Forums46
Topics538,050
Posts9,732,362
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7646748 10/30/19 09:39 AM
E
El campo Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
E
I could see how a land owner that doesn't care about wildlife, just his wheat field would welcome you. Now a land owner that owns the land for hunting, or a leasor that has leased the land from a land owner that cares only about the money and not the wildlife, would have a different opinion of you out the trapping and hunting 24/7. Mostly at night when no one is there. A lot of big bucks that land owners and leasors have put a lot of money, time, and work into have dissapeared under this condition. Have had many people on my ranches that have only been there to run cattle, pig hunt , or predator hunt, turn into trophy deer hunters when they think no one else is around.

KM
Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: flintknapper] #7646757 10/30/19 10:32 AM
S
Stub Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by westtexaswatkins
If I were leasing a place for the hunting rights I would not want someone in there trapping hogs.
I guess it should be in the lease contract if the land owner had a trapper using the same property. Most hunters these days whether they admit it or not really like having a few hogs around for some extra trigger time.

Agree that I would not want someone trapping right before and during deer season up

Originally Posted by flintknapper
To me ( a landowner with pigs) I would say you are doing it pretty 'right'.

WHEN and HOW you check your traps.... or remove hogs would be the primary concern.

Provided you can do that at times when it doesn't disturb hunters (or the deer) I see no issue trapping during the deer season. To be effective, you can't just stop trapping for 3 months.

I've been trying to control hogs on my property for about 30 yrs. now. I have large pen traps, snares, two dedicated hog stands with feeders and lights. I put a 'dent' in them, but of course...they just keep making more. You have to do whatever you can to reduce their numbers. A SINGLE hog and it's offspring (in a normal lifespan) will produce many hundreds of hogs. So taking even ONE...is worth the effort.

Landowners will always love you. Hunters (especially those who lease) will revile you.

Hunters seem to want something other than deer to shoot, they could care less the damage hogs do and the impact they have on the environment.

If I had my way...there would not be a single feral hog in the State of Texas. But they are here to stay and an entire industry has been built around them.

Trap on....and good luck.

I believe you are way off base with that statement!

Almost every hunter that I know are great stewards of the land and absolutely do more for the environment than regular folks.
Most hunters do not like hogs because they scare away the deer they covet and tear up feeders, fields etc.
Sure if the hogs are there they like shooting them for sport and some for table fare.

The small place I use to manage the hogs were so bad one year I reached out to a trapper. The agreement was he could trap from the day after deer season up to Septemeber 1.
And I agree with you the world would be a better place without them rotten, rooting bastages!

texas flag

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: El campo] #7646817 10/30/19 12:16 PM
P
PigMoney Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted by El campo
I could see how a land owner that doesn't care about wildlife, just his wheat field would welcome you.
Now a land owner that owns the land for hunting, or a leasor that has leased the land from a land owner that cares only about the money and not the wildlife, would have a different opinion of you out the trapping and hunting 24/7.
Mostly at night when no one is there. A lot of big bucks that land owners and leasors have put a lot of money, time, and work into have dissapeared under this condition. Have had many people on my ranches that have only been there to run cattle, pig hunt , or predator hunt, turn into trophy deer hunters when they think no one else is around.

None of the places I trap so far are strictly hunting/recreational places. In fact I'm not so sure I know of any of the other trappers trapping on recreational land. I'm trapping on land that is owned by locals, and those locals still actually try to scratch a living out of it. Hunting is merely a temporary fall subsidy to their income. And most of the locals DO care about their wildlife as it is a source of income. When I load out pigs at night I am on a place no longer than 30 minutes. I'm not out there to hunt, although some people of lower moral fiber may abuse this and I could see it being a problem. I have actually replaced felons that are trappers because the landowner didn't feel safe with them on the land (its a long story as to why they were even allowed on in the first place, but hint hint they were a neighbors farm hand briefly before they went back to the pen).

“We don’t rent pigs!”- Hat Creek Cattle Company
Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: Stub] #7646820 10/30/19 12:17 PM
P
PigMoney Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted by Stub
Originally Posted by westtexaswatkins
If I were leasing a place for the hunting rights I would not want someone in there trapping hogs.
I guess it should be in the lease contract if the land owner had a trapper using the same property. Most hunters these days whether they admit it or not really like having a few hogs around for some extra trigger time.

Agree that I would not want someone trapping right before and during deer season up

Originally Posted by flintknapper
To me ( a landowner with pigs) I would say you are doing it pretty 'right'.

WHEN and HOW you check your traps.... or remove hogs would be the primary concern.

Provided you can do that at times when it doesn't disturb hunters (or the deer) I see no issue trapping during the deer season. To be effective, you can't just stop trapping for 3 months.

I've been trying to control hogs on my property for about 30 yrs. now. I have large pen traps, snares, two dedicated hog stands with feeders and lights. I put a 'dent' in them, but of course...they just keep making more. You have to do whatever you can to reduce their numbers. A SINGLE hog and it's offspring (in a normal lifespan) will produce many hundreds of hogs. So taking even ONE...is worth the effort.

Landowners will always love you. Hunters (especially those who lease) will revile you.

Hunters seem to want something other than deer to shoot, they could care less the damage hogs do and the impact they have on the environment.

If I had my way...there would not be a single feral hog in the State of Texas. But they are here to stay and an entire industry has been built around them.

Trap on....and good luck.

I believe you are way off base with that statement!

Almost every hunter that I know are great stewards of the land and absolutely do more for the environment than regular folks.
Most hunters do not like hogs because they scare away the deer they covet and tear up feeders, fields etc.
Sure if the hogs are there they like shooting them for sport and some for table fare.

The small place I use to manage the hogs were so bad one year I reached out to a trapper. The agreement was he could trap from the day after deer season up to Septemeber 1.
And I agree with you the world would be a better place without them rotten, rooting bastages!

This is the kind of helpful insight I'm looking for. I wouldn't have a problem with this.

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7646829 10/30/19 12:29 PM
P
PigMoney Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P
The main scenario I see unfolding on a place with hunters is:

Hunters don't want trappers because they paid for the privilege of shooting deer/pigs. The landowner wants the hunter to shoot all the pigs they see but hunters won't if it's deer season because the shot may/may not scare away Mr. Big Horns they spend thousands to shoot. They want to wait until after season and hunt pigs all summer long.

Or...

Landowner is either A: an absentee and doesn't care about hunters being on his property every weekend all year long, or has a good relationship/family friends with hunters and enjoys them looking after the place while they're away. Or is B - Only expecting and welcoming of hunters during deer season and doesn't want them out there the rest of the year, and is tired of the hogs that the hunters can't control so he enlist a trapper, or worst case, tries to trap them himself with one or two box traps and in turn creates trap shy pigs that continue to multiply.

I'm beginning to think it's just not worth the effort and hassle to trap on a place with an expensive lease in place. Unfortunately the consensus in the inner hog trapper world is they are getting closer and closer to releasing a poison for hog control, which I think everyone still opposes. They are still having problems with it crumbling in the hog feeder and killing non target species.

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7646842 10/30/19 12:43 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
He shouldn't have confronted you but rather contact the landowner. Leasing has its drawbacks.

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7646845 10/30/19 12:44 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
It shouldn’t take a lot of deep introspection to realize that anytime you are out and about during deer season on a property that is leased out for deer hunting - there are likely to be issues. Whatever the background circumstances are. I have my own place. I have a hog trapper just like you. He is not allowed from Sept. 1 - Jan. 31.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7646857 10/30/19 01:01 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by PigMoney
New guy here long time lurker (like 10 yrs+) but a particular situation i just had involving a cross between two hobbies has me begging the question: do you guys that spend big money on a lease then a lot of money keeping the pigs away from all that money you spend on corn, all really hate the local pig trappers? Now, I’ll admit that’s a loaded question, I know not all hunters are the same, some of the places I trap on they are good as gold and appreciate what I do. And I’m also a deer hunter, but trapping pigs is my main hobby and shooting does for eating the second.

What happened was I was out checking traps and this hunter, who shows up about twice a year and complains about never seeing deer on the friend of mines place he leases, straight up told me he didn’t want me out there at all and would shoot any pigs he found in my traps, as he liked eating them. Didn’t go over so well with me and we came to a mutual agreement after landowner told him I could trap anywhere I wanted on the place and while he had shot 1 pig that weekend I had trapped 30 that were rooting his wheat field in 1 week. Landowner went as far as to tell me he’d offer me the lease (it’s small) when he gets tired of out of town guy trying to make all the rules.

I trap almost exclusively with a cellular trap and rarely use box traps except on places I have no signal. I have access to 6 places spanning almost 15,000 acres. I don’t pull my trigger on opening weekend and try not to on other weekends during deer season unless it’s 10 or more pigs in the trap or I know the hunters aren’t there. I get the pigs out at night as they’re easier to load and you’d be surprised at the amount of deer that just stand in the field as I’m driving by. I feel like I do the best that I can as far as being courteous and not spooking game since guys spend big money on some of these leases, but truth be told they see my truck so often the deer don’t even spook.

Long rant over, I apologize for that, but how many other guys don’t mind the trapper helping out with the pig problem?

P.S. the landowner who’s losing crops will always prefer to have the pigs removed ASAP vs waiting for his hunters to kill them off, just a FYI from the ranchers mouth passed on to you guys. Also FYI I can trap an entire sounder and you will have more pigs in 30 days sometimes less!

Are you paying $10-30 acre to trap? 150k- 450k?

Maybe if you subsidized their overall lease and investment costs they might be a little more tolerant of you cruising around on their recreational investment.

He should of said something to land owners instead of you but if the roles where reversed I feel you would respond same way

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7646903 10/30/19 01:32 PM
T
TEXASLEFTY Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
Online Content
THF Whiskey Sommelier
T
What if..... the hog trapper decides to move his trap that’s right by your feeder while your in your blind. Just wait, it gets better.... he ask me not to block the road next time please.

Originally Posted by Chunky Monkey
Never been to a camping world. I prefer Dick's to be honest.
Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7646972 10/30/19 02:02 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
What are some of the negative experiences, if for nothing else so that I can avoid making those same mistakes?

Both instances I had trappers setting hog traps right next to my feeder pens.

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7646978 10/30/19 02:06 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
My thoughts and general observations.

I’m a non resident land owner and hunter. I have way too many mostly nocturnal pigs. No way I want anybody on my place during deer season.

Grandsons go there some when I can’t make it. They’re over 21 and have some sense but no telling where a stray bullet could wind up. They know where everyone is. I think it’s dangerous during deer season.

No way either trapping or hunting is going to slow down the pig invasion anyway.

I tried trapping with mostly no success. But, I did find a young buck in it with a broken neck. I quit trying..

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 10/30/19 02:23 PM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7646986 10/30/19 02:10 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
just curious ... what are you doing with all the hogs you are trapping at these multiple properties? I am guessing selling as live weight?

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7647007 10/30/19 02:23 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I think that a possible solution to pigs might be the big circular traps that notify the LO via cell phone what is eating the corn so he can drop the trap around the whole bunch might help and could be done during non hunting season. I’ve seen them advertised but bet they are pretty expensive to lease or buy.

Anybody have any experience with these?

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7647009 10/30/19 02:24 PM
P
PigMoney Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
New guy here long time lurker (like 10 yrs+) but a particular situation i just had involving a cross between two hobbies has me begging the question: do you guys that spend big money on a lease then a lot of money keeping the pigs away from all that money you spend on corn, all really hate the local pig trappers? Now, I’ll admit that’s a loaded question, I know not all hunters are the same, some of the places I trap on they are good as gold and appreciate what I do. And I’m also a deer hunter, but trapping pigs is my main hobby and shooting does for eating the second.

What happened was I was out checking traps and this hunter, who shows up about twice a year and complains about never seeing deer on the friend of mines place he leases, straight up told me he didn’t want me out there at all and would shoot any pigs he found in my traps, as he liked eating them. Didn’t go over so well with me and we came to a mutual agreement after landowner told him I could trap anywhere I wanted on the place and while he had shot 1 pig that weekend I had trapped 30 that were rooting his wheat field in 1 week. Landowner went as far as to tell me he’d offer me the lease (it’s small) when he gets tired of out of town guy trying to make all the rules.

I trap almost exclusively with a cellular trap and rarely use box traps except on places I have no signal. I have access to 6 places spanning almost 15,000 acres. I don’t pull my trigger on opening weekend and try not to on other weekends during deer season unless it’s 10 or more pigs in the trap or I know the hunters aren’t there. I get the pigs out at night as they’re easier to load and you’d be surprised at the amount of deer that just stand in the field as I’m driving by. I feel like I do the best that I can as far as being courteous and not spooking game since guys spend big money on some of these leases, but truth be told they see my truck so often the deer don’t even spook.

Long rant over, I apologize for that, but how many other guys don’t mind the trapper helping out with the pig problem?

P.S. the landowner who’s losing crops will always prefer to have the pigs removed ASAP vs waiting for his hunters to kill them off, just a FYI from the ranchers mouth passed on to you guys. Also FYI I can trap an entire sounder and you will have more pigs in 30 days sometimes less!

Maybe if you subsidized their overall lease and investment costs they might be a little more tolerant of you cruising around on their recreational investment.

He should of said something to land owners instead of you but if the roles where reversed I feel you would respond same way

This particular situation I've been told what he is paying and have a standing offer to lease it next year for double (still single digit $ per acre). Being the courteous guy I feel like I am, I am going to let the land owner offer him to match it before I accept. Exact thing happened to my dad on our lease back in the 90's and now that I'm in the financial situation to lease a small place I feel it's my turn to do what was done to us before. Capitalism. So, no it's not anywhere close to $10 and acre to even hunt it, but it's also not a primo megahorn deer mecca either, but to answer your question if given the opportunity I would lease a place out from under someone who is giving both the landowner and me grief, then I would set my trap right next to my feeder to keep the pigs in check which allows the deer to move in, which is exactly how I hunt my other place.

Don't get me wrong, I get it. You guys spend tons of money and don't want other guys messing up your hunts that you pay time and money into. I feel like buy utilizing a cellular trap and putting it 100yds+ away from hunting setups, and discussing with the hunters when (after season, during the week) etc. to actively trap that I can be a beneficial asset (for free) to you're hunting setup, and actually improve the number and quality of deer you see by removing their competition. Obviously this means not even pulling the trigger on the trap when one is in their blind, or even on the property. So should the deer hunters subsidize my corn that the dozens of deer consume? For me they are a non-target nuisance species when I'm trapping pigs.

The consensuses with not only my buddy but another place I trap and am allowed to deer hunt on is a lot of the landowners do not want a set of rules for people to complain about, but rather a good set of guys that have common sense. I can see by the variety of responses that its just one of those "play it by ear" scenarios. Some want a trapper, others content with no trapper. Thanks guys for all the input.

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: Dave Davidson] #7647010 10/30/19 02:25 PM
P
PigMoney Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
I think that a possible solution to pigs might be the big circular traps that notify the LO via cell phone what is eating the corn so he can drop the trap around the whole bunch might help and could be done during non hunting season. I’ve seen them advertised but bet they are pretty expensive to lease or buy.

Anybody have any experience with these?

This is the trap I use exclusively, It was a pretty good investment but one I feel worthwhile and allows for "tactical" per se trapping.

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PMK] #7647019 10/30/19 02:28 PM
P
PigMoney Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted by PMK
just curious ... what are you doing with all the hogs you are trapping at these multiple properties? I am guessing selling as live weight?

Yes they are taken and sold to an approved buyer, which offsets all of the cost of corn and gas, traps. Prices are good now which allows one to pocket a little extra change, but as of this week they are posed to drop significantly, which makes it not worth my time (it is a hobby, by the way) in which I simply stop trapping them and go back to shooting them.

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7647023 10/30/19 02:31 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
After deer season you can sure come to my place in Montague County.

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7647038 10/30/19 02:38 PM
P
PigMoney Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
P
Current live pic of non target species

Attached Files 538E46D5-C00A-4E08-BC86-610CB5242B7F.png

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7647079 10/30/19 03:04 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K

Why would he pay to trap?
He's getting rid of a nuisance animal. Deer hunting is an industry, and trapping pigs shouldn't be.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7647124 10/30/19 03:41 PM
S
Schpanky Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
hunted a place where we had a guy working traps. was never an issue for us as he set up far away enough that it didn't affect the deer hunting. We met him several times, really nice guy. gave us permission to use his traps on weekends when we were hunting and we caught and ate many hogs that way. When we left the lease, we'd prop the traps open so the pigs could eat what we'd been feeding and he'd go back out a few days later and set...I've actually had more trouble with the cattle guys over the years....dropping round bales within 40 yards of a feed pen just before season begins....actually had that happen multiple times on several leases....not very nice.

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: KWood_TSU] #7647128 10/30/19 03:46 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

Why would he pay to trap?
He's getting rid of a nuisance animal. Deer hunting is an industry, and trapping pigs shouldn't be.

I don’t think you understand the analogy.....

Deer hunting can be expensive so understanding why deer hunting leasee’s dont want you cruising around is understandable when you look at investment dollars. No different then oil/wind production having time and day restrictions on entering properties.

With that said it’s on the leasee to have that conversation with the landowner not trapper

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7647136 10/30/19 03:51 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P

pretty cool set up! My parents had a friend that was big into trapping around my home county (central TX) after he retired from the city utilities job he had for all his adult life.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: Schpanky] #7647141 10/30/19 03:55 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Schpanky
hunted a place where we had a guy working traps. was never an issue for us as he set up far away enough that it didn't affect the deer hunting. We met him several times, really nice guy. gave us permission to use his traps on weekends when we were hunting and we caught and ate many hogs that way. When we left the lease, we'd prop the traps open so the pigs could eat what we'd been feeding and he'd go back out a few days later and set...I've actually had more trouble with the cattle guys over the years....dropping round bales within 40 yards of a feed pen just before season begins....actually had that happen multiple times on several leases....not very nice.

Yep nothing like waking up one morning to a bunch of clanging trailers coming in and then having dogs and cowboys running all over the place for two days while you’re trying to hunt.

I will say it was almost worth it just to watch those dogs.

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7647145 10/30/19 03:57 PM
H
HoldPoint Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H

my farming buddy runs a couple of those setups; the most effective method I've seen so far. The last batch we took out was 46 mostly piglets.

Re: Be nice to your local pig trappers. [Re: PigMoney] #7647173 10/30/19 04:18 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
My trapper said that boar in front weighed 310 lbs. Also says the key to effective trapping is to make sure every pig in the sounder is in the trap before you shut the gate. After he works a few months I am mostly hog-free for about 12-18 months and then they slowly migrate in and build up again.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide