Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by TKandMike
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted by Nathan Nelson
It’s not the recoil it’s the muzzle bast. Invest in a suppressor.

This gets my vote.

X2 cuts noise and recoil.

Good ear protection might be a lot cheaper and produce similar results.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: .223 subs for Doe [Re: chickenfriedbackstrap] #7915977 07/28/20 02:38 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
.223 subs work great on does as long as you make close range head shots. smile ani

Re: .223 subs for Doe [Re: chickenfriedbackstrap] #7915987 07/28/20 02:45 PM
J
jdk1985 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
am I the only one wondering why this only matters for doe?

Instagram @justinkingwoodworking
Re: .223 subs for Doe [Re: Nathan Nelson] #7916185 07/28/20 05:34 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Nathan Nelson
It’s not the recoil it’s the muzzle bast. Invest in a suppressor.

I would completely agree with this.
A 223 doesn't have enough recoil really to measure.

And if it is truly recoil, then buy a heavy barrel 223 and then there will be no measurable recoil.

My son was shooting a 223 at 5 accurately and killed his first deer a couple days after turning 6 with a single shot H&R 223.
I'd suggest starting the child out with a pellet gun, then a 22, then a 22 mag or 17, then a 222 or 223. If you gradually work them in to larger calibers I don't think you will have a problem.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: .223 subs for Doe [Re: chickenfriedbackstrap] #7916187 07/28/20 05:35 PM
S
Single Shot Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
You have a PM

Re: .223 subs for Doe [Re: ntxtrapper] #7916191 07/28/20 05:40 PM
B
Black02z28 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I shoot deer with 200 grain subsonic bullets in a 300 blackout with great success. They are specially designed to open up at subsonic velocities and make a devastating wound channel which they do. Much more than any of the dozens of deer I've killed with a bow. These are not anything you can use in a 223. This is a bad idea in that caliber. If they won't do this, don't use it.

[Linked Image]

What bullet is that? The Subsonic .300 BO Im shooting is supposed to do the same thing but they are actually really performing poorly. Im shooting a Horniday

Last edited by Black02z28; 07/28/20 05:41 PM. Reason: i kant spel
Re: .223 subs for Doe [Re: Black02z28] #7916224 07/28/20 06:13 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Black02z28
I shoot deer with 200 grain subsonic bullets in a 300 blackout with great success. They are specially designed to open up at subsonic velocities and make a devastating wound channel which they do. Much more than any of the dozens of deer I've killed with a bow. These are not anything you can use in a 223. This is a bad idea in that caliber. If they won't do this, don't use it.

[Linked Image]

What bullet is that? The Subsonic .300 BO Im shooting is supposed to do the same thing but they are actually really performing poorly. Im shooting a Horniday

Maker Rex.

Re: .223 subs for Doe [Re: ntxtrapper] #7916237 07/28/20 06:24 PM
B
Black02z28 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

Maker Rex.
[/quote]

thanks

Re: .223 subs for Doe [Re: RJH1] #7916268 07/28/20 06:49 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by RJH1
I am not trying to be a dick, but maybe your kid just isn't ready for deer hunting yet. Give it a year or 2

I don't mind applauding your approach. Waiting another year or two might require an unacceptable level of patience to wait until a child is big enough to become proficient with a rifle that's truly up to the task. The strong desire to see that "first kill" can no doubt become more overwhelming to the parent than to the child.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 07/28/20 07:00 PM.

Re: .223 subs for Doe [Re: Black02z28] #7916285 07/28/20 07:01 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Black02z28

Maker Rex.

thanks[/quote]

No problem.

Re: .223 subs for Doe [Re: mickeyhft] #7916363 07/28/20 08:20 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by mickeyhft
Some great advice here. I STRONLY recommend that if your child is not ready for the recoil for something like a 243 or 7mm/08 with standard or low recoil ammo, that you consider that as a significant sign they need to do A LOT more shooting before they are ready to shoot at and kill an animal. We forget sometimes, at least I do, that we used to shoot A LOT of other guns before we started deer hunting. Even if the child can shoot great on a range, that all changes when they are looking through the scope deciding to pull the trigger on an animal. I have seen and heard that go bad too, too, too many times with new hunters, kids and adults.

Forcing waiting, cultivating longing, can be a great way to motivate the child to work through their recoil discomfort, if they have a strong desire to hunt and harvest a deer. And managing our own parent hopes for our child can be difficult, we want for them what we've loved, but that can become a pressure that leads to problems. I know I have struggled with this and walked with many parents and kids through it.

One of the worst things that can happen to a beginning hunter is to wound, loose, or see an animal suffer, as you said in your (the original poster) concerns. This discussion has been had extensively for decades, hell maybe even centuries, and when its all said and done, all the opinions and exceptions are in, its just better to wait until the merging of the child's comfort with a long held standard caliber. There's a reason those calibers became the considered minimums and little has changed on that. There's just too much to risk, the life of an animal yes, but with the experience of the child being soooo important. We want to do everything we can to ensure that first kill goes well, it sets a standard that is of utmost importance.

I hesitate to say this, but this is so important to me, for kids and hunting culture's benefit, but this all comes from having personally guided over 400 deer kills and been in camp and learned from the daily experiences and stories of many thousands of guided kills. Even with the lower calibers, like 243, many, many deer would be lost, in the guiding situation which this is parent to child, without woodsmanship kills in recovery. Folks don't like to talk about that side, and I feel arrogant saying it this way, but I'm just trying to drive home the importance that sufficient caliber and ammo, that have a factored in margin of error because perfect shots WILL NOT ALWAYS happen, is one of the, if not the, most controllable factor in ensuring a good experience on that first shot.

A whole book could be written here and I've already rambled too much. In any case, best of luck to you and getting your child into hunting, you are doing great in your efforts!

Lots of really good advice on here. Its my understanding that micky has a lot of experience starting kids out hunting and I know he is well spoken on many topics so I would give his a second read. Ultimately you will do whatever you feel you should do but certainly lots of good advice to consider. This forum is great.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: .223 subs for Doe [Re: Texas Dan] #7916405 07/28/20 08:59 PM
D
decook Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I once dropped a deer dead in its tracks with a .22 short but would never use that as grounds to justify the round as acceptable for deer hunting.

Im not quite 60 yet but I cant think of a time when 22RF of any type was legal for deer. I never thought of trying it either so there's that. It's too bad that the law is written that excludes the 56 Spencer. That would be a hoot to hunt with. When did the rimfire law go into effect for Texas? Anyone know?

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: .223 subs for Doe [Re: decook] #7916411 07/28/20 09:06 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by decook
It's too bad that the law is written that excludes the 56 Spencer. That would be a hoot to hunt with.

With a name like Spencer it's got to be deadly, accurate, dependable, and a hoot to hunt with. grin

Re: .223 subs for Doe [Re: ntxtrapper] #7917084 07/29/20 01:14 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I

[Linked Image]

ntxtrapper, how does that bullet perform if you hit a big bodied buck dead center of the front shoulder in the heaviest part of that shoulder bone?
Do you still get complete penetration through to the vitals and does it break em down?

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: .223 subs for Doe [Re: mickeyhft] #7917094 07/29/20 01:25 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by mickeyhft
Some great advice here. I STRONLY recommend that if your child is not ready for the recoil for something like a 243 or 7mm/08 with standard or low recoil ammo, that you consider that as a significant sign they need to do A LOT more shooting before they are ready to shoot at and kill an animal. We forget sometimes, at least I do, that we used to shoot A LOT of other guns before we started deer hunting. Even if the child can shoot great on a range, that all changes when they are looking through the scope deciding to pull the trigger on an animal. I have seen and heard that go bad too, too, too many times with new hunters, kids and adults.

Forcing waiting, cultivating longing, can be a great way to motivate the child to work through their recoil discomfort, if they have a strong desire to hunt and harvest a deer. And managing our own parent hopes for our child can be difficult, we want for them what we've loved, but that can become a pressure that leads to problems. I know I have struggled with this and walked with many parents and kids through it.

One of the worst things that can happen to a beginning hunter is to wound, loose, or see an animal suffer, as you said in your (the original poster) concerns. This discussion has been had extensively for decades, hell maybe even centuries, and when its all said and done, all the opinions and exceptions are in, its just better to wait until the merging of the child's comfort with a long held standard caliber. There's a reason those calibers became the considered minimums and little has changed on that. There's just too much to risk, the life of an animal yes, but with the experience of the child being soooo important. We want to do everything we can to ensure that first kill goes well, it sets a standard that is of utmost importance.

I hesitate to say this, but this is so important to me, for kids and hunting culture's benefit, but this all comes from having personally guided over 400 deer kills and been in camp and learned from the daily experiences and stories of many thousands of guided kills. Even with the lower calibers, like 243, many, many deer would be lost, in the guiding situation which this is parent to child, without woodsmanship kills in recovery. Folks don't like to talk about that side, and I feel arrogant saying it this way, but I'm just trying to drive home the importance that sufficient caliber and ammo, that have a factored in margin of error because perfect shots WILL NOT ALWAYS happen, is one of the, if not the, most controllable factor in ensuring a good experience on that first shot.

A whole book could be written here and I've already rambled too much. In any case, best of luck to you and getting your child into hunting, you are doing great in your efforts!

A ton of great advise here without a doubt!!

I don't think enough can be said about the importance of bringing them along slowly with very small calibers (rimfires first) and gradually upsizing once they are completely comfortable with the present one they are shooting. It takes tons of time and money to do it for sure.

Also, I to believe that it is not the recoil with a 223 that is the issue here with a 9 year old...…….I think it is most likely the sound of the muzzle blast.

Re: .223 subs for Doe [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #7918079 07/30/20 05:06 AM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
[/quote]

ntxtrapper, how does that bullet perform if you hit a big bodied buck dead center of the front shoulder in the heaviest part of that shoulder bone?
Do you still get complete penetration through to the vitals and does it break em down?[/quote]

I don't shoot deer in the shoulder bone, I wait until broadside or quartering away and shoot behind it where the heart and lungs meet.

Re: .223 subs for Doe [Re: ntxtrapper] #7918181 07/30/20 12:20 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I

I don't shoot deer in the shoulder bone, I wait until broadside or quartering away and shoot behind it where the heart and lungs meet.

Thanks for the info sir.

I know on one of the places I used to guide on we preferred the hunters use larger caliber rifles and try and get at least one of the shoulders broken with a quartering to or quartering away shot to try and break the buck down and keep him from leaving the sendero into the brush. That place was so thick in spots that a deer could go down literally 10' off the sendero and you could not see them. Belly crawling through 'hog tunnels' through that black brush to find one and then getting them back out to the road could be a bit of a chore...………..and a painful one at that. lol

Re: .223 subs for Doe [Re: chickenfriedbackstrap] #7918367 07/30/20 03:04 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
The last 2 years my daughter has killed a doe, pig and buck with a AR in 556

50-75 yards

Just been my experience

I did get her a Ruger M77 in 22-250 to hunt with this year

Re: .223 subs for Doe [Re: chickenfriedbackstrap] #7918600 07/30/20 06:41 PM
Z
zornhunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Z
Just my 2 cents...................

I too had a 9 yr old last year that just couldnt get used to the recoil. Did some research last year before deer season to see what i could come up with for him to shoot comfortably and found the 87 grain custom lite loads from Hornady. He is shooting a 243 @ 100 yds or less. First pig, boom no hesitation right thru the shoulder and clean kill. First doe, "deer fever" got him and he missed. Big management 8pt walks out, made a good shot, deer ran about 50 yds and piled up in the creek. There was no blood from the buck and we really had to search for him. Found the bullet did not do a complete pass thru and was under the skin on opposite side of entry. In my opinion, the load does great under 100 yds from our experience. Over that, not so much.
A whole lotta Training on a 22 LR does help with trigger pull and the anticipation of the shot as well.

Re: .223 subs for Doe [Re: zornhunter] #7918632 07/30/20 07:40 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by zornhunter
A whole lotta Training on a 22 LR does help with trigger pull and the anticipation of the shot as well.

Heavier guns are easier to hold steady, which makes practice with a more lightweight .22 an even greater exercise.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide