Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7927025 08/07/20 03:07 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Any of you willing to make a bet similar to the one that J P made about the doomsday of the stock market? You can leave out the part head lighting deer and eating dog meat.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: B-radder] #7927167 08/07/20 05:32 PM
O
oldrancher Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
[
Originally Posted by Brad Hardt
I dont think many could. You may have whatever you believe is the ticket , but if a large group moves in from different angles, your done. I live on a large amount of property and I have tons of animals, water , etc. You can still only protect so much , and kill so many people.

No matter the amount of land its going to come down to you protecting about 5 acres. They will watch you and kill you at some point

I think the major factor for survival is proximity to major metropolitan areas. The closer you live to one of those areas, you will be overwhelmed in hours or at least in a day or two. More remote areas as in South Texas or West Texas it may be a week or two. No one will be immune to desperate visitors eventually and that is when hard choices will have to be made. Let's take it a little deeper. Can we turn away or shoot a starving family looking for food and water when we have little for ourselves? Can we shoot someone for killing our livestock for food? We all have guns and ammunition but are we prepared to use it on each other in desperate times? Who are the bad guys and how do we recognize them? Who decides? You may be the bad guy in their plight because you have what they need to survive. It's a split second decision on who lives and who dies and why. Did you just kill someone who was a good person but only trying to survive? Can we live with ourselves after we have done the unimaginable and can we do it without remorse? Hard questions when faced with reality.

We were all fat and happy before this pandemic but in a very short time our lives changed drastically. Reality is still sinking in. We are vulnerable. Another hit by anything else like a power grid or currency failure would end this society as we know it. The reality is unless you live off of the grid completely where no one can find you and you have those skills developed already, there is little chance of survival. Some of us will make it for awhile. We have experienced regional disasters such as tornadoes, hurricanes, floods and earthquakes and these can be responded to but a nationwide or worldwide disaster is another issue. I'm the eternal optimist but I'm also a realist.

This is a thought provoking thread but it should be given serious thought of how far will we go to survive. How far will you go?

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: Payne] #7927192 08/07/20 05:57 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Payne
I figured you as more of a book of eli kind of guy

I figured out he was blind when she went to his room and all he wanted to do was eat dinner grin

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7927201 08/07/20 06:06 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I think a question not answered is - If there's little left in the world, why would you want to live?

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: Jimbo1] #7927213 08/07/20 06:21 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Jimbo1
I think a question not answered is - If there's little left in the world, why would you want to live?

It is called the will to survive.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7927232 08/07/20 06:38 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Gonna be like the first Thanksgiving. People will help the hungry and the hungry will bite the hand that feeds them and then try to take all their stuff. Don't come to my house unless your bringing fire water.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7927251 08/07/20 07:09 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I’ve watched every series of The Walking Dead, I’m prepared for the apocalypse.

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: skinnerback] #7927261 08/07/20 07:17 PM
Payne Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Originally Posted by skinnerback
I’ve watched every series of The Walking Dead, I’m prepared for the zombie apocalypse.

ftfy

[Linked Image]
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7927266 08/07/20 07:19 PM
Gringocazador Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Years ago I worked with a guy that was a doomsday'r.

He ask me this once. He said Billy, you like guns and you hunt a lot. I said I do. He said when have to fight in the street to survive, what is the most deadly weapon you have or would use. I said, never thought about it.

He said, 22 long rifle, you can fill you pockets with thousands of rounds. The more rounds you can carry the better off you are, just remember that. Make sure you have a 22 long rifle and thousands of rounds.

I still don't own one. He expounded a lot more and eventhough he was half a bubble off, some of the survival things he said made sense.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: Gringocazador] #7927268 08/07/20 07:22 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Gringocazador

He ask me this once. He said Billy, you like guns and you hunt a lot. I said I do. He said when have to fight in the street to survive, what is the most deadly weapon you have or would use. I said, never thought about it.

He said, 22 long rifle, you can fill you pockets with thousands of rounds. The more rounds you can carry the better off you are, just remember that. Make sure you have a 22 long rifle and thousands of rounds.

I still don't own one. He expounded a lot more and eventhough he was half a bubble off, some of the survival things he said made sense.

I'm thinking a PMR30 and lots of rounds.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7927367 08/07/20 08:46 PM
C
Cool Mo D Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I guess I'm SOL, as i don't have any ammo or guns to put them in.Maybe I can come to some of y'alls house?? confused2

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: Gringocazador] #7927385 08/07/20 09:01 PM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend

For hunting and living off the land yes a 22LR with thousands of rounds is a great idea. I have several and I have several thousands of rounds for it.

However, being the deadliest weapon for fighting in the street it is not. Even makeshift body armor will stop a 22LR pretty effortlessly. It doesn't matter how many thousands of rounds you have in your pocket, if you can't stop the threat in front of you, it is useless.

[Linked Image]

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: skinnerback] #7927386 08/07/20 09:02 PM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend

But have you read my how to book on how to survive the Zombie Apocalypse?

[Linked Image]

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: KRoyal] #7927423 08/07/20 09:35 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by KRoyal

For hunting and living off the land yes a 22LR with thousands of rounds is a great idea. I have several and I have several thousands of rounds for it.

However, being the deadliest weapon for fighting in the street it is not. Even makeshift body armor will stop a 22LR pretty effortlessly. It doesn't matter how many thousands of rounds you have in your pocket, if you can't stop the threat in front of you, it is useless.

I don't think anyone could live all the time being completely covered with body armor. I can barely handle wearing a IIIA vest, a ceramic plate, a helmet, a neck shield and a IIIA face shield for more than about 30-45 minutes. During the summer, forget about it. I don't think body armor would prove very practical in a long term survival situation. Maybe an entry vest with IIIA soft that can be easily put on and taken off but then that leaves a lot, for a person with a scoped 10/22, to hit.

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: Tbar] #7927444 08/07/20 09:58 PM
B
bucksnbass357 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Tbar
I have a couple of million gallons of fresh water out front and a Big Berkey water filter. Also have a couple of rain barrels.
Plenty of deer, pigs, geese, ducks,

[Linked Image]

Great choice on the Big Berkey

2 of those and plenty of extra filters and you are good to go

You probably already know this, but if you will run any lake or pond water through a cheap gravity filter first, your Berkey filters will last much longer

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: Cool Mo D] #7927734 08/08/20 02:35 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Cool Mo D
I guess I'm SOL, as i don't have any ammo or guns to put them in.Maybe I can come to some of y'alls house?? confused2

Depends...can ya cook and clean well? grin

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Could we survive?? [Re: 7mag] #7927822 08/08/20 04:40 AM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
This whole debacle that is 2020 has certainly woken up a few people I know. We have definitely changed a few things about our daily life, and will continue them no matter how "normal" everything becomes. We no longer buy it to use it, we now replace it when we use it. It was method I used when I was single. Always keep the cupboards full and rotate the stock. My wife, over the years, let me get complacent about this since she does most of the shopping. It even rippled out into my hobbies over the years. Life changes things. She now sees the value in my old method and now the cabinets are full all the time, I'm keeping the freezer full. Same with fuel. We have 4 vehicles that are roadworthy. I remember deciding on which one to use based on which had the most fuel at the time. No more, none are allowed to get lower than a 1/2 tank now. My circle of friends is small, but each family, on their own, has pretty much adopted the same mindset. Some have more skills and resources than others, the point is it seems the same mindset exists across a lot more people now. People are waking up to just how fragile our way of life really is.

Take this thread for example. While I don't post as much as many do, I've been a member around here longer than a few people. I remember when "prepper" was a derogatory term around here. Yet I haven't seen one truly negative statement or joke made on the subject in this thread. Post Apocalyptic Survival fictional literature is even being discussed seriously. I find the evolution interesting.

Don't think for one second that a whole lot of these city dwellers being spoken of in this thread haven't adopted a new way of thinking either. They are considering different scenarios previously thought of as absurd, or not considered at all. Sound familiar? Many who previously hadn't, will now have plans too. As we know weapons are being sold at record pace, have been for several years now, ammo is scarce, components to make ammo are as well. This speaks volumes! I listend to Rick Roberts on the way home today and almost his entire show was about the gun and ammo shortage. It started out about the NRA being sued, but the callers pushed it in a different direction. This is afternoon talk on WBAP.

All of these EMP scenarios being discussed along with almost every piece of PAS genre literature I've digested always hinged on one common premise, a sudden collapse of societal structure that takes the masses by surprise. That element of surprise now only exists in the truly gullible or narcissistic of society. So all the same rules would not apply.These are things to consider. We can all run practice scenarios thou our alleged brains, and we should. Chance favors the prepared mind. But the reality is even most here could not fathom the reality of a scenario such as am EMP, or similar sudden widespread disruption of our way of life. What we've seen recently doesn't even register on that scale.

But I digress. As I said, it is interesting seeing this topic being discussed in a civil and even constructive manner here. It wasn't that long ago such a topic would have been shut down by now.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: KRoyal] #7927826 08/08/20 04:55 AM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted by KRoyal

But have you read my how to book on how to survive the Zombie Apocalypse?

Max Brooks has a great one. Very entertaining read. https://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Survi...max+brooks&qid=1596862512&sr=8-5

When preparing for the pocsiclypse, whatever its cause, everyone not in your group is a zombie.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Could we survive?? [Re: Gringocazador] #7927927 08/08/20 01:40 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
You don't own a .22? Man, you are missing out on life! My .22s are my favorites. You can shoot. 22 all day long for less than the cost of 20 rounds of most rifle calibers.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide