Forums46
Topics538,056
Posts9,732,504
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7762808 03/04/20 04:20 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I won’t badmouth RR’s GGGG granny’s chili recipe. No sir! Curious though. What kinda beans did she use?

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7762821 03/04/20 04:28 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I am a 7th generation Texan, ancestors going back to some of the first German immigrants. Growing up some chili had beans and some chili had no beans. I never heard the argument about no beans until the 1960's, and that was when the chili cookoffs started to really get attention. Most chili cookoffs have rules that state no beans. I don't give a flip about rules that are not at least as old as I am. so I will continue to cook my chili however I want it.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: dogcatcher] #7762844 03/04/20 04:41 PM
A
AMF Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
A
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
I am a 7th generation Texan, ancestors going back to some of the first German immigrants. Growing up some chili had beans and some chili had no beans. I never heard the argument about no beans until the 1960's, and that was when the chili cookoffs started to really get attention. Most chili cookoffs have rules that state no beans. I don't give a flip about rules that are not at least as old as I am. so I will continue to cook my chili however I want it.

KNOCK 'EM DOWN, ROOSTER!

Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7762849 03/04/20 04:45 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Duke107
Originally Posted by dogcatcher

KNOCK 'EM DOWN, ROOSTER!

Well... them rules are older than I am, but I agree, don't give a darn that some hippie in the 60's decided what constitutes "TEXAS" chili.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7762850 03/04/20 04:45 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
One thing about Texans is that we will do pretty much as we please. I’ve been cooking chili for many many years and until a couple decades ago, I used tomatoes and occasionally, beans. Now I cook a true Texas chili using a minimum number of ingredients and it’s very good stuff.

But the old stuff was good too, so I skirted the Texas chili rules by rolling out my Wendy’s chili recipe. And it’s dang good too. The recipe is below. Note the disclaimer.

Wendy’s Chili made with lean ground beef/venison, kidney beans and pinto beans, onions, garlic, jalapeño chilis, celery, bell pepper and tomato seasoned with a mild chili powder and cumin.

This recipe makes a LOT of chili! It fills my large Dutch Oven to the brim. Adjust accordingly to fit your needs.

This is NOT Texas chili! It is a really good facsimile of Wendy’s Chili, which is, by Texas standards, a delicious beefy, mild chili tomato soup with beans. It is safe to serve to crowds, perfect for pot luck dinners.

Prep Time 30 minutes (longer w dried beans)
Cook Time 2 hours
Total Time 2 hours 30 minutes (longer w dried beans)
Servings 24 servings (+\-)

Ingredients
* 2 lbs lean ground beef/venison
* 28 ounce can of tomato sauce
* 28 ounce can of kidney beans not drained (1/2 lb of dried beans simmered until almost done w juice)
* 28 ounce can of pinto beans not drained (1/2 lb of dried beans simmered until almost done w juice)
* 28 ounce can of whole tomatoes (hand squashed w juice)
* 1 large yellow onion diced
* 1 tablespoon minced garlic (8-10 cloves)
* 2 diced jalapeños (no seeds or veins)
* 2-3 stalks celery chopped
* 1 green bell pepper chopped
* 1 tablespoon cumin powder
* 1/4 cup mild chili powder
* 1 teaspoon black pepper
* 2 teaspoons salt
* 1 cup water

Instructions
1. In a heavy bottomed stockpot brown the ground meat and onions in bacon fat. Add garlic when almost done.
3. Add in the rest of the ingredients and bring to a slow boil.
4. Lower to a simmer and cook uncovered for 2 hours stirring occasionally.
5. Serve with Asian Hot Chili Oil (same as Wendy’s Hot Sauce), coarse shredded cheddar cheese, chopped onion, and jalapeño. Saltine crackers and/or Fritos optional.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7762856 03/04/20 04:48 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
well, I am a 5th generation Texan on my mother's side dating back to the 1830s, rich German migrants settling central Texas. My mother and my grandmother (born in the 1800s in Burnet county) made chili from a guesstamation of spices passed down many generations and none ever had beans cooked in with the chili. They both would usually have a separate pot of beans going along side the chili and a couple pans of cornbread in the oven ... most of the time the three were mixed AFTER they were all cooked separately, but never cooked together.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: redchevy] #7762893 03/04/20 05:29 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted by redchevy
Originally Posted by Thisisbeer
Ill pass on the google/Wikipedia definition of it not having beans.

Pass all you want. Texas chili doesn't have beans. That's not to say chili can't have beans. But texas style chili is a well known style of chili that almost unanimously doesn't contain beans. Chili can have beans, Texas style chili cannot. Both are good tasting chilis, just different. There are plenty of chili styles out there including Cincinnati-style, chile verde, Springfield-style, etc. some have beans, some don't include tomatoes, and some use brisket burnt ends. Anywhere you look for a definition of texas style chili it doesn't include beans. If you have a 150 year old recipe that has been passed down through the generations that includes beans that's awesome and sounds like a bowl of chili that I would love to try, but that doesn't represent all of Texas. In the modern world texas style chili is well defined. In short, chili can absolutely have beans, to be considered texas style it cannot. Put whatever you want in your chili if you enjoy it. At the end of the day that's all that matters.

LOL even in your rebuttal you don't close the door. a bunch a chest thumpers saying it cant have beans means nothing to me and I will keep on passing on that belief up

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to close the door. If you see my recipe at the front end of the thread it contains tomatoes which isn't typical of texas red chili either. My only point was to your statement you haven't seen an official decree of no beans in chili. There is a very wide spread agreed upon notion that it does not include beans.

Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7763366 03/05/20 12:26 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I won't even start on my ancestry and Texas, or how my family has made chili long before Terlinqua or any other chili cookoffs...

Texas Chili DOES NOT have beans in it, period. I do like chili with beans though.

Putting beans in chili and calling it Texas Chili, is the equivalent of putting tomatoes in a gumbo and calling it a Cajun gumbo LOL.

C'mon man, everybody knows that.... smile

Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7763712 03/05/20 01:27 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
[Linked Image]

texas Faith, Family and Freedom flag

Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7763875 03/05/20 03:46 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
what about a can of refried beans...?

Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: ETexas Hunter] #7763880 03/05/20 03:50 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by ETexas Hunter
what about a can of refried beans...?

Arkansas Chili.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7763941 03/05/20 04:47 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
My guess is there are as many Louisianans that make gumbo with tomatoes as there are Texans that make Texas chili with beans in it grin

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: redchevy] #7763963 03/05/20 05:16 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
My guess is there are as many Louisianans that make gumbo with tomatoes as there are Texans that make chili with beans in it grin

FIFY loser8

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: redchevy] #7764470 03/06/20 04:25 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
My guess is there are as many Louisianans that make gumbo with tomatoes as there are Texans that make Texas chili with beans in it grin

Creole Gumbo, yes/ Cajun Gumbo, noooo. roflmao Difference!

Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7764657 03/06/20 02:35 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
My favorite chili recipe right now is:
1.5 lbs chili meat
1 lb Owens regular breakfast sausage
1 cans Rotel (sometimes 2 cans)
1 onion diced
1 bell pepper diced
1 jalapeno diced
1 tbsp minced garlic
5-6 tbsp Adkins texas style chili seasoning
1 tbsp Fiesta fajita seasoning
2 beers (surprised nobody here has mentioned using beer in their chili)
maybe a little water if i think it needs it.

Brown meat
add everything else
let boil for an hour or so (more is better)

Or can brown meat and add all to a crock pot cook on low 6-8 hours

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7764670 03/06/20 02:50 PM
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I use beer when I make chili. It just doesn't go in the pot.

Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7764738 03/06/20 04:05 PM
pertnear Online Content
"Demolition Man"
Online Content
"Demolition Man"
I've made this with beef, venison, nilgai, buffalo & wild hog. Nilgai was the best! Follow directions carefully.
[Linked Image]
It's Texas chili so beans are a big "NO-NO" but if I only have a little chili left in the frig, add red kidney beans to stretch it for one more meal.

The North has double last names. The South has double first names.
Re: Teach me how to make Jen-you-wine Texas chili [Re: AMF] #7765039 03/06/20 10:40 PM
O
Ox190 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide