Forums46
Topics538,077
Posts9,732,725
Members87,065
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: Texas Dan] #7597442 09/04/19 03:37 AM
L
Lakhota Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by nsmike
Ammo producers will likely keep producing the same amount of ammo and just shift it to their remaining retail sellers and bulk ammo suppliers. It likely will become harder to buy single boxes but 500 to 1000 rounds might even get easier.

Someone taking a more level-headed view of the decision by the world's second largest retailer to no longer sell handgun and AR-type ammo.

Amazon has never sold ammo and boycotting Walmart is going to have little if any impact on their bottom line. With both of these now out of the customer's supply chain, prices are very likely to increase.

Whatever the case, if you should happen to need to buy some handgun and AR ammo and it's after 5pm in small town America, you'll going to soon be screwed.

But then, who knows, maybe Dollar General or Family Dollar will add it to their store shelves.

Even though Walmart has 4300 stores nationwide this will have very little to no effect on the cost of ammo, the availability of ammo or Walmart’s bottom line.

Even though Walmart is in many small towns there are still feed stores, hardware stores and even grocery stores that sell ammo. I know that small town of Ballinger where my lease is that I can buy it at two of these locations. Yes, in these small towns the hardware store and grocery store close before Walmart does but the people will adjust an be just fine as they were before Walmart was there. Basic economics tells us where there is a need/demand the market will fill that need/demand.

Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: Lakhota] #7597461 09/04/19 04:15 AM
N
Nathan at Fork Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
Originally Posted by Lakhota
Originally Posted by nsmike
Ammo producers will likely keep producing the same amount of ammo and just shift it to their remaining retail sellers and bulk ammo suppliers. It likely will become harder to buy single boxes but 500 to 1000 rounds might even get easier.

Someone taking a more level-headed view of the decision by the world's second largest retailer to no longer sell handgun and AR-type ammo.

Amazon has never sold ammo and boycotting Walmart is going to have little if any impact on their bottom line. With both of these now out of the customer's supply chain, prices are very likely to increase.

Whatever the case, if you should happen to need to buy some handgun and AR ammo and it's after 5pm in small town America, you'll going to soon be screwed.

But then, who knows, maybe Dollar General or Family Dollar will add it to their store shelves.

Even though Walmart has 4300 stores nationwide this will have very little to no effect on the cost of ammo, the availability of ammo or Walmart’s bottom line.

Even though Walmart is in many small towns there are still feed stores, hardware stores and even grocery stores that sell ammo. I know that small town of Ballinger where my lease is that I can buy it at two of these locations. Yes, in these small towns the hardware store and grocery store close before Walmart does but the people will adjust an be just fine as they were before Walmart was there. Basic economics tells us where there is a need/demand the market will fill that need/demand.

At the hardware store and feed store in my town, the hardware store sells ammo, but it is extremely high priced similar to pawn shop ammo pricing. May be able to find ammo elsewhere, but Walmart had good prices.

[Linked Image]
Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: Paluxy] #7597463 09/04/19 04:25 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by Hancock
Originally Posted by KRoyal
If you're buying guns and ammo from WalMart you're doing it wrong.

Yessir.

This...

[Linked Image]
Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: Tbar] #7597490 09/04/19 10:35 AM
hopalong Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: Tbar] #7597520 09/04/19 11:30 AM
G
Gravytrain Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
They stopped selling ammo years ago to me when they ran out of surplus .40 HST's at $20 per box of 50.

Upon us all, upon us all, a little rain must fall
Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: hopalong] #7597550 09/04/19 12:30 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by hopalong

This!!!

For anything I don’t reload I get it from SGAmmo or Custom Reloads of Dallas. Better ammo and cheaper than you can find it locally.

[Linked Image]

Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: hopalong] #7597559 09/04/19 12:38 PM
C
Choctaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by hopalong

Very good prices and they don't kill you on shipping either.

Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: Tbar] #7597593 09/04/19 01:10 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
For those looking for the bigger picture...

"Shares of gun and ammunition makers added to losses earlier in the day. Vista Outdoor’s stock closed down 6%. Smith & Wesson parent company American Outdoor Brands’ stock fell nearly 4.5%. Sturm Ruger & Company shares closed down 0.6%. Walmart shares ended the day up 0.3%."

"When it reported quarterly earnings last month, Walmart estimated it made up about 2% of the market for firearms today, putting it “outside at least the top three sellers in the industry.” It estimated the company had about a 20% share of the market for ammunition.

Following Tuesday’s announcement, Walmart said its market share of ammunition will drop to a range of 6% to 9%, falling to the lower end of that range over time."

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/04/19 01:26 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: Texas Dan] #7597619 09/04/19 01:29 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
The bigger picture...

"Shares of gun and ammunition makers added to losses earlier in the day. Vista Outdoor’s stock closed down 6%. Smith & Wesson parent company American Outdoor Brands’ stock fell nearly 4.5%. Sturm Ruger & Company shares closed down 0.6%. Walmart shares ended the day up 0.3%."

"When it reported quarterly earnings last month, Walmart estimated it made up about 2% of the market for firearms today, putting it “outside at least the top three sellers in the industry.” It estimated the company had about a 20% share of the market for ammunition.

Following Tuesday’s announcement, Walmart said its market share of ammunition will drop to a range of 6% to 9%, falling to the lower end of that range over time."

Yep, this will not bother Walmart one bit, just like it didn't hurt Dicks/Field and Stream/Golf Galaxy. There are SO many minorities who shop there, its turned into Costco anyway.
Too bad, it was always a tradition on hunting trips to stop at the local Walmart and cruise the hunting isle, anyway, I need to find a new place who carries Milo's Iced Tea with the YELLOW cap.

Old Man Walton is turning over in his grave

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: Tbar] #7597652 09/04/19 01:54 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
All the same people who keep pissing and moaning about Walmart will keep shopping there no doubt. My wife is one of them.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 09/04/19 02:05 PM.

Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: Texas Dan] #7597683 09/04/19 02:23 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
All the same people who keep pissing and moaning about Walmart will keep shopping there no doubt. My wife is one of them.

I told My Wife if she buys anything from Walmart it goes in The Trash.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: Tbar] #7597701 09/04/19 02:38 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
The demand for ammo remains unchanged - Walmart's decision will not affect the ability to buy ammo, those that shop in Walmart will just lose the convenience factor of picking up ammo when they are in the store buying groceries or other cheapo crap. This may be the best thing ever for local sporting goods retailers. Now, if they would stop selling bicycles, maybe the local bike shops would make a comeback.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: Tbar] #7597710 09/04/19 02:45 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Oddly the business will go back to the small retailers that Walmart tends to put out of business

Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: Tbar] #7597719 09/04/19 02:50 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
I like walmart.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: Paluxy] #7597724 09/04/19 02:52 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Oddly the business will go back to the small retailers that Walmart tends to put out of business

Yup... Like Academy and BassPro.....grin

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: Tbar] #7597749 09/04/19 03:09 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
As we did with lease prices, I see a thread on the horizon started by someone wanting to complain that ammo prices are too high. And just like that former thread, someone is sure to tout the laws of supply and demand.

Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: Tbar] #7597755 09/04/19 03:13 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
So, WalMart is pandering to 50% of their customers, Democrats, just because there was a shooting in a WalMart. It does not do a damn thing to make WalMart safer, it is only playing to the emotions of Democrats.

As has been said, more pie for the rest of us that make ammo. The only ammo I buy is rimfire, and I haven't bought any from a WalMart in 20 years.

Whatever...

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: pegasaurus] #7597765 09/04/19 03:18 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by pegasaurus

Yup... Like Academy and BassPro.....grin

Closest Academy to me is over an hour, BassPro is over an....who actually buys anything at BP anyway?

Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: Tbar] #7597785 09/04/19 03:33 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Just left Walmart. Had to get my super combo before this weekends axis hunt. Walmart has successfully put small retailers out for hunting and fishing license in rural areas. It’s bad around here, Oklahoma seems to be worse. I had to drive 30ish miles to a Walmart there to get my fishing license. They were the closest, the next closest was the next Walmart.

I also picked up air filters for the house while I was there. They also have curbside now. The Queen is sold, she loves it.

Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: Tbar] #7597795 09/04/19 03:43 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I'll bet you first and foremost this was an economic decision to replace that shelf space with something else. Current events provided a nice reason and also made Walmart look like they are doing something in response. Walmart's decision was likely a merchandising one while leveraging the news of the week.

To be determined
Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: wp75169] #7597812 09/04/19 04:06 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by wp75169
Just left Walmart. Had to get my super combo before this weekends axis hunt. Walmart has successfully put small retailers out for hunting and fishing license in rural areas. It’s bad around here, Oklahoma seems to be worse. I had to drive 30ish miles to a Walmart there to get my fishing license. They were the closest, the next closest was the next Walmart.

I also picked up air filters for the house while I was there. They also have curbside now. The Queen is sold, she loves it.

You don't have to carry a paper fishing license in OK. It's all online...Walmart didn't put small license retailers out for that in OK - technology and convenience did.

Don't get me wrong - I hate Walmart. They aren't to blame for everything though.

Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: wp75169] #7597818 09/04/19 04:12 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by wp75169

By the way. You can buy your license on TPWD website. New law also allows you to show receipt or a pict of your license to the GW if asked. up

Doesn’t help on filters unless you order from Amazon. grin

Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: Tbar] #7597825 09/04/19 04:17 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
If you really need a company to hate, go after Amazon. They're hitting hard on both the large and small retailer alike.

I can remember when Sears was at the top of the retail world. What you couldn't find in the store you could order from their catalog. Now look at them. And yet, what is Amazon but an online catalog. Another example of what happens when you get complacent in the now.

Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: Texas Dan] #7597828 09/04/19 04:19 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
If you really need a company to hate, go after Amazon. They're hitting hard on both the large and small retailer alike.

I can remember when Sears was at the top of the retail world. What you couldn't find in the store you could order from their catalog. Now look at them. And yet, what is Amazon but an online catalog. Another example of what happens when you get complacent in the now.

But if I spend $35 on qualifying items, I can get what I want delivered to my door, TODAY....grin

Re: Walmart To Discontinue Sales Of Handgun Ammunition......... [Re: Tbar] #7597881 09/04/19 05:15 PM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Sears,Penneys,Monkey Ward etc served the country well in their time,their heyday and an evolving America. Lots of childhood memories from a bygone era. Long before the Internet was invented. Nothing last forever and times change. Millennials just whip out their smartphone and order what they need.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide