you are starting to gas it, 8 to 9 you are really pushing it and wreck is very likely. I normally ski 5 max, that is half throttle. The clip below is me coming down the hill my daughter videoed it, this is NM Red River "The Face" March this year, it is black, it is step, but it is groomed.

This is a pic from the top of The Face.

[Linked Image]

She took the easy way down, then got a video of me coming down the The Face, I'm on the left side of the run. I'm going a 2 or 3 here, it was last run of day I was pretty tired. And I had not been skiing since 2003.

This is my daughter, her first time skiing, day 3, pretty steep blue run. She is probably going about a 6 or 7, and all most takes spill at the end, especially when I start stoking her.. roflmao

Girls always ski under control, guys over do it. Nearly all ski accidents are men. My son would not ski with us, he was going full throttle all the time, wrecking all the time too, and not listening to me.

Snow skiing, when keeping at half throttle, way safer than duck hunting, headed across the lake dark 30 in the morning in sub freezing temps, wreck and you probably die.

Beautiful pics

Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: Guy] #8085328 12/11/20 05:24 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Did you pick up your snowboard & boots yet?

Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: ndhunter] #8085423 12/11/20 06:55 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by ndhunter

Not yet, real soon tho. Not getting snowboard, getting skis. Got my truck camper all rigged with propane heater, carbon monoxide sensor...

Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: Guy] #8085522 12/11/20 08:22 PM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted by Guy

Not yet, real soon tho. Not getting snowboard, getting skis. Got my truck camper all rigged with propane heater, carbon monoxide sensor...

Are you really driving and sleeping in your truck? I don't think they are as lenient on vagrancy in Colorado. Agree that you are too old to snowboard, my mistake.

Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: ndhunter] #8095785 12/19/20 09:12 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Guy

Are you really driving and sleeping in your truck?

Yes I been doing that for years and don't try and stop me!

Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: Guy] #8095786 12/19/20 09:13 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Day 1 Friday 12/11
Leave after work around 5:00pm...Home made sandwich for dinner on the road...

Day 2 Saturday 12/12
Get to Colorado Rest Area 2am...Catch a little shut eye...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And got this in case you are worried about my set-up...

[Linked Image]

Saturday morning, just me and the truckers, temps in the high teens, brew some hot coffee and hit the road to Denver to get my skis and fitted for boots...
[Linked Image]

Killing time in a Denver park eating lunch waiting in line to get fitted for my new ski boots...
[Linked Image]

Saturday afternoon, got my new skis and boots, headed to the mountains, stayed in motel Idaho Springs...

[Linked Image]

Dinner...my little webber rocks on this trip...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: Guy] #8095787 12/19/20 09:14 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Day 3 Sunday morning, my favorite breakfast, you know it, Huevos Rancheros...on my new compact camping single propane burner rig...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

4 degrees in the morning, but blue bird day, off to legendary A-Basin.

[Linked Image]

Only 2 left lefts were open, first pic is the Mountain Express the bottom lift, the other pics are off the Nenawee Mountain Lift..top lift..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My favorite run there far left, it was like a half pipe..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: Guy] #8095790 12/19/20 09:15 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
After skiing A-basin, headed to Winter Park got a ski-in ski-out condo at "Iron Horse Condominiums".

Sunday night, fried crappie with my home made tarter sauce, and oven cooked potatoes....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: Guy] #8095792 12/19/20 09:16 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Day 4 Monday...

Explorer lift....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lunch (H2O) on the Looking Glass lift.....

[Linked Image]

View off my condo balcony..

[Linked Image]

Monday night dinner...From Hirsch's Meats Plano Tx.

[Linked Image]

Salt and Pepper only...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

With twice baked potato....

[Linked Image]

Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: Guy] #8095793 12/19/20 09:17 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Day 5 Tuesday...

No ski pics, cold and snowing all day..Below are some pics of the condo, good spot I'll do this again...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Their coffee maker didn't work, good thing I brought my own....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: Guy] #8095794 12/19/20 09:18 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Tuesday Dinner, BBQ chicken wings and yellow squash...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: Guy] #8095797 12/19/20 09:19 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Day 6 Wednesday....

Explorer Lift...
[Linked Image]

Patrol station at top riding Explorer...

[Linked Image]

Pic of the top of the Gonadal, just got off Explorer...

[Linked Image]

The finally opened up the Mary Jane area.... This is the legendary Iron Horse lift...

[Linked Image]

No lines just how I like it...

[Linked Image]

Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: Guy] #8095799 12/19/20 09:19 PM
Guy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Bottom of Mary Jane Trail looking right on lift..

[Linked Image]

All pics below taken riding up the Iron Horse..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wednesday after skiing, started making the drive home. Drove till about 12AM, that put me at a rest stop in NM hyway 64, slept 6 hours and back on the road was home by 3:30pm Thursday. It was a great trip. Did not crash any which was my goal, because I got a messed up right shoulder, I'll be getting an MRI in about a week. I tweeked it early teal season throwing a decoy, I been trying to rehab it but it is getting worse I think. I'm not sure I'll could even shoot my gun. I shot all dove season with it messed up, but it is worse now I think.

Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: Guy] #8096251 12/20/20 02:51 AM
N
ndhunter Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Great pics. Great trip, looks like conditions were good.

Are there no Whataburger's up there?

You need a big [censored] fire extinguisher

Rotator cuff, rehab then surgery. Get it done as soon after the season as possible.

Re: Can you believe I didn't duck hunt first split... [Re: Guy] #8105921 12/28/20 08:44 PM
L
LSU Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
sweet trip and great pics Guy. I tore my ACL just looking at the original pics

"wack 'em, stack 'em, pack 'em
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide