texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Minas, fish_chum, NTPDFW, Bucks&Beards, scooter61
68051 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 105,588
bill oxner 78,715
stxranchman 57,267
SnakeWrangler 55,840
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
Gravytrain 41,706
BMD 41,160
Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics596,866
Posts11,210,366
Members83,051
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
Recommendations on 12V Air Compressor #8003648 10/09/20 12:39 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 762
T
TrackQuack Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 762
Looking for a good quality 12v air compressor. Went to do some research and was overwhelmed by the choices and varying reviews. Mainly for filling up the sxs at the lease. We have a generator however a 12v would be more convenient.

Re: Recommendations on 12V Air Compressor [Re: TrackQuack] #8003711 10/09/20 01:25 PM
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 115
P
Panhandler Offline
Woodsman
Offline
Woodsman
P
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 115
The one I have is from Northern Tool. The reason I got it is because it had alligator clips to connect directly to the battery instead of plugging into a cigarette lighter. I just looked it it up, it is the Klutch 12v heavy duty, on sale for 77.99. I've also seen a few different ones that will run off a drill battery, but I know with my luck, the time I need it my battery would be dead.

Re: Recommendations on 12V Air Compressor [Re: TrackQuack] #8003835 10/09/20 02:44 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 49,421
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy
Offline
decoy
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 49,421
Ok, I’ve had 5 over the years. My uses are 35” truck tires, 59hp plus tractor tires, trailer(boat, utility, gooseneck) tires, utv 30” tires, Soccer balls, and bicycles.

My review-
smitty built (2781, I think).
Worked great for about 5 years heavy use(truck, trailer, Tractor, utv. Etc)
Loud but dependable, but got hot quick, so need to let it cool before putting it up. Finally blew seals on it.

Klutch 12 Volt Heavy-Duty Portable Tire Inflator — 120 Max. PSI, 2.1 CFM
Got about 2 years out of it before screws just started coming out and it literally fell apart. Not near the smitty built quality, louder, slower and vibrates a lot more(why it fell apart)

Klutch 12 Volt Heavy-Duty Portable Tire Inflator — 150 Max. PSI, 5.3 CFM
Bought for tractor due to high Air, burned up after 7th use, vibration and heat same as smitty, thought it might be same compressor as smithy, but not and 1/3 quality

Klutch 12 Volt Dual Cylinder Portable Tire Inflator — 150 Max. PSI, 3.9 CFM
Figured this would be the end all be all, going to be a bear be a grizzly. Worked for a grand total of two minutes on side of the mountain in CO. Biggest POS known to man, hindsight look at the ratings

Current situation Viair 400P-Automatic Portable Compressor
So far extremely impressed, very, quiet and well built and robust, automatic cut off when no air not being used. Best craftsmanship out off all of them. Only complaint is they don’t give you a set and go nozzle, understandable because it goes to 150psi and can blow a tire, but it’s annoying. I’ve add some big rubber bands. Air tube and battery cable are long enough I can air up a 20ft trailer’s tires while attached to my f250. Only one out of all of them that would do that.


Over all budget wise, go with smittybuilt, best overall quality/last a life time buy the $$$ Viair. I would only buy gator clips options and not cig lighter plugs or you will being changing fuses all the time


Hope this helps

I also high recommend the ARB 10000011 Speedy Seal Tire Repair Kit (Universal), 1 Pack


Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Recommendations on 12V Air Compressor [Re: TrackQuack] #8003969 10/09/20 04:24 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,716
Gumbeaux Offline
Extreme Tracker
Offline
Extreme Tracker
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,716
These things have come a long way from the old days. Old ones would take 2 hours to pump up a balloon.

My wife bought me one from Sharper Image a few years back. It went on a shelf because I figured it was a POS. I decided to try it out on the Mule tire one day after I added some sealant and it took the tire from zero to 16 PSI quick. I was impressed. You can also set it to the PSI you want and it shuts off when done.

Instead of a shelf, it lives in the Mule now.

It' runs off a drill battery but also has a cig plug on it.

Re: Recommendations on 12V Air Compressor [Re: TrackQuack] #8004168 10/09/20 07:05 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,880
C
cxjcherokec Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
C
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,880
Viar will be the best you can buy. Ran it on my jeep for years and put that thing through hell. Ran air tools, aired tires back up, aired up innertubes at the river, you name it. It was permanently mounted in the jeep and kept a 10 gal tank full while wheeling.

Re: Recommendations on 12V Air Compressor [Re: TrackQuack] #8004250 10/09/20 08:01 PM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 4,491
H
Hudbone Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
H
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 4,491
Mine is extremely portable. I have an ARB in my Tacoma's engine compartment. About as handy as a pocket on a shirt.

Re: Recommendations on 12V Air Compressor [Re: TrackQuack] #8004609 10/10/20 01:23 AM
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 8,084
T
TCM3 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 8,084
Project farm on youtube did a good review on these.


War is when the government tells you who the enemy is.
Revolution is when you find out for yourself.
Re: Recommendations on 12V Air Compressor [Re: TrackQuack] #8004909 10/10/20 01:28 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,739
V
Vern1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
V
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,739
Had great luck with Ryobi compressor/inflator.
It runs on the Ryobi 18V batteries.
We use them in the pits at races and on the farm.
We also have Ryobi drills, impacts, saws, weed eaters, etc. and abuse the crap out of them while racing.


Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Recommendations on 12V Air Compressor [Re: TrackQuack] #8007189 10/12/20 05:18 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 762
T
TrackQuack Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 762
This is the info I was looking for, thank you

Re: Recommendations on 12V Air Compressor [Re: TrackQuack] #8007984 10/13/20 03:41 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,640
H
huntingag01 Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
H
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,640
Been happy with Viair. I have a couple and each different size for application. The 400p is awesome.

Re: Recommendations on 12V Air Compressor [Re: TrackQuack] #8008811 10/13/20 10:45 PM
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 11,346
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
P
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 11,346
ya'll are better than me ... I have a couple of cheapo 12vdc from various places, couldn't begin to tell you what manufacturer they are or output. I carry a couple in my truck tool box that I have used to air up truck, tractor, RTV, trailer, etc. tires ... noisy and slow but get the job done in time.


"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Recommendations on 12V Air Compressor [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8009034 10/14/20 02:04 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 17,281
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 17,281
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Ok, I’ve had 5 over the years. My uses are 35” truck tires, 59hp plus tractor tires, trailer(boat, utility, gooseneck) tires, utv 30” tires, Soccer balls, and bicycles.

My review-
smitty built (2781, I think).
Worked great for about 5 years heavy use(truck, trailer, Tractor, utv. Etc)
Loud but dependable, but got hot quick, so need to let it cool before putting it up. Finally blew seals on it.

Klutch 12 Volt Heavy-Duty Portable Tire Inflator — 120 Max. PSI, 2.1 CFM
Got about 2 years out of it before screws just started coming out and it literally fell apart. Not near the smitty built quality, louder, slower and vibrates a lot more(why it fell apart)

Klutch 12 Volt Heavy-Duty Portable Tire Inflator — 150 Max. PSI, 5.3 CFM
Bought for tractor due to high Air, burned up after 7th use, vibration and heat same as smitty, thought it might be same compressor as smithy, but not and 1/3 quality

Klutch 12 Volt Dual Cylinder Portable Tire Inflator — 150 Max. PSI, 3.9 CFM
Figured this would be the end all be all, going to be a bear be a grizzly. Worked for a grand total of two minutes on side of the mountain in CO. Biggest POS known to man, hindsight look at the ratings

Current situation Viair 400P-Automatic Portable Compressor
So far extremely impressed, very, quiet and well built and robust, automatic cut off when no air not being used. Best craftsmanship out off all of them. Only complaint is they don’t give you a set and go nozzle, understandable because it goes to 150psi and can blow a tire, but it’s annoying. I’ve add some big rubber bands. Air tube and battery cable are long enough I can air up a 20ft trailer’s tires while attached to my f250. Only one out of all of them that would do that.


Over all budget wise, go with smittybuilt, best overall quality/last a life time buy the $$$ Viair. I would only buy gator clips options and not cig lighter plugs or you will being changing fuses all the time


Hope this helps

I also high recommend the ARB 10000011 Speedy Seal Tire Repair Kit (Universal), 1 Pack


And I thought Judd was a slow learner. What’s that saying about repeating the same thing over and over hoping for a new result?


Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
"The Bigley Group"
Premier Legacy Real Estate, LLC.
www.PremierLegacyRealEstate.com
WDews@premierlegacyrealestate.com
214-356-2410

Re: Recommendations on 12V Air Compressor [Re: TrackQuack] #8009621 10/14/20 03:09 PM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 4,491
H
Hudbone Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
H
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 4,491
My ARB is used to operate a front end locker which provides true 4WD with no (zero) slip. The cost of the air compressor alone is in line with the Viair systems. Open the hood, plug in the hose and good to go.

Re: Recommendations on 12V Air Compressor [Re: BigPig] #8010556 10/15/20 01:54 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 49,421
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy
Offline
decoy
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 49,421
Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Ok, I’ve had 5 over the years. My uses are 35” truck tires, 59hp plus tractor tires, trailer(boat, utility, gooseneck) tires, utv 30” tires, Soccer balls, and bicycles.

My review-
smitty built (2781, I think).
Worked great for about 5 years heavy use(truck, trailer, Tractor, utv. Etc)
Loud but dependable, but got hot quick, so need to let it cool before putting it up. Finally blew seals on it.

Klutch 12 Volt Heavy-Duty Portable Tire Inflator — 120 Max. PSI, 2.1 CFM
Got about 2 years out of it before screws just started coming out and it literally fell apart. Not near the smitty built quality, louder, slower and vibrates a lot more(why it fell apart)

Klutch 12 Volt Heavy-Duty Portable Tire Inflator — 150 Max. PSI, 5.3 CFM
Bought for tractor due to high Air, burned up after 7th use, vibration and heat same as smitty, thought it might be same compressor as smithy, but not and 1/3 quality

Klutch 12 Volt Dual Cylinder Portable Tire Inflator — 150 Max. PSI, 3.9 CFM
Figured this would be the end all be all, going to be a bear be a grizzly. Worked for a grand total of two minutes on side of the mountain in CO. Biggest POS known to man, hindsight look at the ratings

Current situation Viair 400P-Automatic Portable Compressor
So far extremely impressed, very, quiet and well built and robust, automatic cut off when no air not being used. Best craftsmanship out off all of them. Only complaint is they don’t give you a set and go nozzle, understandable because it goes to 150psi and can blow a tire, but it’s annoying. I’ve add some big rubber bands. Air tube and battery cable are long enough I can air up a 20ft trailer’s tires while attached to my f250. Only one out of all of them that would do that.


Over all budget wise, go with smittybuilt, best overall quality/last a life time buy the $$$ Viair. I would only buy gator clips options and not cig lighter plugs or you will being changing fuses all the time


Hope this helps

I also high recommend the ARB 10000011 Speedy Seal Tire Repair Kit (Universal), 1 Pack


And I thought Judd was a slow learner. What’s that saying about repeating the same thing over and over hoping for a new result?


Convenience, if I lived close to 4wheel parts in Coppell I’d just got another Smitybuilt, but northern power is 5 mins.


Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Recommendations on 12V Air Compressor [Re: Hudbone] #8010558 10/15/20 01:55 AM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 49,421
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy
Offline
decoy
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 49,421
Originally Posted by Hudbone
My ARB is used to operate a front end locker which provides true 4WD with no (zero) slip. The cost of the air compressor alone is in line with the Viair systems. Open the hood, plug in the hose and good to go.


Both the built in ARB and Built in Viair get pretty high reviews.


Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Recommendations on 12V Air Compressor [Re: TrackQuack] #8010750 10/15/20 09:25 AM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 4,491
H
Hudbone Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
H
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 4,491
I bought the compressor for the front wheel locker. The shop told me there was a port where they could put an "extra" chuck on. I said yes, because it was right there, cheap & easy. I had no idea how much I would use that thing and just how convenient it is to have it.

Re: Recommendations on 12V Air Compressor [Re: Hudbone] #8010933 10/15/20 01:28 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 49,421
BOBO the Clown Offline
decoy
Offline
decoy
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 49,421
Originally Posted by Hudbone
I bought the compressor for the front wheel locker. The shop told me there was a port where they could put an "extra" chuck on. I said yes, because it was right there, cheap & easy. I had no idea how much I would use that thing and just how convenient it is to have it.


My Old f250 caught on fire on side of a mountain. To this day I think it was the Warn Quick connect/winch Cables shorting out some where(I converted everything(jumper cables, air compressor etc) to just plug in to the quick connect at front or back of the truck. After the fire, I just go straight alligator clip on any accessory over 60w

I think anyone that hunts should have on board air in some form or fashion.


Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Recommendations on 12V Air Compressor [Re: TrackQuack] #8015417 10/19/20 11:28 AM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 774
L
Loanman Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
L
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 774
Got a ARB twin compressor and adding it to the engine bay with a Rago Fabrication engine mount, have used my buddies several times, Game Changer at the lease always airing up stuff!
Investing in something like this is always Painful in the beginning but in the long runs works out way better...


Thejeffersonteam.com

If you have a Mortgage Question call anytime, always here to help Fellow Hunters.
Been Helping Families get in Their Homes for many years, Families need a place to live!
Re: Recommendations on 12V Air Compressor [Re: TrackQuack] #8015574 10/19/20 02:19 PM
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,651
6
68rustbucket Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
6
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,651
I use a CO2 tank. Carry a 10lb on the mule, and a 15lb on the truck.

Re: Recommendations on 12V Air Compressor [Re: huntingag01] #8050549 11/14/20 05:24 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 705
M
mooney_ag Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
M
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 705
Originally Posted by huntingag01
Been happy with Viair. I have a couple and each different size for application. The 400p is awesome.


Second for the viair. Have two in vehicles now. Any others will be replaced with the same.

Re: Recommendations on 12V Air Compressor [Re: mooney_ag] #8060332 11/22/20 10:29 PM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,558
hopalong Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,558
Originally Posted by mooney_ag
Originally Posted by huntingag01
Been happy with Viair. I have a couple and each different size for application. The 400p is awesome.


Second for the viair. Have two in vehicles now. Any others will be replaced with the same.



same for me, replaced original air ride comp for 5000# overload bags, the 380c viair is hands down better. quiet, will put 20psi in the bags in a few seconds. about to add a 1.5 gal. tank/quick connect frame mounted (I hope. lol).

https://www.viaircorp.com/c-models/380c-compressor


worth the money for what you will use it for.

Last edited by hopalong; 11/22/20 10:30 PM.


lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: Recommendations on 12V Air Compressor [Re: TCM3] #8100034 12/23/20 12:21 AM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 520
C
Cajunrotor Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
C
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 520
Originally Posted by TCM3
Project farm on youtube did a good review on these.


https://youtu.be/kTpSgUyyBA8

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3