Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: A few observations from a old man [Re: don k] #7588302 08/24/19 06:09 PM
D
don k Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
D
I get kids here. I tell the parent to let them shoot any size Deer they or you want. I am not in the so called trophy or mature Deer business. I just deal in numbers of animals I think I need taken. And it is amazing that the largest 3 Bucks have not been shot the last 3 years.

Re: A few observations from a old man [Re: don k] #7588304 08/24/19 06:10 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
To each their own for what you decide for your kids hunting.

My take on it and the way I taught my daughter was starting out with smaller game and smaller calibers. How to observe and connect with nature, study her quarry before hunting it. Turkey and hogs is what I started her on and I waited for her to express a desire to kill a deer. I told her because we are not dependent on deer meat to eat we should be selective in how we decide to kill the deer. No reason to kill young ones, let them grow to middle age or older if possible. She agreed. Her first buck was a mature buck with attitude that never grew much of a set of antlers but was a bully to the other bucks and always broke up his antlers before the rest and ran off all the bucks around the feeder.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: A few observations from a old man [Re: colt45-90] #7588348 08/24/19 07:22 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by colt45
wth, father takes son out for first hunt, "now son don't shoot till we see a twelve pointer" that's bull chit, let the kid shoot....

That’s all fine & dandy, but how many people got to shoot 2 year old bucks before there ain’t any older bucks around the few years?

Re: A few observations from a old man [Re: colt45-90] #7588535 08/24/19 11:12 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by colt45
wth, father takes son out for first hunt, "now son don't shoot till we see a twelve pointer" that's bull chit, let the kid shoot....

What about the 35 year old man that shoots every buck that just meets antler restrictions, every year? And he has been doing it since he was big enough to hold a rifle. For thousands, there is nothing wrong with that. What puzzles me is the person that does that, and always has done that, and then bitches that they only have small bucks.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: A few observations from a old man [Re: don k] #7588541 08/24/19 11:22 PM
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Took my son out for his first legal hunt here in Idaho at age 12. Shot a nice eating size forked horn mule deer, and happy as a clam. Went out the next year and he was a little tougher and heartier. We hunted all day in a snowstorm and high winds. Took a 31 1/2" 4x3, and he said he wasn't going to shoot another buck until he beat that! Took a couple years for reality to sink in, and now he takes mature deer and doesn't worry about size and score. smile

Beer and whiskey, 'cause you can't drink bacon!!
Re: A few observations from a old man [Re: stxranchman] #7590757 08/27/19 01:13 PM
K
Ktexas14 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Dang man, you have some freakin deer. That is awesome, cool pics for sure!

Re: A few observations from a old man [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7595608 09/02/19 01:17 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
To each their own for what you decide for your kids hunting.

My take on it and the way I taught my daughter was starting out with smaller game and smaller calibers. How to observe and connect with nature, study her quarry before hunting it. Turkey and hogs is what I started her on and I waited for her to express a desire to kill a deer. I told her because we are not dependent on deer meat to eat we should be selective in how we decide to kill the deer. No reason to kill young ones, let them grow to middle age or older if possible. She agreed. Her first buck was a mature buck with attitude that never grew much of a set of antlers but was a bully to the other bucks and always broke up his antlers before the rest and ran off all the bucks around the feeder.

Pitch said it pretty good. Ill add on. Definitely start em off shooting a bunch of stuff(other species) that all look the same, meaning no "Trophy" or potential Trophy. If everyone on a lease is on the same page with their goals then do whatever the group wants and I wont judge you. Hopefully your harvest isn't so outa line you hurt your neighbor but not a lot can be done if its legal. What I don't get is those that say they want bigger/older bucks but don't do what it takes. Where the kids come in on that is that if you are doing the right thing on your harvest guidelines then there should easily be enough bucks in the older age class to allow for the kids to take an older buck that just doesn't have a Trophy caliber rack.
On our lease I would say that we do not have a real INTENSIVE management plan but if you REALLY do the basics itll take you most of the way there. What we do is put as few hunters on the place as we possibly can afford. Then hopefully not everyone always has to kill a buck. Then for sure try hard not to ever kill a buck before his prime. If you do those simple(theoretically) things then you should usually have a good many bucks in the older age class and even though they wont all be big you at least put more numbers out there so you up your odds. Circling back to the kids, if you have decent numbers of older bucks then they should be able to find a genetically smaller older buck (which probably needs killing anyway, to keep your overall numbers down.)

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide