Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: DocHorton] #7623102 10/03/19 07:41 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
Originally Posted by DocHorton
Not me, for $40 it's worth it to not spend 2 hours doing it. Plus, it's really hot outside in the summer, Lol.

THIS

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: bill oxner] #7623105 10/03/19 07:44 PM
B
bassfishinglawyer Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Yep, either me or my wife at home and I handle the chores at our "ranch," both with the little tractor and the big tractor.

Last edited by bassfishinglawyer; 10/03/19 07:44 PM.
Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: redhaze] #7623145 10/03/19 08:51 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted by fray
I have a self mowing wifey.....she lets me mow one or two times when she feels poorly...a self-propelled mower....I be lucky.

Mine loves to mow so I just have to weed eat and trim the hedges. Oh, I also have to mow the bar ditches as she is afraid that the mower or tractor will turn over. We have a 50" zero turn and a 60" finish mower she pulls behind HER John Deere 3038E. She push mows and bags the back yard inside the fence so her beloved dogs don't track clippings into the house.

Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: LonestarCobra] #7623173 10/03/19 09:11 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by LonestarCobra
After next year and some leveling work I am going to a reel for the fenced in part. Do you use a push or a ride on triplex reel?

A triplex would be way too much for my yard. Currently I have a crappy push (manual) reel. I'm shopping for a walking greens mower. Almost bought a Baroness - real nice mower but it's not what I want and shipping was going to be ~$375. Looking for a Toro Greensmaster 1600. I'd also consider a John Deere 220. I have leveled my yard but it still needs more attention. Whatever make and model I end up with I'll have it before next season. I'll do some more spot leveling then I'll try out a half inch. I'll have to be sure to keep up with my regulator applications though. I missed a couple this season and it about killed me having to mow so much.

How much do you have to mow? What mower(s) are you shopping for?

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: RedRanger] #7623187 10/03/19 09:21 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by RedRanger
I make too much money working to waste it on mowing, my time is too valuable

It's not about money to me. I do it because if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. The weekly mow-and-go crews don't have the equipment, knowledge or attention to detail to handle it. A greenskeeper would understand but I don't know that any would do it on the side. It's almost a part-time job. I'm very particular about my lawn and it's much more than simply mowing, edging, weed eating every week.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: Greg] #7623195 10/03/19 09:29 PM
G
gtrich94 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Greg
Had a drive cable snap on my Honda. The neighbor had their crew doing theirs, so I asked if he would do mine. (My yard is real small.... drive way up front and pool in back, so not much at all.). He charges me $25 to mow, edge, and weed eat/blow and they are done in 15 min. That was 2 years ago and has been going great ever since.

Same thing for us. When I moved into this house 9 years ago, I asked the crew mowing the yard across the street him how much to do my yard. He said $25 and I've been using him ever since. We have a large corner lot and there is no way in heck I'm going to go out there in the 100 degree heat and spend two hours mowing. He and his guys show up every Thursday or Friday and are done and gone in 30 minutes.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: bill oxner] #7623199 10/03/19 09:31 PM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Had already set my sprinkler to go off tomorrow morning when a pop up downpour started. It's a windy one. One thing that does not relax me is picking up pecan limbs. They pop like firecrackers when I burn them. You can't hire that done. I can do a little from my Gator.

[Linked Image]

Guess I will turn the sprinkler back off. You can see the control box in the lower left of the picture. Tea time. Lost my TV signal

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: bill oxner] #7623200 10/03/19 09:33 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
I mow mine

2 acres

I slack at running the weed eater, it don’t fit my hands

Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: Mickey Moose] #7623203 10/03/19 09:35 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
Originally Posted by RedRanger
I make too much money working to waste it on mowing, my time is too valuable

It's not about money to me. I do it because if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. The weekly mow-and-go crews don't have the equipment, knowledge or attention to detail to handle it. A greenskeeper would understand but I don't know that any would do it on the side. It's almost a part-time job. I'm very particular about my lawn and it's much more than simply mowing, edging, weed eating every week.

Me too I am very particular as well, I used to mow it and sometimes I would mow it in perpendicular direction to get a nice and tight look.

I have a fantastic yard guy who keeps my yard looking outstanding, I have him mow it two times per week in the early summer so it looks tight, he goes to about once a week starting in August or depending on rainfall.

It's nice to come home and see my yard looking good.

Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: Texas Dan] #7623210 10/03/19 09:42 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I have a self-propelled mower but found a cheaper and more light-weight mower actually makes the job go faster.

I've often thought this. What brand/model did you get? Not that I'll be stricken by anything resembling ambition, but you never know when you'll need the simplest solution for a problem. I could have used a simple push mower on the last lease, just to get to the cabin. 'Wasn't a cheap lease neither. But apparently, access to the cabin through the weeds wasn't included. And the hand's cabin was next door, as in 30 feet next door (with a mowed yard). No le hace. bang

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: bill oxner] #7623212 10/03/19 09:43 PM
B
Bar-D Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Had already set my sprinkler to go off tomorrow morning when a pop up downpour started. It's a windy one. One thing that does not relax me is picking up pecan limbs. They pop like firecrackers when I burn them. You can't hire that done. I can do a little from my Gator.

[Linked Image]

Guess I will turn the sprinkler back off. You can see the control box in the lower left of the picture. Tea time. Lost my TV signal

Water falls from the sky? Wow, who knew? If you get too much Bill, shoo it off to the northwest of you. We could use it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: bill oxner] #7623215 10/03/19 09:49 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
UH.........NO

high roller bolt

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: bill oxner] #7623225 10/03/19 10:10 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N

[Linked Image]

Your right the yard looks really nice!

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: bill oxner] #7623228 10/03/19 10:12 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That stained up patio, with the grout that needs to be re-done, would drive...me...crazy. bolt

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: bill oxner] #7623276 10/03/19 11:09 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I mow the pastures but pay someone to mow the yard. Cheaper that way.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: Mickey Moose] #7623315 10/03/19 11:39 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
Originally Posted by LonestarCobra
After next year and some leveling work I am going to a reel for the fenced in part. Do you use a push or a ride on triplex reel?

A triplex would be way too much for my yard. Currently I have a crappy push (manual) reel. I'm shopping for a walking greens mower. Almost bought a Baroness - real nice mower but it's not what I want and shipping was going to be ~$375. Looking for a Toro Greensmaster 1600. I'd also consider a John Deere 220. I have leveled my yard but it still needs more attention. Whatever make and model I end up with I'll have it before next season. I'll do some more spot leveling then I'll try out a half inch. I'll have to be sure to keep up with my regulator applications though. I missed a couple this season and it about killed me having to mow so much.

How much do you have to mow? What mower(s) are you shopping for?

17,000 sqft. I’m Looking for a JD 220 or possibly a Toro.

Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: bill oxner] #7623330 10/03/19 11:56 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Mowed our yard in Houston from 1976 to 2009. Used a power mower that rear bagged the cut grass. Edged each time and weed ate. Dang fine looking yard. Now I’m in the country and driving a tractor and shredder. The wife has a zero turn, and that reminds me that I need to replace the blades.

When I was laid up after the brain surgeries and the shoulder jobs, and the knee job, she mowed the Houston yard. And she steadily griped about it. You’d think I planned the surgeries to avoid mowing the yard. And her edging and weed eating was way sub par, though I kept my mouth shut. Obviously I was smart enough to recognize that being totally defenseless was a good reason to shut up.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: 603Country] #7623361 10/04/19 12:22 AM
Guy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Funny when I was getting my MBA 20 something years ago back when I mowed my own yard, I loved mowing my yard. It was immaculate, and I'm not exaggerating. I remember saying that I can't wait till I'm done with school so I can spend more time in my yard. Well when I graduated, my yard went to crap. I want to hunt and fish, not do my yard. It had me scratching my head and soul searching why this changed, and I figured it out. When I was getting my MBA, I was working full time and going to school full time, there was no time for anything other than school, work, and chores. Working in the yard was a reason for me not to study. It was the only thing I could do where I did not have to think, and I did not feel guilt for not studying.

Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: Guy] #7623363 10/04/19 12:25 AM
bill oxner Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Guy
Funny when I was getting my MBA 20 something years ago back when I mowed my own yard, I loved mowing my yard. It was immaculate, and I'm not exaggerating. I remember saying that I can't wait till I'm done with school so I can spend more time in my yard. Well when I graduated, my yard went to crap. I want to hunt and fish, not do my yard. It had me scratching my head and soul searching why this changed, and I figured it out. When I was getting my MBA, I was working full time and going to school full time, there was no time for anything other than school, work, and chores. Working in the yard was a reason for me not to study. It was the only thing I could do where I did not have to think, and I did not feel guilt for not studying.

Your implications are obvious.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: bill oxner] #7623416 10/04/19 01:12 AM
L
luv2brode Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
Me like the exercise

i am cancelling my subscription, i am tired of your issues!
Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: bill oxner] #7623447 10/04/19 01:42 AM
S
Slow Drifter Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
My lawns encompass about three acres. I mowed them myself for years. My mower died and I went shopping for a new one and saw the prices. I have a lawn service now for $65/month. They have the equipment and can get it done quickly. If I were to buy that equipment it'd be 5 years before I broke even, with me doing the work, and the equipment would probably be trashed at the end and need replacing and I'd start all over again. So I have it done while I'm at work making money.

"I have no idea what WW-III will be fought with, but WW-IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

A. Einstein

Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: bill oxner] #7623453 10/04/19 01:46 AM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I like doing the yard work, but it’s gotta rain before it grows. I haven’t needed to mow since first week in July.

Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: bill oxner] #7623457 10/04/19 01:47 AM
S
SR025 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Absolutely hate mowing the yard so I got a service.

Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: bill oxner] #7623465 10/04/19 02:05 AM
J
jakebunch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
No. I cut grass for 50 years. No more. The yard guy does a great job.

Re: Mowing your own yard [Re: bill oxner] #7623494 10/04/19 02:30 AM
D
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Growing up, I cut our sizable yard, our neighbor’s sizable yard and our river house when we went there (not very often, which made cutting it even worse).

I still cut my yard, but I’m leaning towards asking my neighbor’s yard guy who cuts her’s so I can free up the time. I don’t need it to be immaculate, I just need it done. Here lately, it’s been a toss up between mowing it in the morning and not being able to take my kayak out to fish, or not doing it, taking my kayak out to fish or play golf with my buddies or something, and then feeling shame for having an unkept yard.

Might just hire it done and not worry about it.

I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide