Forums46
Topics538,075
Posts9,732,700
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What matters most, the animal or the experience? [Re: Texas Dan] #7713629 01/10/20 04:32 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
The Experience.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: What matters most, the animal or the experience? [Re: Texas Dan] #7713704 01/10/20 05:47 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
I have had a lot of time to reflect since I gave up my place to hunt this last year and without a doubt it is the joy of being in the woods with mother nature regardless of the outcome cheers

texas Faith, Family and Freedom flag

Re: What matters most, the animal or the experience? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7713815 01/10/20 07:48 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
I know most people say that it is the experience, but if that was the case, I think a lot more people would be hunting with cameras.

rofl a very close friend of mine would always text : " put the camera down & choot-em " The later years of me hog hunts at OSBWMA, finding the hog's twas the easy part, me health kept me from pullen d trigger due ta alien body parts.. huntsolo & your memories die with ya... Twas yrying ta get him ta come on hog hunts..
We done several... like with hunting with family, twas the experiance, the harvest twas icing on D cake...
True Blessings & trophies twas the memories of shareing the hunt...
Each thar own...

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: What matters most, the animal or the experience? [Re: Texas Dan] #7714314 01/11/20 09:51 AM
10pointers Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Its always the experience does not have to be the size of the animal. For example this year was a little slow on my little place in Mills county. I was the only hunter who harvested an animal and this doe provided me with the only animal I saw all year on the place. Always special to score after many trips to the blind. I killed two bucks on other properties but this was the most memorable for this year

Attached Files cropped .jpg
Re: What matters most, the animal or the experience? [Re: Texas Dan] #7714331 01/11/20 12:32 PM
R
redhaze Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Definitely the experience.

Re: What matters most, the animal or the experience? [Re: Texas Dan] #7714954 01/12/20 01:51 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
I've known guys who haven't shot a buck in several years and feel comfortable saying it didn't bother them at all.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: What matters most, the animal or the experience? [Re: Texas Dan] #7714970 01/12/20 02:04 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I've known guys who haven't shot a buck in several years and feel comfortable saying it didn't bother them at all.

What kind of hunting are they doing though?

I think anyone who says that the quality of the game, numbers, etc. are fibbing just a little bit

I believe people do exist when they say it doesent bother them when they go several season without killing a buck, but you can break them out into two camps....people who truly hold out for a monster and people who go hunting as glorified camping trips/weekend getaways from home

And yes, I’ve been in both of those camps

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: What matters most, the animal or the experience? [Re: txtrophy85] #7714980 01/12/20 02:14 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

I think anyone who says that the quality of the game, numbers, etc. are fibbing just a little bit

I believe people do exist when they say it doesent bother them when they go several season without killing a buck, but you can break them out into two camps....people who truly hold out for a monster and people who go hunting as glorified camping trips/weekend getaways from home

IMHO, they're after a buck that satisfies a personal standard they have set for themselves. So while you might say the animal is most important to them, you might just as easily say it's the experience of going year after year until they get the opportunity they're waiting for. As they say, "Good things come to those who wait."

Last edited by Texas Dan; 01/12/20 02:16 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: What matters most, the animal or the experience? [Re: txtrophy85] #7715041 01/12/20 03:30 AM
B
bphillips Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B

Also no matter what, the best experience hunting is made better in one way. Taking the animal

Equal for sure

Last edited by bphillips; 01/12/20 03:30 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: What matters most, the animal or the experience? [Re: bphillips] #7715107 01/12/20 04:15 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Originally Posted by bphillips
Both pretty even for me. The "experience" without the animal is a camping trip or just sitting in a blind. It really brings all the emotion together with the take of the animal.

This for me^^^^^^^^^

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: What matters most, the animal or the experience? [Re: Texas Dan] #7715911 01/13/20 01:58 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Hanging out with friends, sharing a campfire and a few libations. I'm just not that mad at 'em these days. Was at the 'Pitchfork' this weekend and watched numerous quality bucks, just not the old warhorse management deer we were looking for. Still had a great time.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: What matters most, the animal or the experience? [Re: Texas Dan] #7715948 01/13/20 02:28 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A great animal makes for a great experience, to me anyway. After I've killed something decent, or put some good shots on hogs just hanging out and having some Woodford works well. We tell great stories, laugh and burn a lot of firewood.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: What matters most, the animal or the experience? [Re: txtrophy85] #7716018 01/13/20 04:55 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

We are all at that point now. You get to a point in life that other things are more important. It seems to happen over night. We all have been through hell and back personally so big buck is just icing on the cake if it happens. Now if I am paying $5K for a spot, yeah priorities would probably change!

Re: What matters most, the animal or the experience? [Re: Txduckman] #7716027 01/13/20 05:13 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Txduckman

Now if I am paying $5K for a spot, yeah priorities would probably change!

Now this factors in to if quit a bit I think....what kind of hunting a person is doing and how routine it may be for them.

I really don’t get all that upset If I go hunting locally here at my lease or down to the ranch or a buddies place and don’t get anything. Those are more just fellowship trips, hanging out with buddies and having a few drinks. Shooting something is fun but not necessary. It’s more that I’m not that into big whitetail much anymore and I get my kicks from shooting them with a bow or in new areas then getting after a true trophy buck. Thank god for cull deer because I get my adrenaline fix mainly from them.

On a real hunt type hunt....I’m looking to get a kill. I have my game face on, I’m there to work. I do get bummed out if I don’t get an animals on most of these trips, but not all. I will say I enter the woods expecting to get a kill at some point.....I’m batting about 50% so far.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide