Forums46
Topics538,817
Posts9,741,688
Members87,118
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7498038 04/27/19 04:44 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
rolleyes

On so many levels 2Beez......

Go back to your last 5 bans and tell me I am wrong popcorn I am not posting this to be a prick but just stating the obvious

[Linked Image]
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7498040 04/27/19 04:58 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I’m not taking your “I’m bucking for moderator” bait 2Beez.

Unlike you who purports to speak for all, I can only speak for myself. Speaking for myself, your lectures don’t mean squat to me.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7498041 04/27/19 05:02 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler

Unlike you who purports to speak for all, I can only speak for myself. Speaking for myself, your lectures don’t mean squat to me.

I do not know what the hell you are talking about lol. There is no way I will ever be a mod on here.

[Linked Image]
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7498042 04/27/19 05:05 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler

Playing the victim card is funny though.

[Linked Image]
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: KRoyal] #7498077 04/27/19 10:33 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Just showing that competition shooters shoot WAY more than hunters.

I really don't see where the argument is on that one, maybe it's just the way you read it.

Shot competition for about 20 years and there's no doubt it's true. In the early 70's I jumped fairly deep into Bench-rest, Combat and Silhouettes both center-fire and rim-fire. Haven't shot any matches since. Since then I've stuck with just hunting. Now as a comparison there's just no arguments. I was going through ammunition, rifles, scopes and the the gear to hold them together at a high rate, one of the reason that helped me get out of comp shooting. Now I stick to hunting and yes I'm one of those that don't like to waste ammo. I'll check sights before hunting this year and that's about the gist of it. My bird hunting goes about the same, opening day will be the first time I shoot a shotgun this year. I haven't bought a hunting rifle in the last 6 years and that was for my wife and yes I'm one of those that have ammo that's ten years old. I caught a sale at Walmart when they were selling off inventory and 8 boxes of of 300 Weatherby 150 grain Nosler Partitions, scored those for 20 bucks a box. There's about a 99% chance I'll never buy another round for that caliber in the rest of my life. My binoculars are at least 30 years old and since they're Zeiss I expect them to out live me. Nope there just no comparison, I probably spend a 10th of what I use to.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: ntxtrapper] #7498085 04/27/19 11:07 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
It won't be the .243 It's the perfect cartridge for Texas deer hunting and everything else is inferior!

I have 3 of them, last one being a Ruger American Predator. My go to coyote rifle is the 243 pushing 58 to 70 grain bullets. Not a big fan of it as a deer rifle but with the right bullet it has very little problems handling it.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7498099 04/27/19 11:31 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
That post proves my point about the shooter vs. hunter mentality. If you really think the majority of gun/ammo sales are by competition shooters instead of hunters, I don’t know what to tell you except that you are badly mistaken. No, you are. Wrong, as usual. This is simple elementary school math. All those hunters you mentioned do not buy much ammo, do not buy many bullets even if they are a hand loader, and probably never will shoot out a barrel. I know some shooters that go through a barrel a every four months. They also hunt, and they kill what they want.

There are over 1,500,000 hunting licenses sold in Texas every year. Which is why the big gun sales season for all the retail outlets is in the late summer/early fall just prior to the hunting seasons. There are a helluva lot more people that hunt than shoot competitions or just for recreation alone. In other words, a helluva lot more people like me than like you. And people like you don't shoot them very much. Plenty of stories of the same ammo box of 20 that has been owned for years. Zero checked, at 100, carried hunting, one deer is shot, repeat next year. You said it yourself, previously.

I don't like bs going unchecked either, and you're so full of it, it spews out. Carry on, I know you will.

Ban camp champion troll.

How about another legal lesson on the portability of the Castle Doctrine? As always, you were so sure and condescending about that one too. And 100% wrong. Or about how 30+ year old cartridges suck (even though on another thread your personal favorite of 7mm-08 is even older than that?). Or how everything needs to be shot in the brainstem?

Knowing a lot about a few things does not translate into knowing everything about everything. Your problem is you simply don’t know what you don’t know. You prove that daily. BS spouted confidently and condescendingly is still BS.

Edit: see the figures presented below showing that hunters drive the spending drain more than all others combined.

Well I was not wrong about Castle Doctrine. I was off on a detail. But it is rich how you want to bring up something from a totally different thread, and could not stay on topic. Because you are losing. And I am glad I went to sleep last night and let so many other people argue against you, while you stood on your ilsand of smugness all alone, as usual.

I've said this before, and it srill has not go into your head, but here is a repeat. "When everyone else has a problem with you, you are the problem. And the problem is, you do not have the spine or the sack to admit when you are wrong.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7498205 04/27/19 03:28 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I'll do the less entertaining thing and get back to the OP. I think the next cartridge to bite the dust will be the 300BLK, even though I think it's a great round for the right application. I don't believe the 6.5 CM is going anywhere, and cartridges like the .270, 30-06, and .308 certainly aren't going anywhere. Those cartridges have withstood way too many "newcomers" over the years to get knocked out now.
I would actually love to switch our agency patrol rifles over to 300BLK from the current .223, but price and ammo availability would never allow it. For a short range patrol rifle application, I think the BLK would be an outstanding round.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: unclebubba] #7498210 04/27/19 03:39 PM
H
Hopedale Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by MClark

Could not find more recent data, from 5 years ago.
No Grendel, no Creedmoor.
Reading internet shooting forums gives an extremely slanted view of what is popular .

Here are Federal’s top sellers from 2014:

1. .223 Remington/5.56mm NATO
2. .308 Winchester/7.62x51mm NATO
3. .30-’06 Springfield
4. .30-30 Winchester
5. .270 Winchester
6. .243 Winchester
7. .300 Winchester Magnum
8. 7mm Remington Magnum
9. 7.62x39
10. .300 Winchester Short Magnum
11. .22-250 Remington

From
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2015/12/20/america-s-most-wanted-ammunition/

If average Joe Hunter goes out to buy a rifle he comes home with a 30-06, 270 Winchester, or 308 Winchester. If he dreams of elk it might be a 7 mm Remington Magmum. Go to a deer camp in Wisconsin or Minnesota, good chance no one there ever heard of a Creedmoor.

M

^^^this. The old standard calibers are not going anywhere anytime soon.

x2

[Linked Image]
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7498212 04/27/19 03:44 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Uh-0!!!

[Linked Image]

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7498228 04/27/19 04:24 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
It’s not a pissing contest. It’s just not letting bs go unchallenged. It’s one reason there’s so much of it on this particular forum.

Why, on this thread alone we’ve learned:

If you don’t shoot all animals in the brainstem you suck as a shot;
The .270 Win (and several other cartridges that have been going strong for over a century) will disappear soon;
Any cartridge over 30 years old is like an old car, sucks, and is not worth having;
.30-30s and .243s are for sentimental use only and not practical but 1200 yard rifles are; and
Competition shooters buy more guns and gear than hunters.

And that’s just a sampling.....

cheers

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7498331 04/27/19 08:05 PM
P_102 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I’m pretty sure you don’t see the CM or Grendel on the Federal list because their offerings for those calibers pretty much suck compared to Hornady.

P_102

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7498336 04/27/19 08:13 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Walmart and academy would sell waaaaaay more reloading equipment if the average hunter, shooter, joe blow bought it.

The fact of the matter is that most hunters/shooters go and buy a box or two of factory ammo, kill stuff at 100 yards with their 3x9 duplex scope, and never think twice about doing it any other way.

The competitive community just isn’t THAT big. Big enough to support some specialized companies, but not big enough to base an entire industry on.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7498347 04/27/19 08:28 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Brain shot FTW...

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7498349 04/27/19 08:33 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Speaking of reloading supplies at walmart, ya'll looking for some varget?

Attached Files 722771E4-DE2A-4F34-A058-2E2B2058D721.jpeg

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7498354 04/27/19 08:42 PM
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy

The competitive community just isn’t THAT big. Big enough to support some specialized companies, but not big enough to base an entire industry on.

I think that may have been accurate 5 years ago, however I think the numbers are flipping. According to the article that I posted earlier in the thread, there were only 11.5 million people who hunted in 2016 (based on license sales) around 10% of those were from TX alone. Which means that 10% of the countries hunters are concentrated in one state and that state is becoming more and more "urban" in thinking every year. Paired with the rise of the "hunting lease" and the $$ that goes along with it, and the numbers will continue to decline. I don't have last years numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is down below 10 million now.
By contrast, the number of shooters is increasing. In the demographic of minorities and women, it is growing rapidly. Along with that it the rise of local competitions that focus on fun and sound shooting techniques. IDPA is a national one that is growing fast. Another is the various rimfire competitions that are popping up all over. While they may not be "competitions" like what we remember in the 80's and 90's, they are competitions. And it wouldn't surprise me if the numbers that are participating in them, even casually (just like there are casual hunters) are greater than hunters by 2020.

As for why Walmart doesn't carry reloading equipment, that isn't their demographic. Hell, most WalMarts don't even carry firearms anymore. Does that mean that firearms sales are down?

#FighttheNoise
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7498358 04/27/19 08:47 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Nobodywill ever argue that avid competitors use more ammo and gear than the average hunter. What you're missing is that for every competitive shooter there are probably athousand hunters if not more. And we're suckers for marketing. Dudes will buy creedmoor rifles because they think they need one. Whether its a good cartridge or not, it is still a passing fad.

Look at the .280 Remington, and .280 AI especially. I got a buddy that only shoots a .280 AI, from what I have read it's a hair behind the 7mm Rem Mag. .280 AI, non magnum brass based on .30/06 vs the banded 7mm mag brass, has every reason to be at the top of the .284 food chain but it's not. Why is that?

I think it's wuite comparable to the creedmoor. It has good support but when people don't buy the ammo it will "fall from glory". The point blank range just isnt impressive and it is as simple as that. Inside 300 yards there are hundred year old cartridges that are popular despite plain that will knock the creedmoor's dick in the dirt.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7498446 04/27/19 10:47 PM
T
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
^this

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: HandgunHTR] #7498449 04/27/19 10:49 PM
T
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR

I think that may have been accurate 5 years ago, however I think the numbers are flipping. According to the article that I posted earlier in the thread, there were only 11.5 million people who hunted in 2016 (based on license sales) around 10% of those were from TX alone. Which means that 10% of the countries hunters are concentrated in one state and that state is becoming more and more "urban" in thinking every year. Paired with the rise of the "hunting lease" and the $$ that goes along with it, and the numbers will continue to decline. I don't have last years numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is down below 10 million now.
By contrast, the number of shooters is increasing. In the demographic of minorities and women, it is growing rapidly. Along with that it the rise of local competitions that focus on fun and sound shooting techniques. IDPA is a national one that is growing fast. Another is the various rimfire competitions that are popping up all over. While they may not be "competitions" like what we remember in the 80's and 90's, they are competitions. And it wouldn't surprise me if the numbers that are participating in them, even casually (just like there are casual hunters) are greater than hunters by 2020.

As for why Walmart doesn't carry reloading equipment, that isn't their demographic. Hell, most WalMarts don't even carry firearms anymore. Does that mean that firearms sales are down?

I know of several Walmart’s that do carry reloading equipment.

Idpa is stupid. Real men shoot 3 gun.

Competition shooting is not something that the masses are involved in. Going to the range and goofing off is.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7498453 04/27/19 10:53 PM
T
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I wonder how campfires were during the buffalo hunting days.

“I use a 45-70, cause that’s what the Army uses.”
“I like the 45-110 cause more powder is always good.”
I go with the 50-90. No replacement for displacement.”

Ah, some things never change. roflmao

Last edited by Tactical Cowboy; 04/27/19 11:33 PM.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7498471 04/27/19 11:25 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I wonder how campfires were during the buffalo hunting days.

“I use a 45-70, cause that’s what the Army uses.”
“I like the 45-100 cause more powder is always good.”
I go with the 50-90. No replacement for displacement.”

Ah, some things never change. roflmao

These conversations make me realize how pointless it is to buy all these popular cartridges and rifles.

I am good and ready to keep an AR for defense, and just hunt with a single shot 12 guage and a bow, and call it good. Everything else is just excess.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Brother in-law] #7498486 04/27/19 11:52 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted by Brother in-law
Only old people

I resemble that realmad

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7498557 04/28/19 01:26 AM
R
rickt300 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
20 pages! Well I like the Creed but already have several rifles chambered for cartridges the Creed can't do anything better than. I personally think it is at it's best replacing the 243.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: rickt300] #7498560 04/28/19 01:27 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by rickt300
20 pages! Well I like the Creed but already have several rifles chambered for cartridges the Creed can't do anything better than. I personally think it is at it's best replacing the 243.

WORD

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7498570 04/28/19 01:39 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Where are those 6.5 creedore varmint loads? You know, the 50-60 grain, 4,000 fps varmint loads for ghogs and etc?

This goes back to that one for all thread. One cartridge for everything from long range to deer to varmint hunting in texas would be .243.

Last edited by regularguy11B; 04/28/19 01:39 AM.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide