Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628273 10/09/19 04:22 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Never heard of cellphones, or running car causing a fire, but plenty cases of static causing fires. Any proof behind cellphones or running cars causeing fires?

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628283 10/09/19 04:26 PM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Bigbob You would need a good amount of vapor in your engine bay. This is why I think you never hear of running car causing a fire.

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628284 10/09/19 04:27 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
Never heard of cellphones, or running car causing a fire, but plenty cases of static causing fires. Any proof behind cellphones or running cars causeing fires?

Only anecdotal.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628289 10/09/19 04:31 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Bigbob You would need a good amount of vapor in your engine bay. This is why I think you never hear of running car causing a fire.

not saying it has happened, but it could. we were dealing with vastly different fuel types and amounts. A fully loaded bomber can take upwards of 35,000 gallons of JP4. lot's of fumes around.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: redchevy] #7628292 10/09/19 04:32 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by redchevy
Originally Posted by Sniper.270
Originally Posted by Sneaky
If the vehicle is running, cell phone used, or smoking it does improve the chances of an accident. It’s just playing the odds. You might get away with it a thousand times, but if you leave babies in back seat, in car seats, and it’s the time it happens? The excuses won’t ever matter. I have seen a car catch on fire at gas pump. If there had been babies in back seat, they could not have been gotten to. It was fully engulfed in seconds.
If you have reasons/excuses why you do it, you should plan better so you don’t have to even encounter the chance. Once you make the decision to do it, it may be the one in a million chance it happens, at that moment you will have given up your ability to control the situation. Why take that chance?

Maybe we just shouldn’t drive or leave the house at all.

Seriously? Wow! If that’s the best rational ya got, I would suggest you not. That is just plain silly.
How about just control the things you can, make the best decisions you can, and accept the things you can’t.

I hope the 20,000 post before that one were not as goofy as 20,001.

Seriously, waking up every day is a life and death choice. I guess to be truly safe, I would have to wake up and unbuckle two toddlers and get my wife to stand at a safe distance while I turn the car off and fill it up. How long has it been since you had a kid or have you ever had one?

One, waking up is not a life and death choice. You don’t choose it at all. God grants it.

Second, you don’t have to do all that at all. Plan better. My wife never has to fill her car, change her oil, or any of those things. Simple plan better. I promise, God forbid, if at one point your car goes up in flames you will regret every day that you did not do what you could have done, if absolutely no injury occurs, the thought of what could have will torment you. Inconvenience won’t be so important then.

What does your last statement even mean? So only someone with kids can know how much is required with kids, car seats, and all that? Getting them in, out. Lord! Get real. Everyone on here knows how busy it is out there and how many issues compound that continually. How we all need an extra hour or two most days. You having two young kids does not give any inherent knowledge or wisdom.

Proverbs 2
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628293 10/09/19 04:32 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
A few years ago there was a carjacking, the driver was on the other side of the car fiddling with the pump, when the carjacker got in, and drove off.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7628297 10/09/19 04:36 PM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw

not saying it has happened, but it could. we were dealing with vastly different fuel types and amounts. A fully loaded bomber can take upwards of 35,000 gallons of JP4. lot's of fumes around.

I looked up that fire. It was a B-52. Something about a plug, and spilling fuel all over the ground, and they suspect static set it off. It happen in the late 80s.

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628299 10/09/19 04:37 PM
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob

I looked up that fire. It was a B-52. Something about a plug, and spilling fuel all over the ground, and they suspect static set it off. It happen in the late 80s.

I've waded thru spilled fuel. back then you never admitted to over 5 gallons. blush

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7628302 10/09/19 04:38 PM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

I've waded thru spilled fuel. back then you never admitted to over 5 gallons. blush

Lol, lots of paperwork I suppose.....

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628320 10/09/19 04:51 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
I think this all started back in the day when the Grease Monkeys pumped your gas and they got tired of the exhaust fumes.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: Sniper.270] #7628330 10/09/19 04:58 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

One, waking up is not a life and death choice. You don’t choose it at all. God grants it.

Second, you don’t have to do all that at all. Plan better. My wife never has to fill her car, change her oil, or any of those things. Simple plan better. I promise, God forbid, if at one point your car goes up in flames you will regret every day that you did not do what you could have done, if absolutely no injury occurs, the thought of what could have will torment you. Inconvenience won’t be so important then.

What does your last statement even mean? So only someone with kids can know how much is required with kids, car seats, and all that? Getting them in, out. Lord! Get real. Everyone on here knows how busy it is out there and how many issues compound that continually. How we all need an extra hour or two most days. You having two young kids does not give any inherent knowledge or wisdom.

I care for my children the best I can. I will not let worry drive me over the edge.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628333 10/09/19 05:02 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D

These guys made me a tad bit nervous. Took this pic while gassing up in New Hampshire in August. Rather than shut down the pumps to repair the support columns, they threw up some OSB board as a barrier to weld behind. And the guy sitting behind the trashcan was prepping the fix with an angle grinder. Throwing 3 feet of sparks across the concrete toward me. I decided to finish filling up at another station (I know I'm a Sally).

[Linked Image]

Last edited by dkershen; 10/09/19 05:06 PM.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: NORML as can be] #7628337 10/09/19 05:06 PM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by NORML as can be
I think this all started back in the day when the Grease Monkeys pumped your gas and they got tired of the exhaust fumes.

Could be.....

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628339 10/09/19 05:07 PM
M
MO Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
What is the difference in my truck running VS the car pulling in on the other side of the pump ? Their engine is probably closer to the pump.

MO

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628344 10/09/19 05:11 PM
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by NORML as can be

Could be.....

now if you really want fun, nothing better than a combat quick turn on a fighter. Loading fuel and ammo while the engine is still running.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: MO] #7628348 10/09/19 05:14 PM
S
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by MO
What is the difference in my truck running VS the car pulling in on the other side of the pump ? Their engine is probably closer to the pump.

MO

Exactly.

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: MO] #7628349 10/09/19 05:14 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by MO

MO

I was thinking the same thing.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: redchevy] #7628353 10/09/19 05:16 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by MO

MO

I was thinking the same thing.

Nothing. The proper procedure is to put it in neutral, kill the engine, and coast in from the street.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628385 10/09/19 05:45 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I'm overly cautious with gasoline after witnessing 3 events so far in my life when things went all wrong when transporting or refueling with gas.
One when I was 9 years old, left a life long impression on me.

After you see it with your own eyes you won't give a flying rodent rump whether it is 'fact or fiction'.

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: Choctaw] #7628392 10/09/19 05:53 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Choctaw
Originally Posted by Sneaky
If the vehicle is running, cell phone used, or smoking it does improve the chances of an accident. It’s just playing the odds. You might get away with it a thousand times, but if you leave babies in back seat, in car seats, and it’s the time it happens? The excuses won’t ever matter. I have seen a car catch on fire at gas pump. If there had been babies in back seat, they could not have been gotten to. It was fully engulfed in seconds.
If you have reasons/excuses why you do it, you should plan better so you don’t have to even encounter the chance. Once you make the decision to do it, it may be the one in a million chance it happens, at that moment you will have given up your ability to control the situation. Why take that chance?

Maybe we just shouldn’t drive or leave the house at all.

Seriously? Wow! If that’s the best rational ya got, I would suggest you not. That is just plain silly.
How about just control the things you can, make the best decisions you can, and accept the things you can’t.

Happy 20,001, Sneaky! I thought it was a good post. clap

Thanks! I didn’t see that til now.

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: dkershen] #7628393 10/09/19 05:56 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by dkershen

These guys made me a tad bit nervous. Took this pic while gassing up in New Hampshire in August. Rather than shut down the pumps to repair the support columns, they threw up some OSB board as a barrier to weld behind. And the guy sitting behind the trashcan was prepping the fix with an angle grinder. Throwing 3 feet of sparks across the concrete toward me. I decided to finish filling up at another station (I know I'm a Sally).

[Linked Image]

It’s okay. I’m sure they had a hot work permit.

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628394 10/09/19 05:58 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Seriously, waking up every day is a life and death choice. I guess to be truly safe, I would have to wake up and unbuckle two toddlers and get my wife to stand at a safe distance while I turn the car off and fill it up. How long has it been since you had a kid or have you ever had one?

Try having more faith that God will keep you safe at the pump.

Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628403 10/09/19 06:05 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Was filling up gas tank on my boat at a marina many years ago. A very nice jet boat pulled up and refueled, finishing just as we were pulling out to go back on lake. Evidently, he did not remember (or see the need) to run his blower motor to clear the fumes, and when he turned on the ignition, there was a big fireball and the boat proceeded to burn out of control until it sank. Fortunately, no one was seriously injured and they swam for it.

I do not mess with gasoline.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628418 10/09/19 06:29 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Hot summer day, cold winter day....car is running.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Pumping gas fact or fiction? [Re: S.A. hunter] #7628429 10/09/19 06:39 PM
D
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I turn my truck off and can’t remember the last time I used my cell phone while pumping gas. Not because I’m especially afraid of my cell phone causing a fire, I just don’t need to entertain myself during the five minutes I’m pumping gas.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide