T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by don k
I never heard of a fawning area.

I take these to be tall and thick grassy areas where does can better hide a fawn. Some have even suggested not mowing during the fawning season to give does more places to hide their fawns.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Concern with year-round feeding [Re: Texas Dan] #7478855 04/05/19 06:45 PM
W
woolybooger Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Great point. Not sure about our deer, but this is true when it comes to bobcats/coons on my place. The bobcats will hide in the treeline and snatch the coons off the feeder. A sight to see...

Re: Concern with year-round feeding [Re: woolybooger] #7478863 04/05/19 06:54 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by woolybooger
Great point. Not sure about our deer, but this is true when it comes to bobcats/coons on my place. The bobcats will hide in the treeline and snatch the coons off the feeder. A sight to see...

I would like to see that!

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Concern with year-round feeding [Re: Texas Dan] #7478891 04/05/19 07:25 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Im sure all properties and parts of the state and other states are different. Our propery doesn't have feeding areas and bedding areas and pinch points and fawning areas etc. It is an unchanging constant brush and grass for the whole property except senderos and what small areas we have cleared.

We have a sky high coyote/bobcat population, when the sun goes down they are howling all over, would think they were in your shirt pocket if you didn't know any better, constantly find fresh tracks and scat see them and on trail cameras. We also have a pretty strong fawn crop year in and year out even in drought years. We do feed free choice protein and corn year round.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Concern with year-round feeding [Re: Texas Dan] #7479005 04/05/19 10:52 PM
F
fishbait Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
You never heard of "fawning areas" because that is my name I gave to the process, sorry bout that. I also found fawns near the pen but I made no effort to find the fawning areas in and about the pen. I would expect that the fawning areas are close as I see the same fawns most of the time within a 100 yds. .It appears the same does has fawns the same place each year...most of the time there are 5 fawns in the area of my pen.
Now to address the issue that fawns will stay in the same place for a length of time to avoid predators. I can only say that the fawns will stay in the same area for a length of time...usually about a month...but why? I am not sure yet...maybe some day I will learn that. I spend thousands of hours studying the deer heard each year for the last ten years. Doing this you can't help learning some things...some will apply to your ranch possibly or maybe not. Please understand I am not sharing my information to show off ...just to share information with you. I have no reason to share with ya other than I think you would appreciate the information. Hearing some information needs some input to help to understand the things I have learned.

Re: Concern with year-round feeding [Re: Texas Dan] #7479121 04/06/19 12:32 AM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
I never heard of a fawning area.

I take these to be tall and thick grassy areas where does can better hide a fawn. Some have even suggested not mowing during the fawning season to give does more places to hide their fawns.

Exactly. We won't mow until summer. Leave tall grassy areas alone. Perfect fawning cover. Numerous watering areas help to keep predators guessing where the deer will be.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Concern with year-round feeding [Re: Texas Dan] #7479177 04/06/19 01:32 AM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I think the fawning area term is a good one, because that describes the area around our house. Always fawns in the area in the spring. And I have a corn feeder in the same area, so I see Mom eating corn while the fawns are
50ish yards away. It’s quite a while till the fawns eat corn.

I don’t mow pastures around the house till the wildflowers seed out, so that fits well with the fawns having tall grass to hide in. And I’ll tell you that it does not take much grass to hide a fawn. The wife uses binocs to find their ears sticking up.

When it does come time to shred the yard pasture, I have to be real alert to not shred a fawn. Haven’t shredded one yet, but it has been close once or twice. Just missed one years ago that was in tall grass near a pond. The little fawn wobbled into the shallow water and went deep enough that only the ear tips, eyes, and nostrils were out of the water. If I hadn't seen it do that, I would not have believed it.

Had one fawn 30 feet from the front porch, in the clump of grass around a tree trunk. Never would have known it was there, but our big old Maine Coon tomcat stalked it while I was having coffee. He sneaked right up on it, sniffed its head and took a big paw and tapped the fawn on the top of the head a couple of times. That was too much for the fawn, which got up and wobbled off about 50 yards to another grass clump.

We love watching the fawns.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Concern with year-round feeding [Re: 603Country] #7479260 04/06/19 02:58 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by 603Country
I think the fawning area term is a good one, because that describes the area around our house. Always fawns in the area in the spring. And I have a corn feeder in the same area, so I see Mom eating corn while the fawns are
50ish yards away. It’s quite a while till the fawns eat corn.

I don’t mow pastures around the house till the wildflowers seed out, so that fits well with the fawns having tall grass to hide in. And I’ll tell you that it does not take much grass to hide a fawn. The wife uses binocs to find their ears sticking up.

When it does come time to shred the yard pasture, I have to be real alert to not shred a fawn. Haven’t shredded one yet, but it has been close once or twice. Just missed one years ago that was in tall grass near a pond. The little fawn wobbled into the shallow water and went deep enough that only the ear tips, eyes, and nostrils were out of the water. If I hadn't seen it do that, I would not have believed it.

Had one fawn 30 feet from the front porch, in the clump of grass around a tree trunk. Never would have known it was there, but our big old Maine Coon tomcat stalked it while I was having coffee. He sneaked right up on it, sniffed its head and took a big paw and tapped the fawn on the top of the head a couple of times. That was too much for the fawn, which got up and wobbled off about 50 yards to another grass clump.

We love watching the fawns.

I've known bucks to bed near houses and thought it must be because they've learned the sounds of human activity are no threat to them but deter predators. I've seen them do the same near public roads. It would make sense that does with fawns might choose to bed near houses for the same reasons.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/06/19 03:22 AM.

Re: Concern with year-round feeding [Re: Texas Dan] #7479582 04/06/19 03:05 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Always drove me nuts cutting hay in high school, they hide the fawns in the hay fields and it was inevitable running some through the cutter.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Concern with year-round feeding [Re: Texas Dan] #7480047 04/07/19 12:12 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Great fawning covers solves lots of issues with predators. I am not concerned about the year feeding as much as am about limited water sources....like water troughs. Not all deer will go to a feeder but they will all go to water a couple of times per day. So do predators. So now I guess "they" would want you to shut off water during fawning season? rolleyes
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Concern with year-round feeding [Re: stxranchman] #7480668 04/07/19 05:02 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Great fawning covers solves lots of issues with predators. I am not concerned about the year feeding as much as am about limited water sources....like water troughs. Not all deer will go to a feeder but they will all go to water a couple of times per day. So do predators. So now I guess "they" would want you to shut off water during fawning season? rolleyes

Having several that catch rainwater might make it harder for predators to cover all of them during the fawning season.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/07/19 05:04 PM.

Re: Concern with year-round feeding [Re: Texas Dan] #7480943 04/07/19 11:00 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I have lived in the country my entire life. I have never seen an area where Does have fawns each year. They try to go off by themselves to fawn. This is mostly for the bonding period. An animal when it first gives birth needs it to be alone with the offspring to bond. The baby has no idea what is going on. It takes a week or two to for it to know its mother. During this time the mother stays with it quite a bit except when eating or drinking. After this time the fawn will start going with the doe. She may park it some place at times and leave it. After about 3 weeks the fawn will be with her most of the time. Coyotes and Bobcats are very smart. Smarter than deer. If they knew there were certain areas that were the so called"birthing area" where do you think they would be doing most of their hunting. Right, not a feed pen. The only thing that keeps coyotes and bobcats from eating deer is if there are plenty of mice, rats or rabbits.

Re: Concern with year-round feeding [Re: don k] #7481271 04/08/19 12:50 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
The only thing that keeps coyotes and bobcats from eating deer is if there are plenty of mice, rats or rabbits.

I have purposely killed and left feral hogs in the woods with the thought it might give the coyotes something to eat when they might otherwise be searching for fawns.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 04/08/19 12:51 PM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide