Forums46
Topics538,081
Posts9,732,744
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7959640 09/02/20 08:18 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
What dogs?

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: Sneaky] #7959666 09/02/20 08:35 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Sneaky
The first rule of taking care of dog problems is you don’t talk about taking care of dog problems.

Words of wisdom!!!!!

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7959716 09/02/20 09:14 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
No surprise that deer antlers are all it takes to make some guys lie to another man's face. I've been on a lease where lies and secrets were kept and it didn't end well. They never do.

If you want to make an enemy of a neighbor or landowner for life, shoot and kill anything that he/she owns. Ain't a deer in the woods important enough for me to shoot any domestic animal owned by someone else.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/02/20 09:26 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7959744 09/02/20 09:43 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I trap my ranch with conibears and snares to control the coyotes, if some irresponsible dog owner can't keep their dogs on their own property, the problem tends to work itself out.

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: Texas Dan] #7959803 09/02/20 10:42 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
No surprise that deer antlers are all it takes to make some guys lie to another man's face. I've been on a lease where lies and secrets were kept and it didn't end well. They never do.

If you want to make an enemy of a neighbor or landowner for life, shoot and kill anything that he/she owns. Ain't a deer in the woods important enough for me to shoot any domestic animal owned by someone else.

Your telling us the others guys disruptive, ill trained pet is above the desires of what someone is trying to achieve on their own property? Did you think this through or just blab it out? That doesn’t sell very well here.

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: ChrisB] #7960063 09/03/20 02:11 AM
R
reeder05 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ChrisB
Seeing how its a felony to shoot someone's dog without permission I would make that my last choice. Talk to a local Sheriff or game warden would be my first step if I didn't know my neighbors.

LOLing at this guy...

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Wife has always wanted some Hard 8
Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: ChrisB] #7960079 09/03/20 02:28 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Seeing how its a felony to shoot someone's dog without permission I would make that my last choice. Talk to a local Sheriff or game warden would be my first step if I didn't know my neighbors.

Once you talk to LEO, if anything happens to the dogs, you will be the one accused. It won't matter if the dog was run over by a truck or if anther landowner shoots it and the dog shows up at home wounded. Guess who LEO will come to visit. You can bet the outhouse there are others that are having the same problem.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: dogcatcher] #7960349 09/03/20 01:36 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by dogcatcher

Once you talk to LEO, if anything happens to the dogs, you will be the one accused. It won't matter if the dog was run over by a truck or if anther landowner shoots it and the dog shows up at home wounded. Guess who LEO will come to visit. You can bet the outhouse there are others that are having the same problem.

Truth ^^^
Even if you would never shoot a dog, but just mentioning your displeasure could put a target on your back.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: ChrisB] #7960375 09/03/20 01:58 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Is it? I'd like to know.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7960492 09/03/20 03:41 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

Is it? I'd like to know.

[Linked Image]
Guys, this has been posted a hundred times on here. I don’t care how everyone else handles this problem on their property. That’s your own business. I’m just not taking the chance of losing my right to vote and own guns over shooting a dog.

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7960524 09/03/20 04:14 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
This is one reason you should always have livestock on a property.
Chasing wildlife is a completely different ball game than harassing, attacking or aggressive towards humans or livestock

Best to go directly to the source... scroll down to sub chapter B

---> H&S code chapter 822.

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7960549 09/03/20 04:32 PM
Txhunter65 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
rifle
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7960585 09/03/20 05:16 PM
BigRon Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Many years ago, early on Christmas morning, we heard a terrible racket from the pen where we had two bottle calves we were raising. The wife and I hurried out the front door armed and saw a large Husky chasing the calves around the pen and biting at their rears and hamstring area. Not wanting to shoot some kid's pet on Christmas morning, I shot into the ground next to the dog as they made a lap around the pen past me. No response from the dog. I did it once more on the next lap and still no response from the dog. On the next lap, I took the Texas heart shot from straight behind and the dog yelped his way home to the next property over and (I found out later)died on their porch. One of the calves had a chewed tail and they both had bite wounds.

I called the sheriff's office and explained what had happened. Never heard a word back from them. Later found that a LEO from a neighboring city had moved onto the property next door and brought the Husky. He regularly took the Husky shooting and the dog was apparently not afraid of gunshots.

The whole issue is one that is commonly encountered, at least here in Wise County. Folks move out of the city and say to themselves, "We live in the country now, we don't have to fence our dogs in anymore.". My issue is not with dogs running game animals, it's our livestock. And I will shoot a dog in a heartbeat for endangering our livestock.

We've heard it all, "call me if my dog is a problem and we'll come get him", "don't shoot my dog, I'll pay for any damage he causes". None of these work. Even if the owner was to come get their dog, he'll just come back now that he has a taste for running calves and I might not be around to stop him next time. And as soon as you tell one of these city weenies how much the calf their dog killed costs, he'll be mighty hard to convince that his dog did the crime. But I'm not one to lie to my neighbors and I've called the sheriff's office every time I've shot a dog menacing livestock. It's caused some hurt feelings, but anyone mad about their dog dying because of their negligence is not someone that I need for a friend anyhow.

God is so good to me.
Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: Texas Dan] #7960621 09/03/20 06:19 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Dogs killing a $5000 Ibex sometimes changes a persons mind on how stray dogs are treated. Now none get a pass here that is unless I miss.

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: Txhunter65] #7960695 09/03/20 07:39 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Txhunter65
rifle
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

good plan

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: Rustler] #7960718 09/03/20 07:57 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by Rustler
This is one reason you should always have livestock on a property.
Chasing wildlife is a completely different ball game than harassing, attacking or aggressive towards humans or livestock

Best to go directly to the source... scroll down to sub chapter B

---> H&S code chapter 822.

This kinda negates penal code 42.09...that is, if the dog has been attacking or harassing persons, livestock, or fowl.

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7961191 09/04/20 10:56 AM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
A friend of mine outside Jacksboro had just quartered a doe and put her in his big cooler with the lid open, went into the house for ice when he came back there were three dogs running off with some of his deer meat. They tried it a second time with a deer hanging, they no longer have the ability to try it a third time.

texas Faith, Family and Freedom flag

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: ChrisB] #7961350 09/04/20 02:13 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

Is it? I'd like to know.

[Linked Image]
Guys, this has been posted a hundred times on here. I don’t care how everyone else handles this problem on their property. That’s your own business. I’m just not taking the chance of losing my right to vote and own guns over shooting a dog.

& I’m not taking a chance that a stray dog attacks me, my family, my livestock, or my wildlife.

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7961371 09/04/20 02:26 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I learned several years ago that a pack of dogs that act aggressive toward you are no fun when you don't have a way to defend yourself.
I'll never go into the woods without a firearm since then.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7961438 09/04/20 03:36 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Be careful who you take advice from. Some ill advised Lessee’s don’t think this whole thing through where dogs are “running their deer off”. Had a hunter/lessee shoot a neighbor’s dog while he was hunting on a low fence trophy lease. Got a registered letter from the neighbor Informing me of pending legal action and a very expensive vet bill. Ended up costing (landowner)several thousand dollars to resolve. Ended up costing the hunter and his buddies their lease. Be smart how you handle the situation and understand your actions may also implicate the land owner. They will not appreciate being pulled into a felony proceeding and generally the neighbor will go after the landowner. Had the lessee handled the problem in a legal manner, the landowner would not have been pulled into it. Deer hunting brings out the best in some and the worst in others....

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: Smokey Bear] #7961463 09/04/20 04:11 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Be careful who you take advice from. Some ill advised Lessee’s don’t think this whole thing through where dogs are “running their deer off”. Had a hunter/lessee shoot a neighbor’s dog while he was hunting on a low fence trophy lease. Got a registered letter from the neighbor Informing me of pending legal action and a very expensive vet bill. Ended up costing (landowner)several thousand dollars to resolve. Ended up costing the hunter and his buddies their lease. Be smart how you handle the situation and understand your actions may also implicate the land owner. They will not appreciate being pulled into a felony proceeding and generally the neighbor will go after the landowner. Had the lessee handled the problem in a legal manner, the landowner would not have been pulled into it. Deer hunting brings out the best in some and the worst in others....

And how did they find out?

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7961485 09/04/20 04:43 PM
S
Smokey Bear Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Not sure who “they” are but ... Dog showed up at home with a bullet hole. Neighbor blood tracked where it came from.
I found out with a registered letter.
Shooter found out eye to eye his lease privileges were terminated, which is how he should have handled his issue with the neighbor.
Many lessors are very short sighted. From a realistic landowner perspective lessors come and go. Neighbors are permanent. If lessors can’t fit into the local landscape and get along they don’t last long. Very few landowners will continue to deal with problem Lessors.

Edit to add: if you have to lie about something you have done or face felony charges for admitting it, it may not be a good idea.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 09/04/20 04:51 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7961508 09/04/20 04:59 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
The laws are clear,
Dogs chasing harassing even killing wildlife is not legal grounds to shoot a dog. Under any circumstance.
You ‘can’ get yourself to into far more trouble than it will ever be worth.

On the other hand, dogs that are on your property aggressive towards humans, domestic animals or livestock
( chasing, harassing, attacking or about to) are not protected by law.

How do people find out?
In reality most people are really lousy shots, the dog returns home wounded, dumbazzes talk about shooting a dog, some idiots even post on the internet about their actions or intensions.

If you have a dog / wildlife problem nothing you can legally do unless the dogs are truly feral / abandoned/ dumped.
If they are, nobody is looking for them or cares.

Wildlife - no.
Humans, domestic animals, livestock - yes.

Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7961601 09/04/20 06:06 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
popcorn

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Dogs on our property. What do y'all do about it? [Re: V.P. of the R.O.C.] #7961612 09/04/20 06:16 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
All I know is you have to be a real dumb a** around these parts to get into any kind of trouble over shooting a dog on your property. Bandera county has a leach law and if a dog in off your property and not on a leach with someone holding it it does not look good for the dog. A few years ago a person lived about a quarter mile from me. He had a couple of dogs that would sometimes roam around. I had shot at them a few times but missed. I called the sheriff dept and a deputy came out. I took him to the dog owners house and showed him the dogs. The owner was either not there or would not answer the door. The deputy told me that he could not do anything since the dogs were in the yard but for me to shoot them as soon as the were out of the yard and in my property.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide