Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why would anyone want a .270? [Re: Lou270] #777693 06/29/09 02:10 AM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Quote:

You will find .270/06 ammo anywhere ammo might be sold and that includes gas stations out in the middle of no where. You may or may not find other calibers depending on the region.

I see this come up as a reason too choose one caliber over another all the time. And while it may be true that common calibers can be found almost anywhere that sells ammo, I just don't buy it as a reason (in and of itself) to choose one caliber over another. When I'm going hunting, my ammo goes in the rifle case with my rifle. Then more gets packed into my pack, and a few more in my other gear. 3 separate places for my ammo, no less than 20rnds total. The only time I've ever had to dig into my "reserve" is when I go on a pig killing spree and deplete what's in my gun. I've never had to dig into the reserve in my gear, only extras in my pack.

This is where I'm gonna get a little opinionated on y'all. If you leave your ammo at home.....you simply didn't care enough about the hunt to plan properly. Flame me all you want, but that's the way I feel. Blame it on your life being so busy, or any other excuse you like. But ammo and a rifle are THE two things I can't hunt without (unless I'm bow hunting of course), and thus the first things that get dealt with when preparing for a hunt, and the last thing check when loading up.

Quote:

"The .270 with tough barnes/nosler/trophy bonded bullets will penetrate more deeply than any 30-06 180-220 gr standard bullet of yester-year and easily break both shoulders of Elk sized critters."

Not a fair comparison. Those same premium bullets are available for the '06 too. How do they rate when comparing "apples to apples"? Just saying, whatever anyone loves is what they're gonna tell you is the best. And often facts get skewed to to make a case.

All that said, the data speaks for itself on trajectory and energy. The available factory loadings are even across the board. Not to mention what reloading can do for ya. The 7-08, 270, 280, and 30-06 are all so close that it's a matter of opinion when it comes to choice.

Jay

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Why would anyone want a .270? [Re: Texas Dan] #777694 06/29/09 02:13 AM
Curtis Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
If your going to look for a true 500 yd gun I would look for something other than a .270 or a 30-06. As far as being just a necked down 30-06, keep in mind that '06 parent cartridege spun out a lot of famous rounds still used today. Like 338-06 and the 250-06. I have seen some 600 yd shots with a 25-06 on hogs before and it performed very well. Both the 270 and the 30-06 are capable of such at that distance but not my personal preference.

For that kind of range over 400 yds I'd personally like to have a 300 Win(which mine kicks less than my 30-06 does with the same bullet weight) or maybe even the 7mm RUM. Kind of overkill for just a Texs whitetail but pretty darn flat shooting for that range and farther I think.

As far as worrying about recoil, I wouldn't worry so much about that until after you have shot it. The gun can be modified to handle recoil issues. Get you a better recoil pad to start and maybe get the stock cut to fit right just for you by a good gunsmith. That alone can make a good difference. That isn't enough then get a muzzle brake put on there. I like the srew on type and you can get a blank that will screw on if you decide to not use it. Some are fixed permanetly so you will have to talk with the gunsmith about what you want.

Double Arrow Bow Hunting
www.doublearrowbowhunting.com
Bow hunters welcome!
Whitetail-Axis-Blackbuck-Fallow-Barasingha-Scimitar Oryx
Located in Gonzales County.
Visit our Facebook page for current updates!

Re: Why would anyone want a .270? [Re: Curtis] #777695 06/29/09 04:23 AM
R
Rowney Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
The 270 is actually a necked down 30-03...Hence it has a slightly longer case. 2.54 to 2.49, than the 30-06

I love my 270, it will kill anything I can afford to hunt.

As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks--Thomas Jefferson
Re: Why would anyone want a .270? [Re: devildog28] #777696 06/29/09 04:57 AM
moderno Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Why would anyone not want to have one. As some of the previous posters have said, the late Jack O'connor was the foremost advocate of the 270. If it was good enough for him, it is good enough for me. I've had a lot of guns over the years and I have always come back to the 270. It has never let me down yet!

Bartender, bring me anything except brake fluid, cause I don't plan on stopping!
Re: Why would anyone want a .270? [Re: psycho0819] #777697 06/29/09 06:31 AM
L
Lou270 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
Quote:

[This is where I'm gonna get a little opinionated on y'all. If you leave your ammo at home.....you simply didn't care enough about the hunt to plan properly. Flame me all you want, but that's the way I feel. Blame it on your life being so busy, or any other excuse you like. But ammo and a rifle are THE two things I can't hunt without (unless I'm bow hunting of course), and thus the first things that get dealt with when preparing for a hunt, and the last thing check when loading up.

I was thinking more along the lines of airlines. They have a way of foiling the best laid plans. My buddy lost his ammo out of his luggage on the way to a bear hunt in Canada. It can happen. I think they even left him a card telling him they did it.

Quote:

"Not a fair comparison. Those same premium bullets are available for the '06 too. How do they rate when comparing "apples to apples"? Just saying, whatever anyone loves is what they're gonna tell you is the best. And often facts get skewed to to make a case.."

I was not intending to point out that the .270 was better than the .30-06 for large game given today's ammo. I was pointing out that the 06 with heavy bullets at lower velocity has always been considered a good heavy game load. The .270 more than closed this gap in 1950s with the advent of the Nosler Partition so even light bullets at high velocity didn't break up on shoulder bones. The 06 with today's modern loads does maintain a slight advantage on heavy game just like the .270 mantains a slight advantage in terms of velocity/trajectory with todays high energy loads in open country. If the .270 was considered an ideal long range deer cartridge a few years back w/ 130s at 3100 fps, the .30-06 is on par with that load using 150s at 3100 fps. These days there are .270 loads that surpass 3200 fps with 130s (even in factory loads), but that doesn't mean that all of a sudden what worked a few years ago is not sufficient because there is something new. Point is 3-400 yards is still 3-400 yards (and a long way to shoot) and a deer is still a deer. If you can penetrate through an Elk with yesterdays 180-200 gr bullets at 2700 fps out of an 06 or with todays 130-140 grain bullets over 3000 fps out of a .270 you will have a dead Elk.

Quote:

All that said, the data speaks for itself on trajectory and energy. The available factory loadings are even across the board. Not to mention what reloading can do for ya. The 7-08, 270, 280, and 30-06 are all so close that it's a matter of opinion when it comes to choice."

Well said and couldn't agree more. I tend to like them all and own at least one of the each above except the 7-08. I had one of those to in Remington M7, but liked it so much I gave it to my buddies wife in PA because they always have a place for me to hunt when I go to visit.

Lou

Re: Why would anyone want a .270? [Re: Lou270] #777698 06/29/09 07:02 AM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Fair enough.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Re: Why would anyone want a .270? [Re: psycho0819] #777699 06/29/09 09:34 AM
D
devildog28 Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
After reading all this and the problems I'm having with my POS Marlin I'm chomping the bit to get a 270 now!

When the Marlin gets back from it SECOND trip to the factory in under 2 months more than likely it'll be sold and the funds going towards the 798 .270

Re: Why would anyone want a .270? [Re: devildog28] #777700 06/30/09 05:24 AM
B
ballistx Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
In the Selway, in Idaho, I had the occasion to take a doe at an estimated 600+ yards. I didn't have a range finder at that time but the hold over was for just over 600 yards and it hit dead on. Using a Rem 700 30-06 with 165 grain Nosler Partition handload it penetrated both shoulders and came out with the standard quarter sized hole. Took a small buck at 35 yards through both shoulders when we went in to get the doe. Exactly the same results.

In the big hills on the way to Sun Valley I had to track down a front leg wounded buck. I followed him for 2 miles and the last opportunity was when he was climbing the wall of a canyon directly ahead of me. I estimated it at 600+ yards and held accordingly. I hit him right behind the shoulders direclty on the spine. The bullet penetrated through the spine, down through the chest cavity and exited out the brisket with the standard quarter size hole. That was with a Rem 700 in 243 using the 100 Grain Nosler Partition.

Is the 243 a recommended 600+ deer rifle? In my opinion, no. But is it adequate? It can do the job when called on.

I have (1) Rem 700 in 30-06, 270, 25-06, and (3) in 243. The nice thing about having them in the same model and in those calibers, I can practice, range time and varmint with the 243. Picking up any of the other 3 is merely a few rounds a few times at the range and I can use any one.

When going to the western states and hunting, the preferred one will be the 30-06. I will often take one of the others and use it but the "go to" is the 30-06 because it does have a little more at the longer range.

If I had the 30-06 and wanted one more, I would seriouly question why buy one that is so close in capability to the other. I would get the 243 just because it would give me the greater versatility. I bought the 25-06 because I got it for $35, legally, from a pawn shop. Couldn't pass that one up.

I guess what I am saying is that there won't be a wrong decision. Just be sure that you bring in all your considerations before making you decision.

And a less than optimum decision is just an excuse to get another rifle.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide