Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Cull or no cull? [Re: Hudbone] #8064548 11/25/20 10:10 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I keep wanting to quote one of the prior posts cause so many of them are right on. Culling discussions require so much time I just dont have a lot right now so I will stay on the sidelines. Sapper, TxBuck, Bobo, redchevy and others all had great comments. STx we all know is the resident expert on most topics about deer and he is right on culling im sure but usually his comments are geared more towards intensively managed places and thats rarely the case for most of us. The best thread Ive seen on here was about culling and I think it was titled MANAGEMENT BUCKS I believe in all caps from last summer. Its well worth searching and rereading(many pages.)

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Cull or no cull? [Re: freerange] #8064577 11/25/20 10:27 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7872222/1

Ive never tried to copy paste a prior thread so im not sure if this will work. The link is a long thread from this past summer on culling. There is a ton of in depth discussion from all sides and I think it is excellent. There isnt as much agreeing as there is on this thread.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Cull or no cull? [Re: Hudbone] #8064597 11/25/20 10:41 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Hudbone
If genetics cannot be managed, just how were dog breeds developed? I wonder how the King Ranch was able to develop Santa Gertrudis cattle? If it wasn't by controlling breeding, then how was it? Btw, take out a buck and you are part of the management.

Not withstanding the domestic vs wild animal argument (there is none, it is completely apples to pineapples):

Controlled breeding is the main point. In a low fence small acreage (sub 1000 ac) there is absolutely NO control in the situation esp when it comes to rut and travel and which doe get bred by which buck, etc....no controlled breeding means we can't control genetics or try to manipulate genetics without considering and doing our best at controlling a lot of other variables. Again, talking about lf property, HF introduces a lot more control in the situation, add breeding pens and more control, etc.

So, for lf ranches to try to manipulate genetics, there needs to be extensive management of bucks in all age structures, doe in all age structures, ideally perfect nutrition and perfect habitat, perfect control of the shooter and perfect control of the biology of the herd (no diseases, no predation, no environmental stresses, etc, etc). There are ranches out there that after decades of work can get close to that, but most will not. It takes lots of tags, a prolonged hunting season (MLD) and lots of effort and time, not to mention money.

Re: Cull or no cull? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #8064598 11/25/20 10:43 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I will take the side of the minority. The trigger finger is the strongest management tool you have regarding low fence genetics. Not just pulling it but also staying off it. With a large enough piece of property, broad scale culling bucks from the bottom up, after bucks have enough age to express their genetic potential coupled with giving higher end deer extra breeding cycles targets 50 percent of the genetics. Over several generations, it is possible to see some progress. As the desirable bucks with high general combining abilities offspring exhibit the same traits and are also protected, increasing in frequency, passing their genes to both bucks and does. It amounts to watered down line breeding. The proof is in large low fence intensely managed places that annually kick out above average numbers of trophy bucks for their area. The commitment required to consistently maintain that type program long enough to bear fruit is more than most are willing to endure. It is also the places with long waiting lists for membership.
The inverse is also evident on properties that have been high graded for decades and produce a higher ratio of mature mediocre and inferior antlers for a given area.
Culling doe numbers to balance ratios and carrying capacity play a vital part in management but there is also no reliable way to target genetics in free ranging doe harvest.
Picking an area where the majority of bucks are harvested by age 2 for decades will up your odds of producing more trophy class animals considerably over time, considering the bucks were not given the age to express enough potential to be high graded for decades. The small clubs trying to impact genetics are spinning their wheel unless they can get buy in from enough of their neighbors to form a large coop of well managed tracts. (Almost impossible to pull off)
You can’t run from genetics.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 11/25/20 10:56 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Cull or no cull? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #8064616 11/25/20 10:54 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
No offense meant here smokey, but I don't think that is the minority opinion. I think we all agree low grading a herd on a large piece of property can be effective given enough time and effort....its that exact last part we all agree on as well, the time and effort. As you correctly put it out there, not many have the stomach for it nor the will to bring it to completion.

In my opinion, you spoke a majority opinion here, just in a different manner of speaking.

Re: Cull or no cull? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #8064628 11/25/20 11:01 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
None taken buckeye. Professionally my first job out of college was in genetic
R & D. Genetics are a numbers game. The more you skew the odds, the more frequently you hit. Or don’t hit...

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 11/25/20 11:04 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Cull or no cull? [Re: Texas buckeye] #8064633 11/25/20 11:03 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Once again, this discussion can become so involved and its so situation specific that I hesitate to take time to comment. Per the last couple posts, I believe that the more experienced and intelligent deer manager/hunters basically agree but say it in different ways. Its the guys that think that killing a single particular low end buck on a place without a great overall management plan will make any great impact if any at all are the ones I think are way off. There is NO shortcut or magic bullet to improving a deer herd.

Re: Cull or no cull? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #8064672 11/25/20 11:29 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Photo looks like he's in a barn at Christmas. confused2

If you gotta tag, shoot him.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Cull or no cull? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #8064715 11/25/20 11:48 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
If you are managing low fence and small acreage, let him go. I would spend more time with age and nutrition...

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Re: Cull or no cull? [Re: BLUERIBBONS] #8064860 11/26/20 01:53 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
You can either do the best you can or not. It's really your choice.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide