Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7644413 10/28/19 04:29 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
That’s all well and good flintknapper and I grew up in east TX and my place is in east TX also and I also think just like you do and would do all I could to not mess up deer hunting for my neighbors. Just like you do. I have been a deer hunter all my life and take it pretty damn seriously on my place. Always have.

Actually I grew up in Austin, went to school there....spent my formative years all around Central Texas (until I was about 32 yrs. old).

I am a 'transplant' to East Texas (been here the last 33 yrs). Long enough to assimilate, but not long enough to not be that guy that moved here from Austin. wink

My wife's family is from these parts...so SHE is 'people' and I am 'married in'. That's how it works in Deep East Texas I have discovered.

That might also make my arguments null and void....I don't know.

Last edited by flintknapper; 10/28/19 04:30 AM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: flintknapper] #7644502 10/28/19 12:18 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
That’s all well and good flintknapper and I grew up in east TX and my place is in east TX also and I also think just like you do and would do all I could to not mess up deer hunting for my neighbors. Just like you do. I have been a deer hunter all my life and take it pretty damn seriously on my place. Always have.

Actually I grew up in Austin, went to school there....spent my formative years all around Central Texas (until I was about 32 yrs. old).

I am a 'transplant' to East Texas (been here the last 33 yrs). Long enough to assimilate, but not long enough to not be that guy that moved here from Austin. wink

My wife's family is from these parts...so SHE is 'people' and I am 'married in'. That's how it works in Deep East Texas I have discovered.

That might also make my arguments null and void....I don't know.

I know what you mean and yes that’s the way it is. If you live long enough, the generations below you will assume you’ve always been there. smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7644614 10/28/19 02:04 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Most neighbors are not psychic and cannot telepathically read minds. In my experience, none are. If you have a disagreement with your neighbor, complaining about it online isn't going to do you any more good getting resolution than then previous two years of not talking to them about it. You can ask your neighbor to do anything. The neighbor doesn't have to agree or comply, but maybe he will understand your plight. Maybe he would be willing to hold off on coyote calling opening weekend or opening day.

One thing is certain. There is no reason to expect him to change the behavior you don't like if you don't bring it to his attention. How you breach the subject will matter greatly. Telling him that you think what he is legally doing is rude or inconsiderate is not going to win over your neighbor.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7644722 10/28/19 03:18 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Today’s norms and not the norms many remember. Almost every situation is based on the I syndrome. I pay for the lease/land, I am not breaking any law, I know what I want to do, and how I want to enjoy my life. Most people are afflicted with tunnel vision in regards to their life. It’s the world we have created. Technology and gadgets allow us to be self serving constantly. Now society is a bunch of disjointed moments, ideas, situations, and interactions. Many based in the false world of social media where key board bravery rules. This further desensitizes us to others around us. Right or wrong, it’s the world we have created.

Proverbs 2
Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7644723 10/28/19 03:20 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
"We had this happen to us last year on the first 2 weekends. They were using an electronic call and playing it over and over within a few hundred yards of our lease from about 4:30 pm till dark."

If it bothers you, why not skip the first 2 weekends?

Since you are a lessor, why not go to your land owner and voice your concerns?

Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7644744 10/28/19 03:34 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Deer hunting doesn't take precedent over any other type of hunting.

Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: Choctaw] #7645138 10/28/19 09:16 PM
JDP Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by Choctaw

Agreed.

I'm more into hog/predator hunting personally. I still harvest a deer every now and then - only for meat though. I hunt my own property. I'd run a caller during deer season if I felt it was there was a good opportunity to call in a coyote. Certainly wouldn't blast the caller for hours, but if I saw some coyotes off in the distance and it was 4pm on a Saturday on opening weekend... I'd fire it up to try to draw them in.

I have a neighbor who lives in another state and leases his 50 acre plot to a couple of locals. I certainly wouldn't want to piss his hunters off, but I also wouldn't go out of my way to disrupt my own hunting activities. It's my land. I worked my [censored] off to acquire it. I live several hours away so anytime I get an opportunity to hunt - whatever it is - it's a treat.

That said... I also like to blast off a few (or more) rounds everytime I go out. I wouldn't do that during deer season out of respect for the hunters next door. I also wouldn't take my ATVs down the path near their property if I knew they were hunting. Essentially... I'd never want to ruin someone's hunt, but I wouldn't let someone's hunting interfere with my own smile

Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: machine73] #7645154 10/28/19 09:41 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted by machine73
Opening day isn't some holy day where its a sin to make noise outside (except of course to shoot a gun at deer, because somehow shooting a gun at an actual deer doesn't spook them and ruin someone's else's hunt)

Great point.

Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: Choctaw] #7645181 10/28/19 09:56 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Most neighbors are not psychic and cannot telepathically read minds. In my experience, none are. If you have a disagreement with your neighbor, complaining about it online isn't going to do you any more good getting resolution than then previous two years of not talking to them about it. You can ask your neighbor to do anything. The neighbor doesn't have to agree or comply, but maybe he will understand your plight. Maybe he would be willing to hold off on coyote calling opening weekend or opening day.

One thing is certain. There is no reason to expect him to change the behavior you don't like if you don't bring it to his attention. How you breach the subject will matter greatly. Telling him that you think what he is legally doing is rude or inconsiderate is not going to win over your neighbor.

Originally Posted by Choctaw

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7645189 10/28/19 10:03 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted by TPACK
.......They were using an electronic call and playing it over and over within a few hundred yards of our lease..........

IMHO. If they are predator calling and stayed "a few hundred yards" away, it is possible they are being considerate by not predator calling at the popup 60 yards from your fenceline. IMHO from over 40 years hunting experience "A few hundred yards" should not disturb your deer any more than someone "a few hundred yards" away driving an ATV, Ranchers Truck driving roads, Oil well pumper running, Tractor working, Rancher calling cows with siren, someone running a chainsaw, hunters slamming truck doors, storms making thunder, etc. Predators kill stuff, dying animals cry and scream, Coyotes sing with joy of the kill. It is as natural a sound in the country as the others listed. Deer don't pay attention to those sounds when those sounds are "a few hundred yards" away from them. I don't either.

I can hear my neighboring hunters talking at their camp 600 yards across a valley from our camp. If there is no wind, I can make out some of what they are saying and I don't hear very well. It is also possible your predator caller was farther away than you thought he was. Sound carries a surprising distance when there is no background road and city noise to drown it out.

Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: garyrapp55] #7646097 10/29/19 07:17 PM
K
kk66 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
Originally Posted by garyrapp55
I see both sides of coin. The guy/s tagged out and want to continue hunting so they switch to yotes. They are on their property, abiding to law (I assume), and you are twisted because they got to close to your fence? Buy more property, these guys have done nothing wrong. Some guys invest a lot into their hunt and when they have limited time to do so, they are entitled to use that time fully.

I tend to agree, but I also doubt that any noise they make calling isn't something that the deer hear on a regular basis so I would be curious how much impact this would actually have on a deer hunt

Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: kk66] #7646111 10/29/19 07:30 PM
JDP Ranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by kk66

I tend to agree, but I also doubt that any noise they make calling isn't something that the deer hear on a regular basis so I would be curious how much impact this would actually have on a deer hunt

To add to this - I've watched on several occasions where a group of deer was unphased when a pack of coyotes was yipping and yelping nearby. Loud of enough to make me nervous, but didn't seem to bother the deer.

Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7646116 10/29/19 07:32 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
just me- i get more unhappy about those that do the "new glock field test and magazine dump"
on opening morning. i worry about some pinhead sending a few my direction.

hopefully a new big thing/fad will come along, and all those "hunters" that can't tolerate small
discomforts will go do something else and stay out of the woods.

there's always fishing to do in areas where the "pros" won't take their new boats for fear of a scratch

Last edited by maximum; 10/29/19 07:40 PM.
Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: fishdfly] #7646171 10/29/19 08:27 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Originally Posted by machine73
Opening day isn't some holy day where its a sin to make noise outside (except of course to shoot a gun at deer, because somehow shooting a gun at an actual deer doesn't spook them and ruin someone's else's hunt)

Great point.

I think that for some deer hunters, hunting is something of a virtual religion. Opening day might as well be full blown Easter services. They have all sorts of taboos, supernatural beliefs, traditions, etc. Some get bent out of shape when something is perceived to be an affront to their religious beliefs about how and what deer hunting should be. I am going to guess that they only go to deer church a few times a year and want the full Fátima experience. Failure of the full experience can be attributed to the sacrilegious practices being conducted in the surrounding area, breaking of taboos, etc.

Originally Posted by fishdfly
"We had this happen to us last year on the first 2 weekends. They were using an electronic call and playing it over and over within a few hundred yards of our lease from about 4:30 pm till dark."

If it bothers you, why not skip the first 2 weekends?

I have a buddy who refuses to hunt opening weekend. For him, it has been some of the worst hunting. In his estimation, there are too many people in the woods, too much shooting, too many ATVs, creating too much commotion and it creeps out a lot of the deer. He usually tries to hunt middle of the first week of deer season when all the noisy weekend warriors have gone home and the deer have relaxed a bit. He says it is much more peaceful and the hunting is better.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: TPACK] #7646208 10/29/19 09:00 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Deer church, that's funny.

I own a small piece of land in East Texas and used to be a regular deer hunter. I have grown to let them be (usually) and have shifted to hogs. Obviously, I'm hunting at night now. The neighbors I know don't hunt so I don't have this dilemma. Even if they did hunt deer, I can't say I'm not going to kill pigs on my place because of it. In fact, I might find it inconsiderate that someone would expect me not to kill pigs at night because they intend to hunt deer. I only get in those woods once a month or so, I intend to do on my place as I darn well please when I'm there unless provided good reason not to. Seems maybe some need to take a look in the mirror after deer church. What I think I hear is, "don't you hunt while I'm hunting because your hunting disrupts my hunting".

Re: Inconsiderate Hunters [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7646221 10/29/19 09:13 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
He usually tries to hunt middle of the first week of deer season when all the noisy weekend warriors have gone home and the deer have relaxed a bit. He says it is much more peaceful and the hunting is better.

^^^^^

Most properties this would be correct. Also, by the second weekend...a lot of deer movement doesn't even begin until after 9:00 a.m. when for some reason a lot of deer hunters go back to camp/home.

On a still, quiet morning....I can literally hear truck doors slamming, people talking, ATV noise, etc....for miles. The deer quickly pattern those hunters (where I am) and I literally laugh to myself each year as I hear them leave the woods just as the deer are coming out. Maybe other demands on their time dictate it...but for the life of me I can't understand why some folks 'religiously' hunt from 7-9 p.m. and then leave. Come back at 3:30 and leave again at sundown.

After the first couple of weeks....I don't even go to my stand until 10 a.m. then hunt mid-day to dark (the heat of rut being the exception). I see a lot deer other folks miss that way. It helps that I don't give damn about football too...so rarely is there a reason for me to be at home mid-day. To each his own...however.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide