Forums46
Topics538,792
Posts9,741,348
Members87,113
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7497943 04/27/19 02:48 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
It’s not a pissing contest. It’s just not letting bs go unchallenged. It’s one reason there’s so much of it on this particular forum.

Why, on this thread alone we’ve learned:

If you don’t shoot all animals in the brainstem you suck as a shot;
The .270 Win (and several other cartridges that have been going strong for over a century) will disappear soon;
Any cartridge over 30 years old is like an old car, sucks, and is not worth having;
.30-30s and .243s are for sentimental use only and not practical but 1200 yard rifles are; and
Competition shooters buy more guns and gear than hunters.

And that’s just a sampling.....

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7497946 04/27/19 02:53 AM
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
For those of you saying that the 6.5CM is not suitable for elk or moose, how do you explain all of moose and red stag taken in Europe with the 6.5X55 each year?

One of the main reasons why the 6.5CM is as popular as it with hunters and will continue to be is that we now have an "American" version of the 6.5X55 that fits in a short action. It will handle all North American big game with the exception of Alaskan Brown Bear, just like the 6.5X55 will handle everything in Europe.

Sectional Density and Ballistic Coefficient may sound like bunk, but physics don't lie and the 6.5CM is as close to the perfect cartridge as we can get right now with the current bullet and powders that we are able to manufacture.

And, before you label me a fanboi, I don't own a 6.5CM and I don't plan to own one anytime soon. I do most of my hunting and shooting with what most people would already call obsolete cartridges (with the exception of my 6.8SPC AR), because I love reloading and shooting oddballs.

#FighttheNoise
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7497948 04/27/19 02:55 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
It’s not a pissing contest. It’s just not letting bs go unchallenged.

Counselor - Don't you argue for a living? Have you tried yoga? laugh

('Kidding mi compadre.)

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7497951 04/27/19 02:56 AM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I like the 308 Win.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7497953 04/27/19 02:58 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
It’s “suitable” in that it will do the job on elk and moose, but there are better options.
(Particularly for elk - which are tough, tough animals. Moose are big but are actually the opposite of tough. Hardly any bullet will knock them flat, but any bullet that will kill medium sized game will kill them easily. I’m taking a .35 Rem levergun on my next moose hunt.)

I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Creekrunner] #7497954 04/27/19 02:59 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
It’s not a pissing contest. It’s just not letting bs go unchallenged.

Counselor - Don't you argue for a living? Have you tried yoga? laugh

('Kidding mi compadre.)

Lol it no worky. Keeping all the THF balls in the air is my pastime. smile

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7497955 04/27/19 03:00 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
What you guys up to in here??

[Linked Image]

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: KRoyal] #7497960 04/27/19 03:05 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by KRoyal

6 pages on my compooter.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7497964 04/27/19 03:07 AM
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
It’s not a pissing contest. It’s just not letting bs go unchallenged. It’s one reason there’s so much of it on this particular forum.

I am going to have to agree with the others on this one.

Maybe 15% of hunters may buy a new gun in a year, but as we have heard in this thread, and others, most of us are using the same rifles that we were 5-10 years ago. Also, as we have heard multiple times on this forum (and others) a majority of "hunters" think it is a waste of ammo to shoot more than three shots a year to check zero and then may shoot 5 shots a year at deer/hogs/coyotes. Yes, there are some that shoot varmints that shoot a bunch, but other than those who regularly shoot prairie dogs, non of them are shooting the volume that competition shooters are.
Therefore, we have to assume that competition shooters buy far more ammo and/or components than hunters, even when you factor in the difference in numbers between comp shooters and hunters (there are quite a few cross-overs these days as well). As for the number of guns, comp shooters may not buy new actions, but they definitely buy barrels at a much greater rate. There is a reason that Shilen, Bartlein and others have been in business as long as they have, and it ain't hunters. That being said, comp shooters are much more likely to buy new guns at a higher rate than hunters as well. With the guns comes new glass and other accessories, such as rests, spotters and range bags.

So, all-in-all, I would bet that competition shooters actually do buy more guns and gear than hunters.

#FighttheNoise
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: KRoyal] #7497965 04/27/19 03:08 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

Just waiting on someone to get all upset and start talking about gerbils or weasels or ferrets or how I suck as a shot or whatever....

grin

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7497968 04/27/19 03:10 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend

Just waiting on someone to get all upset and start talking about gerbils or weasels or ferrets or how I suck as a shot or whatever....

grin

I’ll text Jeremy for you.

[Linked Image]

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: HandgunHTR] #7497970 04/27/19 03:12 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR

Maybe 15% of hunters may buy a new gun in a year, but as we have heard in this thread, and others, most of us are using the same rifles that we were 5-10 years ago. Also, as we have heard multiple times on this forum (and others) a majority of "hunters" think it is a waste of ammo to shoot more than three shots a year to check zero and then may shoot 5 shots a year at deer/hogs/coyotes. Yes, there are some that shoot varmints that shoot a bunch, but other than those who regularly shoot prairie dogs, non of them are shooting the volume that competition shooters are.
Therefore, we have to assume that competition shooters buy far more ammo and/or components than hunters, even when you factor in the difference in numbers between comp shooters and hunters (there are quite a few cross-overs these days as well). As for the number of guns, comp shooters may not buy new actions, but they definitely buy barrels at a much greater rate. There is a reason that Shilen, Bartlein and others have been in business as long as they have, and it ain't hunters. That being said, comp shooters are much more likely to buy new guns at a higher rate than hunters as well. With the guns comes new glass and other accessories, such as rests, spotters and range bags.

So, all-in-all, I would bet that competition shooters actually do buy more guns and gear than hunters.

I’ll bet you would lose that bet.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: KRoyal] #7497977 04/27/19 03:14 AM
I
ImTheReasonDovesMourn Offline
Snarky Mark
Snarky Mark
I

We're learning that NP like to keep THF balls. He says he likes to keep them in "the air", which I'm guessing is a fancy lawyer codename for "prison wallet."

Haha yea I polished that thing for hours.
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7497978 04/27/19 03:17 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend

You would lose that bet.

I’d also wager that competition shooters buy WAY more ammo, guns, and gear than hunters.

[Linked Image]

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: HandgunHTR] #7497980 04/27/19 03:18 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

You underestimate the power of the masses. No sales job for you!

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7497981 04/27/19 03:18 AM
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H

You would lose that bet.

Also, considering the #1 style of long gun being sold for the last 5 years is the AR-15, I would say that the "recreational shooter" is probably the biggest consumer of firearms right now.

I am not so sure I would lose that bet when you consider how many different types of firearms completions are out there. We are not just talking F-class or Palma shooters.

#FighttheNoise
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: patriot07] #7497983 04/27/19 03:22 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef

The vast majority of people I know with guns ARE not hunters that fill their freezers every year with a 223, 22-250, 243. 25-06. 270, 30-30, & 30-06 and they don't give a damn about ballistic coefficients etc.

As for rifle sales, the competition shooters buy way, way more stuff than the hunters. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I have a 30-30 that's literally never been out of the safe except to check function.

That's a shame, you need to put it to use. If you've never stalked deer or pigs with an open sight 30-30 lever gun you are missing out.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: skinnerback] #7497985 04/27/19 03:23 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by skinnerback

The vast majority of people I know with guns ARE not hunters that fill their freezers every year with a 223, 22-250, 243. 25-06. 270, 30-30, & 30-06 and they don't give a damn about ballistic coefficients etc.

As for rifle sales, the competition shooters buy way, way more stuff than the hunters. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I have a 30-30 that's literally never been out of the safe except to check function.

That's a shame, you need to put it to use. If you've never stalked deer or pigs with an open sight 30-30 lever gun you are missing out.

Lies Skinner LIES!!!!

[Linked Image]

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7497986 04/27/19 03:23 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Have no clue what "F-class" or "Palma" means. 'Hope you feel superior. 'Out.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Creekrunner] #7497992 04/27/19 03:30 AM
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H

And you are under the false impression that more users = more use.

I realize that this is anecdotal, but here goes...

I only shoot a few competitions a year, none of them long range rifle, btw, but I shoot well over 5,000 rounds of ammunition every year. About half of that is .22LR, but that still means I shoot over 2,500 rounds of centerfire ammo each year in comp and practice for those comps.
I also buy at least one-two new guns each year and at least one barrel each year for one of my existing guns. I sell at least one gun each year and mostly to other comp shooters.
The guns that I hunt with are the same ones I hunted with 5 years ago. My hunting gun turn over is maybe one every 7 years. I do shoot a lot of ammo in whichever gun I decide to hunt with, but that is because I like to shoot and I want to make sure I can make any shot that is presented to me.
Most comp shooters I know are similar to me.

So, my question is, how many "average" hunters does it take to equal my totals?

#FighttheNoise
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #7497994 04/27/19 03:36 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
That post proves my point about the shooter vs. hunter mentality. If you really think the majority of gun/ammo sales are by competition shooters instead of hunters, I don’t know what to tell you except that you are badly mistaken. No, you are. Wrong, as usual. This is simple elementary school math. All those hunters you mentioned do not buy much ammo, do not buy many bullets even if they are a hand loader, and probably never will shoot out a barrel. I know some shooters that go through a barrel a every four months. They also hunt, and they kill what they want.

There are over 1,500,000 hunting licenses sold in Texas every year. Which is why the big gun sales season for all the retail outlets is in the late summer/early fall just prior to the hunting seasons. There are a helluva lot more people that hunt than shoot competitions or just for recreation alone. In other words, a helluva lot more people like me than like you. And people like you don't shoot them very much. Plenty of stories of the same ammo box of 20 that has been owned for years. Zero checked, at 100, carried hunting, one deer is shot, repeat next year. You said it yourself, previously.

I don't like bs going unchecked either, and you're so full of it, it spews out. Carry on, I know you will.

Ban camp champion troll.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: txtrophy85] #7497995 04/27/19 03:36 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
So what exactly does the “hunter” ammo cabinet look like?? I probably have more ammo here than a hunter would shoot in 10 years. This isn’t including my reloading bench and components I actually reload for, this is only factory ammo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: HandgunHTR] #7497998 04/27/19 03:40 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N

And you are under the false impression that more users = more use.

I realize that this is anecdotal, but here goes...

I only shoot a few competitions a year, none of them long range rifle, btw, but I shoot well over 5,000 rounds of ammunition every year. About half of that is .22LR, but that still means I shoot over 2,500 rounds of centerfire ammo each year in comp and practice for those comps.
I also buy at least one-two new guns each year and at least one barrel each year for one of my existing guns. I sell at least one gun each year and mostly to other comp shooters.
The guns that I hunt with are the same ones I hunted with 5 years ago. My hunting gun turn over is maybe one every 7 years. I do shoot a lot of ammo in whichever gun I decide to hunt with, but that is because I like to shoot and I want to make sure I can make any shot that is presented to me.
Most comp shooters I know are similar to me.

So, my question is, how many "average" hunters does it take to equal my totals?

Open your eyes and look at the commercial market and advertising - it’s 98% aimed at the hunting community. There’s a reason for that. It’s because hunters drive the market. Most people don’t have a clue about competition shooting and never will.

That’s like saying a dozen high end steakhouses in D/FW generate more income than the thousands of McDonald’s, Taco Bells, and other fast food restaurants in D/FW, all of which trade on the NYSE. It’s ludicrous.

Geez.

Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: KRoyal] #7497999 04/27/19 03:40 AM
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
So what exactly does the “hunter” ammo cabinet look like?? I probably have more ammo here than a hunter would shoot in 10 years. This isn’t including my reloading bench and components I actually reload for, this is only factory ammo.

[Linked Image]

That's not hunter... thats PREPPER! banana flag eeks333

#FighttheNoise
Re: What is the next cartridge to fall from glory? [Re: HandgunHTR] #7498001 04/27/19 03:45 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend

[Linked Image]

That's not hunter... thats PREPPER! banana flag eeks333

That’s all competition ammo besides the 300BLK and shotgun. I only hunt hogs, dove, and duck. Every now and then I’ll break out the 308 on a hot but the rest is all competition ammo. Just showing that competition shooters shoot WAY more than hunters. But I’m definitely borderline prepper lol.

[Linked Image]

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide