THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Hicksbuilt
Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
Originally Posted by Hicksbuilt
Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
I have put a few guys through IEC. Crazy that some of them will do three years and then drop it, and never get a license. Stick it out.
I have only known one that dropped it because he went ahead and got his license.
Learn how electricity works (IEC will help with this). I know journeyman that are clueless and could get themselves killed.
When someone shows you something, look it up and learn why.

Looking ahead...
When it comes time for the journeyman test, take it as soon as you can. You need to live the test. What I mean is every hour in the truck on the road (if not driving), sitting at home on days off, break time, etc, study. And study as if you were trying for 100%. I have heard too many guys say, "I only need a 70 percent" and they get a 60. When I did my journeyman test, I could have easily passed the masters test, I just had to wait four years (now only two years) to do that.

skinnerback nailed it, memorize everything. When I was studying I had 100 index cards that I did everyday with NEC tables, sections, chapters, definitions, etc. I would go through them, then flip them over and do them again. Take bunches of practice test. Do not just blow through them on guesses, sit and take it as if it were the real thing, look up the answers.

Thanks. So the guy who dropped early and got his license. Would you recommend that if possible?

That is a personal call on where you stand. The guy I referenced had plenty of previous hours and was an amazing outgoing person, he quit the school after the first year. He was thoroughly bored to tears as he was learning on his own at a much faster pace. He went on to get three master licenses, this was back in the day before the state license, when you had to get a license in every major city. Clearly this worked for him.
Completing the program can be a feather in your cap, we encourage our guys to. If you start the schooling when you start as an electrician, the four year schooling fits the mold as it matches the 4 years the state requires for testing. Stopping a semester short just seems like a waste.
That being said, get that license ASAP. Finishing the school afterwards can be decided later.

I am a bit of an anomaly as an electrician apprentice, I have an engineering degree, so I think I could study and pass the test on my own if needed. But unless I start getting a lot of overtime at work, I won't have the hours to even sit for the test until close to the end of IEC. Thanks for all the info!

Unfortunately overtime is no help toward hours, TDLR only allows 2000 hours a year to count toward your hours to qualify for testing. This is probably a good time to hit their web site and see what you are up against.
You sound like a guy that will outrun the IEC program, like the example I gave previously.
Good luck to you sir.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: Hicksbuilt] #7914069 07/26/20 09:59 PM
N
nsmike Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Hicksbuilt stick with IEC. When you go on to get your master electrician license, should you want to go into business for yourself, the combination of IEC and having an engineering degree will help you get you first insurance policy.

for every stereotype there's a prototype don't be the prototype
Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: Hicksbuilt] #7914917 07/27/20 05:19 PM
H
Hicksbuilt Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Unfortunately overtime is no help toward hours, TDLR only allows 2000 hours a year to count toward your hours to qualify for testing. This is probably a good time to hit their web site and see what you are up against.
You sound like a guy that will outrun the IEC program, like the example I gave previously.
Good luck to you sir. [/quote]
Ah bummer. And I will, I definitely havent read as much as I should about the IEC or licensing yet, thanks for the reminder.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Re: Any Electricians here? [Re: nsmike] #7914919 07/27/20 05:20 PM
H
Hicksbuilt Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Originally Posted by nsmike
Hicksbuilt stick with IEC. When you go on to get your master electrician license, should you want to go into business for yourself, the combination of IEC and having an engineering degree will help you get you first insurance policy.

Good to know, thanks for the encouragement!

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide