Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: machinist] #7639927 10/23/19 04:17 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
There is such a thing called waste of game...

Whether you intended to kill it or not, you know a wildlife resource / game animal is going to waste and you did nothing to prevent the waste.

A simple call to your GW. May have let you keep it, may have donated it to a needy family, either way it wouldn't have gone to waste.

If you're afraid to call the GW, the 'story' and the truth likely don't match up.

Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: Rustler] #7640015 10/23/19 05:36 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Originally Posted by Rustler
There is such a thing called waste of game...

The "waste of game" offense only applies if you killed or wounded the animal. The scenario provided in this thread does not deal with an animal killed or wounded by a hunter - but rather an animal killed by another animal. Thus, the "waste of game" offense is not applicable to this situation.

A simple call to your GW. May have let you keep it, may have donated it to a needy family, either way it wouldn't have gone to waste.

Technically, it wouldn't go to waste leaving it there - scavengers have to eat too. It might not go to the eating cause you prefer, but it wouldn't go to waste.

If you're afraid to call the GW, the 'story' and the truth likely don't match up.

Absent a legal obligation to call the GW, the vast majority of people are not going to do so - and not doing so is absolutely NOT evidence of unlawful behavior (or other wrongdoing) or evidence that their story and the truth don't match up. GWs are not the gods of all hunting matters that need to be called up and involved in all things involving hunting and game. Most people prefer to be left alone to enjoy their recreation and not to have GWs questioning their honesty or screwing around on their property. There are enough hassles in life to not intentionally ADD to the hassles you have to deal with by calling a GW when there is no legal obligation to do so. And if this thread proves anything, it's that different people will have different opinions on any given situation - you call a GW who ends up with a different opinion on what happened, you may end up with a ticket or talking to a judge, it's just simply not worth it. Once a GW is involved, the TRUTH doesn't matter, only the OPINION of the GW.

If GWs want a call in every situation like this, then the state will have to pass a "No penalty" law for people who make the call - to prevent people from being penalized based on the OPINION of a GW. And even if they did pass such a law, I'd wager that most people still wouldn't call. As a general rule people don't do things that are inconvenient for them.

We live in a age where LEOs (including GWs) don't just merely exist to do the right thing, enforce our laws, and protect people (or game in the case of GWs) - we live in an age where LEOs are a significant revenue generating arm of government. When generating revenue is part of the job, you lose public trust. Personally, I think most GW's are great honest people who try to do the right thing by people most of the time. But not all the time. I doubt anyone here who has ever watched "Lone Star Law", hasn't seen some GWs do something and thought "That's kind of an [censored] move" - and that's stuff they know is going to be viewed by the public on TV!

Last edited by Binary; 10/23/19 05:53 PM.
Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: Rustler] #7640024 10/23/19 05:49 PM
T
TrophySites Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T

Nobody called our local GW for anything growing up, even legitimate/truthful matters, as he'd find a way to make 4 arrests, traumatize the kids, and cover everyone in cigar spit.

I'm happy to say the GWs around us now are amazing, and on account of knowing my childhood GW are extremely understanding as to why it took me a while to trust them.

Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: machinist] #7640044 10/23/19 06:10 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Lighten up Francis, it was just an opinion.

Simple conversation - Hey GW, you won't believe this, I shot a buck and another buck ran into him after the shot and I guess he broke his neck, whadda you think I should do?
GW - tag, clean & keep him, or, gut him I'll be out in a few minutes to pick the buck up, Joe Baker broke his leg & can't work his wife lost her job 2 months ago they got 3 kids I'm gonna take it to them.

You talk like one of them big city attorneys that sit around thinking up ways & contract wording to legally screw folks out of their money.

Might explain why you have such a low opinion of GW's & LEO in general.

Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: Rustler] #7640063 10/23/19 06:39 PM
D
DeleteThisAccount Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D

ummm okay...that's all I was offering as well. No need to take my opinion personal.

You talk like one of them big city attorneys that sit around thinking up ways & contract wording to legally screw folks out of their money.

Yeah, nobody actually does that. But I'm sure there are some TV shows out there that make laymen believe otherwise.

Not sure how my actual statement of "I think most GW's are great honest people who try to do the right thing by people most of the time" is interpreted as me having a low opinion of GW's and LEOs... I would actually call that pretty high praise. But that's the problem with people these days, they hear whatever they want to hear and interpret things however they feel like interpreting them.

Now, I do have a low opinion of the government and the systems in place - it's all broken and screws citizens every single day...but the system and the people working in the system are two different things entirely. Nothing I stated was anything more than FAIR criticism of the system.

Last edited by Binary; 10/23/19 06:42 PM.
Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: machinist] #7640066 10/23/19 06:44 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Im no buny hugger but I wasn't raised to waste either. Ive eaten my fair share of deer hogs and javalina. If I literally watched this legal deer I killed run into knock down and kill the other (not legal deer" I would contact a warden to try and use the deer.

I believe if it had occurred in a non AR 2 buck county and I had both my buck tags I would probably just tag them both.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7640087 10/23/19 07:09 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by Binary

ummm okay...that's all I was offering as well. No need to take my opinion personal.

Yeah, nobody actually does that. But I'm sure there are some TV shows out there that make laymen believe otherwise.

Not sure how my actual statement of "I think most GW's are great honest people who try to do the right thing by people most of the time" is interpreted as me having a low opinion of GW's and LEOs... I would actually call that pretty high praise. But that's the problem with people these days, they hear whatever they want to hear and interpret things however they feel like interpreting them.

Now, I do have a low opinion of the government and the systems in place - it's all broken and screws citizens every single day...but the system and the people working in the system are two different things entirely. Nothing I stated was anything more than FAIR criticism of the system.

Well then, it's clear I owe you an apology for the personal jab I gave ya... and I took your words with a tone of anger or disgust, my mistake.

My second response more clearly illustrated my thoughts. Just a quick simple call.

I haven't had a negative experience with any GW anywhere in this state that I didn't deserve, going back more than 50 years.

I occasionally talk to the GW's in the counties I have cows in & in the past leased to hunters, sometimes 3 or 4 times a week or month, sometimes twice a year, sometimes they call me, just to shoot the breeze or ask an ' If or didja or have you heard or seen ' question, or let me know some type of shenanigans is taking place near one of my interests and keep an eye out deal.

Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: machinist] #7640120 10/23/19 07:38 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
If I were to find myself in these circumstances, unlikely, but if...I don't even think I would try to drag the second deer to the brush. Dragging it away would tend to make some think it shady. Personal choice on whether to call the GW or not, but to me, this does not meet any part of wanton waste - more like just a traffic accident.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: machinist] #7640127 10/23/19 07:42 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I don’t have anything against GWs. In fact, I like the ones in my county and my hunting county.

That said, I don’t feel the need to call them every time some issue comes up on my place. I usually handle it. I have never known anyone to voluntarily call the GW about anything other than reporting a poaching violation/trespassing on their property.

Some of you must lay awake nights thinking about all the road and predator-killed deer that die on a daily basis.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: Stub] #7640179 10/23/19 08:50 PM
T
TiggerV Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Originally Posted by Stub
Originally Posted by machinist
I know my neighbor pretty well and he says that was what happened. He has been deer hunting more years than most of you are old.
I absolutely believe him. He said it broke the smaller deer's neck

If you know your neighbor that well and he has been hunting longer than most of us are old then he should know what TPWD game laws are and what to do in that situation.

First tag the deer he shot then immediately call the game warden and explain what happened and follow his instructions on what to do with the other deer.

What law states that exactly????

Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: TiggerV] #7640695 10/24/19 12:35 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by TiggerV
I know my neighbor pretty well and he says that was what happened. He has been deer hunting more years than most of you are old.

If you know your neighbor that well and he has been hunting longer than most of us are old then he should know what TPWD game laws are and what to do in that situation.

First tag the deer he shot then immediately call the game warden and explain what happened and follow his instructions on what to do with the other deer.

My bad I should have not referenced TPWD game laws! Common sense should prevail in this scenario
Even though he did not directly kill that other buck, his actions (wounding that other buck) indirectly killed that second buck so there might be a legal requirement to contact the game warden.
I have reached out to a couple of game wardens and posed this scenario to them, waiting for their response.

And Thank You for highlighting my comments in Red, that is so special wink roflmao I would have never known your question was directed at me hammer

Last edited by Stub; 10/24/19 12:36 PM.

texas Faith, Family and Freedom flag

Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: machinist] #7640700 10/24/19 12:41 PM
D
DQ Kid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Can't we all just get along...Seriously, a rather interesting and unusual situation; guess I'd have to exercise full transparency with Game Warden and hope for the best....

Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: DQ Kid] #7640713 10/24/19 01:02 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Can't we all just get along...Seriously, a rather interesting and unusual situation; guess I'd have to exercise full transparency with Game Warden and hope for the best....

Agree on both counts cheers

Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7640717 10/24/19 01:07 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Honestly?

I would have tagged my deer, removed the backstraps from the other deer to eat at camp, and drug the rest of it into the brush for the predators.

I like the way you think.

Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: TiggerV] #7640733 10/24/19 01:23 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by TiggerV

Heard back from one of the Game Wardens and initially he agreed with me and when I replied back to him for clarity if the person is required by law to contact the game warden and he replied " not necessarily"
So I guess there maybe some Gray area there confused2

Anyways when I am not 100% right I will and do admit my mistakes hammer

I still think the Red was cute and special thank you laugh bolt

Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: don k] #7640767 10/24/19 02:00 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by don k
Honestly?

I would have tagged my deer, removed the backstraps from the other deer to eat at camp, and drug the rest of it into the brush for the predators.

Well we know that is illegal, question is as long as you are going to break the law why would you only remove the backstraps and not take the rest of the deer hammer

Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: DeleteThisAccount] #7640769 10/24/19 02:03 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Binary
I would say that there is no legal obligation on behalf of the hunter to do anything at all for the deer he didn't kill.

That said, if the second deer's neck was broken and there was no puncture wounds that could be mistaken for an arrow/bullet, I would call the GW so that some needy family gets some venison.

If there were any puncture wounds at all, I would leave it for scavengers. While we may live in a country where one is innocent until proven guilty, the system has a tendency to treat us as guilty until proven innocent. And I simply wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of trying to explain to a GW how I didn't shoot the deer and how that puncture wound was not caused by me - and hoping he believed me. If the responses on THIS thread shows anything - it's that making someone else believe this fluke incident happened the way you said it did is an uphill battle - the likely default position is going to be that you're telling a lie. With no legal obligation, why even risk consequences if you don't have to.

This person has common sense and logic! Nice.

Many of the other posts just demonstrate why our society is the way it is.

Is this situation true? Who knows. Possible. If it didn’t happen that way, why tell someone?
However you feel/believed really happened, you can’t prove it.

Proverbs 2
Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: Stub] #7640782 10/24/19 02:15 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Honestly?

Well we know that is illegal, question is as long as you are going to break the law why would you only remove the backstraps and not take the rest of the deer hammer

I like the fact that an officer of the court was the first one to suggest committing a game violation.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #7640790 10/24/19 02:30 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Honestly?

I like the fact that an officer of the court was the first one to suggest committing a game violation.

What's the game violation?

Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: machinist] #7640791 10/24/19 02:30 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Heehee I was kidding......

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: titan2232] #7640795 10/24/19 02:34 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by titan2232
There are a number of different options that could have been done if this ever happened. Calling a game warden would not be anywhere near my list.

No reason to have to explain yourself to the game warden and probably to a judge as well over one wasted deer.

x1000. The last thing I am ever doing is calling a game warden to come snoop around my place.

Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: DocHorton] #7640820 10/24/19 03:01 PM
T
tdogg Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Originally Posted by titan2232
There are a number of different options that could have been done if this ever happened. Calling a game warden would not be anywhere near my list.

No reason to have to explain yourself to the game warden and probably to a judge as well over one wasted deer.

x1000. The last thing I am ever doing is calling a game warden to come snoop around my place.

I completely agree with this. I have had really good experiences with most game wardens, but have also had a really bad experience with them.

When I was 11-12 years old my dad took me and another friend hunting at the coast during teal season. About 20 minutes into the hunt, after shooting 3-4 teal 2 federal game wardens came up to us. They immediately ripped each of our guns from us. They didn't have a reason, didn't even tell us why. After giving us the full search down, plugs, licenses etc, they proceed to tell us we shot a model duck that fell behind us. Both my dad and this other hunter had been hunting for 20+ years and clearly know the difference between a big duck and a teal. They proceeded to write us all $550 tickets for a duck we could never find. We had a master certified field tested dog search and search over this area and couldn't find anything. I was still extremely young at this age and couldn't believe how much of a** holes these game wardens were. It was a 4 hour drive one way for two court dates, so my dad didn't even have the time to get off work to fight it. I still to this day will never fully trust a game warden and have never returned to this area to hunt. This was 15 years ago or so, and it still doesn't sit right. Call a game warden tat your own risk, but just know you could very easily be getting a ticket like we did, with no evidence.

Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: Stub] #7640848 10/24/19 03:40 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Honestly?

Because I’d have to transport it and don’t want the hassle of any questions.

Big picture, any GW ain’t worried about some accidentally killed deer.

Lol lots of lacy-pants straight arrows on here. I’ll bet some of you must stop and call a DPS officer to come write you a ticket when your speedometer registers above the speed limit. smile

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7640852 10/24/19 03:44 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Honestly?

Because I’d have to transport it and don’t want the hassle of any questions.

Big picture, any GW ain’t worried about some accidentally killed deer.

Lol lots of lacy-pants straight arrows on here. I’ll bet some of you must stop and call a DPS officer to come write you a ticket when your speedometer registers above the speed limit. smile

Actually I take great pride in following the laws of the land game or otherwise, except for maybe driving a little over the speed limit. grin

Re: Deer Hunting Dilemma [Re: machinist] #7640858 10/24/19 03:47 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I do too. But I guess everyone has their lines. I wouldn’t sweat taking the backstraps off an accidentally killed deer and eating them.

I’m pretty sure I could call all the GWs I know and they wouldn’t sweat it either. But I’m not worried enough about it to do so.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide