Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Amen [Re: maximus_flavius] #7649057 11/01/19 12:44 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius

Wanna know why your deer hunts are “normally unsuccessful”?

Probably because he is actually doing real hunting .... the kind that doesn't involve feeders and game cameras that let him know exactly where all the deer area going to be and when LOL

Re: Amen [Re: PigMoney] #7649061 11/01/19 12:48 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by PigMoney
His last sentence, Amen. Often times I feel we've all been caught up in the "mystical stag" mantra of QDM that we forget the real reason we go in the field in the first place.

I agree with Ted on this one... deer snobs are worse than religious fanatics. but but, it's called herd management! but but big bucks! but but you shouldn't! Everyone always thinks they know what's best ....that's how we ended up with big government.... people thinking they know what's best and that that it's their right to force 'what's best' on everyone else.

Re: Amen [Re: maximus_flavius] #7649070 11/01/19 12:57 PM
P
PigMoney Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted by PigMoney
Now when that forkhorn steps out in front of my kiddo you bet I'm gonna let her take it. If I have a friend who's never hunted or shot a deer go with me, you bet that fork horn's fair game!

Awesome, brah. Take them both hunting, shoot all the young bucks, then in a couple of years when your kid asks you where are all the big deer, you can tell her that she shot them a couple of years ago.

There's that QDM mindset. Don't worry, I bought the books, I sat through 4 years of it in college. Been there, done that. Shoot what you want, just don't shoot them all.

“We don’t rent pigs!”- Hat Creek Cattle Company
Re: Amen [Re: PigMoney] #7649076 11/01/19 01:04 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
You need to have some flexibility as to judgement. We are all not endowed with access to vast superior hunting grounds. I have 160 acres surrounded with low fence hunted land. I try to encourage my family to hold out for mature bucks. A minimum of 8 points or better. However I do want to ensure my family members who have the desire maintain enthusiasm and if I hold firm to this standard some will never shoot a buck with there limited hunting access time. Shooting a doe no matter how frequent does not satisfy the nostalgia taking that horned trophy. After 3 years of failing to get tht mature buck I suggested my grandson take a noble but young 6. I hate to admit such a horrible transgression here but making sure my grandson wants to return this year to share my passion is worth the disdain I expect some will have for me but so be it!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Amen [Re: Flashprism] #7649083 11/01/19 01:14 PM
P
PigMoney Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted by Flashprism
You need to have some flexibility as to judgement. We are all not endowed with access to vast superior hunting grounds. I have 160 acres surrounded with low fence hunted land. I try to encourage my family to hold out for mature bucks. A minimum of 8 points or better. However I do want to ensure my family members who have the desire maintain enthusiasm and if I hold firm to this standard some will never shoot a buck with there limited hunting access time. Shooting a doe no matter how frequent does not satisfy the nostalgia taking that horned trophy. After 3 years of failing to get tht mature buck I suggested my grandson take a noble but young 6. I hate to admit such a horrible transgression here but making sure my grandson wants to return this year to share my passion is worth the disdain I expect some will have for me but so be it!!!!!!!!!!!

How dare you allow him to take a sub 160” deer!!! Congrats to your grandson! A trophy is different to everyone. If the “citiots” and “Dang DFW hunters” stop making fun or passing judgement on guys that shoot less than 4-1/2 year old more than 10 pt deer, I might actually stop making fun of their bro trucks and their wearing head to toe camo in town and their box blinds. Probably not but oh well lol!

Re: Amen [Re: PigMoney] #7649086 11/01/19 01:15 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
^ that is what the internet does. You should not feel even the slightest tinge of guilt when your grandson shoots his first anything and should not have any stress for the opinions of strangers.

And they are strangers. People put filters on their life in social media. You might feel connected to these people and I do too in my short time in this forum. But you don't really know them.

Just like fishing. You start them off on sunfish and if they catch some legal bass and catfish you let them take them home too.

I got lucky with my youngest, her first bass was larger than my very biggest bass and she let it go smile

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Amen [Re: PigMoney] #7649091 11/01/19 01:28 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Somebody, somewhere is reading all these posts & realizing that they need a HF if they ever wanna have nice deer.

Hopefully it’s right next to one of these small acreage, shoot-any-deer-in-sight jerks.

Then we can hear them piss & moan “I never see any deer any more since my neighbor HF me out”.

In Texas deer hunting, the lowest common denominator is awful low. & common.

Re: Amen [Re: maximus_flavius] #7649094 11/01/19 01:32 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I think the point is being missed or won’t be accepted; I know a ton of hunters that really don’t care about rack size. They are just as much “sportsman” as anybody on this site.

Re: Amen [Re: maximus_flavius] #7649098 11/01/19 01:35 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Laid Back, Laid Over, whatever your name is this week, what you mis-name as “elite-ism”, is really just hard work, constant feeding, selective hunting, patience, & management. But you wouldn’t know anything about any of that. It’s easier to just call hunters like that “elitist”.

But I hope you get a good rabbit this deer season.

You would have an excellent point, if it stopped there. But it doesn’t stop there. You forgot the part where you impose your ideas on others. You expect everyone to have the same goals, means, and expectations as you. That’s not only unrealistic, but a bit self-centered.

There’s a happy medium to be had here. Something between kill ‘em all and kill only booners. At the core of that middle ground lies conservation and understanding. Without conservation, nobody wins. Without understanding, you will always have two separate groups. As long as there’s two separate groups, advancing or preserving our more important rights will be difficult. You know, rights such as hunting and whatnot.

Preserving our right to hunt should be at the forefront of our little outdoor oriented minds. If you have any desire to do your part in preserving that right, I highly recommend that you heed the fact that the general public doesn’t give two squirts of cat crap about antler quality. They care that the animals are plentiful, healthy, dispatched of humanely, and put to proper use. I fully support you in your quest of bigger deer, and I don’t care if you feed the tough old hams to your dogs. But plenty of people do care, and they have plenty of say in the future of hunting, be it for meat, sport, or trophy. All I ask is that you act accordingly.

Re: Amen [Re: Sneaky] #7649102 11/01/19 01:41 PM
P
PigMoney Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted by Sneaky
Laid Back, Laid Over, whatever your name is this week, what you mis-name as “elite-ism”, is really just hard work, constant feeding, selective hunting, patience, & management. But you wouldn’t know anything about any of that. It’s easier to just call hunters like that “elitist”.

But I hope you get a good rabbit this deer season.

You would have an excellent point, if it stopped there. But it doesn’t stop there. You forgot the part where you impose your ideas on others. You expect everyone to have the same goals, means, and expectations as you. That’s not only unrealistic, but a bit self-centered.

There’s a happy medium to be had here. Something between kill ‘em all and kill only booners. At the core of that middle ground lies conservation and understanding. Without conservation, nobody wins. Without understanding, you will always have two separate groups. As long as there’s two separate groups, advancing or preserving our more important rights will be difficult. You know, rights such as hunting and whatnot.

Preserving our right to hunt should be at the forefront of our little outdoor oriented minds. If you have any desire to do your part in preserving that right, I highly recommend that you heed the fact that the general public doesn’t give two squirts of cat crap about antler quality. They care that the animals are plentiful, healthy, dispatched of humanely, and put to proper use. I fully support you in your quest of bigger deer, and I don’t care if you feed the tough old hams to your dogs. But plenty of people do care, and they have plenty of say in the future of hunting, be it for meat, sport, or trophy. All I ask is that you act accordingly.

Ding ding we have a winner! As I said before, AMEN!

Re: Amen [Re: PigMoney] #7649114 11/01/19 01:44 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Then there is the misconception that a hunter who would be happy to shoot a spike or a doe is just a trigger happy guy that wants to kill everything.

I've only killed a couple of cottontails this year. I bring the single shot when i go crappie fishing because sometimes i jump a cottontail by the creek.

What can i say, crappie eat better than either cottontails OR deer, and more plentiful than either. When the crappie in the creeks stop biting, i will begin hunting in earnest smile

Last edited by laid over; 11/01/19 01:44 PM.

Re: Amen [Re: Sneaky] #7649124 11/01/19 01:55 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
[quote=maximus_flavius]They care that the animals are plentiful, healthy, dispatched of humanely, and put to proper use. I fully support you in your quest of bigger deer, and I don’t care if you feed the tough old hams to your dogs. But plenty of people do care, and they have plenty of say in the future of hunting, be it for meat, sport, or trophy. All I ask is that you act accordingly.

So I can’t say anything of other hunters, but your asking me to be ok with what they do? That’s kinda self centered a bit. I’ll continue to have my opinions & voice them as I see fit. I will also continue to look down on idiots who live by “if it’s brown, it’s down” mantra.

I will also have to disagree with you that these people care about “plenty, healthy, etc”. All they care about is filling their freezer or shooting any legal deer.

Last edited by maximus_flavius; 11/01/19 01:56 PM.
Re: Amen [Re: PigMoney] #7649128 11/01/19 01:57 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45

Things i learned on texasHF...
bang Damn, i raised my kids wrong... Tis all about the Big Buck$...
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Amen [Re: Sneaky] #7649141 11/01/19 02:09 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
[quote=Sneaky][quote=maximus_flavius]They care that the animals are plentiful, healthy, dispatched of humanely, and put to proper use. I fully support you in your quest of bigger deer, and I don’t care if you feed the tough old hams to your dogs. But plenty of people do care, and they have plenty of say in the future of hunting, be it for meat, sport, or trophy. All I ask is that you act accordingly.

So I can’t say anything of other hunters, but your asking me to be ok with what they do? That’s kinda self centered a bit. I’ll continue to have my opinions & voice them as I see fit. I will also continue to look down on idiots who live by “if it’s brown, it’s down” mantra.

I will also have to disagree with you that these people care about “plenty, healthy, etc”. All they care about is filling their freezer or shooting any legal deer.

Calm down, and reread what I wrote. As it is, your response doesn’t make a lick of sense as it relates to what I’ve said. I wasn’t attacking you. Just making a few points.

Slow down. Try again. We’ll go from there.

For starters, the “general public” is not a reference to hunters only.

Re: Amen [Re: PigMoney] #7649156 11/01/19 02:29 PM
B
bassinbiker Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
maximus, what would you say if the "people" decided that your high fence, that keeps the "people's" free-range (well, used to be free-range until you high fenced them in) animals from going wherever they wanted to go was illegal? Yes, you have, or the land owner has, the right to put up a high fence. But, since you don't actually own the free range animals, technically, you shouldn't be allowed to stop their movements. I will add that when you built the high fence you ensured all of the "state's" animals were off of your property, and introduced animals you bought from the trophy farms, or exotics that weren't here naturally, then you should be ok.

I don't think your argument that "let's high fence out all of the brown it's down idiots" is the answer to those with differing opinions from yours...

And, here's why -- I don't really have an issue with high fences now. But, if everyone starts doing what you are proposing, I would have a huge issue with them - since the native free range animals would no longer be free range. I think the majority of hunters probably would as well, since it would greatly affect the "natural balance" of our lands. I don't think it's going to happen, and pray that it doesn't.

Greg
US Army 1SG/Retired
Re: Amen [Re: PigMoney] #7649161 11/01/19 02:35 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Lotsa straw men getting beat up here.

It’s not about “big”’bucks, it’s about mature deer & carrying capacity.

Sorry (not sorry) I still look down on “hunters” who are focused on their freezer & not management.

“Awesome 2 year old 6 point, bro!”

Re: Amen [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7649166 11/01/19 02:37 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by Binary
[quote=maximus_flavius]Probably because he is actually doing real hunting .... the kind that doesn't involve feeders and game cameras

Said every boomer ever.

Real hunting is with nothing but your bare hands, while wearing a loincloth & living in a cave (til Monday when you have to get back to your job in downtown Dallas).

Last edited by maximus_flavius; 11/01/19 02:39 PM.
Re: Amen [Re: PigMoney] #7649176 11/01/19 02:43 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I'd like to be the first to thank you for using your time, money and effort to manage & improve something you don't own that helps everyone around you.

Keep up the good work up

Re: Amen [Re: PigMoney] #7649190 11/01/19 02:47 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
My first deer was a spike, my son's first deer was a 3 point. I couldn't tell you what they looked like but I bet I'll never forget the way I felt or the smile that was on my boy's face. What I do once I get inside my gate is my business. I like this post. up

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Amen [Re: PigMoney] #7649192 11/01/19 02:48 PM
M
MWTX270 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Texas parks and wildlife sets the bag limits and restrictions on size and sex of legal deer. Each landowner has the right to their own management practices. But if it's legal to shoot a doe or spike. Then there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with it. I cannot really manage a deer heard on my measly 131 acres, but I just enjoy sitting in the stand and watching. But if one of my grandchildren want to shoot a spike or doe, or 14" spread young buck, I will act and probably be more excited than they are. I will not impose the restrictions I put on myself, to maybe curb their desire to be in the outdoors, and enjoy Gods great blessings he has given us.

Re: Amen [Re: PigMoney] #7649200 11/01/19 02:55 PM
B
BassBuster1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I have been deer hunting seriously for about 3 years. Last year I let a beautiful young chocolate horned 10 point walk because of all the reading I do about "let them get old" etc. 20 minutes later from the direction he walked off I heard the familiar boom...whomp from the neighbor. We hunt about 600 acres of family land just North of the metromess, to me if everyone in Denton county is not thinking the same thing as I was, "oh he is young let him walk", it is not really worth it. I ended up shooting a bigger bodied nice to me 8 point but I never posted a picture here because of the ridicule that comes to those who shoot a younger deer. I have now shot two 3 year old deer in my 3 years of hunting and they were delicious which is our main focus. I mentioned I might try to wait for an older deer this year to my wife and her response was "if you get a chance to take a legal deer you need to". She said "we have newly married kids and a few families at church that need food some times and if we have plenty of meat we can share". We are not poor and can buy meat but being able to share venison and fish that we kill or catch and eggs from our chickens and vegetables from the garden is deeply satisfying. I say if you are harvesting whatever you decide to, licensed and within the limits of the law then go for it and be grateful. Biblically it is the reason all of the bounty of this really awesome Earth is here, for us!!

Re: Amen [Re: BassBuster1] #7649243 11/01/19 03:42 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by BassBuster1
I have been deer hunting seriously for about 3 years. Last year I let a beautiful young chocolate horned 10 point walk because of all the reading I do about "let them get old" etc. 20 minutes later from the direction he walked off I heard the familiar boom...whomp from the neighbor. We hunt about 600 acres of family land just North of the metromess, to me if everyone in Denton county is not thinking the same thing as I was, "oh he is young let him walk", it is not really worth it. I ended up shooting a bigger bodied nice to me 8 point but I never posted a picture here because of the ridicule that comes to those who shoot a younger deer. I have now shot two 3 year old deer in my 3 years of hunting and they were delicious which is our main focus. I mentioned I might try to wait for an older deer this year to my wife and her response was "if you get a chance to take a legal deer you need to". She said "we have newly married kids and a few families at church that need food some times and if we have plenty of meat we can share". We are not poor and can buy meat but being able to share venison and fish that we kill or catch and eggs from our chickens and vegetables from the garden is deeply satisfying. I say if you are harvesting whatever you decide to, licensed and within the limits of the law then go for it and be grateful. Biblically it is the reason all of the bounty of this really awesome Earth is here, for us!!

Amen to that.

Furthermore, for the management of a deer herd, why is it bad to shoot a spike?

I understand why you at least let a nice buck mature before you take him, so he has time to pass his genes. But saving your tag for a nice buck every year doesn't make sense. If we only kept the nicest bass, the management plan would backfire.

I think Fork would have produced a world record by now if they would tighten up the slot some more. A 24" bass is not big or uncommon in Fork, and there are so many anglers hitting it so hard for that trophy of a lifetime. It's a successful management plan from the standpoint of the numbers of big bass, but we'll never see another record unless they tighten it up a little bit. The 16" and under rule makes sense though, and those little bass eat better anyway and you can fry them up whole.

With deer, why don't we encourage people to take spikes? Why would you hunt for years and pass on everything you see? It makes more sense to me that you would like to see people culling the weak genes.

Last edited by laid over; 11/01/19 03:43 PM.

Re: Amen [Re: PigMoney] #7649257 11/01/19 03:57 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I take it you've never heard of antler restrictions.

One of your two legal bucks in a single AR county must have at least one unbranched antler, or you could take 2 bucks with an unbranched antler in the same county.
Then go to a different AR county & kill your 13" + branched antlered buck, or, take another unbranched antler buck.

So killing unbranched bucks is encouraged.

Re: Amen [Re: PigMoney] #7649268 11/01/19 04:04 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
but seems pretty shameful to some in the forum.

Re: Amen [Re: PigMoney] #7649276 11/01/19 04:10 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
If you let what people say on the interwebz affect your happiness or life decisions in the least little bit, you need to unplug & disconnect.

Life is way too short.
In the blink of an eye everything can change, no one is guaranteed the next hunt or deer.

If you want to kill any legal deer there is no reason to pass it up, the deer isn't guaranteed another day either, neighbors, hit by car, hung up in fence, predator, sickness or injury.

It is the liberal left mindset that wants to control what others do, be it by enacting new laws & regulations, or by use of social pressures if what they wish to condemn or control is deemed legal.

Shoot whatever legal deer you want and be happy.
I hope every kid that goes deer hunting has a huge smile in the picture of whatever deer they kill.

Vealison is the best.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide