Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: BROW TINES [Re: JJH] #7781402 03/22/20 06:52 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by JJH
Related to this topic, I read of this study done by A&M-Kingsville, which concluded that culling does not work, which seems to conflict with the general consensus (including mine) and yet does not seem to have generated much reaction.

https://www.qdma.com/qdm-works-culling-doesnt/

I guess "not generated much reaction" is relative. There have been numerous threads on this forum about the study and they generated the normal cull/don't cull mixture of comments. The first I heard about the study was when it was presented last July at the TWA Annual Convention and most recently presented again at CKWRI meeting a couple weeks ago. In between it was presented at numerous other times/places. Several threads on here were either about it or referenced it. This particular thread may not of referenced the study but the comments by Bobo, Texbuck and Fishbait all reflected the concepts brought out in the study. IMO(for what its worth) is that the vast majority of hunters have always felt that culling helps alter the future genetics of the herd and many of those opinions still hold true after the study came out. However the study has helped convince some that in a wild deer herd culling for future genetic improvement isn't possible. Draeger, that oversaw the study, summarizes that even though culling does not help alter future genetics that there is a use for culling. A story in the TWA magazine ends with Draegers quote "cull for population control and not for genetic improvement."

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: BROW TINES [Re: DLALLDER] #7781467 03/22/20 07:38 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Thanks, freerange, guess I could/should have worded it better by saying "not much reaction, THAT I HAVE SEEN". Looks like you are much more plugged into this topic than I. And I appreciate your insight. I'll go back and look for the article in the TWA mag.

Re: BROW TINES [Re: JJH] #7781506 03/22/20 08:07 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by JJH
Thanks, freerange, guess I could/should have worded it better by saying "not much reaction, THAT I HAVE SEEN". Looks like you are much more plugged into this topic than I. And I appreciate your insight. I'll go back and look for the article in the TWA mag.

TWA magazine Nov 2019 has a good summary. Texas Buckeye started a thread that got into this topic a month or two ago and I think it was Nogalis Prairie that started the one in about Oct directly addressing the QDMA article. Keep in mind some of the articles about the study can be summaries and slanted by the author. If you are really into the topic I got an audio copy of Draegers presentation of the study that he gave at TWA last July and TWA probably can still send that to you. Its very thorough.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide