Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: short magnum fad [Re: txcornhusker] #77627 07/25/06 06:23 AM
H
HunterTed Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
H
My little brother bought a 300 wsm. I don't think he has shot it yet. I am hoping he gets to come deer hunting once this upcoming season, so I can see it and shoot it. I have heard both good and bad things about them. I thought about buying one, but I really don't see a need for it since I already own a 300 win mag. I guess it would be nice to have one just for the sake of having another gun in the safe.

I hope all the short mag calibers stick around and get some popularity, for the simple reason of having something else to talk about sittin around a campfire. If we all had a 30/06 and didn't shoot anything else it would be pretty boring.

I used to hunt with a bunch of guys in East Texas. All of em either had a 30/30 or a .270. I was the only one that had anything different. Made for some pretty interesting conversations. JMO.

Mathews Legacy
Mathews Ovation

Square Up Archery & Lightning Bowstrings Staff Shooter
Re: short magnum fad [Re: Bullard] #77628 07/25/06 09:24 AM
E
ericshup Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
I learned my lesson about 10 years ago. If Wal Mart dont carry the caliber or load, I won't shoot it. I had sighted my rifle in with winchester failsafes and thought I would buy another box on the way to the lease. (Opening Weekend)When I got to Stephenville, the only 308's left in the store were 180 grain - round nose - silvertips. Definitely not the same. Now I shoot either Winchester soft points or Rem Core-lokts. Those two brands/loads are gauranteed to be evrywhere you can go to hunt.

I don't shoot enough to justify handloading. If I had a setup, I would consider it.

My question to the owners of the "New" short mags is if it really shoots that much better than the original (.223 vs .223 WSSM, etc)? Does it offer extended range, more killing power, etc? Or was it just a new way to part us with our money? Not bashing, just asking.

I'm a Bomb Tech, if you see me running, ...catch up!
Re: short magnum fad [Re: ericshup] #77629 07/25/06 12:43 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I happen to be a firm believer in the "get one of each"
motto. Save your lunch money and buy it. I really don't
care what anyone shoots--if I think I want one--I'll save
up and buy it. Short Mag, 458, 222 or whatever.

Re: short magnum fad [Re: Wild Boar] #77630 07/25/06 12:47 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Only time will tell but dont be surprized if the short mags do a way with some of the long kick your a$$ in the dirt magnums.

Only if they can match or exceed their velocities. From the ballistics I've seen it's just not going to happen.
the 300 WSM barely exceeds the 30-06, and comes in just under the 300 win Mag and way under the 300 Weatherby.
The 223 WSM seems to be an even match for the 22-250. Didn't see much difference at all between the 243WSM and the standard 25-06. If your going to call it a Magnum, i would at least expect to see Magnum performance.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: short magnum fad [Re: ericshup] #77631 07/25/06 12:47 PM
E
exoticbob Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
E
i have experience with both, the 300wsm & the 25wssm. i sold the 300 wsm. i felt it did not have any advantange to what other rounds were already available. now onto the 25wssm - i love this gun. it for sure has lighter recoil than the .25-06. this gun has shot 2 different factory rounds at 1 moa or less. i hope that more factory rounds will be produced for this cartridge. i may have to break down & learn to reload like others have said. i personally feel that the .223, .243 & .25 wssm's are all worth owning without a doubt.

Re: short magnum fad [Re: txcornhusker] #77632 07/25/06 01:03 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Do you notice that the people that are posting negative remarks about the WSSM'S or WSM'S are the folks that don't own one or haven't shot one!!! Except for westtex and I forgive you!!

Everyone that owns one has wrote positive things about them! The people that have never shot one or don't own one have NO room to talk about them!! You don't see me bashing any gun I haven't shot or owned!!! Think about that!!!!

I'm not really bashing any one's gun, it's the replication of ballistics i have a problem with. If all you want to do is push a 30 cal 150 grain bullet to 3250 fps, then there's a wide variety of existing cartridges that can already do that and more, some are well over 50 years old.

Interesting link on the testing and overall performance of the 300WSM.

http://www.loaddata.com/articles/PDF/3-Inch%20300%20WSM.pdf#search='300%20H%26H%20ballistic%20table'

Last edited by HWY_MAN; 07/25/06 01:27 PM.

Re: short magnum fad [Re: HWY_MAN] #77633 07/25/06 02:15 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Winchester says it pushes the 150 grain in the WSM
to 3300. The 30-06 in the same bullet is 2925. I still
say it depends on how many toys a guy wants.

Re: short magnum fad [Re: Gringo Loco] #77634 07/25/06 02:50 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
1. Remington never chambered any of the Winchester Shot Mags becuase they were trying to sell their own Remington Ultra Short Mag series...and these rifles and ammo are already being sold at substantial discounts, even though a few of them have merit performance wise.
No other gun mfg'er ever chambered any of the RSAUM calibers to my knowledge, and have only tentitvely chambered a few of the RUM calibers like the 300RUM and 338RUM.

2. The Rick Jamison lawsuit caused A. the parent company Herstal aka Browning/Winchester to close the old Winchester New Haven Connecticut plant that made M70's, M94's and M1300's back in March of this year. B. - Forced ammo and other firearms companies to pay a royalty to Mr Jamison, instead of Herstal....rightly or wrongly. And C. Caused some firearms mfg's to re think the short fat cartridge total selection, or to take a wait and see attitude about the survivability of most of the calibers.

3. Where Ruger was once a company that thrived on being a market leader in new calibers and innovative designs they appear to have lost that market share battle to Savage and the Howa / Wby Vanguard series - both of which still chamber the WSM's, now that Winchester is gone at this point in time. I expect the the Winchester M70's and M94's will be resurrected by another company. Other companies have also entered the market and are gaining market share every year like CZ in the mid price point which does not chamber even all the standard length magums like a 7RMg or a 300WinMg and 338Win Mg, Tikka at a little higher point and chmbers the majority of the WSM's and Kimber in the upper price point which chambers the majority of the WSM's.

Ruger has not responded well except for the limited appeal of the Ruger 204 - at all that I can see with any new caliber selections of any kind in the last 5 or more years -to the market driven direction towards the Ultra Light weight range now being dominated by the 6lb 3 oz Tikka's T3 series and under 6 lb Kimbers Montana series - OBTW for example a 308 Win Montana weighs 5lb 2 oz's, a 300WSM weighs 6lb 3 oz's, and when released later this year a 30'06 will weigh 6lbs 9ozs and a 300 WMg will weigh 6 lbs 13 ozs - and have ignored their own 6+lb 20" barreled adult sized Ultra Lite series 6 lb 3 oz 308 Short Actions and 6lb 6oz Long actions, like CHC's 257 Roberts, and concentrated on their 16 1/2" barreled, with its too short for an adult LOP, 6lb 1oz Compact series ear splitter instead looking for an entry in the womens and childrens market that is so small as to be almost non existent.
IMO Ruger has become a stagnant mature company much as Winchester was before the WSM's came about, after Browning chose to hype the IMO ill designed highly cosmetically enhanced and beautifully finished ABolts - case in point you never see an A Bolt as the platform for a custom gun unlike a Remington or better still a Winchester.

4. will the short fat calibers fad fadeaway...yes and no...when gunmakers like Kimber are selling all the 325, 300, 270 WSM's they can build ...no those calibers will continue as the performance difference delivered is sufficent, although overlapped by the old original's, to warrant continued sales IMO. The weakness in sales of the WSM/WSSM's is in the smaller calibers, and the 7WSM which offered no difference from the 7RMG, and I believe that yes those calibers will eventually dry up and disappear. Yes Ammo prices have helped speed up that decline and has the lack of bullet selection - so once again the ammo mfg'ers are to blame here IMO.
The Remington short fats are already in that decline...even though there are some good performers in the series. The gun companies themselves are partly to blame as they have not offered guns that took advantage of the size/weight/handy ness differential between the short fats and the old originals as Kimber has.

I do not own a short fat and have not shot one...but that doesn't mean I don't understand the features, advantages and benefits...it simply means that I have too much invested in my standard length 270 and 300WinMg's to sell them off to go chase something else. If I could afford to buy a Kimber Montana I'd buy a 300WSM in a heartbeat, and then a 270 WSM next. I am just before getting a Tikka T3 as a UL 6lb 3oz everyday allweather gun after looking at Rugers for the last three months with visits to every Ruger outlets in North Texas looking for a LA or deer sized caliber R77RL or RLFP Ultra Lite and never finding one except in 204, and will prolly order a 270 as I already have the appropriate powder, maybe 6-700 bullets all ready on hand and 400+ empty cases to load, or maybe a 308 as all I need is a fresh batch of brass to get started reloading with...and the stated goal when I started was a 6lb 20" barreled allweather deer/hog/maybe backup elk shooter....in something cheaper than a Kimber Montana...and it ain't out there that I can find. But if/when the opportunity comes for me to be able to buy an all steel, CRF, and 3 position safety - unlike a Tikka for all its value and accuracy - Kimbers my first choice and will be one or more of the WSM's.JMHO
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: short magnum fad [Re: Huntmaster] #77635 07/25/06 05:22 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

Winchester says it pushes the 150 grain in the WSM
to 3300. The 30-06 in the same bullet is 2925. I still
say it depends on how many toys a guy wants.

Not to nit-pick, but there are several hand loads that will take the 06 to 3100 with a 150 grain. P.O. Ackley has several.

Re: short magnum fad [Re: WileyCoyote] #77636 07/25/06 05:27 PM
W
west tex Offline
Tracker
Tracker
W
remington did chamber the 270 wsm i know cause i had one

Re: short magnum fad [Re: west tex] #77637 07/25/06 10:46 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
West Tex...I always stand to be corrected. I have to admit though I am really surprised as Remington has worked very hard to market their short fats, but never did catch up with Winchester's first out of the box lead....and to my knowledge no other gun maker chambered the Remmy short fats...and no other ammo maker made ammo for them either. When those things happen then you can be assured that whatever the caliber is will last for a while.

With what you are saying it looks like even Remington has waved the white flag and accepted that the WSM is here to stay when their own proprietary RSAUM's could not be sold LOL!
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

Re: short magnum fad [Re: WileyCoyote] #77638 07/25/06 11:04 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Just as an aside here, I was looking in a 2006 issue, not sure of the month, of Outdoor Life. They touched on the short mags in a sidebar item, and I found what they said interesting, I don't know how factual, but interesting. Whoever wrote the piece, said that published accuracy out of a short mag, couldn't be obtained consitently if the rifle was fired under field conditions. The writer went on to say that the factory tests were done with a cooling off period between shots, and only shooting 3 shots. The testing he was privvy too was 5 shots with no cooling time and the gun wouldn't hold at under two inches at 100 yards.

Re: short magnum fad [Re: Crazyhorse] #77639 07/25/06 11:24 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Randall, that article has been around for a while and created lots of stir when it first came out. If I remember right the writer also did not reveal that his test rifles were in 22" barrels and the ammo co's were using 26" barrels....as they always do. Heat or the lack of it can do funny things with gun powder and pressures being reached or over reached. All of us that reload know that an individual barrel can shoot faster or slower than the very next barrel of the same caliber off the same machines making them...and the spread in velocity from barrel to barrel can be as much as 200 maybe even 300 fps especially in higher velocity rounds. This also was an early test and I suspect theat there have sine been some alterations of the powder blend in some calibers. Just like the relaoding manuals say ...abc xyz powder at 59 grains in Remington brass and using a federal 215 -not a 210 but a 215 - primer with a Nosler 165 grain BT will give "approximately" this velocity. the only way to confirm anything with velocity is to use a chrongraph over and over and over on every round and then you may still have a "slow" barrel and never will get what some gunrag shill touts as the latest whizzbang lazer blaster will get ...or not.
Ron's Rule of Thumb on velocity - if my gun will shoot a given round well enough to satisfy me...then I'll figure out how far away I can hit something 'cause groups on paper don't get the skillet dirty...little bitty groups are nice confidence builders and good practice but thye only really serve to take away my excuse for not hitting what I shoot at but thats about all...IMO. Minute of Deer or Minute of Basketball makes no difference if it puts the critter on the ground.
Ron

Re: short magnum fad [Re: WileyCoyote] #77640 07/25/06 11:46 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Good Lord, We have reached a concensus on something. Call in the dogs and kids our end is near. What is done on paper, whether with a pen, typewriter, confuser, or a gun at a bench has nothing to do with dead meat hitting the ground.

My idea of a perfect round, is one dead critter, either where it was standing or however many yards away it ran before it realized it was dead.

I ain't never seen me no bench rests on BLM or Private ground 8000 foot up in the Rockies. I couldn't find any place to park my big Deriere when I walked up on that moose at 50 yards or so in the brush in Newfoundland. Paper ballistics and little clover leaf groups ain't never mattered to me or the critter I was perforating. I ain't never ran across a whitetail that I had to put 3 shots into. I think, and this is damn sure my personal opinion on this, that if more folks would spend time making sure that when they looked at the sights or thru the scope of their favorite gun, they could consistently put their first shot every time, just exactly where they wanted it and stop worrying about follow up shots. From my experience, follow up shots are measured in feet, not yards, if the first shot hits close to where it was supposed too. JMO

Me and you keep agreeing on stuff and folks around us are going to want to have us commited.

Re: short magnum fad [Re: WileyCoyote] #77641 07/26/06 01:19 AM
W
Wild Boar Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
Remington chambers the 300 wsm also because I own one. That why I think some will live on.

P.W. ARCHERY
www.boardhunts.com
Re: short magnum fad [Re: HWY_MAN] #77642 07/26/06 01:30 AM
W
Wild Boar Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
The ballistics I've seen the wsm does exceed the standard mags with less powder and less recoil . And I've found ballistics to be very different from paper to here in the real world. You call 223 and 243 wsm and they are not they are wssm. The wssm are the ones that I think will die off but hope they dont.

P.W. ARCHERY
www.boardhunts.com
Re: short magnum fad [Re: Wild Boar] #77643 07/26/06 02:07 AM
B
biz Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
i think that some will stay,223,270 sm wont...

PULL the TRIGGER, SHOOT to KILL!!!
Re: short magnum fad [Re: Wild Boar] #77644 07/26/06 12:06 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

The ballistics I've seen the wsm does exceed the standard mags with less powder and less recoil . And I've found ballistics to be very different from paper to here in the real world. You call 223 and 243 wsm and they are not they are wssm. The wssm are the ones that I think will die off but hope they dont.

You are correct, the 223 and the 243 were the WSSM's.

Re: short magnum fad [Re: Crazyhorse] #77645 07/26/06 02:45 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Wouldn't the guy who can shoot on paper with the best
groups be the better shot in the field.(with the assumption
all other things are equal)

Re: short magnum fad [Re: Huntmaster] #77646 07/26/06 03:00 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
A person might think that, but I have seen it be the other way, too many times.

The only thing equal about shooting paper and shooting hair, is that a gun is being used. While there may actually be people out there that would get excited looking at a piece of paper, the average person doesn't.

Also under normal conditions, that piece of paper is at a measured distance, isn't really moving around too much, and didn't just pop up out of nowhere.

Just the physical changes in heart rate and respiration, even when setting in a stand over a feeder at a measured 100 yards, when a deer walks out, has a tremendous effect on a hunter. The bigger the deer, the more acute those chages become. A hunter walking/still hunting thru the woods, is already so keyed up at all the sounds and smells in the woods, that if a good deer or even a doe, busts cover at 50 yards or less and then stops and looks back at the hunter, even good bench rest shooters have trouble getting a killing shot off.

Re: short magnum fad [Re: Crazyhorse] #77647 07/26/06 05:37 PM
R
Rowney Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
I had a 7mm wsm in a stainless a-bolt. I hated it and the round. I lost three deer b/c of poor bullets from winchester, i cant stand the silvertips, but thats another question. Anyway, I love brownings, have and had several, but that barrel would walk 4" at 50 yds after the second shot. On top of that the deer I lost were due to the bullet not opening up. And it kicked like a mule in that 6 1/2 lb gun. My 25-06 and my 270 are better rounds than that ever dreamed of being. Now for the 300 wsm, I think it will stay, as will the 270 wsm. BUt I do believe the rest of them are going out fast.

Someone referenced the wssm's and even though I havent shot them, talk to most varmint and predator hunters, and they will tell you they stink in terms of accuracy. Plus, a 223 wssm is no improvement on a 220 swift, so I dont see much point in it. Just my .02 cents!

As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks--Thomas Jefferson
Re: short magnum fad [Re: Crazyhorse] #77648 07/26/06 05:42 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I was just thinking about the military? Where you are
hand picked from marksman who shoot on paper. Then you go
out in the bush and take a chance on getting your own butt
shot. These guys like "white feather" the sniper in Viet
Nam-regarded as the best-all were hand selected from their
scores. He actually won the world championship. With the
assumption that they are equal hunters-wouldn't the paper
guy be better?

Re: short magnum fad [Re: Crazyhorse] #77649 07/26/06 05:58 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
If you really want to become a proficient game shot...go buy a full sized adult air rifle and put a scope on it. Go find an area that you can scatter some "targets" and shoot at without be restricted to a bench or blind...and then just see how well you can shoot at smaller and smaller stuff until you can hit ASPIRINS from 30-40-50 feet simply by shouldering and sighting from a port arms or carry arms position and taking a snap shot. When you are comfortable at that level...hitting 7-8+ out of 10 shots, then do the same thing with a 22 and strow "targets" again and start over at about 20-25 yards until you get to about 75 yards or more depending on how accurate your rimfire is. OBTW CZ's standard 22's will shoot 1 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards off the bench...dunno how far past that I could hold one though.
I learned to shoot moving targets by shooting at leaves floating down a creek with a 22 from a 30-100 foot high bank...and paying a nickel a shot for a miss to my partner from as much as 100 yards away. Taught me lead, taught me breath and trigger control...then we switched to Center fires and in those days I shot a 243 and that taught me the necessity of reloading...and we switched to baited river rats at "unknown" distances out to about 250 yards which taught range estimation. Today that location is a golf driving range off Belt Line and Luna in west Carrollton and the "creek bank" is the Elm Fork arm of the Trinity River...but it was miles in the country in 1969 and '70.
That expereince will teach you to shoot better off the bench, better out of a stand and the only way you will ever learn to shoot standing up on your hind legs and offhand ie unsupported. My cousin in Midland did the same thing riding with his dad when Uncle Frank was an oil scout for Atlantic Refining aka ARCO in the Sprayberry District shooting at dragon flys and everything else first with a BB gun and then a 22 at age 8 or 9. When I would visit in the summer the highlight of my trips were when Uncle Frank would drop us off at the front gate of a Lease and we could burn boucoup 22 shorts in a mile or so shooting at jack rabbits, lizards, snakes and whatever else appeared. Cousin Richard is probably still a better game shot than I am over 50 years later...and fast as greased lightning getting a shot off.
Ron

Re: short magnum fad [Re: Rowney] #77650 07/26/06 08:21 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:

I had a 7mm wsm in a stainless a-bolt. I hated it and the round. I lost three deer b/c of poor bullets from winchester, i cant stand the silvertips, but thats another question. Anyway, I love brownings, have and had several, but that barrel would walk 4" at 50 yds after the second shot. On top of that the deer I lost were due to the bullet not opening up. And it kicked like a mule in that 6 1/2 lb gun. My 25-06 and my 270 are better rounds than that ever dreamed of being. Now for the 300 wsm, I think it will stay, as will the 270 wsm. BUt I do believe the rest of them are going out fast.

Someone referenced the wssm's and even though I havent shot them, talk to most varmint and predator hunters, and they will tell you they stink in terms of accuracy. Plus, a 223 wssm is no improvement on a 220 swift, so I dont see much point in it. Just my .02 cents!

Lost 3 deer?
Where did you hit them?

Re: short magnum fad [Re: Rowney] #77651 07/26/06 09:33 PM
W
Wild Boar Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
W
How do you know the bullets didn't open up if you didn't find the deer. Silver tip bullets are made for deep penatration not rapid expandsion. I seen it before people made bad shots and blame it on the gun, bullets, scope when it was really there own fault. I can not see how a 7mm wsm will not kill a deer and my 22-250 will.

P.W. ARCHERY
www.boardhunts.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide