Forums46
Topics538,024
Posts9,731,992
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What is the law about a 15 year old hunting pigs [Re: sqiggy] #7498155 04/27/19 01:57 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Originally Posted by sqiggy
Originally Posted by TCM3
Originally Posted by sqiggy
Originally Posted by bigdavehunting
If the boy is hunting by himself a hunter education course is required. No Lic. needed if hunting with his dad. But the real question is are they harvesting them? If its for harvest it becomes hunting , if it is for a nuisance then no licenses are needed. But if for nuisance they must be left alone and not harvested for the meat. I would say if harvesting have a lic. period.

This is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO incorrect. Please show us where this is even stated in the Annual Hunting Guide. scratch

I saw on Lone star law the other day a warden said if you are doing any sort of hunting whether it be predator, hogs or anything you need a license.
Youth license is what $7

The thing about calling a GW, you can ask the same question to 10 different GW and get 10 different answers most of the time. The issue of hunting hogs with a license/without a license has been brought up so many times, it's like beating a dead horse. I don't worry about it because I have a Lifetime License. Guys that come from out of state to hunt hogs on my place, I tell them they don't need one. Some will get one, some won't. I don't care.
If the kid in question lives in Texas, he should already have a youth license unless this is his first time to hunt. In that case, he shouldn't be hunting by himself. And to hunt by himself, he must have Hunter's Ed.

Feb 7, 2019, 2:32 PM
to Stormy

Thank you.
Some online discussion in hunting forums suggests that this decision is against state statute as it is written, but can you tell me is there any law or state statute that states depredating hogs have to be left laying in the field and not salvaged for food?
Some are questioning if you do not buy a license to hunt for hogs on private land you are still violating state statute even with this decision made by the commission or directors. Has this been run by the state AG or anyone for an opinion? They argue only the legislature can change the mandate that all must have a license to hunt any animal in Texas.
They are also arguing some GW may choose to write tickets for no license since state law states license is needed to hunt any animal in Texas.

I guess my main question is this a decision that eventually has to go before your legislature to change to be completely legal?

Stormy King <Stormy.King@tpwd.texas.gov>
Feb 7, 2019, 2:49 PM
to me

Yes, this was passed by the legislature and is current statute. It was not a decision made under the regulatory authority of our commission. It was proposed and passed by the legislature in response, in part, to the economic effect feral hogs have on Texas agriculture. Texas Parks and Wildife has developed and issued guidance to law enforcement to ensure consistent enforcement of the statute. Hope this helps.

Thank you

Re: What is the law about a 15 year old hunting pigs [Re: Mr. T.] #7498156 04/27/19 01:58 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
I have not seen anything about the progress of HB 3550 or SB 317 yet.

Re: What is the law about a 15 year old hunting pigs [Re: Mr. T.] #7498864 04/28/19 04:34 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
1/2 mile apart is not "accompanied" so Hunters Ed required. License is cheap insurance but not legally required for hogs on private land for destruction with land owner/agent's permission.
Just tell them you require them to abide by all TX Dept of Wildlife regulations and rules and suggest they have proper license, hunters ed and idenfication on them

Re: What is the law about a 15 year old hunting pigs [Re: Mr. T.] #7507871 05/09/19 02:03 AM
L
Lotto Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
hunting license is required of any person (resident or nonresident), of any age, to hunt any animal, bird, frog or turtle in this state, except the following:

coyotes, if the coyotes are attacking, about to attack, or have recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowl.
depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non- resident) or landowner’s agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner’s land.
fur-bearing animals, if the hunter possesses a commercial trapper’s license.
depredating fur-bearing animals, if a landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner’s agent is taking fur-bearing animals causing depredation on the landowner’s land. No portion of the nuisance fur-bearer may be possessed, sold or retained for any purpose.
All laws and regulations governing hunter education requirements still apply.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide