Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7940486 08/18/20 12:15 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Proper communication is a big key. Some don't always like to share their photos. Our biggest problem may well be when bigger bucks which qualify for our system, yet which a particular hunter may think needs or desires another year out of him. We have lots of space around us, but when the rut and eventual roaming comes, other hunters may be caught off guard if a mature buck enters their view and they make a quick decision.

Here's how I handled it this past year (sent out w/three photos) - Klappenbach and I both have photos of this guy. We believe we have been watching him for a little while now (see Comb 18). He may well be a mid 160’s deer, but we can’t get a grip on his age. He is pretty dominant, but there are bucks with bigger bodies out there. Seeing him in the hoof for over an hour, I can tell you he has calloused knees with no fur. He is a minimum of 5 ½ and possibly 6. Whatever his age, we think his tall dog catchers, tall G-2’s and in general his beautiful appearance are characteristics worth passing on to the next generation. Not telling you guys what to do, just letting you know we do not plan on taking this guy (comb buck) this year.

We try to take our trophies at 6 1/2 and frankly, after watching this guy for three seasons, I was pretty sure he was 6 1/2. One other hunter saw him during the season and did recognize him. Even so, he made it through the season. We took our chances and are hoping for long term benefits and maybe a spectacular animal for this year. Btw, if anyone had shot that deer, I would have been good with it. I could have shot him a dozen times. He really liked my main feed pen.

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: Leonardo] #7940496 08/18/20 12:26 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Leonardo
Sure takes the fun out of it

I'm with you

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7940504 08/18/20 12:32 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
It's kinda neat to see eight grown men acting like adults in pursuit of a common goal .

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7940509 08/18/20 12:36 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Only way to get on a lease with strict rules on what you can and cannot shoot, is if you just want to hunt with a camera! Then sell your information to the highest bidder! up

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: tlk] #7940577 08/18/20 01:43 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by tlk
As Freerange and Stx stated there are multiple ways to for deer leases to operate just the same as there are different ways businesses are run or how children are raised. There is no “right or wrong” way as long as it is within the law. As stated on this forum multiple times, the trick is to join a lease that fits your personality and goals. The issues arise when a member joins a lease where they don’t agree with the rules but joins anyway or they want rules and join a lease that doesn’t have any.

How you define “fun” may be totally different from how I or someone else defines it. I can tell you that on our lease (which is structured based on our LO’s rules), I have witnessed many members over my years kill the biggest deer of their lives by far. I have been there when they teared up or were jumping around like a kids with joy. For them, I am pretty sure they would define their experiences as fun.

So let’s all keep in mind the beauty of living in a country of free will and free choice. When joining a lease simply invest the time to find the one that fits your style.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well said

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7940579 08/18/20 01:45 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by NOCOOLNAMETOO
Hunt by committee . whats your thoughts ?

I feel a little micro managed. I don't like deer being categorized into cull, no shoot or trophies based off pictures . I think this go either way just like people post on here one buck gets aged from 3/12 to 5 1/2. We have rules in place I'm good with that but having 3 folders of deer to determine what can and cannot be shot just seem overkill . To me judge on the hoof is the way to go. Our lease is getting better quality deer each year and I knew what I signed up for guess I just needed to vent a little .

The bolded above to me says that you understand that what you all are doing is working to better the lease overall.
Any significant gain takes pain and there is no doubt it can be a big time PITA to get everyone on the same page, especially if there are a lot of guys on the place.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7940635 08/18/20 02:27 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Big difference, at least to me, between taking an animal that became exceptional in the wild on its own and one that was fed and managed as if it were registered livestock.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7940639 08/18/20 02:30 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
I'm "managed" at work. I refuse to be managed while I'm practicing my hobby. To each his own I guess.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7940666 08/18/20 02:48 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Hunting only a "hobby? Blaspheme.

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: Jimbo1] #7940696 08/18/20 03:20 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Jimbo1
I'm "managed" at work. I refuse to be managed while I'm practicing my hobby. To each his own I guess.

I quoted Jimbo and wanted to quote Hud but dont know how to double quote. This isnt directed directly at either of them. Hud likes to see a group of adults work together towards a common goal and Jimbo doesnt want to be "managed" outside work. Any of yall that dont like a lease with guidelines what if your "hobby" wasnt hunting but maybe basketball and the coach and all other players on the "team" believed in and agreed on a particular style of play(fast paced, defensive, inside, outside) would you get off the team? If you understood up front would you not of gotten on the team? Would it matter if you agreed with the style but just didnt want to be "managed?" Ive been told that tennis players do not fit in well on team sports. To each his own. The HUNTING of our lease is very much done as individuals but the MANAGEMENT of the deer is done as a team or group through extensive communication and teamwork. These discussions on aging offer a great opportunity at comradery and bonding and is an extension of the hunting experience and it as much FUN for some as the actual time afield. Our way obviously doesnt appeal to all of yall but there are 18 of us and we all have FUN.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: Hudbone] #7940743 08/18/20 04:05 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Hunting only a "hobby? Blaspheme.

If you're not getting paid to do it then it's a hobby. Didn't say "only" a hobby.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7940780 08/18/20 04:37 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
No one gets paid to eat, drink, breathe and sleep among several other things,

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: freerange] #7940804 08/18/20 04:57 PM
M
mickeyhft Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
The HUNTING of our lease is very much done as individuals but the MANAGEMENT of the deer is done as a team or group through extensive communication and teamwork. These discussions on aging offer a great opportunity at comradery and bonding and is an extension of the hunting experience and it as much FUN for some as the actual time afield. Our way obviously doesnt appeal to all of yall but there are 18 of us and we all have FUN. [/quote]

Those discussions are so much FUN, whether on a lease or amongst the guides, it one of my favorite parts of hunting. Stewarding the natural resource in some purposeful way is a pleasure and more so with a team, for me anyway.

DFW Roofing Contractor - Priority Roofing
HuntFishThrive.com

We are all in this together!
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: Texas Dan] #7940893 08/18/20 06:28 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Big difference, at least to me, between taking an animal that became exceptional in the wild on its own and one that was fed and managed as if it were registered livestock.

I'm not sure I follow you completely with this statement.

So, you don't believe in supplemental feeding of any kind for deer or selective harvesting based on genetic features at all?

I just don't see supplemental feeding and selective harvesting anything close to raising registered livestock whether it be on a HF or LF place.
To me when you start altering the genetic make-up of a herd by introducing deer that were bred in pens that somewhat changes the game for me but I still have no problem with it.

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: Texas Dan] #7940921 08/18/20 06:54 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Texas Dan

Managed like livestock... take a look at your tags and tell me what the break down of them are and get back to us.....

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: Hudbone] #7940923 08/18/20 06:56 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Speak for yourself, I’m kind of a big deal.....

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7940928 08/18/20 06:59 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Some leases are centered around growing "trophy" deer, and some are not. I don't mind strict rules as long as those rules are made clear up front and I know what I am agreeing to. What really ticks me off is when all members agree to a set of rules as far as what animals we take or pass, and then some of those members decide to go ahead and shoot whatever they want anyway, while you are following the rules. When I agree to something, that's that. Not everyone feels that way though. I understand mistakes do happen, I'm not into shaming someone over a deer if it's an honest mistake. I'm talking about straight up screw those rules for whatever reason. Many a times I was after a first deer for one of my kids and passed those bucks because they were supposed to be off limits, so we went home empty handed over and again. Then one of the other members or their kid would show up and shoot that deer. Members related to the land owner and the LO wouldn't do anything about it because he didn't want trouble with the family. Aggravating, especially when you are putting more work and money into the place than anyone else. Makes you want to say screw it, well I'm gonna shoot whatever I want too then, but that's not how I roll. I gave my word that I would follow the rules, so that's what I'm gonna do.

I hate drama, especially deer lease drama. Going to the lease is supposed to be fun and a drama free zone. If the fun starts getting sucked out of it, it's time to move on.

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7940947 08/18/20 07:17 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

[Linked Image]

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: stxranchman] #7940962 08/18/20 07:39 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by stxranchman

[Linked Image]

Not manly enough facial hair to be me, but my next worth is a touch less then Will Ferrell so we will call it even
grin

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7940970 08/18/20 07:44 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
skinner, I totally agree ... when you sign up knowing what the expectations are, great ... when someone else deviates from the agreed to expectations, although it might p!ss us off, we should continue to stand by what we signed up for. Too often our word is all we have and that can bring respect from others.

first year on the lease in East TX was the first year they went MLD3, rules stated we were to put 2 does down before taking a trophy or cull. Opening weekend I put 2 does down and had hanging in camp when the lease boss came thru camp and looked at me and said "you ain't scared to pull the trigger, are you?" I laughed and said "nope, not when the rules said we were to take 2 does before we took a trophy/cull, and I don't want to pass on a 17 and a half point because I haven't taken my 2 does".

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7940975 08/18/20 07:47 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
'Sounds like some of you have...formed strategic alliances with your hunting partners to dialogue on how to maximize potential while closely monitoring a cost-benefit analysis, all the while reaching out to various resources in order to ensure that the differentiating value-added strategy results in transformational change. grin

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7941051 08/18/20 08:46 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by stxranchman

[Linked Image]

Not manly enough facial hair to be me, but my next worth is a touch less then Will Ferrell so we will call it even
grin

[Linked Image]

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: Creekrunner] #7941186 08/18/20 10:35 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
'Sounds like some of you have...formed strategic alliances with your hunting partners to dialogue on how to maximize potential while closely monitoring a cost-benefit analysis, all the while reaching out to various resources in order to ensure that the differentiating value-added strategy results in transformational change. grin

Now you've done gone and went philosophical on us, lol

I'm in the camp that life's to short for deer lease drama. I'm with a small group of like minded and so far its working out just fine (6 on 2500 acres).
I've got a couple different hunting place options (one is sort of more convenient) has some good bucks (very few does) for the area that travel through the property but members are not what I consider 'hunters' and there are no rules. I rarely go when others are there and that is how I manage not being offended by drama and I've taken some nice bucks off this property of which the others say there are no deer at all. I also have some family cattle lease property in E TX that I get away for solitude and change of pace hunting. It is still FUN to sit on the ridges of hardwoods or on the edges of truly briar and honesuckle thickets and watch the woods come alive in the morning.

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: NOCOOLNAMETOO] #7941211 08/18/20 10:55 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by NOCOOLNAMETOO
Hunt by committee . whats your thoughts ?

I feel a little micro managed. I don't like deer being categorized into cull, no shoot or trophies based off pictures . I think this go either way just like people post on here one buck gets aged from 3/12 to 5 1/2. We have rules in place I'm good with that but having 3 folders of deer to determine what can and cannot be shot just seem overkill . To me judge on the hoof is the way to go. Our lease is getting better quality deer each year and I knew what I signed up for guess I just needed to vent a little .

That lease wouldn’t work for me. I don’t take deer hunting seriously. I know some that do. Find a lease that has people with views similar to yours. I go deer hunting because I like to drink beer and have a good time with old friends. All of our boys enjoy shooting deer and getting to hang out together too. I don’t enjoy anyone telling me what or how to do anything, unless I’m making money off them, and that has a limit. If it’s not fun for you why spend the time and money.
That’s not the only deer lease in Texas.

Re: Thoughts/ Deer lease [Re: Jimbo1] #7941214 08/18/20 10:56 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Jimbo1

Your last six words sums it all up - no reason to keep debating - if it were me I would cut off your last two words and go with that - "to each his own" - period.

Just because you do not agree with someone else's approach does not mean your approach is the only one or the best one - go enjoy your way and I will enjoy my way -

Last edited by tlk; 08/18/20 10:57 PM.

You can't fix stupid
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide