BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Originally Posted by redchevy
Originally Posted by wp75169
If you hit it hard enough to bend the bar on a SxS then I would definitely start at the bottom. I’m a big fan of EGW but they are aluminum.

Yeah, wondering how the aluminum scope tube held up after denting the presumably steel sxs component. My suspicion would be something other than the scope created that damage. Also with that amount of change, i would assume something is bent.

Could very well be a bent tube. I haven't had a chance to take it apart yet. It was definitely the scope that dented the cross bar, there's a perfect matching dent in both. The dent is right on the bell end of the scope cap. The gun was sitting in the back seat.....for reference here's the SxS....

[Linked Image]

Impressive the stock did not break in half. Wow!

Are the receiver screws possibly also bent?

What kind of rifle and stock is this? That is just amazing.

Jeff, I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that the gun probably wasn’t hit by the front of the SxS. I’m guessing it was inside and took a good smacking as this SxS experienced almost instant deceleration.

Re: Scope got whacked.... [Re: DocHorton] #8063960 11/25/20 02:15 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
The bell is dented? or the tube? or the cap? What cap? I say send it in to have it checked no matter what if its something you ever want to rely on again to be accurate.

Now.... if it was a nightforce would you have this problem... id love to know, but nobody probably ever will.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Scope got whacked.... [Re: redchevy] #8063996 11/25/20 02:50 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by redchevy
The bell is dented? or the tube? or the cap? What cap? I say send it in to have it checked no matter what if its something you ever want to rely on again to be accurate.

Now.... if it was a nightforce would you have this problem... id love to know, but nobody probably ever will.

Nobody will ever know like you said. I know when I had mine I treated it as if it were delicate. I’ve never owned a NF but have had many SS fixed power and 5-20s. They’re a hammer compared to the VX-6HD. It’s my understanding the NF is as durable or better than the SS.

Re: Scope got whacked.... [Re: DocHorton] #8067147 11/28/20 04:50 AM
D
DocHorton Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Little update, and to answer a few questions....

Suppressor was fine, no damage.

I took the scope off in the rings and noticed a dent on the bottom of the tube where it hit the one piece base during impact. But it must have rebounded because there was still a gap between the tube and the base. Ring screws were a little loose so I tightened everything up and remounted. The metal cap on the bell end was also dented. It did not look like the tube was bent. Gonna shoot again tomorrow to test it out and see if I can get it to zero.

The accident....I was checking game cams and pulled up and hopped out while leaving it running just like always. My son was with me, and normally he gets out. He turned around to face backwards, I guess to look at me, and then stood up and put his feet down. When he did he stepped on the gas pedal and didn’t realize what was happening since he was still facing backwards. He ran into a tree. Thank the Lord he wasn’t hurt. It was a very scary moment for both of us and both were pretty shook up afterwards. Stupid mistake on my part not turning off the buggy, but thankfully he was ok. It could have been very, very bad. I don’t even care about the SxS, it can be fixed, at least I think. It shoved the winch into the radiator and busted it, as well as caved in the bumper and bent up all sorts of stuff under the hood.
Just a reminder to all and to myself to never take anything for granted and always be extra safe and careful with little ones around.

I’ll update again once I shoot it....thanks again everyone for the help.

Re: Scope got whacked.... [Re: J.G.] #8067168 11/28/20 05:49 AM
M
Mike Honcho Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Take it apart, and verify everything is tight, particularly the base. You cannot tell if the base is loose with the scope on it.

Bire sight, then see if it will go back to zero. After that, I would be inclined to do somewhat of a box test with the knobs or turrets.

(If it's a Vortex scope, I'd just send it to them. It's probably broken inside)

Fireman is spot on.

“Two things that define an individual what you do when you have everything, and what you do when you have nothing."

Re: Scope got whacked.... [Re: DocHorton] #8067190 11/28/20 06:35 AM
P_102 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I’m confused....the gun hit the crossbar in front?

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Scope got whacked.... [Re: DocHorton] #8067205 11/28/20 11:09 AM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Little update, and to answer a few questions....

Suppressor was fine, no damage.

I took the scope off in the rings and noticed a dent on the bottom of the tube where it hit the one piece base during impact. But it must have rebounded because there was still a gap between the tube and the base. Ring screws were a little loose so I tightened everything up and remounted. The metal cap on the bell end was also dented. It did not look like the tube was bent. Gonna shoot again tomorrow to test it out and see if I can get it to zero.

The accident....I was checking game cams and pulled up and hopped out while leaving it running just like always. My son was with me, and normally he gets out. He turned around to face backwards, I guess to look at me, and then stood up and put his feet down. When he did he stepped on the gas pedal and didn’t realize what was happening since he was still facing backwards. He ran into a tree. Thank the Lord he wasn’t hurt. It was a very scary moment for both of us and both were pretty shook up afterwards. Stupid mistake on my part not turning off the buggy, but thankfully he was ok. It could have been very, very bad. I don’t even care about the SxS, it can be fixed, at least I think. It shoved the winch into the radiator and busted it, as well as caved in the bumper and bent up all sorts of stuff under the hood.
Just a reminder to all and to myself to never take anything for granted and always be extra safe and careful with little ones around.

I’ll update again once I shoot it....thanks again everyone for the help.

Man, sounds like God was on your side that day. Similar thing happened to my cousin. She got off her SxS to open a gate and her son turned around to watch her and stepped on the gas. She was in reverse and got pinned between the gate and her SxS with the receiver hitch impaled in her calf. She would have bled out if the neighbor wasn't outside and heard what was going on. From then on I always cut mine off when the kids are with me and I get out.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Scope got whacked.... [Re: DocHorton] #8067235 11/28/20 01:06 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Sorry about the event, but glad it wasn't worse. We've all had close calls, and count them as blessings and lessons learned cheaply that could have otherwise been tragic. Learn, shake it off.

Post up on the scope performance. A lot can be learned from incidents like this.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Scope got whacked.... [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8067392 11/28/20 03:35 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Post up on the scope performance. A lot can be learned from incidents like this.

Agreed. You have to dig fairly deep to uncover the details on how manufacturers design and build their scopes so you can decide for yourself which ones will take a beating and keep on ticking.

Based on what little I have been able to learn about scope design, a severe shift in the POI after the scope taking a hit is due to a shift in the screen-loaded mechanism that some scopes use in their design. It would seem some type of loading or pressure on the mechanism that controls the position of the scope's reticle is needed to secure it in a set position. I could see where a severe hit that's stronger than the pressure being exerted by the springs would cause a shift in the setting. Of course, better scopes have a better and stronger spring mechanism.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 11/28/20 03:36 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Scope got whacked.... [Re: DocHorton] #8067634 11/28/20 07:00 PM
D
DocHorton Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Well, looks like I’m gonna have to send it in. I couldn’t get the scope to zero. Got it about 2” high and 2” left and then adjusted and it wasn’t on paper again. Also, the trigger is acting funny. One light primer strike and one discharge when I jacked a shell into the chamber. Finger was not on the trigger and it was on fire.

Guess I’ll take it all apart, replace the trigger, send the scope in, replace the base and rings, and maybe even drop it off at APR to have them look at it.

It was a lot of force when it slammed into the bar in the back seat as you can tell by the damage to the front end. I’m disappointed, but mostly I am thankful my son wasn’t hurt.

Re: Scope got whacked.... [Re: TexFlip] #8067635 11/28/20 07:02 PM
D
DocHorton Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by TexFlip

Man, sounds like God was on your side that day. Similar thing happened to my cousin. She got off her SxS to open a gate and her son turned around to watch her and stepped on the gas. She was in reverse and got pinned between the gate and her SxS with the receiver hitch impaled in her calf. She would have bled out if the neighbor wasn't outside and heard what was going on. From then on I always cut mine off when the kids are with me and I get out.

Wow, that’s terrible. Yes, God was looking out for him for sure.

Re: Scope got whacked.... [Re: DocHorton] #8069481 11/30/20 04:39 AM
C
cxjcherokec Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Doc, depending on where you are, I'm all over dfw and my office is by APR. If you need help getting it there, holler at me

Re: Scope got whacked.... [Re: DocHorton] #8069622 11/30/20 12:46 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Had an accident in my SxS and my scope got whacked really, really hard.

Why did you do this?

Re: Scope got whacked.... [Re: DocHorton] #8137098 01/21/21 12:54 AM
D
DocHorton Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Update on this thread....finally got around to dismounting my scope and sent it off to Leupold today. Will update with details once I get it back. Also, I threw away the base and rings and will get new ones to remount since I did not have confidence they weren't damaged in a way I couldn't see.

Re: Scope got whacked.... [Re: DocHorton] #8137225 01/21/21 02:23 AM
Gumbeaux Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Good call. Ammo is so expensive these days I wouldn't have even tested it, just sent it back.

[Linked Image]
Re: Scope got whacked.... [Re: DocHorton] #8137565 01/21/21 12:51 PM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Thank God your son wasn't hurt. Everything else is replaceable.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Scope got whacked.... [Re: bobcat1] #8138136 01/21/21 08:39 PM
D
DocHorton Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by bobcat1

Thank you.

The cost to fix the Ranger was around $5600...luckily I only had to pay my $250 deductible and insurance covered the rest. I'll throw my plug in for Cody at Farm Bureau (Varmintslayer on here)...super easy to work with and made the repair process a piece of cake.

Re: Scope got whacked.... [Re: DocHorton] #8138144 01/21/21 08:50 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by bobcat1

Thank you.

The cost to fix the Ranger was around $5600...luckily I only had to pay my $250 deductible and insurance covered the rest. I'll throw my plug in for Cody at Farm Bureau (Varmintslayer on here)...super easy to work with and made the repair process a piece of cake.

Guys on my lease look at me like I'm crazy when they find out I have insurance on my 4 Wheeler, and Travel Trailer. I paid cash for both, totaling about 14K. Insurance on stuff like that is cheap, and been a great investment for me.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Scope got whacked.... [Re: DocHorton] #8155708 02/04/21 05:17 PM
D
DocHorton Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Update....mailed the scope off to Leupold and got an email yesterday saying it would take about 5 weeks for the repair. Not sure exactly what their diagnosis is, but will keep updating as I get more info.

Re: Scope got whacked.... [Re: DocHorton] #8156703 02/05/21 12:53 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Thanks for the update Doc. I had an accident similar to that in my golf cart several years ago where my daughter hit the gas pedal. I chased it down before she hit anything, but it scared the tar out of me, and I never leave anything with it turned on and them in it anymore. Glad everyone was ok, and hopefully the scope gets fixed up by Leupold.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide