Forums46
Topics538,160
Posts9,733,678
Members87,071
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How to shoot Deer at 50 and 200 yards away? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7567846 07/30/19 04:27 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted by Goodo Texas Boy
set your zero on your scope for 1" high at 100 yards. By doing so, all you have to concentrate on is squeezing the trigger when your crosshairs are on target at any of the distances the guide told you to prepare for.

Thank you Pitchfork Predator,

What does "set your zero on your scope for 1" high at 100 yards" means?

Thanks

You have what we call an MOA scope, meaning inches are divided by 8. Simply unscrew the cap on the top of the middle of your scope. Under the cap is a dial with an arrow showing you which direction to turn the dial to move your point of impact up or down. When you move the dial it will click for each hash mark on the dial, which looks like the face of a clock. Turn the dial the direction the arrow shows to move the POI up. Move it 8 clicks up and put the cap back on. Now when you go to shoot your target at 100 yards the bullet will hit 1" above the center of the target and you will be ready to shoot at deer from 50-200 yards aiming for the middle of the shoulder.

^^^this^^^

if you think about how your rifle and scope are setup, the line of sight (thru scope) and the line of barrel are at a slight angle, barrel is slight upward of the line of sight. as the bullet leaves the barrel, it will cross the line of sight twice in an arcing fashion, once on the way up (line of barrel), then once on the way down as gravity starts drawing the bullet back to earth. Typically, using 1 inch high at 100 yards for "most" centerfire rifles, gives you a 0-200+/- invisible tube that the bullet travels within a ~3 inch diameter of the line of sight. this starts at ~1.5 inch below line of sight (distance between center of scope and center of barrel) leaving the barrel traveling at a slight upward angle (mentioned above) crossing the line of sight and hitting 1 inch high at 100 yards. Gravity is in play as soon as the bullet leaves the barrel but due to the slight angle it appears the bullet is rising (it's really not, just the slight angle in effect). After the bullet passes 100 yards the arc of the bullet path will slowly start falling back towards earth and around 200 yards, it is back to being 1.5 inch below the line of sight.

Think of it as having a 3 inch diameter tube that you are shooting thru with the bullet leaving the barrel at the bottom of the tube ... it will arc up to the top of the tube around 100-125 yards and then fall back to the bottom of the tube about 200 yards. So, in theory under perfect conditions, if you put the cross hair on the middle of the shoulder from 0 to 200 yards you are within 1.5 inches low or high of where the crosshair is placed.

edit: this will vary slightly depending on caliber, bullet and powder, elevation, pressure, temperature, etc. ... some are flatter shooting, some have more arc ... the above is just general information

Last edited by PMK; 07/30/19 04:30 PM.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: How to shoot Deer at 50 and 200 yards away? [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7568562 07/31/19 12:42 PM
P
phathawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
Setting your scope for 1" high at 100 yards means that when your crosshairs are on the bullseye, the bullet hits the target 1" above the bullseye. Don't overthink this. From 50-200 yards you should be able to aim directly where you want to hit the deer and you will be within a couple inches from that point of aim. That will put your bullet in the kill zone. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

There's only 2 seasons in a year. Deer season and getting ready for deer season.
Re: How to shoot Deer at 50 and 200 yards away? [Re: phathawg] #7568575 07/31/19 12:59 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by phathawg
Setting your scope for 1" high at 100 yards means that when your crosshairs are on the bullseye, the bullet hits the target 1" above the bullseye. Don't overthink this. From 50-200 yards you should be able to aim directly where you want to hit the deer and you will be within a couple inches from that point of aim. That will put your bullet in the kill zone. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

^^^^^that's all you need to know

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: How to shoot Deer at 50 and 200 yards away? [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7568727 07/31/19 03:26 PM
G
Goodo Texas Boy Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G
set your zero on your scope for 1" high at 100 yards. By doing so, all you have to concentrate on is squeezing the trigger when your crosshairs are on target at any of the distances the guide told you to prepare for.

Thanks

You have what we call an MOA scope, meaning inches are divided by 8. Simply unscrew the cap on the top of the middle of your scope. Under the cap is a dial with an arrow showing you which direction to turn the dial to move your point of impact up or down. When you move the dial it will click for each hash mark on the dial, which looks like the face of a clock. Turn the dial the direction the arrow shows to move the POI up. Move it 8 clicks up and put the cap back on. Now when you go to shoot your target at 100 yards the bullet will hit 1" above the center of the target and you will be ready to shoot at deer from 50-200 yards aiming for the middle of the shoulder.

Thank you so much Pitchfork Predator,

My scope is adjust 4 clicks to represent 1 inch of scope movement (sorry I am sure I am not talking right language, still learning)

So for my case I will adjust scope by 4 clicks up., so POI is 1" higher

Last edited by Goodo Texas Boy; 07/31/19 03:42 PM.
Re: How to shoot Deer at 50 and 200 yards away? [Re: phathawg] #7568731 07/31/19 03:29 PM
G
Goodo Texas Boy Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
G

Thanks phathawg,

I still do not understand why I am adjusting up 1" in higher?

Re: How to shoot Deer at 50 and 200 yards away? [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7568750 07/31/19 04:04 PM
Z
ZK-315 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Z

PMK lined this answer out for you above...

Re: How to shoot Deer at 50 and 200 yards away? [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7568865 07/31/19 06:19 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F

Thanks phathawg,

Well, Goodo, I thought phatdawg said it as basic as it can be but tech savvy guys cant believe how basic they have to go for me sometimes so ill try to expand.
You must not understand that if you adjust your scope so that you aim at the bullseye and actually hit the bullseye at 100 yards then at longer distances that particular adjustment will cause your bullet to drop so low that you wont hit within the kill area of the animal. If you INSTEAD make that scope adjustment so that you hit 1" higher at 100 than you actually aimed then it wont drop so far at the longer distance to cause you to miss the kill area. Also, keep in mind that once you have made the proper adjustment you theoretically wont have to readjust again(ever) unless you have a malfunction with the scope. If you still don't get it then keep asking and others can try. All kidding aside, our school teachers DO NOT get paid enough.

Last edited by freerange; 07/31/19 06:20 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: How to shoot Deer at 50 and 200 yards away? [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7568895 07/31/19 06:58 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

Thanks phathawg,

At 100 yards adjusting it to be 1 inch high makes it 2.2 inches low at 200 yards. If you had it dead on at 100 yards, you would be more than 4 inches low at 200 yards. More than 4 inches is getting close to needing to hold higher on the target which you don't want to have to do. By being 1 inch high at 100 yards, you're giving yourself the easiest way to not have to adjust for any distance. See the chart which I set for your caliber and factory load.

[Linked Image]

Re: How to shoot Deer at 50 and 200 yards away? [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7569038 07/31/19 10:37 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P

Thanks

Thank you so much Pitchfork Predator,

My scope is adjust 4 clicks to represent 1 inch of scope movement (sorry I am sure I am not talking right language, still learning)

So for my case I will adjust scope by 4 clicks up., so POI is 1" higher

You understand perfectly. Yes some scopes will differ for what each click represents. You are good to go. up

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: How to shoot Deer at 50 and 200 yards away? [Re: Goodo Texas Boy] #7569039 07/31/19 10:42 PM
P
phathawg Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
OK, imagine you're shooting at a 5" target. At 100 yards you're hitting dead center. At 125 yards, aiming at the same point, the point of impact is lower. The farther you are from the target, the lower the bullet hits until at 200 yards the bullet is near the bottom of the target and may completely miss the target. There's no holes in the target above the center. By adjusting up 1", the 200 yard shot is now on the target without worrying about bullet drop and the 100 yard shot is hitting 1" high but still well within the kill zone. This way all you have to do is aim where you want to hit the deer and you will be close enough to insure a kill. The 5" target is the kill zone on a deer. If you can keep all your bullets in that zone from 50-200 yards, you are good to go. Hope this helps. Don't be scared to ask questions. Like they say, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

There's only 2 seasons in a year. Deer season and getting ready for deer season.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide