Print Thread
Page 6 of 152 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 151 152
Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #7525886 06/03/19 03:31 PM
Wilson Combat Online Content
Boar Meister
Online Content
Boar Meister
From customer David H in reference to his 375# black bear kill

"This particular bear was coming up the side of a mountain and I took him at 45 yards quartering to me. The bullet entered at the base of the neck by his right front shoulder, passed through all the vitals and came to rest under the hide next to his opposite side hind quarter. It looked like he was hit with a shock wave as there was a huge ripple effect on his hide when the bullet hit him. He balled up, took about 3 or 4 steps and rolled about 100 yards down the side of the mountain and was stopped by a small bush. Weight was 375 pounds, the pad on his front foot measure 5” and we green measured the skull at 20.75”. Mike feels the skull will make the Boone and Crocket book.

I was using a 18” Bill Wilson Ranch profile 300 HAM’R barrel, pushing a hand loaded 130 grain Speer Hot core at 2575fps.

I know I’m speaking with the man that developed the caliber but,,,,, this is truly an amazing caliber that provides more bang for your buck on medium sized game that any other caliber out there in my opinion. I’ve taken many animals ( over 300 deer and 150 hogs) with a 7mm-08 and .308 during my hunting career and have now laid those down for the 300 HAM’R !"

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Wilson Combat] #7525890 06/03/19 03:37 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Wilson Combat

I do most of my deer/hog hunting in heavily wooded bottomland areas where recovering an animal that runs any substantial distance is a problem. Due to that I've made it my personal mission to find a caliber/bullet (that can be fired in a AR platform) that will put game on the ground quickly with a solid lung shot.

Thus I focused on how an animal reacted with a solid shoulder shot.

I agree with you here ,,,, a Nosler Partition in a .308 / 30-06 has afforded that luxury for me for many years.

If the 350 Legend and Hamr have options in bullets available , I don't mind adding one of each to my collection

Where is your ranch at ?

Maybe you'd like to take your Hamr and try it on my place in west Texas someday

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: djones] #7525915 06/03/19 04:02 PM
G
Graycard Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
G
You Texas boys have kept me entertained during my morning coffee. But......... back to the 300 HAM'R.

It seems as if those who have tried the new 300 HAM'R (me included) have been impressed. Those who have not tried it may have a bit of doubt. So far, that is to be expected. While being the "new guy" on the forum, I have tried to be polite and not kick up the dust. But I guess it is getting hard to see in here and I don't have to worry too much. grin

For what it is worth, after 47 years of hunting (I didn't start until I was 21), and 20 years of reviewing firearms, I will say the 300 HAM'R is THE BEST ALL AROUND cartridge ever devised for the AR-15 platform. Please take note of the "ALL AROUND" part of that statement. The cartridges such as the .458 SCOM and 458 HAM'R will impress anyone when they hit, but when I use a 30 rd. magazine, I want 30 rounds. I'm also not too fond of recoil. Any time I review a firearm I am expected to fire 5 five-shot groups with at least three different types of ammunition. By the time you add in sighting the optics and generally testing the function, that is in excess of 125 rounds. There must be some who are more manly than I because I do not consider shooting 125 rounds of .458 SOCOM in one range session as fun.

When compared to the current chamberings in the AR-15 (6.5 G, 6.8 SPC, .300 BO, 7.62x40WT, and the 7.62x39), the 300 HAM'R is my choice. I will admit that if I was shooting at a metal plate, at extended distances, the 6.5G would edge out the HAM'R. Granted, if you shoot suppressed and want sub-sonic rounds, the 300 BO is your choice. Just admit its limitations of accuracy, trajectory and range. If I am hunting, or if I am reaching for a defensive weapon, the 300 HAM'R wins out.

The 300 HAM'R, 7.62x40WT and the 300 BO do have something in common, all three only require the change of a barrel to convert a standard 5.56 carbine. Plus, all three cartridges can be formed from surplus 5.56 brass. Those two details mean a lot to me! Throw in the accuracy level for the 300 HAM'R and you have a winner.

As for the "terminal performance," as I have said before, dead is dead and there is no "deader." There just aren't any levels to dead. But in the case of the statement on the Wilson website in reference to the terminal performance, you just have to see it to believe it. I've seen it on hogs, deer, and bear. "Crumbled" is the best phrase I can think of. I've seen the hogs fall on my various trips to TX. After the first deer I shot here in NC, both of my hunting partners ordered barrels to build their own HAM'Rs. The bear was a totally different situation. He had started making a habit out of coming around the house for the bird feeders and my wife started making a habit of taking those feeders in at night. One evening as she gathered the feeders, the bear decided to come out of the brush and follow her. She started yelling, the puppy was barking and I was making a dash for the deck not knowing what was going on. Yes, living out in the middle of Nowhere, NC it is my habit to grab an AR. It took a split second to see what was happening and a split second to see the bear was still coming with the yelling and barking making no real difference. One shot at 10-15 yards and he "crumbled." That was my scientific method of confirming Bill's statement.

Since 2011 I have been an avid fan of the7.62x40WT and it took something to buy into the HAM'R. I'll keep my 7.62x40Wt but it is for sentimental reasons. A 300 HAM'R now sits at the ready 24/7.

One final statement, I built most of my AR's. It's fun and adds a little pride to the mix. Yet, my pride and joy is one built by Wilson Combat. No other company adds the level of hand craftsmanship to a rifle like that provided by WC. Outside of a zoo, there is nothing in NC or TX that a Wilson Combat AR-15 chambered in the 300HAM'R won't handle. I would bet that a year from now there will be a lot of companies playing catch-up on turning out rifles chambered in 300 HAM'R and ammunition will be rather common.

With all of this said, my HAM'R and I are going for a walk. I know there has to be at least one unicorn on my property somewhere.

Last edited by Graycard; 06/03/19 04:27 PM.
Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Pig_Popper] #7525917 06/03/19 04:04 PM
Boar Meister
Online Content
Boar Meister
Originally Posted by Pig_Popper
While this spat is somewhat entertaining, can we get back to the subject of the thread???

hdfireman, here the basis of my claim as to the effectiveness of the HAM'R compared to the 6.8. First off this is based on my "personal" observations in the field killing several hundred hogs and dozens of deer.

Oh good, glad the white flag is being waved on this 3 page discussion about that ...

Alright so I’ll take the above to also relate to 6.5 Grendel and close the book on my gripe that the Ham’r is more effective as a “personal observation”

So , can we start seeing some load data and photos of recovered bullets from game or gel of the 17 “suitable” projectiles

The hunting videos are nice and all but the added info (like what DavidK posted) of post shot analysis is critical to making informed decisions on caliber choice.

Load data and two ballistic test videos are on the 300 HAM'R page on the Wilson Combat web site. I think the answer to almost any question is covered there. Also load data is on the Western Powder web site in the "Latest Updates" section. Hodgdon has also worked up data, but hasn't posted it yet.

I only have recovered bullets from kills with the 125gr Sierra Pro Hunter, 130gr Speer Hot-Core, 150gr Speer Hot-Core and the 150gr Hornady SST (#30303 .300 Savage variant). All mushroom well and I've only seen a jacket/core separation on the Hornady. Weight retention on all but the Sierra is normally in the 70-75% range, with the Sierra a little less.

As a FYI: I find that bullets shot into water exhibit virtually identical expansion characteristics to ones recovered from game when no large bones are hit.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: cabosandinh] #7525923 06/03/19 04:08 PM
Boar Meister
Online Content
Boar Meister
Originally Posted by cabosandinh

I do most of my deer/hog hunting in heavily wooded bottomland areas where recovering an animal that runs any substantial distance is a problem. Due to that I've made it my personal mission to find a caliber/bullet (that can be fired in a AR platform) that will put game on the ground quickly with a solid lung shot.

Thus I focused on how an animal reacted with a solid shoulder shot.

I agree with you here ,,,, a Nosler Partition in a .308 / 30-06 has afforded that luxury for me for many years.

If the 350 Legend and Hamr have options in bullets available , I don't mind adding one of each to my collection

Where is your ranch at ?

Maybe you'd like to take your Hamr and try it on my place in west Texas someday

The 300 HAM'R has 17-18 good bullet options now with more in development, at this point the 350 Legend has NONE. However I've been testing bullets for both Hornady and Speer, so good .350 Legend bullets are in the works......

Im in Red River county

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Wilson Combat] #7525928 06/03/19 04:14 PM
Boar Meister
Online Content
Boar Meister
From my contact at Hodgdon in reference to my question as to when the data would be up on their reloading data center

"The data base has been sent to our IT group who installs all additions. Unfortunately, the update did not come through complete, and they are in the process of fixing same. Should be on in a few days.

Take Care, Bill and good shooting!"

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #7525948 06/03/19 04:30 PM
D
DavidK Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
110gr Hornady recovered from my above post

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wilson Combat Pro Staff
Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: DavidK] #7526143 06/03/19 08:14 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by DavidK

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hey Dave,

That looks pretty good ! What was the range to the hog? About 10 yards ... popcorn

All kidding aside , I know it takes a lot of work to extract the bullets and log the data, it can really slow down the hunt and something tells me Team Oink ain’t in the practice of slowing down for nothin’. Heck DJ might even tighten up from a lack of activity dragging those 300 lb pigs one-handed through the fields for his famous photos.

Keep them pics of bullets coming!

P.S. - I hope you found the kidding refreshing, we can’t stand to let DJ be the only jokester on the thread

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #7526153 06/03/19 08:23 PM
Boar Meister
Online Content
Boar Meister
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bullets recovered from hog kills

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #7526162 06/03/19 08:42 PM
D
djones Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
pork puffer... it's strickly run and gun for the team. they won't even stop long enuf to let me in the pic. but i have some pix of the rifle. and i can say... hopefully without offending anyone (hehehe)... this upper runs and functions flawlessly.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #7526178 06/03/19 09:03 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
6.8 SSA 110 Nosler Accubond dug from the opposite shoulder of a very large boar.

[Linked Image]

Sorry, I just had to add a little more 6.8 to the fire. stir

It really is what I said it is though.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #7526182 06/03/19 09:08 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
DJ - I truly miss the day of seeing rubber bands holding your front objective lens in place on the armasight and I believe you eventually had parts flying off the LWRC.

I’m not sure if you truly understand that the rifle can be stowed inside the vehicle while traveling instead of in the open bed of the truck, you’re certainly a “hard use” user ....

Bill Wilson,

I’d never imagined the 130+ grain recovered bullets would erupt that
far down the shank.

I’m obviously mystified here from a ballistic standpoint and baffled by DJ...

I mean why the hell did we ever mess with 6x45mm (6mm 223) where the fastest twist was 1:10 for so many years and IF you could get a 100 grain bullet to stabilize it was with a faster twist but case capacity was at a premium with velocities at 2450 - 2580 FPS.

The load data y’all show for the 130 gr 308 bullets with a slower twist barrel isn’t that far off the long tested 100 grain 6mm/223.

How the hell does this work and again why not 20 years ago?

We could’ve skipped 300 BO and 30 Rem AR all together ...

Again the pictures are making me question the ballistic rule books

6.5 Grendel makes the same type EQUIVALENT erupted bullets with more powder capacity and smaller diameter bullets - it’s not supposed to work with just necking up 2 calibers.

Which is why we haven’t seen many successful 308 wildcats based off the Grendel case or 30 Rem AR case....

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Pig_Popper] #7526197 06/03/19 09:31 PM
D
DavidK Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by DavidK

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hey Dave,

That looks pretty good ! What was the range to the hog? About 10 yards ... popcorn

All kidding aside , I know it takes a lot of work to extract the bullets and log the data, it can really slow down the hunt and something tells me Team Oink ain’t in the practice of slowing down for nothin’. Heck DJ might even tighten up from a lack of activity dragging those 300 lb pigs one-handed through the fields for his famous photos.

Keep them pics of bullets coming!

P.S. - I hope you found the kidding refreshing, we can’t stand to let DJ be the only jokester on the thread

Distance was around 100 - 120.

Yea, I think it was 1230 when I got around to digging out that bullet out in the middle of nowhere.

Yup, when I'm with DJ and CF, it's kill and drag and move to the next field, repeat lol.

Wilson Combat Pro Staff
Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Pig_Popper] #7526209 06/03/19 09:44 PM
Boar Meister
Online Content
Boar Meister
DJ - I truly miss the day of seeing rubber bands holding your front objective lens in place on the armasight and I believe you eventually had parts flying off the LWRC.

I’m not sure if you truly understand that the rifle can be stowed inside the vehicle while traveling instead of in the open bed of the truck, you’re certainly a “hard use” user ....

Bill Wilson,

I’d never imagined the 130+ grain recovered bullets would erupt that
far down the shank.

I’m obviously mystified here from a ballistic standpoint and baffled by DJ...

I mean why the hell did we ever mess with 6x45mm (6mm 223) where the fastest twist was 1:10 for so many years and IF you could get a 100 grain bullet to stabilize it was with a faster twist but case capacity was at a premium with velocities at 2450 - 2580 FPS.

The load data y’all show for the 130 gr 308 bullets with a slower twist barrel isn’t that far off the long tested 100 grain 6mm/223.

How the hell does this work and again why not 20 years ago?

We could’ve skipped 300 BO and 30 Rem AR all together ...

Again the pictures are making me question the ballistic rule books

6.5 Grendel makes the same type EQUIVALENT erupted bullets with more powder capacity and smaller diameter bullets - it’s not supposed to work with just necking up 2 calibers.

Which is why we haven’t seen many successful 308 wildcats based off the Grendel case or 30 Rem AR case....

To be totally honest I don't know why the 300 HAM'R performs so well, but my best guess is that we're using bullets that are designed for optimal performance at the velocity this cartridge can push them to. I've had the proven loads pressure tested by Black Hills Ammo, Hodgdon and Western Powder and the velocities we're pushing them to are all within the 57,500PSI max for the cartridge.

One thing that we haven't really discussed on this thread is the FANTASTIC accuracy we're getting with this cartridge. I've shot LOTS of sub 1/2 inch groups with various bullets and most of them have been with very light profile barrels. Actually pretty amazing groups for gas guns. I'll dig up some of the groups and post some pics when I get a chance.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: Wilson Combat] #7526214 06/03/19 09:56 PM
Boar Meister
Online Content
Boar Meister
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #7526236 06/03/19 10:14 PM
Boar Meister
Online Content
Boar Meister
[Linked Image]

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #7526428 06/04/19 02:40 AM
O
OneK Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
I never thought I'd say this because I love my 6.8 but I really like my HAM'R. I have shot a 6.8 for several years and have way north of 5000 rounds through it. The retards I hunt with forced me to change rifles, because they already had, I ended up with a HAM'R. It's also a piston gun. Just to be different I shoot the 125gr TNT. It works great!! I don't dig bullets out either so don't ask. I have a hired crew that flies in the next few days that takes care of that and so far they have not complained. It usually passes completely through anyway, I don't like that though, but has been as effective or even better than the 6.8 120 SST. It's a varmint bullet too.

One of the best things about the HAM'R is the reloading cost. I can reload it for less per complete round than what a single 6.8 SST bullet costs. Add the cost of surplus military brass brings it up to a couple of cents over what a single 6.8 bullet costs. I really love this because I REALLY HATE hogs and have been known to shoot dead hogs several times just for the pleasure of hearing the "whapp" of the bullet hitting porcine flesh! I just sleep better thinking about this sound!!!

I'm not going to bash anybody's favorite caliber nor am I going to tell you which way to wear your underwear, either with the tag in or out but this little gun is a blast to shoot and it's crazy accurate, very effective and dirt cheap to reload.

One other thing I might mention while I'm writing this is, those are my hogs DJ!!! You run to the back and put your stinking gun on them so I have to smell it while we hunt. NOT FUNNY!!!!

Last edited by OneK; 06/04/19 03:30 AM.
Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #7526481 06/04/19 05:20 AM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
I'd be happy to give a legit, no-bias review of the 300 Ham'r if I had a lightweight barrel to screw onto my spare upper. I'd even invest the dies and powder to get the most out of the round, like I do with my 6.8, 300blk, 6.5 Grendel, and 450 Bushmaster.

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #7526502 06/04/19 09:44 AM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Maybe ol WC will do a group buy, an 18" would suit me fine.

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: ImTheReasonDovesMourn] #7526598 06/04/19 12:40 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd be happy to give a legit, no-bias review of the 300 Ham'r if I had a lightweight barrel to screw onto my spare upper. I'd even invest the dies and powder to get the most out of the round, like I do with my 6.8, 300blk, 6.5 Grendel, and 450 Bushmaster.

Same I want the 8” 300 HAM’R barrel I see on his website so I can do a side by side with the 8” 300BLK.

[Linked Image]

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #7526714 06/04/19 02:42 PM
D
djones Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
pig stuffer… yes, those were the days. I wish you were kidding about holding the scope together with rubber bands but it’s true. and yes.. after I had to abandon the custom built 6.8, cough cough, I went with lwrc. the pin securing the gas selector sheared off. also had a lug break off the bolt. one other team OinK hunter also has the same lwrc, and currently has a broken bolt. factory ammo only. that’s what… 2 for 2. you do the math. “fortunately” lwrc wouldn’t warranty mine and wanted $150 for another bolt, so I went with the arp superbolt at about half the price. now I realize that should have been my first upgrade with the lwrc out of the box!

kamps had been talking up the secret weapon and brought one out to hunt. I wasn’t a very hard sell at that point. been shooting the hamr ever since and haven’t looked back. it’s waaaay more accurate than the lwrc 6.8. too bad I never did get a chance to really test the custom 6.8. after OinK replaced the upper receiver it was scary accurate too, as I hear arp barrels are.

note.. OinK said his hamr is a piston. no pistons offered yet. he converted his.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #7526716 06/04/19 02:44 PM
D
djones Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
speaking of OinK... he was hard to convert. he loved his 6.8 and also had a herrett. kept saying… why would I want to drop down in velocity from the herrett? well just as OinK gets confused about who actually kills the hogs, so he forgets it’s not just a ft per sec game. granted, all else being equal, sure I’ll take a faster bullet. I was shooting 130gr bullets faster in the hamr than I was shooting 120s in the 6.8. I handloaded and wasn’t quite as hot as factory, but hornady was showing some pressure signs in MY gun. I’ve found some of their ammo tends to run that way. anyway... accuracy, reliability, 30 rounds, low recoil for fast follow up shots and yes OinK… inexpensive to handload… especially after you copied my tnt bullet and recipe! we shoot the tnt because it doesn’t ricochet like some of the others. that’s important for OinK since about 4,900 of the 5,000+ rounds he’s fired never hit anything but peanuts.

OinK, I’ve been in caucus with the other members. none are too happy with your comment about your fellow members. the only thing we unanimously agreed on was that you weren’t talking about me. I’ll let them duke it out over the rest of the details.

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #7526734 06/04/19 03:08 PM
P
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Mr. Wilson,

I would definitely be interested in hearing what other THF'er have to say on the 300 Ham'r, I believe the two who have offered to T&E your barrels are straight shooters (in more ways than 1) and can give added details from an end user perspective. I hope you take them up on the offer.

Note: Not that Team Oink and your hunting experiences are leaving us short but I have found that different testers often reveal areas in performance that might have been missed at the PRO level... up

DJ,

You're a hoot , I've certainly enjoyed following your travels over the years and me thinks you're just as much Entertainer as you are Sportsman. Now that you're part of a group it provides an added layer of quality content, not quite Three Stooges but maybe A' Team (esque).... You knock OneK for hitting peanuts but we all know the low ricochet bullet choice is due in part to your dirt clod shooting abilities ! You could hit a fly between the eyes if it were located on a tennis ball size clod of dirt.

Pig_Popper cheers

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #7526763 06/04/19 03:41 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
rofl

Re: WILSON COMBAT 300 HAM'R [Re: dlrz71] #7526794 06/04/19 03:58 PM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I
That's hot.

Originally Posted by KRoyal
Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Page 6 of 152 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 151 152
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide