Re: Walk in cat country [Re: Stub] #8008170 10/13/20 01:40 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Stub
Originally Posted by decook
Well, if it were me, I would have been chunking rocks instead of filming with a cell phone. Assuming I didn't have a firearm on me which is pretty rare when I'm in the woods.

My first thought to was to chunk rocks at it also, but when your in a situation like that (and I have not been) who knows WTF is going through your mind?
The arm chair QB is always a lot more rational than the guy that looks like a big kitty's next meal.

I thought about the rocks too... but bending over to pick one up sure puts you in a bad position.

I wonder what effect he would have had moving towards it rather than backing away?

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Walk in cat country [Re: CharlieCTx] #8008209 10/13/20 02:06 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
My sister lives at PK and walks everyday. I'll tell her she really should stop enjoying those walks and be afraid. Be very afraid. grin

Re: Walk in cat country [Re: redchevy] #8008451 10/13/20 06:14 PM
B
Black02z28 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by redchevy
I wonder what effect he would have had moving towards it rather than backing away?

I was wondering the same thing. Part of me thinks that she would have went full attack mode, she looked pretty pissy at a few points in the video.

Re: Walk in cat country [Re: txtrophy85] #8008465 10/13/20 06:24 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Those monkeys are a real PITA

And I hate monkeys!
Toothy little bast..ds! roflmao

I've seen two so far but didn't get a shot at either of them and luckily neither of them were in a blind when I opened the door!!!

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Walk in cat country [Re: fishdfly] #8008467 10/13/20 06:26 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by fishdfly
How many folks have actually seen a big kitty in Texas?

How many folks have actually been attacked by a big kitty in Texas?

One of my lessors is terrified to walk to the blind in the dark in morning,. He thinks big kitty's are going to get him.

He wears a pistol all the time.

He needs to take up fishing.

Can't, Tiger Sharks! grin

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Walk in cat country [Re: Schpanky] #8008479 10/13/20 06:33 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Schpanky
I've only seen one and it was just a quick look over its shoulder before it disappeared into the brush. Been hunting TX all my life and I have to say that I'm much more concerned about walking up on a skunk while going to my blind than a cat. Quite frankly it just doesn't cross my mind that often. Gotta say though, if I got to worry about monkeys I'm out...

My advice then is to probably stay at least 30 miles or a bit more away from the dilley area!
There has been plenty of escape the monkey farm there off of 469 and IH 35 over the years.

A buddy of mine saw a shadow in a blind one afternoon while feeding roads for the owner's clients before they went to the stands. His first thought was a poacher being this particular stand was one of the closest ones to hwy 97 on the ranch. So, he acted like he didn't see anything and just kept feeding. As he idled past the stand he put the truck in neutral, jumped out with his 45, and started shimmying up the ladder as quickly as his 50+ year old 270lb body would let him. About the time he got to the 6th or 7th step of the ladder he heard a screech and out the window came a damn snow monkey. He almost shat his pants and jumped off the to the ground. He was in such shock he didn't even get a shot off as it hauled azz away! Good God I wish I'd been there filming that chit.
roflmao roflmao roflmao

I've seen this salty old SOB do hand to hand combat with 150lb boars, catch rattlesnakes like they were cottontails, cowboy up and ride some rank horses and handle nasty cattle, and beat the hell out of a few men that had it coming...….yet he damn near pooped his pants over a damn 20lb monkey! grin

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Walk in cat country [Re: txtrophy85] #8008480 10/13/20 06:35 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Imo the best part of the whole video is when he called the cat a shyteface.

What a weiner.......google a picture of the guy, typical millennial who has no business being in the woods . Why in the hell would you reach for your phone and film that instead of making a better attempt to defend yourself? If that cat wanted his arse it would have had him.

I always carry a side arm when bowhunting or walking around in the woods out west....situations like these are a good reason why. I’m more concerned about bears than cats though

I only cared about sows with cub up until Dave and I called that big arse cat in. That stand off left an impression. I've been around a lot of cats and bears, I've had sows chomp and huff at me, but never to the level of interaction intensity of that cat.

I'm not scared but definitely more respectful of space.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Walk in cat country [Re: CharlieCTx] #8008676 10/13/20 08:53 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I've see 2 mountain lions personally, and it might have been the same one twice since it was within about a mile of both sightings within a couple of weeks time span back in the mid 1960s. East side of Lake Buchanan up south Morgan creek by Spider Mountain. One was feeding on a roadkill deer by the side of the FM road, saw it in the headlights of the truck on our way to the deer lease on top of White Bluff. Second was with headlights from truck down by south Morgan creek at the spreader dam to the side of the FM road bridge over the creek after dark on our way home from the same lease. The Baker's owned several thousand acres all the way from south of south Morgan over to north of North Morgan and extended east to the old Company ranch. The Fry's owned several thousand acres immediately south of the bakers also back to the east to the old Company ranch. Between the Bakers and Frys, they killed several mountain lions almost every year that were killing their goats and calves.

I have spent tens of thousands of hours in the woods since and have not seen another one in Texas. My place SW from Ozona, the adjoining LO had a game camera picture earlier this year at a water trough about 400 yards north of our fence line of one drinking from the trough and neighbors to the west have killed a couple over the past several year after they started losing goats and sheep. I do keep my eyes pealed when I am out there since I know there have been recent sightings in the area.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Walk in cat country [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8008710 10/13/20 09:18 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

What a weiner.......google a picture of the guy, typical millennial who has no business being in the woods . Why in the hell would you reach for your phone and film that instead of making a better attempt to defend yourself? If that cat wanted his arse it would have had him.

I always carry a side arm when bowhunting or walking around in the woods out west....situations like these are a good reason why. I’m more concerned about bears than cats though

I only cared about sows with cub up until Dave and I called that big arse cat in. That stand off left an impression. I've been around a lot of cats and bears, I've had sows chomp and huff at me, but never to the level of interaction intensity of that cat.

I’m still more afraid of water moccasins than any bear or cat

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Walk in cat country [Re: CharlieCTx] #8008712 10/13/20 09:19 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
roflmao Man, it took that cat a long time to decipher whether or not that click-seeking millennial was acceptable prey or not. If he'd just 'a put the f'ing phone down, got pissed, and summoned the intestinal fortitude to make himself "big" and walk toward the cat. What...an...idiot. Another child that thinks if they utter some profane words that whatever's threatening them will just run the other way. But you can tell, even in this situation, the dweeb was trying to write dialogue in his head as to how it would play on social media.

The fall colors were purty though. up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Walk in cat country [Re: 5Redman8] #8008751 10/13/20 09:44 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted by 5Redman8
Everywhere in Texas is BIG cat central if you believe all the crazies on here.

They have heard them scream, their neighbor’s brother’s cousin’s friend saw one on their place last week, they have seen their tracks, they have even found kill sites that just has to be a Mountain Lion Cougar Panther....and sometimes they are even black.

Better carry that revolver everywhere you go...especially if it is leased or owned by anyone on THF.

there are a whole lot more that you don't see than the ones you do.....

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Walk in cat country [Re: txtrophy85] #8008754 10/13/20 09:46 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

I’m still more afraid of water moccasins than any bear or cat

I'm 20x more scared of rattle bugs then all the other US snakes combined.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Walk in cat country [Re: colt45-90] #8008824 10/13/20 11:03 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by colt45
Everywhere in Texas is BIG cat central if you believe all the crazies on here.

They have heard them scream, their neighbor’s brother’s cousin’s friend saw one on their place last week, they have seen their tracks, they have even found kill sites that just has to be a Mountain Lion Cougar Panther....and sometimes they are even black.

Better carry that revolver everywhere you go...especially if it is leased or owned by anyone on THF.

there are a whole lot more that you don't see than the ones you do.....

Same with snakes....a whole lot more of them see you than you see them...

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Walk in cat country [Re: CharlieCTx] #8011112 10/15/20 03:33 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
We have pics of lions roaming within 100 yards of our camp. I never give it a second thought.......small to medium hogs are a much easier meal than me.......I am very blessed to be quite comfortable roaming around lion country without a flash light in the dark and I truly never worry about being eaten, lol...............

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Walk in cat country [Re: CharlieCTx] #8011272 10/15/20 05:58 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Be like those Indian (dot, not feather) natives that wear hats with eyes on the back of your head....helps them with tigers.... up

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Walk in cat country [Re: CharlieCTx] #8011278 10/15/20 06:03 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
cheers cool video... The guy did the right thing, didnt turn his back to it...
Heard a man lion, [i]some will think muyloco fir saying that, no mtn lions in east texas , lived down road from tiger farm... know what one sounds like... & guys on lease adjoining say they saw one with 2 cubs...
It does make the hair on your body stand on end... Never carried pistol on archery hunts...
We got bear further north some sighted closer by...
Would shoot ta scare away if was carring...
Coll video..

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Walk in cat country [Re: CharlieCTx] #8023749 10/26/20 02:42 AM
W
woods and plainsman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
I've seen a couple and both were from a truck. One ran across the farm road in morning daylight into the Powderhorn ranch, we were headed to Port O'Connor. He wasn't huge, medium sized cat but the very long tail stuck out. Then while I was young working in oil patch, had one dart across hwy 77 a few miles north Victoria about 4 in the morning, the driller was driving and we both looked at each other in awe, he was pretty big. Almost hit him.

Re: Walk in cat country [Re: 5Redman8] #8027244 10/28/20 12:58 PM
Reloder28 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
......just has to be a Mountain Lion Cougar Panther....and sometimes they are even black..

Like a diamond head copper water rattle moccasin.

[b][/b]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide