Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Wound Ballistics: A Bullet’s Life on the Inside #7508467 05/09/19 07:38 PM
Ritter Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog

An interesting read covering the performance of different types of bullet construction.

Wound Ballistics: A Bullet’s Life on the Inside

Re: Wound Ballistics: A Bullet’s Life on the Inside [Re: Ritter] #7508471 05/09/19 07:46 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
From the article- "Also, lead and copper bullets created similar sized wound channels. These results allow us to skip the personal anecdotes and zoom straight to the data."

^^^ That's 100% false! If you take the same caliber and same bullet weight, the copper bullet will have a much smaller terminal performance, or wound cavity, than the lead bullet. This is exactly why a copper bullet penetrates so deep, is because it transfers less energy into the wound than a lead bullet. The reason why lead works so well is because the lead deforms easier and transfers more energy into the surrounding area being shot for a larger wound cavity and less penetration. If you want penetration and an exit wound, a copper bullet is best for this. But animals often run farther after being hit with a copper bullet for the same reasons. Lead is also more dense than copper.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Wound Ballistics: A Bullet’s Life on the Inside [Re: Ritter] #7508479 05/09/19 08:02 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Same bullet weights

Copper

Copper & Lead

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Wound Ballistics: A Bullet’s Life on the Inside [Re: Ritter] #7508536 05/09/19 09:43 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Now show me the same type test with say 7mm or 30 cal hunting weight bullets at 2900 to 3000 fps. 458 Socom velocities are not going to stress a bullet like higher velocities

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Wound Ballistics: A Bullet’s Life on the Inside [Re: Ritter] #7508700 05/10/19 01:38 AM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I have shot deer, elk, pigs, sheep, antelope and moose with everything from 22lr in the ear on does to 450 Marlin on 400lb plus sows, used rifles in 223 up to 340 Weatherby and once a 375 H&H, no two bullets, even from the same lot of ammo react exactly the same even when the scenarios are identical. It is the human equation, whether it is the person controlling the manufacturing of the bullet, loading the ammo or pulling the trigger.

I had a 100ish pound boar walk(although not far) after being shot twice with the 450 Marlin, had 400lb sows drop in their tracks and never twitch after one round, both of which were broadside thru the shoulder one hole in and one hole out you could plug with your index fingers.

All these videos do is show the possibilities, the gel in some of those videos has been used prior, that in itself changes the dynamics of the process and alters the results

If you read the FBI statistics on the 380 penetration test, the evidence will lead you to round nose FMJ in 95gr weights, offers over twice the penetration and energy transfer of HP or JHP ammo of the same weight. Are you going to carry FMJ ammo in your 380? Probably not, I know that I wouldn't.

To many variables in the varieties of bullet weights, velocity and diameter to have any meaningful discussion on wound characteristics, muscle density, fat density and coverage, bone strikes.

Put one in the boiler maker and turn the lights out, pretty simple concept, but surprisingly hard for some people to accomplish at times, myself included.

Those articles are written for a couple of purposes, the author to get paid and the underwriter to hock a few items. I would put more faith in the members here and there experiences than some pencil hound sitting behind a desk, the whole reason why the forum/chat was hatched.

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Wound Ballistics: A Bullet’s Life on the Inside [Re: Ritter] #7517960 05/22/19 10:36 PM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
I’d tend to agree with Chad’s assessement for solid copper (monolithic) bullets

However I’d venture to say that copper bullets which have been treated with scoring (skiving), or open tips, or engineered to fracture at certain points in order to “flower” are every bit as capable or comparable to lead core projectiles.

This is why it’s important to know where your copper bullets came from, what they were designed for, and to use them in an appropriate caliber that can drive them fast to erupt.

Regardless I’ve never much cared for comparing same weight bullets of different material because the copper are usually longer due to being less dense.

In my opinion a 130 copper will do as much ballistic damage as a 150 lead core if done right ....

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide