Forums46
Topics538,018
Posts9,731,880
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Deer hunting accuracy-your maximum range? [Re: freerange] #7511979 05/14/19 04:49 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Kinda similar to this. Use the backpack to build your base/position.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Deer hunting accuracy-your maximum range? [Re: freerange] #7511989 05/14/19 04:55 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Jason mentioned stability and support. That is the key factor in determining shot distance (along with of course wind, etc), but if I can not get steady for some reason...maybe sitting too long and my arm fell asleep, maybe I got caught in an awkward position...if I am uncomfortable with my steadiness, I will even pass on a 50 yard shot. I do a lot of hunting where I still hunt, or pick a good spot and sit at the base of a tree or large rock, or whatever else might provide me with cover. Regardless of where I sit or the tools that I have with me, I always shoulder my rifle and plan out how to steady myself to make a shot from the different areas that I expect a deer to come from. So once in the field, a shot that I normally may be comfortable at 200,250,or 300, suddenly becomes a pass.

Re: Deer hunting accuracy-your maximum range? [Re: unclebubba] #7512000 05/14/19 05:12 PM
F
freerange Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Fireman-thanks for the pics from your range. Very very impressed. Im kinda old school(but open minded) and new to reading all this stuff in the forum and the stuff im learning about LR shooting, marksmanship, equipment etc has been eye opening. By reading on here ive kind of gotten the impression its often times "hunters vs shooters" or "us vs them". From the looks of your range you are obviously offering to take paper punching to field/hunting application. I will likely some day come to learn at your range. Does anyone else know of ranges that offer that type setup?
Quitshootin-thanks for the pic. UncleBubba and Chad-good stuff too.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Deer hunting accuracy-your maximum range? [Re: freerange] #7512020 05/14/19 05:32 PM
P
Paralax22 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
Freerange, shooting off sticks for me is something I use when target shooting as I love to refine my abilities. I am not a LR competition guy so the bench is only used for zero purposes and confirming my 150 and 175 yard shot as if I was in a box blind. From there it is all prone, sitting, standing, and using my sticks or tripod I built. I don’t go to the range all year and shoot because I get enough of that in the Army as is. I have a different advantage to this topic then others so I almost should not have posted to this topic. I Graduated from Sniper School in 2004 and I am still Active Duty. In Sniper school you shoot off sticks, Tripod, and your buddy’s shoulder and back learning new shooting techniques and positions. That being said, the adrenaline from a deer in the crosshairs is no different then a human. So shooting sticks I will give you an honest 500 being my max at a plate (never done this with a Deer so take it as you want) but would prefer 400 and in just out of respect to an animal. The difference with me over some is I don’t pull the trigger just to pull it. If I don’t feel 100% in my shot, I don’t squeeze. Plate, Deer, Prairie Dog, neighbors cat it don’t matter. I am at the stage with shooting were I am refining myself not the learning phase. I enjoy teaching Marksmanship more then shooting now a days so that others can learn something and be better next time they go out.

JD

�Living Life One Round At A Time�
Re: Deer hunting accuracy-your maximum range? [Re: Paralax22] #7512044 05/14/19 06:00 PM
F
freerange Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Paralax22
Freerange, shooting off sticks for me is something I use when target shooting as I love to refine my abilities. I am not a LR competition guy so the bench is only used for zero purposes and confirming my 150 and 175 yard shot as if I was in a box blind. From there it is all prone, sitting, standing, and using my sticks or tripod I built. I don’t go to the range all year and shoot because I get enough of that in the Army as is. I have a different advantage to this topic then others so I almost should not have posted to this topic. I Graduated from Sniper School in 2004 and I am still Active Duty. In Sniper school you shoot off sticks, Tripod, and your buddy’s shoulder and back learning new shooting techniques and positions. That being said, the adrenaline from a deer in the crosshairs is no different then a human. So shooting sticks I will give you an honest 500 being my max at a plate (never done this with a Deer so take it as you want) but would prefer 400 and in just out of respect to an animal. The difference with me over some is I don’t pull the trigger just to pull it. If I don’t feel 100% in my shot, I don’t squeeze. Plate, Deer, Prairie Dog, neighbors cat it don’t matter. I am at the stage with shooting were I am refining myself not the learning phase. I enjoy teaching Marksmanship more then shooting now a days so that others can learn something and be better next time they go out.

Paralax-Im glad you posted. Thank you very much for your service to our Country. Your experience puts you in a different arena than most for sure but its very valuable to hear it as we, or I, can still apply it. I also shoot mostly all from field positions and I don't pull just to be pulling.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Deer hunting accuracy-your maximum range? [Re: freerange] #7512074 05/14/19 06:24 PM
S
SenkoSamurai Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by Paralax22

Paralax-Im glad you posted. Thank you very much for your service to our Country. Your experience puts you in a different arena than most for sure but its very valuable to hear it as we, or I, can still apply it. I also shoot mostly all from field positions and I don't pull just to be pulling.

+1, really enjoyed reading that, and thanks for what you do pal

Re: Deer hunting accuracy-your maximum range? [Re: freerange] #7512093 05/14/19 06:52 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Curious what some of yal have in your deer stands to shoot off of. Many speak of it as if sitting in a stand is just as good as a bench rest with sand bags or a bipod.

Our blind rest consists of a 2x2 window sill and that's it, even shooting from the blind is nothing like a bench rest or bipod.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Deer hunting accuracy-your maximum range? [Re: redchevy] #7512110 05/14/19 07:15 PM
P
Paralax22 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
I have a bag rest that drapes over the window and holds well. I got it from Bass Pro years ago but I think they still sell them. It works wonders for those blinds that are just a box and nothing special.

JD

�Living Life One Round At A Time�
Re: Deer hunting accuracy-your maximum range? [Re: freerange] #7512120 05/14/19 07:22 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I keep it around 1000 yards off hand, a little more with a rest of some sort.

Re: Deer hunting accuracy-your maximum range? [Re: redchevy] #7512164 05/14/19 08:20 PM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by redchevy
Curious what some of yal have in your deer stands to shoot off of. Many speak of it as if sitting in a stand is just as good as a bench rest with sand bags or a bipod.

Our blind rest consists of a 2x2 window sill and that's it, even shooting from the blind is nothing like a bench rest or bipod.

Here’s my blind/bench/bipod/bag setup... gets me way out past 200 yds

[Linked Image]

Re: Deer hunting accuracy-your maximum range? [Re: freerange] #7512194 05/14/19 08:56 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
250 with a good rest is my max. At that range I have to hold over about six inches.

Re: Deer hunting accuracy-your maximum range? [Re: freerange] #7512196 05/14/19 09:00 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
My stand has a rest wide enough to use a bipod for the front. I have them on each corner, so I also have rear elbow rests. A very solid platform to shoot from. I really like hunting from the ground, laying prone and shooting off of a bipod. My longest shots on deer have been this way set up on a grassy river bank. I always carry hand pruning shears to clear a path for my line of sight and barrel. It kills me, hunters that have blinds that cost 2k, nice windows and heaters and room for a small family. Nothing to rest their rifle on, and they're so big you can't shoot out of each side.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Deer hunting accuracy-your maximum range? [Re: freerange] #7512415 05/15/19 02:25 AM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
In what would be a normal shooting situation for me, which is resting the rifle forend on a blind window sill, I’m good to 300ish. A nice buck 2 or 3 years ago was at 275, and there was no concern about whether or not I could make the shot. He was still and broadside. Of course, it matters that I hunt on my own place, so I know distance to most prominent bushes, fence posts, and trees. Generally speaking, I won’t try a shot on a deer much over 300, though I have shot pigs and coyotes at 400ish. If the deer is moving, even slowly, I am reluctant to shoot unless I’m sure I can do it, and max distance shrinks a bit.

But, talk about my shooting skills is cheap. A week ago I was calling coyotes, when here came one out on the hay field. About 250-275, and he was loping at a good speed from right to left. I had the crosshairs on him, waiting for him to stop, if even for a second. Finally he slid to a stop, facing me, and I missed. Oooooo, I hate that. Point being that just maybe I’m not THAT darned good inside 300. Sun was in my eyes.....that’s what happened...

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Deer hunting accuracy-your maximum range? [Re: RedSnake] #7512439 05/15/19 03:00 AM
S
Scott W Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RedSnake

[Linked Image]

How big is that blind where you can fit that table in there?

In my current blind (4x6) I either use my pack or bog pod extended to the floor and am pretty stable. I need to build a new blind this summer and may incorporate a better rear support system.

To answer the OP's question, I would be comfortable out to 300 with little to no wind.

Originally Posted by Scott W
Re: Deer hunting accuracy-your maximum range? [Re: freerange] #7512525 05/15/19 12:18 PM
T
Trackman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Red Snake I noticed that TT glass, I have one as well that will at least let you get out to 300 if the sun is shining!!!!!!!! No kidding Tangent Theta scopes are without a doubt the best I've ever sat behind!

Re: Deer hunting accuracy-your maximum range? [Re: Scott W] #7512577 05/15/19 01:14 PM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by RedSnake

[Linked Image]

How big is that blind where you can fit that table in there?

In my current blind (4x6) I either use my pack or bog pod extended to the floor and am pretty stable. I need to build a new blind this summer and may incorporate a better rear support system.

To answer the OP's question, I would be comfortable out to 300 with little to no wind.

It’s a 4x6 blind. I cut a L-shaped piece of plywood, foam and vinyl wrapped, hinged to the front shelf, and has a folding leg. Bench can fold down flat against front wall.

Re: Deer hunting accuracy-your maximum range? [Re: freerange] #7512728 05/15/19 04:03 PM
S
Scott W Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
awesome! It will probably be copied!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide