Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Memorial Day Tribute #7848693 05/23/20 05:23 PM
dogcatcher Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity

[Linked Image]

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7848695 05/23/20 05:24 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
The author is Joe De Cree, a retired Special Forces officer.

MEMORIAL DAY
The rain drips off the peak of my cap;
Speckles my vision.
The marching band plays in G Major but I hear only minor chords.
Old Glory passes by and I make the automatic but heartfelt salute.
I attend the ball games and barbeques
But I am not really there.
I want to leave so as not to bring down the party.
I am remembering. Remembering and feeling.
As I visit flag adorned graves I drift to other days.
The older I get the more keenly I feel the sting that is Memorial Day.
The parade of faces and names begins again: Ox, Moge, Vaughn, Chief, and the rest.
All good men. All gone. All cut down violently.
Civilians cannot understand.
I go off by myself. In my mind we prep for another patrol.
We kit up. We check comms. We return to that lethal headspace that our families suspect but don’t know.
I get the thumbs up from the team and we walk the walk again.
The enemy tries to surprise but we are too fast, too practiced.
Rifle fire, butt stroke, knofe blades flashing, lethal hand strikes. We play that symphony again.
We sweep through.
I check my men. Ox, moge, Vaughn, Chief. We are all here. They are fine.
Consolidate, prepare to repell, call it in. We are victorious because the only realy victory is living through it with your brothers. Else is failure.
Politicians and civilians think otherwise.
Lord Forgive them their ignorance. We die that they may keep it.
Academics pose irrelevant questions about the good men on the other side. They too have family.
I care not a whit. I neither mourn their losses nor revel in their death. Their death that is my fault.
What do academics know of death, life, and brotherhood? Such things are not in books. They are in gunfire.
I see my brothers thru the smokey veil now. I try to walk through but cannot.
They go back to their patrol base and disappear back into the rain as Old Glory passes by.
I smile the grim and sardonic smile of every grunt.
I have been left behind again. They go forward.
I will see them again next year.
Taps sounds. I am asked if I want another hot dog and which game I want to watch.
The meat is tasteless. I mechanically watch the game. The centerfielder is good.
Chief liked baseball, I recall.
Memorial Day-thank God it only comes once a year.

[Linked Image]
Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7848696 05/23/20 05:25 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
A poem from the Civil War

About "The Same Canteen"
by Private Miles O'Reilly

There are bonds of all sorts in this world of ours,
Fetters of friendship and ties of flowers,
And true lover's knots, I ween;
The girl and the boy are bound by a kiss,
But there's never a bond, old friend, like this,
We have drank from the same Canteen!

It was sometimes water, and sometimes milk,
And sometimes apple-jack "fine as silk;"
But whatever the tipple has been
We shared it together in bane or bliss,
And I warm to you, friend, when I think of this,
We drank from the same Canteen!

The rich and great sit down to dine,
They quaff to each other in sparkling wine,
From glasses of crystal and green;
But I guess in their golden potations they miss
The warmth of regard to be found in this,

We have shared our blankets and tents together,
And have marched and fought in all kinds of weather,
And hungry and full we have been;
Had days of battle and days of rest,
But this memory I cling to and love the best,

For when wounded I lay on the center slope,
With my blood flowing fast and so little hope
Upon which my faint spirit could lean;
Oh! then I remember you crawled to my side,
And bleeding so fast it seemed both must have died,

[Linked Image]
Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7848697 05/23/20 05:25 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7848699 05/23/20 05:26 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
flag

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7848709 05/23/20 05:37 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Monsoon Rain:
Someone's gonna die tonight
Beneath the jungle moon
The shadows hide the enemy
That will claim a young life soon
This war is unforgiving
No mercy will be shown
And upon the wings of sadness
A silver bird will fly him home
We who live shall weep forever
And remember the stench of war
But we got our recompense
When we joined the mighty Corps
Vietnam was but a stepping-stone
For so many warriors young and brave
As they stepped boldly into eternity
For their Mighty God to save
We were young and restless once
We fought and died for freedoms gain
And the gray heavens weep relentlessly
In the form of the Monsoon rains

Boon 2007

[Linked Image]
Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7848714 05/23/20 05:47 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
My tour started 3 June 1968, these are the men of Charlie Company First Cavalry Division that gave all during my tour.

1. Earnie L Burgamy 20
2. Alan J Smith 22
3. George Fischer 23
4. Gregory B Whitmore 20
5. Allan Schmidt 20
6. David Dickman 21
7. Thomas Danowski 27
8. James Delaney 20
9. John "Whitey" Kocak 23
10. William Pahr Jr. 26
11. Rex Blisard 19
12. Brad Hartman 19
13. Carl Alexander 19
14. Michael "Doc Trip" Fontaine 18
15. Joe Grayson 25
16. Bernard Hitro 20
17. Charles "Bam-Bam" Briddell 24
18. James Woodworth 25
19. Robert Howell 20
20. Danny Dodd 24
21. Ronald Groves 20
22. Robert Maddox 23
23. Russell Woollard 20
24. Scott Hamilton 21
25. William Riggs 20
26. Howard Thomas 20
27. Huey Williams 25
28. Lester Danchetz 20
29. Edward Griggs III 20
30. Jerry Stout 20
31. William Bauer 22
32. Ignacio "Pineapple" Duro 20
33. Garry Hayes 20
34. Gabriel Madrid 23
35. Randy Oliver 20
36. Kenneth Prejean 22
37. Albert Whittle 20
38. John Stewart 19
39. James Spurley 20
40. John McAndrews 20

You will not be forgotten.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7848720 05/23/20 05:59 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
The men that "Gave their All" from my unit during my year in Vietnam. There is a story about all of them, but it will only really mean something to their fellow combat soldiers and their family. But some of the stories need to be told.

Earnie Burgamy, was a short timer, he had survived TET 68, Ashau Valley, the siege of Hue and other major battles to be killed by a booby trap.

Thomas Danowski, a lifer with 7 years, as gung ho as you could get, he was my Platoon Sergeant at the time of his death.

James Delaney, a red headed kid from Arizona, one of my coffee drinking buddies and a helluva a pointman. He could spot a booby trap a 100 yards out, but that fateful day he missed a machine gunner.

John "Whitey" Kocak, also known as "Q-Tip", he was a skinny Lieutenant with white hair. His body made it home on Christmas Day of 1968. I replaced him as acting Lieutenant of the Platoon.

Brad Hartman, real name Omar Bradley Hartman, he was my RTO at the time of he was KIA, killed by a dud mortar round that hit him in the head.

Russell Woollard, he was already a Sergeant at the time, 20 years old and from Shamrock Texas, a new guy with about a month in country. He and I were talking when he got hit by a Chicom Claymore, luckily I was sitting behind a tree. We were talking about what we were going to do when we got home from Vietnam, and it ended there.

The last story is about John "Mac" McAndrews, from Indianapolis, he was my replacement, a few days before he was KIA I was the Platoon Sergeant, I left the boonies and he became the Platoon Sergeant a few days later he was KIA, killed by a sniper. He left behind a widow and a son that became a Marine. He made it home before I did.

[Linked Image]
Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7848723 05/23/20 06:06 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
https://pvins.wordpress.com/2020/05...PRJUIM8tIKBHTwyv4kNN-Q_DUXEDHqJFW7zh8q0s

Memorial Day – A Son’s Reflection
Posted on May 22, 2020by vcinsurance
20190810_191046
Roy Knight, of Valley Center, by his father’s final resting place in Cool, Texas. It’s been a long journey, and he shares his story below.

It is different this year… and yet it is not. For some of us, every day is Memorial Day, the day our nation sets aside to honor those “who gave the last full measure of devotion” sacrificing their lives in battle. For many who lost a loved one, a friend, a comrade, every day is Memorial Day, the weight of loss is ever present. Though no longer “unbearable,” because we must bear it, it is always there.

Maj Roy A. Knight, Jr. April 1966
Maj Roy A. Knight, Jr. 602nd Fighter Squadron (Commando) USAF

I was ten years old in 1967 when I said goodbye to my father, Maj Roy A. Knight, Jr., for what I thought was going to be a year, as he left to fight in his war – Vietnam. He did not return until August of last year, 52 years after he boarded his flight in January 1967 at Love Field in Dallas. As a USAF fighter pilot flying the A-1E Skyraider with the 602nd Fighter Squadron (Commando), his war was intense and over in five months when he was shot down attacking a target in northern Laos, May 19, 1967. He was carried as Missing In Action until he was declared Killed In Action in 1974, along with all other MIA’s who had not been returned at the end of the war (save one who was known to be a POW but who had not been turned over by the North Vietnamese).

Thanks to the efforts of the active duty military personnel and Dept of Defense civilians working in the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency, my father’s remains were located, recovered and identified last year. This followed years of interviews, excavations and research, the first excavations being in the 1980’s and 1994. Dad was returned to his beloved Texas and laid to rest underneath the post oaks in a small cemetery near his boyhood home, next to his brothers, mother and father, including his oldest brother, Jack, who was killed in Burma during World War II. (The Knight family has been observing Memorial Day in a personal way for a long time.)

It has been almost nine months since we buried Dad. It is still new and taking some time to get comfortable with. I had given up hope that we would ever complete this journey. I was ten years old when it began.

MajRKnightJr
Maj Knight and his A-1E Skyraider – Udorn RTAFB, Thailand

The last physical sighting of Col Roy Knight by his wingman was when his plane crashed on the Ho Chi Minh Trail in northern Laos. No real way of knowing if he somehow got out of the airplane and survived. Or was he captured and executed? A story without an ending that lasted for 52 years. This limbo condition of the MIA family is rather unique and while I am so very happy that we have brought Dad home, it is somewhat tempered by the knowledge that there are other sons and daughters who continue to wait. There was never the “closure” one usually has when losing a loved one. There was always the unanswered question. What we expected to be temporary lasted for 52 years. And then, through the grace of God, and the extraordinary hard work in miserable conditions of those wonderful DPAA troops, the waiting was over. After a month of removing earth and sifting through it, they recovered human remains at the crash site. Those remains were taken to the Central Identification Laboratory in Hawaii and after weeks of analysis and peer confirmation, they were identified as my father. Dad was found and brought home

While there is certainly a finality in the homecoming and laying to rest of my father, an ending, as it were, there is not really closure per se.

And in fact, in many ways, it is a beginning. A new paradigm. For the first time, on Memorial Day, I know where Dad is. There is a place that I can go that has carved stone with his name on it. There is a place where my children and their children can go and read his name. And I can tell them, while I still can, about my Dad. My hero. The very embodiment of what a man should be. The journey is over.

Memorial Day is different this year. After decades of grief never fully realized, there is the opportunity to finally lay it all down. But it is also the most heart-swelling, unbelievably uplifting experience. I have decades of working on the POW/MIA issue with people who did not have “skin in the game” as I did, but who worked heroically to bring about a full accounting of our missing men. I have the stories of his recovery told to me by those who were there. I have the image in my heart of a young forensic archeologist gathering the recovery team on Dad’s crash site in Laos on his birthday as they began the search. Those young warriors raised their water bottles to one of their brothers, long lost, and sang “Happy Birthday” to him. There were the unprecedented efforts of both the USAF and Southwest Airlines to allow and facilitate my brother flying Dad on that last leg home to Dallas. There was the motorcade out of Dallas to our hometown of Weatherford that stopped city streets and interstates as we passed.

There were the flags and the firetrucks on overpasses. The USAF Honor Guard and the current generation of fighter pilots who flew over him as he was laid to rest. And there were the people. Those wonderful Americans. They didn’t know who was passing by, but they knew it was a fallen warrior. They came out by the hundreds, lining the streets, pulling over and getting out of their cars, hands over their hearts. There were the people who knew us who traveled thousands of miles on a moment’s notice to be there. And those wonderful family and friends who helped us carry the burden with their love and support for all of those years. Most importantly, I shared these special moments with my beautiful wife who walked this road with me for more than 45 of those years, and our two boys who grew up with this ever presence of a person they never knew, and with my grandchildren who are learning of their legacy.

It is different this year… And yet it is not. My identity for most of my life was the boy, the son of a warrior who was lost. And then he was found. It is different.

Dad will always be the tall, handsome 36-year-old fighter pilot and a large part of me will always be the ten-year-old boy who said goodbye. He is finally home. The physical reminders of him that I still have, the clothes and items he once owned grow old and, sadly, deteriorate no matter how hard you try to preserve them. But what will not be diminished for him or any of those lost on the field of battle, is the memory of those who knew them and loved them, whether son or mother, friend or comrade. They remain a part of us, adding to what makes us who we are. They live on in our hearts and when their name is spoken. And every day is Memorial Day…

More Info http://www.veterantributes.org/TributeDetail.php?recordID=1180

https://www.dpaa.mil/News-Stories/N...accounted-for-from-vietnam-war-knight-r/

https://www.legacy.com/funeral-home...8969&v=batesville&view=guestbook

[Linked Image]
Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7848737 05/23/20 06:35 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
“Far from being the Great Satan, I would say that we are the Great Protector. We have sent men and women from the armed forces of the United States to other parts of the world throughout the past century to put down oppression. We defeated Fascism. We defeated Communism. We saved Europe in World War I and World War II. We were willing to do it, glad to do it. We went to Korea. We went to Vietnam. All in the interest of preserving the rights of people. And when all those conflicts were over, what did we do? Did we stay and conquer? Did we say, “Okay, we defeated Germany. Now Germany belongs to us? We defeated Japan, so Japan belongs to us”? No. What did we do? We built them up. We gave them democratic systems which they have embraced totally to their soul. And did we ask for any land? No, the only land we ever asked for was enough land to bury our dead. And that is the kind of nation we are.”

-Colin Powell

Proverbs 2
Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7848752 05/23/20 07:07 PM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Stub; 05/23/20 07:17 PM.

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7848758 05/23/20 07:17 PM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I spent my years in the military in submarines. Every fallen soldier is remembered today, but some are special every day.
[Linked Image]

Beer and whiskey, 'cause you can't drink bacon!!
Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7848767 05/23/20 07:41 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7848810 05/23/20 08:24 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7848823 05/23/20 08:34 PM
S
Sailor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Hand salute..………
Ready...………..
Two...……... flag

Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7848831 05/23/20 08:38 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
flag

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7848868 05/23/20 09:16 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Now showing on TCM.

Followed by Green Berets

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7848905 05/23/20 10:27 PM
glens Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Thank You Brave Souls that have given your lives to protect and keep us safe. You will never be forgotten. [Linked Image]

Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7848921 05/23/20 10:43 PM
J
jakebunch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Dogcatcher, thank you for posting all the above that is a reminder for the great majority of us that have no concept of what a few have given for the benefit of us all.

Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: jakebunch] #7848936 05/23/20 10:58 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by jakebunch
Dogcatcher, thank you for posting all the above that is a reminder for the great majority of us that have no concept of what a few have given for the benefit of us all.

[Linked Image]

Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7848981 05/23/20 11:26 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Now playing on channel 256. Someone needs to start a me thread on patriotic songs.

[Linked Image]

Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7848992 05/23/20 11:31 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

[Linked Image]

Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7849000 05/23/20 11:46 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

[Linked Image]

Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7849007 05/23/20 11:51 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Memorial Day Tribute [Re: dogcatcher] #7849042 05/24/20 12:27 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide